• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
If they don't give out $10 in eShop credit at least for those that paid $59.99, it'll be pretty sad.

C'mon Nintendo, live up to your rep for good customer service and put out a press release apologizing right now! Head this story off before it can grow any more. Give everyone who bought the game at the inflated price eShop credit and all will be forgiven! Just do it quickly!

Ridley327

I'd go so far as to say this is the opposite of what normally happens (at least out here). Nintendo games almost always have released on Sundays. That it always the date they use in their marketing and is the date when you can find the game in stores. Only recently have they started to do these limited Monday releases.

You may be thinking of what a lot of other game companies used to do, which was list the ship date as the release date. I would say it's been a good five or six years since this was common practice, though.
Some publishers still do it, actually; Atlus, NISA, and pretty much every small publisher like them do it, along with Koei-Tecmo, Take Two (for their non-major titles, of course), and Majesco.

Price is $49.99 now? So Nintendo really did mess up the pricing before? How? It's not like they have so many games being released that this one got lost in the shuffle...

I'd go so far as to say this is the opposite of what normally happens (at least out here). Nintendo games almost always have released on Sundays. That it always the date they use in their marketing and is the date when you can find the game in stores. Only recently have they started to do these limited Monday releases.

You may be thinking of what a lot of other game companies used to do, which was list the ship date as the release date. I would say it's been a good five or six years since this was common practice, though.

They did it more during the GameCube and early Wii era. But I specifically remember Mario Galaxy having a Monday release date but my pre-order not coming in until Wednesday.

Price is $49.99 now? So Nintendo really did mess up the pricing before? How? It's not like they have so many games being released that this one got lost in the shuffle...

It was a simple oversight, no need to get up in arms, unless of course they don't refund the difference. I didn't even know the game was $50 until I ordered it a few days ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought slow downloads were just launch niggles. If its standard then I'm not buying a HDD, I'll just stick to games that fit on my 32GB card and get the rest physically.

I just hope pikmin 3 isn't too big, I have credit waiting for that on the eshop

d1rtn4p

Welp, just got the notice from Newegg that my preorder was voided due to out of stock. Guess I'll just take my chances with Amazon; hopefully it won't be too long till they get it in.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Retail versions won't show up until Wednesday.

It seems like we go through this with every two major Nintendo releases.

fixed

Do hope I'll be able to get this in the Target sale Tuesday or Wednesday though. Wish Nintendo was even the tiniest bit forthcoming when confronted with things like this. Why has this happened with their last two releases, and is it a trend that will continue?

It was a simple oversight, no need to get up in arms, unless of course they don't refund the difference. I didn't even know the game was $50 until I ordered it a few days ago.
I'm not angry. I'm sure they'll give refunds or something. I'm just surprised since I would have thought they would have had the time to double and triple check this release.

Effect

Welp, just got the notice from Newegg that my preorder was voided due to out of stock. Guess I'll just take my chances with Amazon; hopefully it won't be too long till they get it in.

Yikes. Have my preorder with them as well but nothing yet from them. I did put my order in months ago though.

burgerdog

I have a question for you guys that own other consoles. does downloading a game of similar size takes as long on PS360?

Xbox marketplace isn't anywhere near as low as the eshop, even psn is faster than it. Steam is the best when it comes to downloads, it takes me 30 mins to download a 10gig game. What's funny is that it took me 1 hour to download a 500mb game on Wii U last week, so messed up.

I was losing my patience after calling every retailer in a 50 mile radius and decided to check the eShop again.

The game is now listed at $49.99. Time to pull the trigger and download.

Well, since the price changed I shot off an email to Nintendo Customer Support. I told them that I was pretty mad not only at the price mistake but also the speed of the download (which has been abysmal) and that if I wasn't able to get the $10 back then I wouldn't be shopping through eShop any more.

At 70% and still 5 hours to go. :/

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Xbox marketplace isn't anywhere near as low as the eshop, even psn is faster than it. Steam is the best when it comes to downloads, it takes me 30 mins to download a 10gig game. What's funny is that it took me 1 hour to download a 500mb game on Wii U last week, so messed up.
It's likely a server issue. I personally think they need to find a better solution on that from than the actual gimpy pseudo "os". Ironically downloading a full game on the 3ds doesn't take long at all. In comparison to a 500mb game on the Wii u

4Scarr

Banned
If they wait till tomorrow to give $10 back maybe we could get the $5 digital delux coupon and $10. Come out $5 ahead. Would use that for bit,trip runner 2

So does it need more than 19 to download? An installer or whatever? I'm not sure whether to be surprised at the fact that I've run out of space already or not.

So this released today and not one person on here owns it yet? That's weird.

Nintendo pulled a switcheroo with the release date. I guess today is actually a "ship" date. So, most stores don't have it yet. People who bought the downloadable version are reporting that it is taking FOREVER to download, so they haven't played it yet either.

Mrbob

Oh the fun with EShop. Nintendo can take my money by adding funds to to the wallet but when I want to buy the game the eshop won't let me.

Edit: And the second time is the charm.

I'm not angry. I'm sure they'll give refunds or something. I'm just surprised since I would have thought they would have had the time to double and triple check this release.

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be accusatory, it was just a general statement. ^_^

Anyways, has anyone actually received/downloaded their game and have some early impressions?

You know, it is also worth mentioning that in the eShop Nintendo was advertising for weeks "Lego City Undercover available at midnight!" so it is extra shitty if they don't offer refunds for those of us who bought at midnight.

Mrbob

7 hours left to download? Eshop still sucks at download times. :(

I can get a 20GB game off of Steam in an hour and a half.

Guess I'll be able to play later tonight. If the install doesn't take forever too.

4Scarr

Banned
Just checked digital promo site my $5 code is there for buying lego city. I would suspect Nintendo will probably email a code for the $10 could take a few days I would assume

Top Bottom