• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Has anyone successfully finished downloading? If so, how are the load times?

I'm using retail. The start up load times are anywhere from 45 - 60 seconds, maybe longer. The mission and changing locals loading times are in between 25-30 seconds.

At least I believe so.
sorry for the techie ig'nant question but could the April firmware, or any update, lessen loading issues?

I do not think so, TT would have to put out a patch for Lego City.

Is there significant screen tearing? It is often a big problem with TT games, so much so that some of there games had a v-sync option added in the options (which I don't see here).

Is there significant screen tearing? It is often a big problem with TT games, so much so that some of there games had a v-sync option added in the options (which I don't see here).

All I heard is it has "minor screen tearing".

One source mentioned that, haven't seen it made light of in the other sources I have read.

Is there a precedent to expect differing load times between a digital download and a disc version of the same game?

Yes? Games usually load faster when running from hard disk compared to being read from an optical disc.

The most recent Wii U example talked about is Monster Hunter 3.

So for people that enjoyed lego batman 2, this is better? My girlfriend loved LB2, so the plan is to buy her this. Obivously this question does not apply to someone who has always hated the lego games and unsurprisingly hates this too.

B-Dex

Impressions after 2 or so hours:

Load times suck but at least you get a progress bar on the gamepad haha.
The first assignment(mission) is a fun rooftop chase. Loving the humour. The video calls on the gamepad are great and so is using it to scan for criminals/objects. Call Points are awesome and let you customize vehicles (mostly just brick colours). The main computer at the police station tracks your playtime and percentage complete. Each district of town shows gold bricks, super builds etc... basically all the collectible totals on the gamepad. Didn't notice any tearing but I did notice some framedrops.

Overall if you like LEGO games then you'll definitely like this.

Yes? Games usually load faster when running from hard disk compared to being read from an optical disc.

The most recent Wii U example talked about is Monster Hunter 3.

I was unaware about the specifics of the wii u re: it. In theory of course it should be, but I have no clue with this.

When I left for work this morning, our percentages and time remaining were pretty much the same. I'm using your posts to guesstimate when my download finishes!

heh heh the only reason I am still up is because I don't want to have to install when I wake up so I want to do it before I crash :)

86% 2h35

FLAguy954

Impressions after 2 or so hours:

Load times suck but at least you get a progress bar on the gamepad haha.
The first assignment(mission) is a fun rooftop chase. Loving the humour. The video calls on the gamepad are great and so is using it to scan for criminals/objects. Call Points are awesome and let you customize vehicles (mostly just brick colours). The main computer at the police station tracks your playtime and percentage complete. Each district of town shows gold bricks, super builds etc... basically all the collectible totals on the gamepad. Didn't notice any tearing but I did notice some framedrops.

Overall if you like LEGO games then you'll definitely like this.

How are the graphics? Anything stand out to you that wouldn't be done as well on the PS360 aka anything remotely 'next gen' about this game? (this question also applies to anyone else who currently has the game)

AdamMPSP

Did something go weird with this game going to retail? No Target is listing it has in stock for me, Gamestop website says it doesn't come out until wednesday, and Amazon has a weird message about manufacturer delays.

heh heh the only reason I am still up is because I don't want to have to install when I wake up so I want to do it before I crash :)

86% 2h35

Oh God..the install.

People can't seem to find the game at retail. And I saw one dude say he was 15 hours into his download and still going strong.
As I suspected.

Those of us who started the download as soon as it went up and are still downloading just entered the 16th hour.

Did something go weird with this game going to retail? No Target is listing it has in stock for me, Gamestop website says it doesn't come out until wednesday, and Amazon has a weird message about manufacturer delays.
Yes, this is what most of this thread has been about, other than complaining about download times and being charged $10 more by mistake.

