• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Does someone need a nudge to buy the QuinJet?

Just completed it today:

20130211181547.jpg

The whole thing was a joy to build :)

I agree. Very fun build, done it twice so far.

ghostmind

Did you ask the clerks? The one I went to, the clerks were awesome and actually felt up the entire series for me. No fondling of small sacks on my part was required. It was all payoff.

The clerks at my store weren't so helpful, but I did get some assistance from another AFOL that tracked down another chicken-suit guy for me. Managed to get the complete set now.

Bring on Series 10!

Some much awaited pieces arrived for Ecto-1 today so I got a bit more done, still needs some work so comments and critique are welcome.

Also I thought I'd share this, I was using my Nexus 7 to look at pictures of Ecto-1 for reference, I got the shits with trying to prop it up against something and it sliding down so I knocked up a little stand for it. I thought I'd just pull it apart again but I've started adding to it now, it's now got a little spot underneath for my mobile phone to slide in to charge with the cable fit snuggly between some bricks so that I can slide the phone back into the port nice and cleanly. Fuck paying for docks and cradles any longer!

Nice LEGO stand!

On a sidenote: Just got back from a store with a HUGE haul:

Actually found The Black Pearl for MSRP, so i got that + 2 hugely discounted Alien Conquest sets (don't care about those but the discount was like 60% off or so) and got Dino HQ for 50% off, couldn't say no to that T-Rex and Raptor!!!

Dat T-Rex. Dat Raptor! I bought those sets on discount purely for the dinosaurs. They have some interesting pieces, but I currently don't have a great need for a lot of yellow.

oh my, how much is this going to be? looks very nice

If you check previous page to this post Ghostmind also summarized the price of the other sets.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47538775&postcount=6651

I waiting for a fully consolidated list of prices and release dates to plan my purchases.

Some much awaited pieces arrived for Ecto-1 today so I got a bit more done, still needs some work so comments and critique are welcome.

right.jpg

Very, very nice. Dat chrome!

The top of the car looks fantastic, as does the front grill/lights. But the sides just feel...off? I cant really describe it. Maybe a clearer definition for the doors, like handles? It just feels incredibly bare after the awesome front end and the roof.

Any pics of the back end of it?

So my first shipment of legos in forever was supposed to be delivered today. Bane set and Arctic Batman, along with a bunch of S9 Minifigures. My girlfriend was here all morning and should have been able to sign, but instead the FedEx people came when she was in the bathroom doing something and apparently they came and left in the span of about 3-4 seconds.

I guess I can wait another day. But no one is going to be here for a long stretch tomorrow, so I guess I'll sign the little sheet and put it on my door. Hopefully nobody steals them
LLShC.gif

R-User!

So my first shipment of legos in forever was supposed to be delivered today. Bane set and Arctic Batman, along with a bunch of S9 Minifigures. My girlfriend was here all morning and should have been able to sign, but instead the FedEx people came when she was in the bathroom doing something and apparently they came and left in the span of about 3-4 seconds.

I guess I can wait another day. But no one is going to be here for a long stretch tomorrow, so I guess I'll sign the little sheet and put it on my door. Hopefully nobody steals them
LLShC.gif

Can you drive to the FedEx depot and pick it up in person tonight?

Damn cool microscale.

I was thinking about that yesterday. The next MOC contest we do should be a microscale contest of some sort. Something VERY different.

Is microscale not allowed for the current MOC contest? I have mine done which is microscale, but need to find time to do some photos. No biggie if not, I will still share for feedback and just for the fun of it.

while I agree something else would be nice, I don't see how we can get a level playing field any other way.

A lot more work to prepare, but could do piece count limits and/or certain types of pieces. A purely brick (1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x4, etc) built MOC may be interesting.

LLShC.gif

Happens to me all the time. Waiting, then step away for a few minutes and they decide to deliver. So...where do you live? Is it a gated community? ;)

I like. What's that supposed to be on the mountain in the distance?

A building/temple of some sort is my guess.

iuuk

The top of the car looks fantastic, as does the front grill/lights. But the sides just feel...off? I cant really describe it. Maybe a clearer definition for the doors, like handles? It just feels incredibly bare after the awesome front end and the roof.

To me the sides feel off because the wheels are too small (same problem as the modular cinema limo), the rest seems perfect.

Anyway, because amazon was being an ass and discounted many architecture sets recently I couldn't resist buying them;

Is microscale not allowed for the current MOC contest? I have mine done which is microscale, but need to find time to do some photos. No biggie if not, I will still share for feedback and just for the fun of it.

Nothing's off limits. Run with what you have!

