• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

gforguava

I think we need to continue to clarify that we don't actually know if there's no record of Syd. That's said in the beginning, but afterward, in the pool, the interviewer guy was talking as if Syd was real ("we want the girl, too"), so I don't think we can say that part proves she doesn't exist yet.
Yeah, Syd is almost certainly real, as is Jean Smart's character. The show does need people other than David to function.

Now the black guy with a tommy gun, telekinetic man, and the girl with the amazing taste in shoes? Sure, they could be David. But I would put money on them being real as well, the show hasn't seemed interested in exploring David's condition as a collective of different personalities that take over, he hears voices(and sees Lenny) but only the chubby devil seems to be a strong presence.

kyser73

Yeah, that was awesome. Visually reminds me of Kubrick & weird 60s UK SF. Story really gave me Sapphire & Steel vibes (also weird .U.K. SF, but from 70s).

kirblar

From one of the interviews I saw, it aounds like they're going for an Archer thing where it's a mishmash of 60s stuff with modern anachronisms.

Dysun

Super good premiere. I was skeptical about the concept of the show but my trust in Noah Hawley paid off.

Not knowing what to believe works really well here

Legion seems to have the ability to warp reality so it remains to be seen what the difference is between what's real and what's not, even if all of it is "in his head".

d00d3n

I really liked both seasons of Fargo, but this was not as good. The only likeable character was Aubrey Plaza doing basically a cameo of her patented shtick. The unreliable perspective from the main character is as annoying as it is in Mr Robot. I think I will continue watching, but the show doesn't give a good first impression.

Alpende

I watched it a couple of days ago and I have no idea what is happening but I really dig it. The show looks amazing and the characters are very interesting. FX is on fire lately.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, I don't care about Marvel (well, super heroes in general, really) at all, but that might have been one of the best pilots I've ever seen. The visuals probably carried much of it but the story was interesting enough, too. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Rad-

Legion seems to have the ability to warp reality so it remains to be seen what the difference is between what's real and what's not, even if all of it is "in his head".

Finale twist to be that this all happens in an alternative universe that he created without realizing.

Mariolee

So rewatching the first episode currently, and what is the significance of the dog in the bad guy lair? Then the one dude carves a wooden dog?

Did anything come of that?

Dispatch

I just finished up the first episode, and I'd love for there to be at least one episode from the perspective of the "real" reality.

Also, I'm not sure if I like it or not. It was intriguing, but I'm afraid I might be frustrated with trying to divine what's real and what's not.

Finale twist to be that this all happens in an alternative universe that he created without realizing.

With the weird 60s and 70s stuff mixed in with other weird touches (let's not dwell on the dream sequences too much - could his dreams manifest as reality?) then it wouldn't surprise me.

Alpende

Is it safe to assume that everyone dressed up like the 70's is a figment of David's imagination?

I thought I read in this thread that they wanted to do a Archer style show where it's not entirely clear what time period the show is set in. Maybe it's the present but people just dress like in the 70's.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought I read in this thread that they wanted to do a Archer style show where it's not entirely clear what time period the show is set in. Maybe it's the present but people just dress like in the 70's.

I'm willing to believe that. There are tons of anachronisms that put the show in a nebulous time period. The clothing choices and set design is 60s all over, old style payphone booths on the street (when was the last time you saw a payphone?), but the guy interviewing David had a very advanced tablet.

I'm willing to believe that. There are tons of anachronisms that put the show in a nebulous time period. The clothing choices and set design is 60s all over, old style payphone booths on the street (when was the last time you saw a payphone?), but the guy interviewing David had a very advanced tablet.

There are also flatscreen tvs in the mental hospital, but they're watching a black and white stage show on all of them.

The attention to detail is impressive.

Is it safe to assume that everyone dressed up like the 70's is a figment of David's imagination?

I know it is an astetic decision on the show, but all those 60s and 70s could be very well inside David's head, the way he remember things to be before get hospitalized.

Zakalwe

Banned
Incredible pilot. Beautifully shot, really well acted, the tone and writing and atmosphere was remarkably unique. I love how they're handling mutants here, and the confusions stemming from David's power/condition are really well done (so far).

The escape scene was excellent, I don't know what some of you are smoking!

Do we know how much this will tie in to the comic characters? Like will this reference David's father? Etc...

And yes, that looks a lot like
Amahl Farouk

Arkeband

Banned
That would be the best twist.

