• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock |OT| harvinaisen kova kakku

Philthy

Absolutely loved the Dungeon Master games as a kid. A friend and I used to play these for hours over the phone updating each other about where our parties were at in the dungeon. 4am and we had high school the next day and we're here plugging away at Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back. The puzzles were the best part of those games, they usually killed you outright a few times until you figured the proper way to do it.

Going two warriors on the front line, rogue and wizard in the rear. It's always been my party of choice.

Minsc

Gold Member
New blog entry:

Also, a bit of development related news: we have started working on the level editing capabilities. There’s not much to report yet since the whole thing is still pretty much undergoing some planning and early prototyping but we should be on the right track. Anyways the current plan is to release the editor in stages: initially the editor will be rather simple but more advanced features and scripting capabilities will be added in incrementally in later releases. That way you can get your hands on the editor more quickly and we can get useful feedback from you already in the early stages.

Some people have been asking what will happen with the blog and the weekly updates after the game is done. Overall, the blog has proven to be a pretty good way to communicate with our audience so we’re definitely going to continue this endeavor and we’ll try to stick with the habit of posting every week too! So, we’ll see you guys next week!

Sounds great! I really hope it sells well (though I can't imagine it not, especially when it inevitably gets put in some indie bundle deal) and they can expand on a sequel as they hinted, and hopefully be able to have more races/classes/locations/etc. But for now, I'll just have to settle with playing the game next week lol.

KKRT00

New blog entry:

Sounds great! I really hope it sells well (though I can't imagine it not, especially when it inevitably gets put in some indie bundle deal) and they can expand on a sequel as they hinted, and hopefully be able to have more races/classes/locations/etc. But for now, I'll just have to settle with playing the game next week lol.

I have never been much into just dungeon crawlers, but something in line with Might and Magic series i would buy instantly.
I really wish them success :)

Tobor

Why does it say "to be confirmed" for iOS in the OP? It was confirmed a long time ago and there are plenty of iPad screenshots out there.

Wait since when the fuck was The Quest on PC?

edit: it's twice as much money to buy it on PC than iOS -_-

also it only has the first expansion pack. There are 5.

Sadly, it looks like you are incorrect. Digging into the links a bit, their retail outfit for the non AppStore versions, clickygamer or some such, went under and now the links just go to some other junk shit.

In other words, somehow since last Fall or so they've yet to get on with another damn processor and it is impossible to get any of their stuff outside the AppStore.

Why can't they just get on with BMT Micro, Fastspring, Plimus? To say nothing of how incredibly behind version parity has gotten between the main platforms. :(

Edit: At least it seems that some kind direct email thing is possible as a workaround, but in this day and age that's kinda insane.

Thankfully, the Grimrock devs "get it" in terms of making it not only possible, but easy, for folks to find/buy the game!

Tess3ract

Banned
No the quest and the first expansion are on the PC, but the five expansions released by another developer are both free for 3 of them, and paid for the newest two. The expansions are not pc capable though.

I talked to the dev of The Quest about it. He said it might be going free later this year when he releases his new game.

The Quest dev said he tried to release on GoG and steam but they turned him down.

Hi xxxx,

We only created one expansion for The Quest, Islands of Ice and Fire. All other expansions for sale on iOS were created by Zarista Games (zaristagames.com). (And they have created more than four. :) I think they sell all of them for the PC too.

We tried to sell The Quest on Steam and on GoG, but they rejected it for distribution. I'm sure we could find a way to sell the PC version somewhere, but, to be honest, at this point I don't think we'll make the effort. At the time clicgamer.com closed (where we sold the PC version), the interest were almost nonexistent.

You can still buy The Quest and our expansion from us, just write to Sylon (sylon@redshift.hu), he handles it. You can pay using paypal or direct bank transfer. Yes the price is more than on iOS, but we think it's still worth it.

To be even more honest, I think we'll release the PC version of The Quest for free later this year, when we release our new game. But I think you wouldn't waste your money on The Quest, even if you bought the PC version now. It's a long and fun game. :)

Elendil / Redshift

cicero

New blog entry:

Given their payment connection through Humble/Amazon, I thought they might possibly already be leaning in that direction. Who knows.

No the quest and the first expansion are on the PC, but the five expansions released by another developer are both free for 3 of them, and paid for the newest two. The expansions are not pc capable though.

