• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Steampunk Airship MOC still going. Finally finished all the SNOT work on the sides of the steam engines. Now to figure out a control center and also what the hell to do at the front of this ship.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have to say the Friends sets look really great. Haven't bought one myself mind, but I have been tempted on occasion.

ghostmind

I am really warming up to the Castle sets... and having thoughts about picking up the rest of the Kingdoms sets I am missing.

I need to stop thinking.

Star Wars

ToFUJoz.jpg

Oh god, my wallet is going to be DESTROYED this year.

After spending all of last week looking for prices on the old Republic Gunship kits, THIS appears! Glorious.

I will have them all.

I have to say the Friends sets look really great. Haven't bought one myself mind, but I have been tempted on occasion.

Might as well, they have the Paradisa syndrome going on where all of them are more well designed than a lot of the sets for boys...though it seems Lego has stepped it up a bit more in that regard!

It must be a predecessor, because for an E-wing it's at least 30 years too early.

Course it being a Lego special they likely don't care about following any continuity... and blue stormtroopers? Jedi wearing full clone trooper or such armor, wut? Seems all very random

*edit: actually they are all new armor designs from the description and it's set during the Clone Wars which makes things even more odd.

mrkgoo

Ok, so for lego minifigs, the hands have the flat extended part upwards, right?

When I was young, for some reason I had them hang downwards, assuming the longer part were the fingers, but after I got older I realised the longer part are meant to be the thumbs.

Did anyone else think this originally?

Ok, so for lego minifigs, the hands have the flat extended part upwards, right?

When I was young, for some reason I had them hang downwards, assuming the longer part were the fingers, but after I got older I realised the longer part are meant to be the thumbs.

Did anyone else think this originally?

I still don't think of the hands as having an orientation. I just position them however it is that makes the helod item's orientation best.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Usually not too interested in the board games, but the Batman one looks adorable. Accurate microfigures, li'l Batmobile/Batboat/Joker's Funhouse/Gotham, and that sweet Bat-Signal!

TripOpt55

I really like these:

King's Castle
Gold Getaway
Dragon Mountain
Lone Ranger Mine Shootout
Eradicator Mech
Galactic Titan
Dolphin Cruiser
Treehouse
Family House

Not that I'll be able to get all of those. But I like them! Will try and get all the Castle ones at least.

IMAGE BOMB!

Sorry for the crap quality, but as usual the lighting in my apartment sucks.

So when you get over 30" of snow and cannot leave the house, what do you do? BUILD!

A steam powered beast of the skies.

Those gatling guns I built last summer? I finally put them to use. The turrets themselves rotate, and there is a gear on the back of the turret to spin the barrels.

The coal deposit kept on the ship. After all, something has to generate the steam.

The door to the coal furnace opens...

And you gotta keep that fire going HOT if you want the engines to keep working.

The coal shoveler. Also a crate of ammo for the cannons behind him.

The Captain and his first mate. Armed and ready for war!

First mate. The steam pressure valve control behind him.

Lookout at the front of the ship. Grappling hook ready to attack another ship.

Random soldier.

Melee fighter, ready to repel boarders. Also note in the background behind him, there are ammo belts feeding into the gatling guns.

The Captain

Close up of one of the propellor engines.

Close up of the SNOT work connecting the engines to the main body.

Close up of the SNOT work on the back side connecting the engines.

Rear of the ship.

Close up of the exhaust vents for the steam.

And the engines rotate for takeoff.

Close up of one of the propellors.

The connection point for the engines.

The Brick Show has started their video coverage. They'll be doing set previews at first, then hopefully longer set reviews tomorrow or Tuesday.

http://youtu.be/1q3Y0yeTpz8

LfY0bME.jpg

(Mouth of Sauron - helmet removed)

Some of the videos are low res now, but should be upped once they have everything uploaded for the day and can get the larger files transferred over.

This is the creepiest minifig head yet. Ugh.

This is looking great, Bone. Nice work! You're making good use of the Monster Fighter accessories to man your ships.

The engines look terrific-definitely the highlight. Love the railing at the bow as well.