Would it be the best twist, though?

"Everyone is fake", "He is everyone and can do everything", "The universe is fake", these are rug-pulling narratives that are so exhausting to endure - what's the point? It's like having an invincible hero in a world that is never defined and subject to complete erasure at any given moment hurts any semblance of plot.

It's what drags down Mr. Robot, because pulling the same trick over and over again loses its punch, and because the viewer has no idea what to be paying attention to.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Huge twist: David is not a handsome young adult on a crazy adventure, he's actually a pudgy yellow eyed troll. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I can't believe people are put off by the CGI used during the escape. What tv shows are you guys watching? As someone who spent years watching shows like Heroes have their "epic" super power showdowns take place off-screen behind closed doors, or telekinesis get used just to hold people still/against a wall, I'm more than happy with that escape scene.

Would it be the best twist, though?

"Everyone is fake", "He is everyone and can do everything", "The universe is fake", these are rug-pulling narratives that are so exhausting to endure - what's the point? It's like having an invincible hero in a world that is never defined and subject to complete erasure at any given moment hurts any semblance of plot.

It's what drags down Mr. Robot, because pulling the same trick over and over again loses its punch, and because the viewer has no idea what to be paying attention to.

I completely agree. While I think it's entirely possible a large portion of the characters are not real, and that we're not seeing things as they're actually happening but rather seeing them from David's warped perception of reality, building it up as a season-long 'twist' or reveal and trying to pull the rug from under the viewers' feet (likely many weeks after it's already been noted by the viewers) rather than simply have it be a core and continuously acknowledged part of the narrative will, I agree, very much harm the show and drag it down.

In the pilot, they were quite open about the reality we were witnessing being highly shaped by David's own perception on reality (as we viewer the world primarily through his eyes) which was supported in a very substantial way by the cinematography and episode structure. They were up-front about events not being witnessed as they occurred (the man from the car, Syd in the memory and the repeated dialogue, the jumping when David got the meal in the interrogation, and David getting the coffee as Syd and then as himself), and so long as they continue to go down this route, that's fine. But playing it straight for the sake of a reveal that all is not as it seems is just going to kill investment in the plot and drag down the show by turning it into a guessing game of 'what is/isn't real' build around shallow twists instead of the core drama.

That isn't to say they can't ultimately reveal our perspective has been skewed (which is strongly suggested even already when, during the escape sequence when David looks up at Syd, Ptonomy, and the person who's name I can't remember while in the pool and sees a very similar scene overlaid of individuals in the mental hospital helping him up, and the mental hospital already being heavily associated with his imagination through the dream of him dancing with other's whose personas could very well have become absorbed into his mind), but how its framed, how much it's built up to, and when it's revealed all will play a really fundamental role in how much it'll undercut the show.

KodaRuss

Felt the first episode was a little too long but other than that it was good. Not sure what to believe honestly but I am interested. Noah Hawley is great.

I can't believe people are put off by the CGI used during the escape. What tv shows are you guys watching? As someone who spent years watching shows like Heroes have their "epic" super power showdowns take place off-screen behind closed doors, or telekinesis get used just to hold people still/against a wall, I'm more than happy with that escape scene.

People are just used to movie CGI more.

I watched it again with my dad and by the time it got to the escape I thought "fuck it, the episodes been great so far they can have this crazy thing"

SamVimes

I'm seeing a lot of comparisons with Mr Robot and I just don't see it. Yes, there's an unreliable narrator but Mr Robot is slow in a way that it makes it breath and you can think about what's happening and analyze it, this is really quick paced with flashes and something happening every two seconds and it felt very disjointed to me.

With that said, I have a really bad cold so maybe I'm just not able to follow as well as I should.

really late edit but this thread is slow so who cares: I chuckled when they said the blonde girl's full name was Sydney Barrett.

- YahooTV: Here's How Legion's Production Designer Built That Mind-Bending Set
Usually, Wylie explains, sets are just backgrounds to inform the audience of time and place, and to give context. But in this show, the set does the opposite. While it’s nearly impossible to tell where David Haller is at any given time, because of his powers (which he perceives as an illness), each place his mind drifts to still feels distinct and almost subconsciously recognizable.

“In order to keep the audience guessing we needed to build environments that don’t necessarily click with the viewer as being relatable. So, for instance, David’s apartment looks like it's in Paris or Budapest. The hospital is somewhere between cheerful and fake. It's too nice to be a mental hospital but it's also uncomfortably cold. The usual rules of production design asks us to not draw attention to sets.”

