• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Teknoman

I kinda want to make a map just for the sake of drawing my own danger icons. Still going to wait for impressions though, since the only first person dungeon crawlers i've played are Etrian Odyssey series, Shining in the Darkness, and SMT Strange Journey.

hitoshi

Well, I don't think any of you speaks Hungarian, but my review was posted yesterday :)

http://bit.ly/Hcl9Qk

I gave it a
because of the combat system and the non-random level-design. But it's a really really great game, nonetheless.

Orcastar

Well, I don't think any of you speaks Hungarian, but my review was posted yesterday :)

I gave it a
because of the combat system and the non-random level-design. But it's a really really great game, nonetheless.
What? Are they saying the game would be better if the dungeon was randomly generated? That's absurd.

What? Are they saying the game would be better if the dungeon was randomly generated? That's absurd.

Yeah random levels are good for roguelikes and phat lewt RPGs.

Old-school dungeon crawlers NEED handcrafted dungeons with crazy traps, pits, and hidden under that moss patch buttons.

How could you achieve this:

rTrBF.gif

(Might and Magic 1)

with random level design?

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I definitely don't want all random levels either, but I wouldn't mind some random levels, like if the game took place in multiple dungeons and had some outdoor areas like Lands of Lore, and they included an optional extra-high difficulty dungeon that was randomly generated from a high number of pre-made puzzles and patterns so it could be random but still thought out.

From the reviews/previews, it sounds like they did some neat stuff with puzzles in this game, and I imagine random levels would hurt that a bit.

scy

Well, random level design would've been nice for repeat playthroughs. Maybe a small dungeon later on down the road for this but not the main one. And, as Minsc mentions, puzzles kind of get watered down if we're looking at random design.

Map editor open to community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Random generated levels.

You get all the extra content to spend as many hours as you want with the game, but with levels that are done by a human.

Map editor open to community >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Random generated levels.

You get all the extra content to spend as many hours as you want with the game, but with levels that are done by a human.

This. The groundswell of support is going to guarantee community content for a while, making this an incredible value for a game.

Hesemonni

Banned
Yeah, I definitely don't want all random levels either, but I wouldn't mind some random levels, like if the game took place in multiple dungeons and had some outdoor areas like Lands of Lore, and they included an optional extra-high difficulty dungeon that was randomly generated from a high number of pre-made puzzles and patterns so it could be random but still thought out.
Best first-person dungeon crawler out there?

Why did have to fuck up with the sequels so much?

duckroll

If I'm playing a loot based dungeon crawler which is meant to be fast and replayable, I would love random generation for every game like that. But first person dungeon RPGs? Random? What? I don't even understand...

Wow, I've been playing Eye of the Beholder lately on DOSbox, as well as the excellent Undercroft on iOS so I am ready for more old school crawlers!

garath

I gave it a

Unfortunately I don't read Hungarian so I can't read the review but I can't get behind docking points for no random dungeons. Part of the charm of this type of game is the handcrafted dungeons with secret rooms, traps and puzzles. As long as the length of the game is sufficient then there's really no need for random dungeons, especially with the community map building.

Combat system criticisms I'd like to hear though.

Mugaaz

Demise : Ascension is my favorite dungeon crawler ever, got like 400 hours played on it. Really looking forward to a dungeon crawler with current graphics, hope the gameplay lives up too!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Hey Songbird I sent you the PM you asked for!

Hopefully it is not too long, no?

Thanks very much mate, and sorry for being so slow. I'll pick and choose three or four that I've played myself from your recommendations. If you'd like to post the rest or the thing in it's entirety here I will link to it.

The way you do it is design 40-50 floors and then pick 16 of them for any given playthrough. Maybe have static floors every once in a while in order to tell a better story (first floor and last floor are always the same, etc.).

Or to be a little more random, you design puzzles/areas of interest that can fit in one quadrant of a map. When generating a floor, pick anywhere from 1-4 puzzle areas to use randomly, and generate a maze of rooms for any unfilled areas.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
As long as we're pimping other games, have you guys tried The Quest: Gold (iOS & PC)? It's sort of like Elder Scrolls in that it's open world with quests but there are a ton of dungeons and it's tile based.

hVUsU.jpg

Tess3ract

Banned
As long as we're pimping other games, have you guys tried The Quest: Gold (iOS & PC)? It's sort of like Elder Scrolls in that it's open world with quests but there are a ton of dungeons and it's tile based.

hVUsU.jpg
Wait since when the fuck was The Quest on PC?

edit: it's twice as much money to buy it on PC than iOS -_-

also it only has the first expansion pack. There are 5.

Ohmwrecker

Neo Member
Here's a short video review that I put together, which I'll also be embedding shortly at Voodoo Extreme. Some pros and cons are listed in the video description, this is just a trial at a new "short" review format.

http://youtu.be/fvIcLoIF25M

Now that I can talk about it, I loved the game. Seriously, it's got the best puzzles in my opinion since Portal 2, and it does a really great job at bringing back this style of RPG. I really find it amazing that just four guys put this together, no Kickstarter or anything else needed up front.

