• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

massoluk

Banned
I believed I just cleared the game. The last level is unexpectedly epic.

Also, I reached the end of the game and I'm still perplexed by that big block with yellow handle thingy. You know, the one that said you have to progress some more before you can interact with it, but none of the costumes allow interaction with it.

Am I missing something. I'm afraid I'm absolutely dumb or something.

ElNino

So the game has been out for a few weeks and I'm curious what you folks think of the game? Pros and cons? Do the load times get any better, or does it not really matter?

I'm on the fence...
If you already have a Wii U and have any interest in open world games and/or Lego games... or if you have kids that like it, then I would say a resounding yes.

The load times are long, and from what I've seen they don't get "better", but it is easy to just run around and play for quite a while without seeing them. My son will go to the police station to choose/buy a new costume which means loading screens, but then he will will play for an hour without getting another one.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you

Also, I reached the end of the game and I'm still perplexed by that big block with yellow handle thingy. You know, the one that said you have to progress some more before you can interact with it, but none of the costumes allow interaction with it.

You need Rex Fury to open those.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So the game has been out for a few weeks and I'm curious what you folks think of the game? Pros and cons? Do the load times get any better, or does it not really matter?

I'm on the fence...

In my opinion is a really good and fun game.
A lot of things to do, good atmoshpere, big and full city, a lot of cameos and collectibles, very funny dialoges, good GamePad features, good job tech-wise and so on.

Did you get the
Rex Fury
disguise during the final mission? If you did, swap your Robber disguise for this one and you can now open those handles.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Got the game. It is so very awesome and funny. I never really liked the lego games for more than about an hour but this one I want to find EVERYTHING!

massoluk

Banned
Did you get the
Rex Fury
disguise during the final mission? If you did, swap your Robber disguise for this one and you can now open those handles.

I did, but damn. Talk about luck. I had 999k something when the game finished so I couldn't unlocked it immediately :p
I remember thinking "REALLY? REALLY?"

thomaser

Dammit, I'm veeery near the end, but have to go on a week-long business trip tomorrow morning. I'll probably spend the whole week thinking about Lego City :) Maybe I should just bring the WiiU and play in the hotels.

Do you still get the crowbar and paint gun?
Yep, you have all the same Robber abilities with the addition of being able to open those crates. Unlocks quite a bit when you back into story levels and it is also how you get to Lady Liberty Island.

I did, but damn. Talk about luck. I had 999k something when the game finished so I couldn't unlocked it immediately :p
I remember thinking "REALLY? REALLY?"
It's the only costume/vehicle that really costs a lot of money. Get those Red Bricks that multiply your studs (plus they stack! I get x384 studs and have over 600,000,000) and you will have more money than you know what to do with, even after you buy those
Gold Bricks
that you can access after you beat the story.

I am missing one costume in Bluebell National Park and I think it has something to do with bird houses but can't figure it out. Anyone know what to do?

thomaser

I caught
an alien
in the Bright Lights area, but got no notification of it. And the menu screen still says that I've found 0/1. Anyone else experienced this? I don't see any way to make it appear so I can catch it again... hope this doesn't mean that I can't get 100%. I switched off the game, but I'm pretty sure I did something before that autosaved it.

Effect

The music at the end of the level was great. Didn't expect it to end in the way it did but it was extremely satisfying. I'll be taking a break as well from the game. Ended it at 31% or 32% done at around 25 hours. Did mess around for about a half hour as well after finishing the story. I do wish you could still contact other characters. Maybe you can or can't. We'll see. I enjoyed those conversations.

zigg

Guys, if the 3DS version is even half as good, let me know!
I'd love to know this too. I mean, I assume it's gonna be LCU Lite, but it still looks like they're trying to accomplish a lot, in the trailer and the one hands-on I can find.

I probably wouldn't even think twice about it, but let's face it—LEGO games are usually a crapshoot quality-wise. LCU is pretty much a miracle. If Chase Begins is anywhere near as good, I need to get me a lottery ticket.

shauntu

Initially was down on the game due to the huge initial double dose of loading, but love this game now, and want the team's next game to be LEGO Knights in the same style as LEGO City Undercover. Imagine a new land to explore set in LEGO Knights style with fantasy motifs of all kinds explored and parodied and the world designed from all those elements together just like LEGO City is designed out of various real city architectures...

Would be awesome!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The game is great! It's certainly geared towards kids, it's very simple to play, but the artstyle, writing, humor, and VO make it an endearing experience.

Though, let's be honest: there's no excuse for the load times. Don't let anyone try to downplay it, they are very bad. Which is super unfortunate. Other than that, no other technical issues I've encountered. It's just difficult to play the game in bite size increments with all this loading and lack of save anywhere.

Loving finding the nintendo related easter eggs in this game. So far I've found:
Question mark blocks that spit studs when you jump at them
Bullet bill and bob-omb that you lead to cages to unlock characters
Caught a cheep-cheep with a fishing rod
Spotted a wiggler atop a railway bridge
Flag pole to slide down and flag goes up, Mario style
Several mario stars complete with rainbow mario music
Dry bones in the museum

Anyone find any others?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Loving finding the nintendo related easter eggs in this game. So far I've found:
Dry bones in the museum

Anyone find any others?
After you beat the game, you can find a Mario pipe that sends you over to Liberty Island. There, you can find a red brick that gives your characters a Mario hat.