B-Dex

How are the graphics? Anything stand out to you that wouldn't be done as well on the PS360 aka anything remotely 'next gen' about this game? (this question also applies to anyone else who currently has the game)

Not really. The textures on some of the city elements do look nicer than what I'm used to in "current gen" games I guess. Some of the vistas are really nice as well. CLimb to a high spot and you can see the city/mountains/ocean. My TV says it is getting a 1080p signal but I think the Wii U is just scaling it. When you're in the city itself there aren't any load times that I noticed so far. Just when starting story missions and going into buildings. Calling for a vehicle at the call points is pretty instantaneous as well. Pick the car, then colour, then bam, instantly dropped off by a chopper.

Gamepad also has navigation functionality. Tap and hold an icon on the map and the gps will show you where to go on the pad and with glowing studs on the TV.

Miiverse has a few cool shots of people high up on towers with city/bridge views.

kubus

For those who have an external hdd, can you recommend me one? Will be downloading LCU but seeing as its 22GB, there's no way it's gonna fit on the internal storage :(. Already downloaded a crapton of games.

When I google, it only gives me forum topics on external hds to use with the Wii, for not so legal purposes :[

fernoca

Nothing weird, just the usual Nintendo release on Monday...turning out to be shipping and actual release been through the week. Has happened before, was expected. As long as I get my Chase figurine I'll be happy. :p

Amazon shipped both Monster Hunter games today so I'll continue playing Darksiders II in the meantime.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not really. The textures on some of the city elements do look nicer than what I'm used to in "current gen" games I guess. Some of the vistas are really nice as well. CLimb to a high spot and you can see the city/mountains/ocean. My TV says it is getting a 1080p signal but I think the Wii U is just scaling it. When you're in the city itself there aren't any load times that I noticed so far. Just when starting story missions and going into buildings. Calling for a vehicle at the call points is pretty instantaneous as well. Pick the car, then colour, then bam, instantly dropped off by a chopper.

Gamepad also has navigation functionality. Tap and hold an icon on the map and the gps will show you where to go on the pad and with glowing studs on the TV.

Miiverse has a few cool shots of people high up on towers with city/bridge views.

I'd read that the (in-game) gamepad can function as a camera for uploading pics to Miiverse - any sign of that yet?

B-Dex

I'd read that the (in-game) gamepad can function as a camera for uploading pics to Miiverse - any sign of that yet?

Well if so I haven't gotten a camera in-game yet. I just posted 2 shots to miiverse using the home button > miiverse way so far.

Yes there are a plethora of people posting how to get your 10 dollars refunded etc... also lots of whiners about delays and not being able to play.

I see.

For those who have an external hdd, can you recommend me one? Will be downloading LCU but seeing as its 22GB, there's no way it's gonna fit on the internal storage :(. Already downloaded a crapton of games.

When I google, it only gives me forum topics on external hds to use with the Wii, for not so legal purposes :[
I got this and a Y-cable.

-----------

Just out of curiosity..

jGulpQ07tzDOJ.png

chifanpoe

I used a 500GB 3.5 WD HDD I had laying around and put it in a $15 powered USB 2.0 housing. Has worked fine for me.

deviljho

nintendo has published its own list. also, there is a thread in gaf specifically for wii u external storage. powered are probably the most reliable. Y-cables recommended otherwise. also, you can use a fast usb stick if it ever came to it. i'll edit in a second with the gaf thread link

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500517

damn double posts!!!!

bryehn

Put a couple hours in and like what I've played so far. I'll never be a fan of the scanning mechanic, but it's not too bad. Performs really well, only a few spots I noticed some marginal slowdown so far. Great presentation, the writing is pretty funny. Level design hasn't been too boring so far, I like the addition of springboards.

One question: How/when do I get the key card to buy red bricks? I'd like to use the 3 I've found and start easy 100%-ing levels on my first time through ASAP.

But, man those load times are pretty brutal.

GulAtiCa

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEBMCI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I bought that 2TB HDD for $100 and worked very nicely since December.

Top Bottom