Here's a short video review that I put together, which I'll also be embedding shortly at Voodoo Extreme. Some pros and cons are listed in the video description, this is just a trial at a new "short" review format.

Now that I can talk about it, I loved the game. Seriously, it's got the best puzzles in my opinion since Portal 2, and it does a really great job at bringing back this style of RPG. I really find it amazing that just four guys put this together, no Kickstarter or anything else needed up front.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I NEED THIS GAME NAO

Ohmwrecker

Neo Member
Nice and concise, I like it.

Well thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback!

So here's a dilemma I'm dealing with now that the video review is done. I've got my entire LoG playthrough recorded from start to finish, including a ton of puzzle solutions. I can't decide if I should put together some videos guides for launch day or not.

It's like... I want to help everyone, but at the same time I don't want people to give up on puzzles too fast. One of the great things about reviewing the game was that we had to figure out everything on our own. :)

What do you guys think?

kafiend

Well thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback!

So here's a dilemma I'm dealing with now that the video review is done. I've got my entire LoG playthrough recorded from start to finish, including a ton of puzzle solutions. I can't decide if I should put together some videos guides for launch day or not.

It's like... I want to help everyone, but at the same time I don't want people to give up on puzzles too fast. One of the great things about reviewing the game was that we had to figure out everything on our own. :)

What do you guys think?

How about we have the pleasure of enjoying the game ourselves in much the same way as you did.

Ohmwrecker

Neo Member
How about we have the pleasure of enjoying the game ourselves in much the same way as you did.

I'd prefer that. Before this OT was made though I was asked by the OP if I'd put some tips / guide stuff together. I'm open to it... assuming most people could resist unless they were absolutely desperate for help.

Do you think it'd be too tempting?

Minsc

Gold Member
Seriously, it's got the best puzzles in my opinion since Portal 2, and it does a really great job at bringing back this style of RPG. I really find it amazing that just four guys put this together, no Kickstarter or anything else needed up front.

Nice, seeing the Portal 2 puzzle comparison mentioned a few times now (even if it is an oversell), looking forward to playing!

eXistor

Totally getting this. I knew the title but didn't realise this was an oldskool dungeon crawler. Looks atmospheric as hell and it's been quite a while since I last played one of these.

What kind of party builds are you guys thinking?

I've seen the most common setup as two warriors up front, one rogue and one mage in back...but I think I'm going to go for a warrior and rogue up front, two mages in back. I know it will probably be more challenging, but I love spellcasters and hopefully two will give me a wide variety of magic at my disposal.

duckroll

What kind of party builds are you guys thinking?

I've seen the most common setup as two warriors up front, one rogue and one mage in back...but I think I'm going to go for a warrior and rogue up front, two mages in back. I know it will probably be more challenging, but I love spellcasters and hopefully two will give me a wide variety of magic at my disposal.

I'm going to make a human fighter and a minotaur fighter as my front line. The human will be jiji and the minotaur will be Matsuno. duckroll is probably going to be a human rogue in the back row, together with his waifu Tali who will be an insectoid mage.

Don't judge me. :(

nickcv

I'm going to make a human fighter and a minotaur fighter as my front line. The human will be jiji and the minotaur will be Matsuno. duckroll is probably going to be a human rogue in the back row, together with his waifu Tali who will be an insectoid mage.

Don't judge me. :(

what for? who doesn't have an insectoid waifu?

i'm extremely tempted about having two mages as well as UncleSporky, but maybe i'll save that for my second run.

edit: i'm reading the manual once again, but i'm not too sure what lizardman are best at... rogues maybe?

I remember back in the day, with some 4 character genesis D&D game I made a party with 4 mages. It was tough going in the beginning, but when they all got fireball I just toasted everything. Maybe I'll try that in this game :p.

garath

I'd prefer that. Before this OT was made though I was asked by the OP if I'd put some tips / guide stuff together. I'm open to it... assuming most people could resist unless they were absolutely desperate for help.

Do you think it'd be too tempting?

I would put the guides together. There will be walkthroughs up within weeks. Might as well have some here on GAF. If people want a "pure" experience, they can have it by not clicking :)

nickcv

I would put the guides together. There will be walkthroughs up within weeks. Might as well have some here on GAF. If people want a "pure" experience, they can have it by not clicking :)

yes, but wait for at least two weeks after release...

right now i'm so hyped that if someone would post a complete video playthrough i'd probably watch it.

Zarovitch

Nice review!

I'm happy that puzzle are challenging, that's something we don't find in new RPG.

ced

Damnit I wish this was out, I have to spend the weekend at the inlaws and will need something to do.

Top Bottom