Dry bones in the museum

Anyone find any others?
There's also
A piranha plant you can grow using the farmer costume behind the dojo (complete with fireballs so you can burn a spider-web to get a character).
Use the Rex Fury costume in the Downtown area (near the waterfront, in the center of that open-round building thing) to open a crate that lets you build a Warp Pipe, which takes you to the Lady Liberty Island area.
In the Aquarium area underneath Crescent Park (follow the highway from Bright Lights Plaza under the park), you can press a button to observe the aquarium and see a fully little scene involving a shark and Cheep-Cheeps.

thomaser

Initially was down on the game due to the huge initial double dose of loading, but love this game now, and want the team's next game to be LEGO Knights in the same style as LEGO City Undercover. Imagine a new land to explore set in LEGO Knights style with fantasy motifs of all kinds explored and parodied and the world designed from all those elements together just like LEGO City is designed out of various real city architectures...

Yes! Would be like Monty Python and the Holy Grail: The Game.

BooJoh

I was editing in the police lineup thing for the different chase costumes and I changed the miner hat and now it's gone. I can't figure out how to get it back, and I don't see any kind of 'make it default to the original costume' button. Like the miner hat is just straight up gone.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem. I have two characters available with the Miner Hat, but when I messed with the hat in the customizer it disappeared and now I can't put a Miner Hat on any custom character.

Would be awesome!

I don't see how they haven't done a time travel Lego game yet. Have you visit all different eras instead of just medieval times. Just imagine being able to jump times at your own will having to go back and forth to unlock secrets using skills you gain in other time periods. Just off the top of my head, they could do some cool stuff with a prehistoric time with dinosaurs, an ancient Japan time, Ancient Egypt, Pirates, Western, Future. The list can go on considering all the Lego sets they can base the worlds off of.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nintendo Europe just tweeted a new code, so here's an updated list
They tweeted another one today.

Pop Star: cncnrh
Civilian Werewolf: gystqp
Race car driver: mhhrhm
Gorilla suit guy: xkgzvj
Natalia Kowalski: hvgtpg
Samurai Warriori: rjyzhc
Baseball Player: ycmwkp
Soccer Player: syfmwj
Vehicle: Relocator: vzhhdm
Vehicle: Drakonas: dwjvct
Bonus Missions: 3D74QF9
Justice and red sport car: 3GCC7XR
Unlocks High Speed Chase Missions/Vehicles: N7NN4F9

pubba

Gnnn... Urge to buy a WiiU... Rising..

Ok - the thing that will push me over the edge: does it have that tinkly, crisp sound effect when you collect Lego rivets? That's like digital crack to my ears. Love it!

Gnnn... Urge to buy a WiiU... Rising..

Ok - the thing that will push me over the edge: does it have that tinkly, crisp sound effect when you collect Lego rivets? That's like digital crack to my ears. Love it!
You bet your about-to-buy-a-Wii-U-ass it has that sound effect.

hiro4

So I finally got the game too and as expected it is a real blast. And since I already expected the long loading time I don't really mind them. Also the progress bar on the wii u pad at least gives you a time indication.

What I do mind is the horrible screen tearing while riding through the city or in the police station. I can handle frame drops and some tearing but this looks like the renderer has some epileptic attack!

It even has some ghosting in the police station which isn't that big of a location. Does anyone else have this too?

hatchx

Banned
So I finally got the game too and as expected it is a real blast. And since I already expected the long loading time I don't really mind them. Also the progress bar on the wii u pad at least gives you a time indication.

What I do mind is the horrible screen tearing while riding through the city or in the police station. I can handle frame drops and some tearing but this looks like the renderer has some epileptic attack!

It even has some ghosting in the police station which isn't that big of a location. Does anyone else have this too?

Didn't notice the screen tearing or ghosting, but I am playing on a smaller TV. Even the pop-up and frame hiccups don't seem out-of-the-ordinary for the open world genre. The load times aren't even bad for this style of game, it's moreso the way they structured the game to load cutscenes and then reload the map.

hiro4

Didn't notice the screen tearing or ghosting, but I am playing on a smaller TV. Even the pop-up and frame hiccups don't seem out-of-the-ordinary for the open world genre. The load times aren't even bad for this style of game, it's moreso the way they structured the game to load cutscenes and then reload the map.

Weird. Im playing on a smaller SDTV also but as soon as I jumped in the car and drove into the city it became all jittery. Like I said some epileptic attack. It is weird since other area in the game don't have the issue. I'll look into it some more today.

I haven't seen any screen tearing at all(13h10 on the game), and I hate screen-tearing in game(It's a deal breaker for me to buy a game)...

Can't say I've noticed this. And I hate screen tearing.

Cosmozone

Close to finishing the story now, have to take a little rest. I would've taken it earlier, but the story didn't let me go. :) Too bad I got a little spoiled about the finale, but only a little and I'm extremely looking forward to it. This game deserves more attention. So beautiful.

hiro4

I haven't seen any screen tearing at all(13h10 on the game), and I hate screen-tearing in game(It's a deal breaker for me to buy a game)...

Can't say I've noticed this. And I hate screen tearing.

Yeah, definetely no screen tearing and also no ghosting for me.

No tearing here either, and trust me, I'd notice it.

Yeah. I can't imagine you guys haven't noticed this amount of stuttering.
What could the cause be? The fact that Im not using an hdmi cable? A setting on my tv? Or is my WiiU drive already broken?

Weird. Im playing on a smaller SDTV also but as soon as I jumped in the car and drove into the city it became all jittery. Like I said some epileptic attack. It is weird since other area in the game don't have the issue. I'll look into it some more today.

I just came into the thread to see if anyone else had the same problem, I'm now positive that the bolded is the cause :p

I'm loving the game, I should be about halfway through with the story (and less than 7% complete...). Only downsides so far are loading times, driving (I'm getting used to it though) and the frame crazyness described above.

Top Bottom