I still haven't opened the box for that set yet. I've been finishing Town Hall off for the last couple of days. Floors 2 & 3 were not terribly exciting-the general consensus was right. First floor is great & I'm hoping the roof will be interesting.

If anything, building it just a week or two after completing Grand Emporium was probably a mistake. It's made me think about holding off on picking up Pet Shop & Palace Cinema in the near future.

Nice LEGO stand!

Dat T-Rex. Dat Raptor! I bought those sets on discount purely for the dinosaurs. They have some interesting pieces, but I currently don't have a great need for a lot of yellow.

If you check previous page to this post Ghostmind also summarized the price of the other sets.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47538775&postcount=6651

I waiting for a fully consolidated list of prices and release dates to plan my purchases.

thanks! so the same price as the first house, seems fair I think

After not thinking much initially of those Alien Conquest themed sets, i just built that "UFO Abduction" set and it was a pretty fun build, looks cute in a Mars Attacks kinda way and that farmer is just hilarious :) it comes with a neat gimmick/feature as well where you can pretty much "abduct" every single minifig out there, i even managed to abduct a tree with the UFO grabbing mechanism ;)

Nothing's off limits. Run with what you have!

Cool.

I like what someone did to the chicken suit guy:

8289594526_c88a0f27ca.jpg

Haha. I have to copy that. Is there was a way to find the flickr feed that image belongs to?

After not thinking much initially of those Alien Conquest themed sets, i just built that "UFO Abduction" set and it was a pretty fun build, looks cute in a Mars Attacks kinda way and that farmer is just hilarious :) it comes with a neat gimmick/feature as well where you can pretty much "abduct" every single minifig out there, i even managed to abduct a tree with the UFO grabbing mechanism ;)

I liked the theme when I saw it, but not enough to buy them. Once they were heavily discounted, I was all over them. Sad we didn't get to see the second wave. There is a photo (I think in this thread) showing it in the background of LEGO office. IMO an under-appreciated theme. Kids probably didn't appreciate the retro style.

You can add restrictions like 16x16.

Or 4x4. ;)

There are times when a man must bow to the harsh realities of every day life.

It is in these times that a man's mettle is tested and a true measure of his character can be taken. It is with learned wisdom, not sorrowful pity that we look upon a man in such a state. We lock our gaze on this man not to burden ourselves with his wretchedness, but to celebrate the lessons we have divined by his folly.

We see a man who has been bested.

We see a man who has acquiesced.

We see a man who backed down.

Today, I am not that man.

It was a hard fought battle and many lives were lost. We must not forget them. In the end however the glory of our cause was held aloft and LEGO was allowed out of the basement in the PalaceBrother household.

Currently the bulk of our LEGO is in my gym/office in the basement. These shelves from Ikea are terrific if people are looking for ideas.

I plan on getting a larger one to replace this shelf, which is about to run out of space.

Also-my first Bricklink order showed up (just a few days after placing it). Couldn't be happier with the service.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey LEGO GAF! It's been ages since I've posted in the LEGO thread. :)

For the record, I have assembled (and disassembled) my SSD and Death Star that I bought ages ago. They're in the storage closet at the moment since I simply don't have room for them in the apartment at the moment.

I decided I wanted to dump my Architecture sets. They're just sort of taking up space in my office. I don't do much physical MOC work (I play in LDD more than anything), so I figured if someone wanted them for parts OR for display, this was the right spot to put it. Shipping would be around $7 to anywhere in the USA (give or take). Prices include shipping.

Robie House - Box is pretty damaged (it came that way). Looking to get $135
Farnsworth House - Great condition. $42
Brandenburg Gate - My newest one, so it's been on display for the least time. $21
Fallingwater - My OLDEST set. Been on display for a while, but outside of dust, it just looks pretty on my display shelf. $70

I hope I'm fair on the pricing. Shoot me a PM and we can talk if you're interested. :)

You can add restrictions like 16x16.
Exactly. Set some restrictions and ground rules, but you can use anything as long as it meets criteria. So while some people have a larger pallet, everyone is using the same canvas.

Either size restriction or theme. Like only one vehicle or something, no larger than X. Or a mini modular style building with same base dimensions.

wetwired

I was lukewarm about your Ecto at first but these pics swayed me, now it looks awesome!!

The only thing i can think of to maybe improve it is at the back that red wing piece on the sides, you might try attaching a flat tiled grey or silver/chrome piece but it would probably look too thick so it might not work out. You ARE planning to put this on Cuuso right?

Yeah the back and fins are still very rough, that's my next area to concentrate on.

