• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Shadders

How do you know this game is "sloppily made"?

I'm basing it on my experience with every game TT has made in the last decade.

EDIT: Lego Rock Band would the only exception. And I haven't played the F1 game they did on PSP, so maybe that's a good game too.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
According to Nintendo's PR, this requires an external harddrive to download. :/

What?
LEGO® City Undercover - LEGO City® comes to life! The popular LEGO City vehicles and play sets come to life for the first time in the vast, open world of the LEGO City Undercover game. As police officer Chase McCain you are armed with clever disguises, special abilities, and the ultimate crime-fighting tool—the Wii U GamePad controller. With its indispensable map, communicator, and high-tech scanning device, the GamePad is just what you need to crack the case. Run, drive and even fly through the city to put a stop to the fiendish Rex Fury and end his crime wave once and for all. LEGO City Undercover will be available March 18 at retail stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. (You must have an external hard drive to download this software. Sold separately. Visit support.nintendo.com for information about storage options.)
Weird. Retail it is I guess.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've heard that it's 22Gb, so you should be able to download it on the Premium/Deluxe version of the Wii U.
I've also heard that some review code were sent out to the press, so..

Whoa, people don't have a HDD for the Wii U? I figure that was a fairly standard piece of hardware for the system.

The first real game to be released since launch and already that 32gigs wasn't enough. I wonder if they'll put more space in future models. For me, don't mind just using a big external.
I have a Basic with a terabyte hdd btw

JoeM86

The first real game to be released since launch and already that 32gigs wasn't enough. I wonder if they'll put more space in future models. For me, don't mind just using a big external.
I have a Basic with a terabyte hdd btw

They won't. That's the entire reason they went with flash rather than hard drive, so that they don't have to continually re-release new models every year due to increased hard drive costs

I've heard that it's 22Gb, so you should be able to download it on the Premium/Deluxe version of the Wii U.
I've also heard that some review code were sent out to the press, so..

Oh for goodness sake :/

Probably won't be playing this until Wednesday if I'm lucky.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh for goodness sake :/

Probably won't be playing this until Wednesday if I'm lucky.

Haha! I'll go retail as usual btw.

Why do I have the feeling that retail copies are going to be a pain in the ass to find this coming Monday?

Well, at my GameStop there wasn't neither the preorder empty pack :\

The Edge review single-handedly brought the GameRankings average down by 7 percent. Ouch.

http://www.gamerankings.com/wii-u/632938-lego-city-undercover/index.html

Well, honestly...doesn't matter. Looking at screens and videos, reading first impressions, reading all the reviews and so on, I think that's what the game can offer.

CoolS

Dunno if it was posted, but two more nice reviews from Cubed³ and GameSpot:

As one of the highlights in the Nintendo Wii U software library to date, LEGO City Undercover blends together a large, compelling open world to explore with fun, suitably cheesy action sequences that can appeal to both young and old. Built ground-up for the system, Undercover excels both visually and in the sound department, yet is hindered by longer loading times and a handful of gaming grumbles. Despite this, LEGO City Undercover should certainly be on anyone's Wii U radar as one to explore. Doughnuts and police badges at the ready folks; Chase McCain is in town!

Chase through every action-movie circumstance imaginable, and have probably seen the "twists" coming a mile away. And that's perfectly OK. The game knows you know where it's going, and it has fun at its own expense. You can imagine the winks and nods of the voice actors as they deliver their lines; the comic relief is broad, Chase's line readings are beautifully, achingly sincere, and an Arnold Schwarzenegger soundalike sounds more like Arnie than Arnie ever did. There are bigger, more complex, more beautiful open-world games on the market. But none of them are this good at making you feel so young at heart.

The Good

Witty writing and characters keep you giggling throughout
The lure of Lego studs and collectables is hard to resist
Endlessly varied and entertaining missions and puzzles
Different disguises make for lots of diversity
Great use of the GamePad.

The Bad

Inconsistent jumping
Unsatisfying combat
Exceptionally long load times.

Also a 95 from Canadian Online Gamers
LEGO City Undercover was definitely worth the wait even with the extensive load times that are the only disappointing feature of this game. Everything from the tried and true LEGO gameplay sprinkled with some great new additions, a comedic script, and an entertaining storyline provides a gaming experience suitable for all ages which, in my eyes, makes LEGO City Undercover a must buy for fans of the LEGO franchise and Wii U owners alike.

Davey Cakes

Edge was an outlier, it seems.

This is looking like a 7s, 8s, and 9s kind of game. Isn't that par for the course with Lego games? And, not in a bad way.

Whoa, people don't have a HDD for the Wii U? I figure that was a fairly standard piece of hardware for the system.

Maybe it is time. What are the current recommendations for a USB drive that works well with the WiiU? At launch, I remember a lot of dicsussion regarding if it had an external power cord or not. If you have time, shoot me some recommendations known to work, gaf.

I'll be downloading all week sense I also need NFS and maybe MonHun the same week lol

my HDD will be very happy

Can you download multiple things at once? I thought you could but last time, one download had to finish before the other began.

In that case, I may wait a day and download MH first since it's far smaller than LCU.

Can you download multiple things at once? I thought you could but last time, one download had to finish before the other began.

In that case, I may wait a day and download MH first since it's far smaller than LCU.

I've lined up 3 major games from eShop before but it only downloads one at a time so when one is done the next one starts

eshop says LCU at midnight on the 18th so I'll sleep a good 8 hours while it downloads 50% lol might be done by evening :p

G.O.O.

image.php

Sorry couldn't resist.
You're a bad man.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to know how the load times compare for the download version Vs disc. I don't have a HDD and would prefer to keep it that way, unless load times are noticably different.

(fingers crossed Pikmin 3 isn't too big to fit in the 32GB)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'd like to know how the load times compare for the download version Vs disc. I don't have a HDD and would prefer to keep it that way, unless load times are noticably different.

(fingers crossed Pikmin 3 isn't too big to fit in the 32GB)

Seconded. And also how does it compare storing/running the game on an external HDD vs. on the internal 32gb?

Seconded. And also how does it compare storing/running the game on an external HDD vs. on the internal 32gb?

speaking of which I once moved AC3 from external to internal storage lol damn that took a long ass time, then I moved it back again took forever

I saw no difference in performance sorry

Count me in for wanting to know. I've planned on buying all my WiiU games as physical discs, but if digital + going through my external HDD lowers the load times significantly, well, I'm on-board.

It's pretty clear that this game is fun. I'll be getting it digitally. I have a HDD attached to my Wii U already. I can't say I have any idea if games load faster from disc or download on the Wii U.

Davey Cakes

As for length, personally prefer shorter open-world games. Saints Row the Third worked wonders for the genre for me being like 10 hours
I can see that. It's probably nice to actually fully complete an open-world game without having to put 100 hours into it.

Top Bottom