• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ruxtpin

Banned
This is my conundrum. That bookshelf looks precarious as fuck! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet for this concern. I'm thinking about moving to a new place soon though... probably one of the requirements will be room enough for a 60" bookshelf :)

I know it looks high, but Ikea has engineered the bookshelf so that it starts to lean back against the wall the more stuff you put on it. Unless someone comes and tries to push stuff off the shelve or knock the whole thing over, it won't go anywhere. Now when little children enter the picture, that's a different story. =P

wetwired

Set is cheap and you get a motorcycle in it along with some other figures besides Cap. It is not a great set, but worth the price just to get the parts and figures.

The character or the figure? If the character, dems fightin' words!
All in good fun.

Character :p a guy I used to work with loved him and I'd wind him up all the time calling him captain stupidface

New pics of Lone Ranger 79111 Constitution Train Chase. It is nice.

loneranger-lego-blog1920-jpg_234753.jpg

Just got off the phone with my LEGO store. They will be selling Palace Cinema to VIP members starting on the 14th. Sooooo, Happy Valentine's Day to me.

wetwired

That's pretty nice actually, and the minifigs are great. Kinda feels a bit bland without any buildings though but I guess there's a town set or something coming to accompany it? I'm more interested in this than the iron man stuff surprisingly.

An update:

10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
10235 Creator, Product name unknown
10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200
10237 The Tower of Orthanc £170
10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter (release in May)

Just bit into my £95 of VIP points so only at £60 now, hoping this will be no more than £160 in a way but I also want it to be huge.

Either way this is great news although with my wife going to Japan to visit relatives in April this is a month later than would be useful.

how does everybody else display their SSD? Mine is still in the box, I'm scared that once I build it I won't have a place to display it.

I had my SSD on a window ledge and then on a shelf but now it's broken down for a bit. It does take a lot of room, and for me it needs to be below eye level as it is otherwise fairly ugly.

Chuck

Still without luck
An update:

10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
10235 Creator, Product name unknown
10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200
10237 The Tower of Orthanc £170
10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter (release in May)

What is this? New UCS?

Ponn

Banned
My heart was breaking today. I knew I really wanted to play Fire Emblem but I wanted the bigger screen so I had to pay a little more and get a 3DS XL, and then get Fire Emblem which took most of my tax refund after bills. I found one Vampyre Castle while I was in Walmart so i put it in my cart and kept it there through the store as I got some groceries and neccessities. Then I put it back...

I did say screw it and ordered a AWD Vampyres Hearse for $25 though.

My heart was breaking today. I knew I really wanted to play Fire Emblem but I wanted the bigger screen so I had to pay a little more and get a 3DS XL, and then get Fire Emblem which took most of my tax refund after bills. I found one Vampyre Castle while I was in Walmart so i put it in my cart and kept it there through the store as I got some groceries and neccessities. Then I put it back...

I did say screw it and ordered a AWD Vampyres Hearse for $25 though.

Saw this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q0OQCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ponn

Banned

yup, and I was hoping it was going to still be available till today back before my fire emblem/3DS debacle. I'm on a strict budget and the extra money I spent on the 3DS XL meant I had to give up the Vampyre Castle.

It's all good though, I won't regret getting the smaller screen and maybe when I start getting regular paychecks the Castle will still be available, if not Haunted House still should be and at least I have the Werewolf, Swamp Creature and now Vampyres Hearse before they go OOP.

Been racking my brain for weeks about how to attach the propellors to the main hull of the ship for my steam punk MOC. I had built the propellors using the Sopwith Camel one as a baseline, and had a vision in mind of how I wanted it to look on the airship. The trick was figuring out how to get the SNOT to work correctly.
This afternoon I had a breakthrough by discovering two pieces from the TIE Fighter. Have built the two main engines of the ship now. Time to get the hull moving along to attach these beasts!

Built out the Werewolf set this evening. The set itself is ok by the instructions, but the pieces would be great for MOCs. The Werewolf head is boss though.

Can't complain for $12.97

Ponn

Banned
Been racking my brain for weeks about how to attach the propellors to the main hull of the ship for my steam punk MOC. I had built the propellors using the Sopwith Camel one as a baseline, and had a vision in mind of how I wanted it to look on the airship. The trick was figuring out how to get the SNOT to work correctly.
This afternoon I had a breakthrough by discovering two pieces from the TIE Fighter. Have built the two main engines of the ship now. Time to get the hull moving along to attach these beasts!

You say steampunk but airships from Final Fantasy are very similar. Are you using any FF designs for a template? Should be plenty out there. Sounds pretty cool.

You say steampunk but airships from Final Fantasy are very similar. Are you using any FF designs for a template? Should be plenty out there. Sounds pretty cool.

It is going to be more FF based. No sails on top. At least not intending to use sails. Not sure if I will get propellors on top, but the side ones are good to go. Working on interior details for the lower deck now.

Ordered my first sets in years last night directly from the lego site. They're going to be shipped here on Wednesday. I'm actually a bit nervous here. Got the Bane set, the Arctic Batman set, and a bunch of S9 figs. Hopefully I get some good ones.

hym

Banned

This looks awesome but I'm really missing the connection rods on the steam locomotive wheels, they are responsible for like half the character on those old engines in motion. I figure it would add too much additional friction?

For anyone confused, these things:
800px-Walschearts_valve_gear.jpg

This looks awesome but I'm really missing the connection rods on the Steam locomotive wheels, they are responsible for like half the character on those old engines in motion. I figure it would add too much additional friction?

I think Emerald Night had them, didn't it? Or am I imagining things?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is my conundrum. That bookshelf looks precarious as fuck! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet for this concern. I'm thinking about moving to a new place soon though... probably one of the requirements will be room enough for a 60" bookshelf :)

It's a bookshelf.nlgo might be a bit heavy but its lighter than a shelf full of books.