Crizume

Neo Member
Fantastic ship. At first I wasn't to impressed because the initial shot doesn't capture its complete awesomeness. But the small details and the more I saw I said WOW.

Love the rotating propellers.

On another note everytime I see the Kings castle I can't hope but think of Stormwind from world of warcraft. Doesn't help that I have the mega blocks set of SW sitting at the side of my desk. The Blue and gold lion also resembles the ally banner.

I was already planning on buying the set but now I kinda wanna build a MOC Stormwind trade district. With the the Mega bloks castle for an entrance and a king's castle for expansion and medieval market village and more adding's i might be able to pull it off. Wishful thinking.

Also I still haven't got a feel for how people react to Mega Bloks on this forum but from a personal standpoint their Warcraft line was really top notch. I have no other dealings with them but everywhere else lego related they are looked upon as an evil stepchild.

Closer look at the detail on top of the engine connection. I used a knights jousting pole and threaded it through a coil piece.

A better look at the ammo belts. This was my second favorite thing to make outside of the engines.

Holy crap, Phonciple, that is some nice MOC work.

Thank you. First major non Modular MOC I have done. Steampunk has been something I have been wanting to get out of my system for some time, and it feels good to get it out. Cracking how to attach the propellors (propeller itself shamelessly stolen and slightly modified from Sopwith Camel) to the main engines was what got it moving really fast. Building the engines then attaching them to the main hull was easy after that. I just know I am very glad that I grabbed tons of gray 1x1 upward clip pieces when I was at the PAB wall, because it allowed for all the SNOT work on the set to come out that way.

And I made the mistake of looking at the previous page and seeing all the sets coming later this year. My wallet's response:
52419_o.gif

Hmmm. I'm not sure if it's worth buying the dragon attack pretty much exclusively for the dragon or to track one down separately. Is there a red dragon released already?

I've been looking at comparable dragons right before I heard about the new dragon set. They go for a lot $25+ used. I'm just going to get the dragon set. It has a lot of other useful parts and minifigs.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?colorID=59&itemID=73096

To see other dragons, go to "Items For Sale: Parts: Animal, Air" at bricklink and scroll to dragons.

Once we hit 2015, I think we are going to hit a period of sets mostly from the new Star Wars films for at least 6 years, with the odd OT or PT set thrown in.

I'll be picking up all the 2013 SW sets, but that is typical for me.

I'm not sure I have space or money to make it to 2015. There's so much good stuff right now.

IMAGE BOMB!

Great work! I like the gatling guns and furnace with light brick.

As always, thanks for the amazingly quick new Ghostmind!

Lone Ranger

2STbh87.jpg

OHTIb7C.jpg

I'm set on getting the Stage Coach set if I only get one set. I may pick up the 2 smaller sets. They have very nice period parts. Dat cannon! And get build up my horse. I wouldn't mind having a canoe and teepee too.

Tonto's head gear is interesting. Any possibility the crow comes off? I like the buffalo headgear too.

Lord of the Rings

3owXVkI.jpg

9gVHAKJ.jpg

I really like the Gandalf Saruman set. Lots of new colors for those parts. I don't think I've seen a yellow crystal ball. The black little rocket parts looks like a new color for those. And dat Eye of Sauron piece!

Council of Elrond is ok, but I only want it for the new minifigs.

I need to stop seeing the pirate ship. I didn't want it at first, but I want it more each time I see new photos of it.

Star Wars

ChQU19O.jpg

GYbHcdH.jpg

Those eyes on Darth Maul have the stink of Clone War cartoon. If it is, I can easily replace the head with the advent Santa Maul's head. The lower torso could be fun to make custom minifigs. I do like the new color of the Mandalorians.

About time for the new Yoda (non-Clone War cartoon). Looks good!

Digging the new minifigs on the barge. Slave Leia is getting hotter. For a plastic minifig that is.

Galaxy Squad

DApBRVa.jpg

I'm now sold on the Galaxy Squad theme. I just need to figure out which ones I can afford to get. Mech is a definite get. Lots of love for mechs lately. Going to have a cage match with all the mechs I'm gonna get.