It wouldn't take much to throw it up on cussoo with those custom ghostbusters I made, I'd have to use different lego built proton packs and guns though as they don't allow custom\other products (ie brickforge)

I don't care if the thread gets spammed with replies....this is gorgeous, Brent. I'd wager you could get enough supporters on Cuusoo to get this thing reviewed.

I'm not sure if you mentioned or not-but do you have plans to make it minifig scale?

This is probably as close to minifig scale as it can get without sacrificing detail. I'm still trying to figure out a way that I can have an interior as currently it's all sealed off inside due to the way I did the windows and sides.

I could probably squeeze a set of handles in there. it just won't be as smooth to accommodate it, it'll give it a try.

The back end is very much still in progress, hence why there's no photos of it, it's actually very tricky with all the fin etc.

That looks amazing! Are you going to order some custom decals as well?

No I can print out my own using waterslide decals :)

wetwired

To me the sides feel off because the wheels are too small (same problem as the modular cinema limo), the rest seems perfect.

Anyway, because amazon was being an ass and discounted many architecture sets recently I couldn't resist buying them;
Yeah the wheels are tough. If anyone has any suggestions for better ones please let me know. That's the best I had in my collection. I ordered some others but the were even smaller. It hard to tell the size of the wheels on bricklink.

I went on FedEx.com and opted for pick up rather than a delivery tomorrow morning. So I go down to the FedEx office about an hour later and what am I told?

"That means you can pick it up no earlier than tomorrow afternoon."

Son of a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

If I miss a UPS delivery, I can go there a few hours later and pick it up no hassle. But apparently with FedEx, not only do I have to go online and say I want to pick it up, but I also have to wait around an extra day?

Disgusting. Oh well. Batman, Bane, and Mr. Freeze can wait another day I suppose.

So I finally figured out that the bags I thrifted are part of this set:

8295-1.jpg

There was a Toronto gaffer who was looking for some Technic pieces/sets to build with his friends' kids. I don't remember his user name, but he posted an incredibly inspiring video about his ongoing efforts to live with quadriplegia.

Anybody remember this guy? If so can you please post his username? I'm not a big Technic fan so I'd like to send these bags to him.

womp

A little over 4 hours spanning two evenings and the LEGO Falcon my in-laws got me for Christmas is finished!

Lots of fun. This is the first LEGO set that I put together in almost 30 years on my own that was for me and not my 5 year old (Which I assist with sometimes).

Unfortunately it has ignited a fire within me for more and that A-Wing looks appetizing....:|

13+-+1
13+-+4
13+-+6
13+-+8
13+-+3
13+-+2

A little over 4 hours spanning two evenings and the LEGO Falcon my in-laws got me for Christmas is finished!

Lots of fun. This is the first LEGO set that I put together in almost 30 years on my own that was for me and not my 5 year old (Which I assist with sometimes).

Unfortunately it has ignited a fire within me for more and that A-Wing looks appetizing....:|

Complete the New Hope collection: X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, and of course the Best...err...I mean Death Star.

womp

Complete the New Hope collection: X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, and of course the Best...err...I mean Death Star.

If I had the room I would consider it. A guy I know snagged the X-Wing just because he had to have a LEGO Porkins. :)

I wouldn't mind the Landspeeder, just to get R2 and 3PO so I could complete the principal cast of minifigs.

Looks like the desert skiff is a cool $16 on Amazon too...

2 more moons.
I a tempted to drive to the store Friday to get it, but will be about three hours away because of an appointment. Will probably drive up there Monday when no one else is there and pillage PAB again.

If I had the room I would consider it. A guy I know snagged the X-Wing just because he had to have a LEGO Porkins. :)

I wouldn't mind the Landspeeder, just to get R2 and 3PO so I could complete the principal cast of minifigs.

Looks like the desert skiff is a cool $16 on Amazon too...

For C3PO and R2, get the droid escape set. You get both droids and two badass Sandtroopers.

Fowler

Seconded on Droid Escape -- the Sandtroopers are an awesome bonus (I bought it for the droids too).

And OK, maybe getting all the classic trilogy ships is too much. That's OK. Just start slow. Start with the X-Wing... then hell, you might as well get the TIE Fighter to go with it... and the Y-Wing because it looks cool...

womp

I a tempted to drive to the store Friday to get it, but will be about three hours away because of an appointment. Will probably drive up there Monday when no one else is there and pillage PAB again.

For C3PO and R2, get the droid escape set. You get both droids and two badass Sandtroopers.

I have considered this, but for the price, it doesn't seem like much for the money...the escape pod itself looks kind of lame actually. At least the Landspeeder is the Landspeeder and isn't much more in terms of cost.

Top Bottom