• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I couldn't sleep last night, so I made a Robin Hood tree-fort hideout type MOC. It is my first MOC since I was little just slapping pieces together. Meaning the first that looks competent. On the other hand it is no Steampunk airship by any means. I am going to take some pictures once I jazz it up a bit and post them.

Post it, post it!

Chuckl3s

Didn't see this posted yet...

ee3c_build-on_brick_mug.jpg

Build-On Brick Mug

Only $19.99!

agreed. how did you manage this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47502950&postcount=6538

Shows the engine off on its own. I realized that the single peg would not support the weight, so I went with a hybrid of Calm Killer's idea and used the leg hinge pieces that come with the mechs:

The peg from this has a much stronger grip than a traditional Technic peg, and thankfully enough that I didnt have to rebuild the entire engine to fit the female piece for the hinge. You can see where I set the tile for the engine to rest on so it does not keep rotating.

Build-On Brick Mug

Only $19.99!

Oooooooh. I wants.

That reminds me, I have a LEGO compatible case for an iPhone 4/4S if anyone wants it. Maybe trade it for a mini figure or something if anyone is looking for a nice phone case.

@Wetflame:

I was an avid Quinjet hater before, but i got it on sale as well the other day, while i still stand by the opinion that as a display piece it really is nothing special, i've got to say the actual BUILD was pretty fun, especially the inside of the cockpit and little hangout area/tech area! It also is pretty sturdy as a whole. The figs are great which are the main reason to get this of course. At worst it does have a lot of grey pieces which always come in handy for MOCs!

@Wetflame:

I was an avid Quinjet hater before, but i got it on sale as well the other day, while i still stand by the opinion that as a display piece it really is nothing special, i've got to say the actual BUILD was pretty fun, especially the inside of the cockpit and little hangout area/tech area! It also is pretty sturdy as a whole. The figs are great which are the main reason to get this of course. At worst it does have a lot of grey pieces which always come in handy for MOCs!

Did you swoosh it?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
@Wetflame:

Haha yeah I've read on here it's a great build, it's really a space/cost issue for me, and although I'd have fun with the build it doesn't really justify the price tag (right now, saving for a house so when that's sorted I'll solve both my problems). I'd also hate to buy and re-sell without the figs, seems a bit mercenary. I'll just hold out for the smaller set with War Machine. I love a little set I can put on my desk at work where the figs are the focus, the reason I ended up bricklinking the parts for Wetwired's tumbler!

Need advice, LEGOGAF.

My home's display area is now officially 100% full. The problem is that I still have 5 unbuilt sets that need somewhere to display.

For the first time ever, I must disassemble some of my displayed sets. My options are to keep set pieces together, and only mix if/when I ever feel like making my first MOC, or to mix different sets together by grouping the pieces by color or size.

What do you guys recommend? Also, what kind of containers do you guys recommend? Amazon links appreciated.

Need advice, LEGOGAF.

My home's display area is now officially 100% full. The problem is that I still have 5 unbuilt sets that need somewhere to display.

For the first time ever, I must disassemble some of my displayed sets. My options are to keep set pieces together, and only mix if/when I ever feel like making my first MOC, or to mix different sets together by grouping the pieces by color or size.

What do you guys recommend? Also, what kind of containers do you guys recommend? Amazon links appreciated.

sort them by pice type, never by colour or you will spend the rest of your days searching...
I have a ton of simple plastic containers (like tupper ware) that you can find all over the place. these are filled with seperate types of bricks.
these medium sized containers are then grouped and added to large boxes for storage

sort them by pice type, never by colour or you will spend the rest of your days searching...
I have a ton of simple plastic containers (like tupper ware) that you can find all over the place. these are filled with seperate types of bricks.
these medium sized containers are then grouped and added to large boxes for storage

The best way to do it. The only time I ever sort out by color is if I have TONS of a certain color of a certain piece (500+ tan cheese slopes from Tower Bridge) and have all the other colors of that brick together.

Sorting by piece or piece type is the best thing to do, and the most efficient when you want to hunt down the piece later.

Need advice, LEGOGAF.

Do you own? If so, you might want to consider this shelving option:

We have this on all four sides of the room. It's a fairly cheap solution too.

Pyrogeek

Took my first foray into the Lego world as an adult this weekend when I picked up the X-Wing.