These sets are definitely designed simpler on purpose for the younger crowd it's targeting. I'm only interested in the dragon set mainly for the dragon.

Like the high school set, but I have too much on my list already. Really interested in the mini dolls of that set. May have to bricklink them.

Dat yacht! That's a must get. So easy to modify to non-friends colors. Waiting to see what MOCs people make from the yacht.

Like the Creator prop plane, but that's cut to make room for dat house and dat treehouse!

Oh how could I have forgotten City...
etQQipO.jpg

Is the city suffering from noise pollution? Almost every set has that new looking earmuffs. Wondering if it's part of the cap or attachable like the visor is on helmets.

Also forgot Chima... lol.
PJXKzpI.jpg

Mostly just interested in the minifigs and some of the cool pieces they come with. Will pick a few sets up if can find a good sale on them.

My poor wallet.

$(KGrHqJHJBQE+Jlb3UunBP0!Wj0E4w~~60_35.JPG

Fowler

I really like the Castle sets for possible Game of Thrones MOC-ing. Wish the dragon wasn't red tho, Dany doesn't have a red dragon...

I'm not really feeling too many of the new sets. Chima, City, Friends and Castle don't really interest me too much and I'll probably only want a couple of the Star Wars sets. The Creator sets are all mine though. I'm sure the 10000 series' will grab me and my money.

Even though the new Yoda is PT stuff, i will still get him as there IS no current OT Yoda so he will do nicely!

Kinda torn on the Barge, on the one hand i am kinda disappointed as i think i prefer the look of the old one (which i never got) but on the other hand, it is THIS barge or NO barge so i might have no choice but get it and Max looks awesome at least!

IronRinn

Anyone have some extra Series 9 minifigures they would like to trade? Finally found them near me and bought a bunch. I'm in the US.

Still need:

Fortune Teller
Roman Emperor
Battle Mech
Policeman
Heroic Knight

Have to trade:

Mr. Good & Evil (two of these)
Alien Avenger
Plumber (Would like to get a Fortune Teller for this one.)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Some really good sets there, have to say that the Jabba's Barge set looks great, and the Bug Obliterator looks like a really fun set too. Is that the one that splits into three? If I had something like that when I was younger it would have been amazing. Having said that, I did have this so I didn't miss out too much. Loved that set. Must have had a few of them because I remember having the moon base plate too.

In other news, I found out I'm a kind of a snob in a really niche way. I'm finding myself eyeing up the Iron Man minifigs with the circle light in the chest on Bricklink even though it's more expensive, as I don't like the triangle light and the new Iron Man armours from the third film don't look as good. I am not doing myself any favours. I don't want to buy the Quinjet just for the minifig, because I don't have the room for it right now. I should probably just not buy minifigs on Bricklink. I know if I do, I'll end up wanting to get the rest of the Avengers too and make a little framed display like I've seen on here, and that way madness lies, with Black Widow and Hulk being so expensive. Either that, or I'll get the Iron Man & War Machine set later in the year and suck it up. That's cheap, plus I'll get War Machine out of the deal and for that I can probably deal with the inferior armour.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd just get the Quinjet. Even if you don't have room it's worth it and most places I've seen it have it on sale for $50.

I'm in the UK so it's the equivalent of around $110 in the places I've seen it. If I saw it for the UK equivalent of $50 (£30) I'd snap it up, no question.

Edit: having said that, I am finding cheaper deals online...

TripOpt55

I couldn't sleep last night, so I made a Robin Hood tree-fort hideout type MOC. It is my first MOC since I was little just slapping pieces together. Meaning the first that looks competent. On the other hand it is no Steampunk airship by any means. I am going to take some pictures once I jazz it up a bit and post them.

I'm in the UK so it's the equivalent of around $110 in the places I've seen it. If I saw it for the UK equivalent of $50 (£30) I'd snap it up, no question.

Edit: having said that, I am finding cheaper deals online...

Damn, yeah that would be a little much if all you're really interested in is the minifig.

Top Bottom