I talked to the dev of The Quest about it. He said it might be going free later this year when he releases his new game.

The Quest dev said he tried to release on GoG and steam but they turned him down.
Thanks for the heads up. I was starting to look for info about this myself.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really wish I knew how the iPad version of this would pan out before I preordered this version, if it does the retina resolution and has great touch controls it might be a better fit than playing it on my htpc.

Kyuur

Just pre-ordered this. :) Been following it for a time and am so glad it's finally getting released. Any recommendations on modern-ish stuff I should play to tide me by the next few days? Also, is there anywhere you can buy Wizardry 8 digitally?

Drakken

Pre-ordered from the dev's site. Really excited to play this. It'll be my first proper first-person dungeon crawler ever (well, besides the really quick one Notch made a few months back :p).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why didn't they release this *before* easter weekend? I mean the game is done, it's been done for like 2 weeks and has no physical copies to ship.

Argh.

scy

Why didn't they release this *before* easter weekend? I mean the game is done, it's been done for like 2 weeks and has no physical copies to ship.

Argh.

Right?!

Then again, gives me two more days to get my platinum in Tales of Graces ...

OK, anyone that is interested, I done goofed and bought two copies. So if you'd like one at a discount of even less than the pre-order price, my dumbness is your gain. Send me a PM if interested.

Edit: Gone!

Wired

soon ... but not soon enough. I hate waiting for stuff...

My only experience with first person dungeon crawls are Atluses DS games. Really looking forward to this.

Well can't go wrong with those games, a good first introduction to the genre I say! I still haven't played through Etrian Odyssey II & III, or SMT Strange Journey and The Dark Spire... Right now they are sitting here taunting me. But I can't see any point starting on any of them right now, once Grimrock is released I'll jump right on it as fast as I can :D

tsab

Bought a copy from their site. They give a steam key also. Does anyone know if the steam key is redeemable now, or do I have to wait till tomorrow?

At work at the moment. :(

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Does the GOG version come with a Steam Key? I saw on Almost Human's website that preordering from AH directly will get you the game and a Steam Key.

EDIT: Nevermind, i see it answered above. D'oh!

I think I'll go that route so I can activate it on Steam if true. This will be my weekend game fest. I was a huge Dungeon Master fan back when they released it for the SNES (No PC back then). And yes, it was an SNES game! Though when I tried to buy it at Toys R Us, they didn't carry it. It was very hard to find for some reason. Only place I knew that had it was the rental store. Weird.

I can't wait for LoG. Hope it's great!

tsab

In case it's not mentioned yet:
When you are buying from their site, you are actually buying from/paying to Humble Bundle.
Humble will sent you a key to access the DRM-free version and the steam code.

Just pre-ordered this yesterday. Thought it came out today for some reason. Went all over the internet this morning going "Y U NO LOAD" and realized it releases tomorrow. D:

chiba

The wait for this game is killing me. This'll be my 1st ever dungeon crawler, but TotalBiscuit's "Wtf is..." video sold me on it. Game looks really amazing.

Lothars

Bought a copy from their site. They give a steam key also. Does anyone know if the steam key is redeemable now, or do I have to wait till tomorrow?

At work at the moment. :(
It's redeemable right now, it will just make a preorder.

Eusis

Just preordered from the devs. I got my steam key but how/where will I get the DRM free installer?
It's sold through Humble Bundle, just click the link provided in the email when the game's up, much like you did to get the Steam key.

Philthy

Wondering how people making their own levels will really pan out. In my mind, it just seems like it would be too samey. I know the AD&D gold box games put out a construction kit one year and it just sort of ruined the entire mystique of those games instantly.

Torraz

I'd assume once it's released you'll be able to download it from the same page where you got the key.
It's sold through Humble Bundle, just click the link provided in the email when the game's up, much like you did to get the Steam key.

Alright. I guess I was looking for something akin to a box saying "installer link to be made available from here starting xx.xx.xx".

Thanks.

nickcv

sigh, i kinda wished we'd have been able to play it at midnight... but according to steam the game will be released around 11 AM (italian time)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The wait is *killing me*.

Oh my god I need this now. It's been so long since a proper dungeon crawl was released.

Bento

sigh, i kinda wished we'd have been able to play it at midnight... but according to steam the game will be released around 11 AM (italian time)
So soon? Says 18 hours left for me on Steam. That would make it 7 PM (swedish time).

Top Bottom