• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

not until Captain American 2 or Avengers 2 at least and then it'll likely have a different suit. The set is cheap at least, I hate the character but I bought that set anyway just to complete the avengers.

eh you're probably right, i bit the bullet and ordered it just now... but then it came to me that i won't be able to "complete" the Avengers anyway unless i get a Hulk, the question is ... WHICH hulk to get to consider them complete? The huge figure or the minifig one (that is ultra rare and expensive to get now)

wetwired

eh you're probably right, i bit the bullet and ordered it just now... but then it came to me that i won't be able to "complete" the Avengers anyway unless i get a Hulk, the question is ... WHICH hulk to get to consider them complete? The huge figure or the minifig one (that is ultra rare and expensive to get now)

Both are awesome in their own way, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite between them.

Chuckie

If it is to complete your Avengers I'd go for the big Hulk, if it is to use for funny scenarios I'd pick the small one. Really depends on what you want to do with it.

R-User!

I was hoping the Malibu mansion would be more substantial, but they seem to be consciously keeping the price & piece count low on the summer superhero sets.

And where is
Iron Patriot?

And what is with Hobo Mandarin?

EDIT: Looking at them some more, they are disappointing overall. If I'm going to pick them up just for the minifigs, at least I'm glad they are cheap.

Gateway sets... :)

If it is to complete your Avengers I'd go for the big Hulk, if it is to use for funny scenarios I'd pick the small one. Really depends on what you want to do with it.

both? lol...

Seriously though, drop 50 bucks on Hulk's Helicarrier breakout which is a set i REALLY don't like (though it does come with Hawkeye as well which i am still missing)

OR

spend like 20 bucks on getting a used minifig Hulk figure by itself with nothing else hmmm

i do prefer the minifig one for looks but...

That figure is expensive now? I thought it was a pretty widely distributed poly.

I placed my first Bricklink order:

Sandy
Mr Crabbs
Squidward
Patrick
Sponge bob

Yes, my girls love Spongebob....but I hate the sets and they are very expensive. We can build a better Bikini Bottom ourselves.

That figure is expensive now? I thought it was a pretty widely distributed poly.

I placed my first Bricklink order:

Sandy
Mr Crabbs
Squidward
Patrick
Sponge bob

Yes, my girls love Spongebob....but I hate the sets and they are very expensive. We can build a better Bikini Bottom ourselves.

Hell yeah it is, BL prices are out of this world for it :(((

I like Spongbob, been considering some figs as well but as you said the sets really aren't all that hmmm

R-User!

I am late to the disappointment party but...

God! What a disappointment!!! The ONLY set i am even considering is indeed the boat one here but ...ugh :(

I knew the mansion was gonna be small with that price point but this isn't even a mansion, it's a couple windows :((((

Well maybe if we buy two to three sets we can complete the Malibu Mansion MOC style. That's 80-120 bucks for either 728 or 1092 pieces. I would imagine that with that many windows and pieces a person could almost certainly make a respectable Malibu Mansion...

kms_md

Ya...I can't say the same. They are often times the reason I buy sets so they get built fast. I just bought the Star Wars Desert Skiff set just for Boba Fett. Worth every penny.

I let my son have that set to build on the condition I got to keep the Boba Fett. He was happy to have the Sarlaac and Luke.

R-User!

Minifigs first but I'm considering changing that order the next time I buy a new set. I like the idea of saving the best for last.

Yes! And the anticipation of seeing them lie amongst, or near your set pieces as you build only increases the satisfaction of finally wedging the legs, head and accessories together!

Im teaching my son the satisfaction of delayed gratification in this world of instant gratification!!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The big hulk figure is awesome, I'd get that. Especially if you're collecting the Avengers, will make him stand out. Big Hulk is the film Hulk, minifig Hulk is like the Lou Ferrigno Hulk. Still awesome, but the big Hulk will fit better as part of that group.

The big hulk figure is awesome, I'd get that. Especially if you're collecting the Avengers, will make him stand out. Big Hulk is the film Hulk, minifig Hulk is like the Lou Ferrigno Hulk. Still awesome, but the big Hulk will fit better as part of that group.

Yeah i know, i might get him sometime down the line i guess... for now though i just ordered the minifig Hulk for 17 euro on BL, best price i could find with acceptable shipping!

Must have that one, i LOVE the funny potential in him (as demonstrated numerous times already in this thread by Phonciple ;) )

Anyone think Capt. America will show up in another Super Heroes set sometime soon?

If not, then my only option to get him will be to pick up that dreadful Avenging Cycle set for full price i guess since it never really goes on sale on Amazon :(

Set is cheap and you get a motorcycle in it along with some other figures besides Cap. It is not a great set, but worth the price just to get the parts and figures.

I hate the character

The character or the figure? If the character, dems fightin' words!
All in good fun.