To build a set for a show with such a unique tone, Wylie said he had to add to all those definitions.

“It's dark to add to the drama. It's weird to add to the fantasy and sometimes silly to add to the humor,” Wylie explains. “The overall design idea here was to make sure the audience—in exactly the same way the main character does—has no idea what is real or not real.”
More via the link.

evanmisha

Just finished watching the pilot. If you had paused it right before the escape, I would've said it was the most exciting piece of television I've ever seen. An absolute masterpiece.

Then the escape happened. Meh. Choreography was stilted and weak, the whole set piece was off for me, and the CG was obviously budget constrained.

Still BEYOND in for this, I mean literally WOW, but I saw the show going in a very different direction from the first hour, and I don't know how to feel about that.

Dabanton

What a refreshingly weird show. Watched it with the missus who was really into it. I explained a bit of the background of the character which surprised her as it didn't feel like a superhero show.

I just hope this doesn't fall into a problem of the week kind of show.

Also the production design was absolutely fabulous. Not sure of the budget of the first episode but it looked expensive even if it wasn't

10 minute KPCC audio interview with Hawley:

- How embracing the uncanny led to the unique look and feel of 'Legion'
Question: The X-Men, as a group of stories, are distinguished by this idea that the things that make people look to be outsiders, or mutants, are actually gifts, or things that can be incredibly powerful. David's a bit different, because he suffers from mental illness, and mental illness is something he struggles with because of how it affects his reality. As David's medical condition becomes part of the story, how do you use it in what you think is a respectful way, but also in a way that illuminates what its possibilities might be for David?

Hawley: We had a scene in the pilot that didn't make it into the final cut. It was this moment where he's talking to his psychiatrist, and behind the psychiatrist we see this man levitate up into view outside the window. And it turns out that he's a window-washer, but there's a moment for David where you understand that this is his reality.

He sees things that sometimes aren't there, and then sometimes he sees things that really are there but are just odd. If he were to acknowledge that there was a guy floating outside the window when he wasn't there, he would seem crazy. But if he were to act strangely about looking away from a guy washing the window, he also seems a little nuts.

I think the dynamic of the mental illness — obviously he's told for most of his life that he has a mental illness. And then he's rescued from this place and he's told that he doesn't, that actually these are his powers, that he's telepathic, he's telekinetic, et cetera.

And then there's a third possibility — maybe it's both, and maybe having this power and having been treated as mentally ill all these years has certainly created a personality that he has. The power and the character dynamic are the same in a way that's really exciting as a writer to explore.
Much more via the link.

- IGN: Dan Stevens Interview
IGN: Why is this take on X-Men so interesting to you?

Stevens: The thing is there's a level in which it's able to question certain things. The level in which it operates is really kind of epic. It takes on quite cosmic questions. And I don't know, I guess growing up I was a big fan of stuff like Darren Aronofsky and the kind of questions that he asks in his work, and Kubrick. You're thinking on a certain level. And I know that Noah is a big fan of Kubrick and really enjoys that sort of level of thinking. Legion is a character that fits with that kind of conversation. You can also be very playful with it and very mischievous. There's a certain impish quality to the show that really appeals to me. If you're going to talk about things that are that big and that heavy, you don't need to be serious about it. You can present it seriously, but it doesn't have to be serious all the time. I think that fits with David the character. It's part of his characteristic. That to me is what the spirit of comic books is about. That's why it appeals to me.

IGN: When we think of a comic book adaptation or comic book movie or TV show, we think that it has to be done with CGI, which is why I was so surprised and impressed that you guys did so much practical. Even the scene in the first episode where David causes the room to sort of explode when everything is frozen in place.

Stevens: That was an insane day. They literally blew up the kitchen. They just filled every drawer and cupboards with stuff. Like spaghetti and biscuits and playing cards and just packed these cupboards. Yes, and then blew it all up. And shot it at something 1,000 frames a second or something silly. And yeah, just watching that back, it's amazing. It's an amazing shot.
More via the link.

Just watched the first episode, thankfully FX played it right before this second one. Wow. That's all. Completely captivated.

Also, episode two let's goooooo!

There's a lot to chew on this week. I still have a lot of questions about what's real and what's in David's head, and the show seems like it's going to be dragging that out for most of the season.

Top Bottom