Curious about all of those expert sets except LotR. Sydney opera house could be the ultimate white parts pack, but being more square than tower bridge iwondernhow big it could be. How big was the Taj Mahal - 48x48?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This looks awesome but I'm really missing the connection rods on the steam locomotive wheels, they are responsible for like half the character on those old engines in motion. I figure it would add too much additional friction?

Yeah emerald night had them, and the Lone Ranger set looks ike it has the same wheels, so should be easy to add a couple of technic half beams

MODULARS ARE ON SALE ON TOYS'R'US CANADA

Wow! We never see this up here.

Sopwith is also $107 CAD and Tower Bridge is down from $299 to $239 CAD!

I still need Pet Shop....and have been saving gift cards from my bday until I finish Town Hall....may just bite at this price though.

Edit: ah-the whole Creator line is 20% off so it must apply here too.

So Lord Vampyre took on this new day time job in the meat aisle of his local supermarket, having quite a little experience handling raw meat an such...

Sadly though, he's scaring all the customers away.

Poor guy, he really tried too!

chimster

Wow! We never see this up here.

Sopwith is also $107 CAD and Tower Bridge is down from $299 to $239 CAD!

I still need Pet Shop....and have been saving gift cards from my bday until I finish Town Hall....may just bite at this price though.

Edit: ah-the whole Creator line is 20% off so it must apply here too.

MUST BUY TOWER BRIDGE

So, yeah. I cracked how to get the propellors attached to the hull, but my brain caught up with ambition and I realize now that I need to modify them to actually stay attached to the hull. This is one of two engines built for my steampunk airship MOC.

The plan was for the engines to be on each side of the airship MOC. I was using the pins to connect so that the engines could rotate for take off and landing. However, after looking at it for a bit I realized that the engines are WAY too heavy to be supported by a single technic peg. I cannot think of any other way to get them attached and let them rotate except for a full axle going through them for support. Or I could just suck it up and have them stationary and go for looks over playability.

Either way, I think I am going to have to tear each one down to get another support piece through the middle. :(

chimster

Snagged the Grand Emporium, Tower Bridge, and the Pet Shop along with a couple smaller creator sets. My poor wallet. My wife is under the impression I picked up only 1 modular, haven't corrected that assumption yet.

We won't tell if you don't :p

Tempted to pick up Town Hall too but I showed some self restraint. Only Tower Bridge for me because its probably going to be OOP soon

Marko723

Neo Member
We won't tell if you don't :p

Tempted to pick up Town Hall too but I showed some self restraint. Only Tower Bridge for me because its probably going to be OOP soon

I also noted that the TRU reg price on the Town Hall is $10 over MSRP, which deflates the saving a bit.

Snagged the Grand Emporium, Tower Bridge, and the Pet Shop along with a couple smaller creator sets. My poor wallet. My wife is under the impression I picked up only 1 modular, haven't corrected that assumption yet.

You are a brave man-good pickups!

I am contemplating Tower Bridge because of the savings, but the set has never really grabbed me (I don't do enough creative building to justify the pieces either). I think I will bite on Pet Shop and try to track down the Winter Post Office as my next purchase. We are out of the holiday season but I will be kicking myself if I wait 10 months and can't find it.

Marko723

Neo Member
You are a brave man-good pickups!

I am contemplating Tower Bridge because of the savings, but the set has never really grabbed me (I don't do enough creative building to justify the pieces either). I think I will bite on Pet Shop and try to track down the Winter Post Office as my next purchase. We are out of the holiday season but I will be kicking myself if I wait 10 months and can't find it.

I picked up the Tower Bridge based on the rumour that it may be OOP in a year and this may be the best price I'll see. I'm also speculating that once I get into MOC'n I would regret it if I didn't grab it while I had the chance.

More Lone Ranger goodness. This time it's the Stagecoach Escape. Surprisingly, this set is only $30. 5 minifigs, 3 horses, and a nice stagecoach for $30 seems completely reasonable. I think I'm really going to like this Lone Ranger theme, hoping the movie is solid too.

EDIT: Beaten like a dead Lego horse.

So, yeah. I cracked how to get the propellors attached to the hull, but my brain caught up with ambition and I realize now that I need to modify them to actually stay attached to the hull. This is one of two engines built for my steampunk airship MOC.

The plan was for the engines to be on each side of the airship MOC. I was using the pins to connect so that the engines could rotate for take off and landing. However, after looking at it for a bit I realized that the engines are WAY too heavy to be supported by a single technic peg. I cannot think of any other way to get them attached and let them rotate except for a full axle going through them for support. Or I could just suck it up and have them stationary and go for looks over playability.

Either way, I think I am going to have to tear each one down to get another support piece through the middle. :(

that looks great, antisipation rising :)

also I now have a shared flat in Munich and a room with all of 12 square meters to myself.
And I am already buying LEGO again.
the sonic boom was 50% off, and an awesome set (that is my second -.-)
I was really bummed that I had missed the Lighthouse and the family house couldn't find them anywhere in the last 2 months, so once I saw those here I had to jump :-/
so yea nothing new there really...

Vyer

I think I'm getting better at the PAB wall. We took my son's free box from Christmas. Loaded that shit up. Lol

So Lord Vampyre took on this new day time job in the meat aisle of his local supermarket, having quite a little experience handling raw meat an such...

Sadly though, he's scaring all the customers away.

Poor guy, he really tried too!

Ha.

chimster

I picked up the Tower Bridge based on the rumour that it may be OOP in a year and this may be the best price I'll see. I'm also speculating that once I get into MOC'n I would regret it if I didn't grab it while I had the chance.

I think with the opera house coming out later in the year the bridge won't be here much longer

Top Bottom