Set is cheap and you get a motorcycle in it along with some other figures besides Cap. It is not a great set, but worth the price just to get the parts and figures.

The character or the figure? If the character, dems fightin' words!
All in good fun.

yeah i know, it's just that the 2 figures it comes with apart from the Cap. really have no obvious use to me, it's those 2 alien soldiers hmm...

Found this for $4 at a local thrift shop. What the hell did I just buy?

kSzTZHg.jpg

A whole lot of Technic pieces it seems ;P

I don't care much for Technic but those joints sure could come in handy once in a while! Nice haul for 4$ for sure no matter what it is lol

On a sidenote:

Can't wait for that upcoming Jurassic Park 4!! (actually i CAN, since it'll probably be crap but hey i wanted an excuse to post the picture)

I was lukewarm on those Dino sets at first and still am, but i bought this little "Ambush Attack" set the other day at a supermarket and i like it more than i expected!

Since fully getting back into LEGOs I've started to think about all the sets I had as a kid. I had the majority of the old west sets, lots of the pirates sets, and castle sets. Unfortunately, my father has all of my stuff and we have a terrible relationship. Haven't spoke in years. I sometimes wonder if he still has that stuff or if he threw it out.

Time for detective work!

The tan 1x8 brick doesn't look like something that is usually present in Technic sets. As a matter of fact, Bricklink shows that there is only one Technic set with that part.

The Telescopic Handler from 2008.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8295-1

The other parts seem to line up as well. (The fairings, 3x3 Llftarms, tan plates, etc).

DJ_Lae

Toys R Us in Canada has Creator and City all 20% off this week. This includes what few modulars they carry on their website as well as the Sopwith Camel.

It's also a deal good enough to invalidate the meager deals the actual Lego store has up here from time to time, including bonus VIP points or free shipping. Grand Emporium/Pet Store/Fire Brigade are down to $160, Town Hall is almost $200, Sopwith is $107 or so.

Makes me wish I'd waited on the green robot for the moc contest, could have saved five bucks.

Town Hall down to $151. Worth it at that price?

Yes.

I am almost finished with the first floor and it has easily been my most enjoyable build yet. The pillars are genius, and the fact that the main floor is actually elevated really makes the flow feel dynamic. The completed exterior doesn't have the detailing of FB or GE but I love it so far.

I paid $249 for it (Canadian, about the same in USD) and don't regret it at all.

hmmblah

Town Hall down to $151. Worth it at that price?

Definitely. Like was said above, the pillars were a surprise to me. I was not expecting them to be built that way. The roof directly above them is a neat build as well. My favorite part of the whole set though was the roof build. A couple of cool techniques. The floors in between were nothing special and having built the FB the bell was a disappointment.

ghostmind

An update:

10234 Creator, Sydney Opera house £250
10235 Creator, Product name unknown
10236 Star Wars Ewok Village £200
10237 The Tower of Orthanc £170
10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter (release in May)

ruxtpin

Banned
It is going to fall down and kill someone someday.

EDIT dammit, i'd love to have space to show off legos. And space to build 'em...

My office area/display area also doubles as the guest bedroom as needed. I don't mind if folks come over and stay, but as I show them the room I'll jokingly say, "This is my brick laboratory. Don't touch anything! Or I will break you."

Hell yes. 2766 pieces for $151? That is a steal.

Yes.

I am almost finished with the first floor and it has easily been my most enjoyable build yet. The pillars are genius, and the fact that the main floor is actually elevated really makes the flow feel dynamic. The completed exterior doesn't have the detailing of FB or GE but I love it so far.

I paid $249 for it (Canadian, about the same in USD) and don't regret it at all.

Definitely. Like was said above, the pillars were a surprise to me. I was not expecting them to be built that way. The roof directly above them is a neat build as well. My favorite part of the whole set though was the roof build. A couple of cool techniques. The floors in between were nothing special and having built the FB the bell was a disappointment.

Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, price went back to normal while I had to take care of something at work. Well, it will be around for a while. Will pick it up the next time it is on sale.

I should get Grand Emporium first I guess as that will be the next one to go.

AMUSIX

So, my wife is going to build the Haunted House as her first Lego project, and, by chance, I seem to recall someone here suggesting that the instructions be followed in a different order than what is presented. Something about doing phase 2 before phase 1 because 1 deals with a lot of little detail pieces?

If this rings a bell, let me know. Looks like she's going to launch into it sometime today.

lingiii

Banned
how does everybody else display their SSD? Mine is still in the box, I'm scared that once I build it I won't have a place to display it.

This is my conundrum. That bookshelf looks precarious as fuck! I haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet for this concern. I'm thinking about moving to a new place soon though... probably one of the requirements will be room enough for a 60" bookshelf :)

Top Bottom