That was a very fun set to build and I love how it comes with two pilots (Luke and Porkins) and two astromech droids.

I'll grab the Tie Fighter next and start to fantasize about the Millenium Falcon...

Did you swoosh it?

Ha!

Matter of fact, i did... It is indeed pretty swooshable, especially the movable flaps in the front give it a nice aerodynamic landing brake effect :)

The end result was that my wife was getting annoyed by the third time of me swooshing by with the Quinjet ;)

As i also have no room to display it and since i still think it's not that great a display piece, it shall soon be disassembled, but what remains are memories of a fun build!

Cool, the crow does come off, but it won't fit on a stud. Not sure why I thought that, but will be useful for MOCs at least.

79107 Comanche Camp 18 by fbtb, on Flickr

Build-On Brick Mug

Only $19.99!

Cool mug, but imagine how hard it would be too keep it clean.

Need advice, LEGOGAF.

Check out these storage solutions:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/with/7198596320/#photo_7198596320

As others mentioned earlier, there's a hierarchy.

1) Sort by piece type first
2) Sort by color if have bulk quantities

TripOpt55

Okay here is my MOC. It is my first one. I also don't have my pieces organized, so I was kind of winging it. And I used a lot of big pieces which I'm sure is cheating, but until I break down some of my other sets I don't have the bricks to do walls just made of brick. Here it goes.

iWUSArEChyaaz.JPG

I was aiming for a Robin Hood Fort style thing. Made that tree tower first and just kind of went from there. Wanted to include the vines, some kind of fort and a prison.

iJgMGqzVprUSF.JPG

This is a close look at the top of the tree tower thing.

iHYWaYMmpNSUN.JPG

Robin Hood climbing/swinging from a vine.

iPVJTihbbUAWB.JPG

A look at the Fort side.

iEZVsE8J8x7Nq.JPG

Here is the prison. I wanted to make it a pit-style prison. Ended up a little smaller than I intended. I don't know if these guys having a prison makes sense, but I wanted to make one so whatever!

ibkQEREEoP1gVR.JPG

I put some pillars on the inside so it loooked a bit better. I also chained a guy up and threw a skeleton in there because prisons in those times always seem to just have an old skeleton in them!

iMocDy6zKXqHl.JPG

Had a lot of dead space with the base plates I used, so decided to make a campfire, a bench and a table. Robin is warming his hands on the fire while the other two have a drink.

Okay that is it. I started a Castle before moving onto this, so maybe I will work on that next. Was fun to try something on my own though!

Ironmask

Steampunk Airship MOC still going. Finally finished all the SNOT work on the sides of the steam engines. Now to figure out a control center and also what the hell to do at the front of this ship.

Late to the party but your MOC is a big work of techniques and love for LEGOs

BioHazard

Is there any good way to keep track of newly released and upcoming sets? I like Brickset but you can only view an entire year at a time and cannot sort by release date (besides year). Also, it is filled with unreleased sets

TripOpt55

looks fun to me :)
and of course it isn't cheating when you use "large" bricks ;P

The watchtower/tree fort/ robin hood MOC is wonderful.

Why do I just assume that this guy is being played by Johnny Depp? Is he being played by Johnny Depp?

Love the Robin Hood MOC!

Nice Robin Hood fort...

Really like the fire :) feels cozy

Thanks guys! You made my day!

Lego needs to hire THIS guy as a modular designer imo!

This easily tops every modular out there currently...

I'm sure he'd be able to do something smaller as well if they're concerned about piece count etc.

Thanks for the storage advice guys!

I just bought Jabba's Palace, Rancor Pit and Desert Skiff. Happy birthday to me :)

Now I just need Jabba's Sail Barge later this year!

Just finishing making my Tie Fighter. The only complaint I have is that a couple of the main panels for the wings have some fine scratches on them that you can see when the light catches them. :(

Edit: What's the point in the part used in step 16?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Oh wow - not checked the thread in ages.

Bone, love the ship. I am working on a boat MOC myself (mine's less steampunk and more industrial) after snaring hull pieces cheap from eBay, but can't top yours!

Btw - just three sleeps until Palace Cinema...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm impressed LEGO GAF. Not a single post in half a day. No MOCs, no further Toy Fair wallet-freaking-out antics? No "dat ____" SNOT admirations from ghost-minded phonbones?

Galaxy Squad alone is going to eat my wallet alive.

robjoh

Okay here is my MOC. It is my first one. I also don't have my pieces organized, so I was kind of winging it. And I used a lot of big pieces which I'm sure is cheating, but until I break down some of my other sets I don't have the bricks to do walls just made of brick. Here it goes.

iWUSArEChyaaz.JPG

Really cool, good work. I like the old school minfig. I think the last time they were in production was during my youth.

neonglow

I'm impressed LEGO GAF. Not a single post in half a day. No MOCs, no further Toy Fair wallet-freaking-out antics? No "dat ____" SNOT admirations from ghost-minded phonbones?

Galaxy Squad alone is going to eat my wallet alive.

I was busy Lego shopping. After 2 hours of feeling bags, I managed to get all 16 mini figures. I have never felt so many cops and cyclops.

Chicken suit guy and the plumber are my favorites. The plumber's plunger is actually rubber and connected to the handle.

The hardest to figure out was rollergirl cause those skates are really small. The hardest to find were the forest maiden and Hollywood starlet since there's only 2 in a box. The bow for the maiden is bigger and much nicer than the regular castle bow.

If you guys need any tips on bag feeling, I can provide some.

My Lego Store still hasn't got Series 9 in...what gives? Or maybe I'm not checking hard enough but I scoured the whole store yesterday and nada!

My Lego Store still hasn't got Series 9 in...what gives? Or maybe I'm not checking hard enough but I scoured the whole store yesterday and nada!

Did you ask the clerks? The one I went to, the clerks were awesome and actually felt up the entire series for me. No fondling of small sacks on my part was required. It was all payoff.

Those upcoming Star Wars sets are going to kill my budget. Are there always these many big set per year?!? I have to get AT-TE and Gunship, along with Jabba's Sail Barge. They all look great!

And to think I was about to dabble into non-Star Wars set.

wetwired

Some much awaited pieces arrived for Ecto-1 today so I got a bit more done, still needs some work so comments and critique are welcome.

right.jpg

left.jpg

top.jpg

I ordered a couple of these piece too that should hopefuly make for a better siren\lights
4d51fdd9719bb_196820n.jpg

Also I thought I'd share this, I was using my Nexus 7 to look at pictures of Ecto-1 for reference, I got the shits with trying to prop it up against something and it sliding down so I knocked up a little stand for it. I thought I'd just pull it apart again but I've started adding to it now, it's now got a little spot underneath for my mobile phone to slide in to charge with the cable fit snuggly between some bricks so that I can slide the phone back into the port nice and cleanly. Fuck paying for docks and cradles any longer!

stand.jpg

stand2.jpg

I was lukewarm about your Ecto at first but these pics swayed me, now it looks awesome!!

The only thing i can think of to maybe improve it is at the back that red wing piece on the sides, you might try attaching a flat tiled grey or silver/chrome piece but it would probably look too thick so it might not work out. You ARE planning to put this on Cuuso right?

On a sidenote: Just got back from a store with a HUGE haul:

Actually found The Black Pearl for MSRP, so i got that + 2 hugely discounted Alien Conquest sets (don't care about those but the discount was like 60% off or so) and got Dino HQ for 50% off, couldn't say no to that T-Rex and Raptor!!!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Some much awaited pieces arrived for Ecto-1 today so I got a bit more done, still needs some work so comments and critique are welcome.
I was lukewarm about your Ecto at first but these pics swayed me, now it looks awesome!!
[...]
You ARE planning to put this on Cuuso right?

Yeah, man. I was kind of meh at first, but these new pics have completely sold me and I want one of my own now!
Jesus, that Ecto is a beauty. I want to make one!
Throwing my hat in the "this is superb and I want one" ring! Obviously you need to release a parts list/instructions set for this beauty. It's amazing! It's funny how the little details have completely transformed it, really good work.

Those upcoming Star Wars sets are going to kill my budget. Are there always these many big set per year?!? I have to get AT-TE and Gunship, along with Jabba's Sail Barge. They all look great!

And to think I was about to dabble into non-Star Wars set.

Yea, just often lot of crap that no one wants each release. These upcoming sets are full of good stuff

Top Bottom