• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

Even though my efforts seem rather quaint now I still did a little work on my Ghostbusters HQ, All the pieces arrived to do the bottom grey floor and I did the front doors and a little detailing, I need to find a good handle for the doors, any recommendations? ice skates maybe?

stage04.jpg

Even though my efforts seem rather quaint now I still did a little work on my Ghostbusters HQ, All the pieces arrived to do the bottom grey floor and I did the front doors and a little detailing, I need to find a good handle for the doors, any recommendations? ice skates maybe?

stage04.jpg

This is awesome! It will look great if you get some decals made.

Philia

stage04.jpg

Wow. NICE! Well... as for the handles... would guns work?

With the 2013 set, it's going to either break 5,000 pcs total (or get close to it) for all the sets. As such, it's getting to be a bit much to rebuild them every year, so I'm thinking of keeping them assembled (but stored away) during the offseason, and just building the new kit each year.

Train: 965
Toy Shop: 815
Bakery: 687
Post Office: 822
Cottage: 1,490

So we're already at 3,814 pieces (or 4,779).

I agree with you. I dismantled the Toy Shop after Christmas with the intent of building it with the other ones for the 2013 season, but after getting the Bakery & Cottage this month I'm starting to think this will be the last year I'll do it. Going to grab Post Office tomorrow while it's still around.

It feels strange having decent sized sets sitting around in the box. I don't get how you people have backlogs for more than week or two.

Are we sure the Post Office is out of print all together, or just until next holiday season?

It's officially a "retired" set.

I spoke with LEGO employees at two different stores, who said that the Cottage would return this season at full price and that the Post Office is gonzo.

I have a very bad habit of building collections whenever I get interested in things (books, tools, LEGO, LPs etc. etc.).

A byproduct of this is that I hate disposing of the packaging these things come in. For LEGO, that includes the plastic bags.

Does anybody else hold onto them? I need to break this habit.

I have a very bad habit of building collections whenever I get interested in things (books, tools, LEGO, LPs etc. etc.).

A byproduct of this is that I hate disposing of the packaging these things come in. For LEGO, that includes the plastic bags.

I don't think I could ever do that. I was just commenting yesterday that I think LEGO uses the most annoying plastic possible. It doesn't compact very well and it's loud as hell. Couldn't imagine keeping them all. I definitely keep the boxes though. I'm wondering what I'm going to do with them soon, as they're starting to build up.

ruxtpin

Banned

To your first point, I said the exact same thing to my girlfriend about a month ago. At any given point in my life, I'll be collecting something; must be a personality thing, because I know not everyone has that tic.

Anyhow, I hold onto most of the boxes (I've been keeping boxes for 10XXX series sets, and any LotR or SW sets I have). All the other boxes I ditch. Have never kept the bags though.

I kept the bags for a while. Then I realised I would never use them again. I bought a few zip-lock bags in varying sizes and I use those for any disassembled sets..

I made more money, she made same. No deductions changed or anything. But looking again, it was down to about 35-40% of last year's amount. REALLY sucks. We had planned on that floating us through the trip, but now it is time to pinch pennies for it.

There shouldn't have been any changes from 2012 to 2013 if both your weekly/monthly paychecks remained the same. Something must have changed on your withholding.

(There was a $400 drop from 2011 to 2012 because of the temporary work credit thing).

Sounds like your extra earnings pushed you guys into a higher tax bracket. It sucks, happened to my wife and I as well.

I don't think marginal tax rates work like that. Maybe Phonciple's company withheld less of his pay increase than they should have.

I agree with you. I dismantled the Toy Shop after Christmas with the intent of building it with the other ones for the 2013 season, but after getting the Bakery & Cottage this month I'm starting to think this will be the last year I'll do it. Going to grab Post Office tomorrow while it's still around.

It feels strange having decent sized sets sitting around in the box. I don't get how you people have backlogs for more than week or two.

Where are you finding the winter sets on shelves? I can't find them anywhere.

Where are you finding the winter sets on shelves? I can't find them anywhere.

I feel like I'm bragging whenever I mention it but there's a store around the corner from me that exclusively sells LEGO. They regularly have sets 1-2 years out of production and generally stick very close to MSRP. They also carry international & exclusive sets as well.

This is awesome. I had no idea that this is what they look like. Are there any good videos on the factory process?

Any idea how much longer the Grand Emporium will be around?

Nobody knows for sure. It looks like LEGO is keeping the large sets in production much longer than they used to. The fact that there are five active modular buildings right now leads me to believe the company is pretty actively trying to quell the eBay / aftermarket.

It's officially a "retired" set.

I spoke with LEGO employees at two different stores, who said that the Cottage would return this season at full price and that the Post Office is gonzo.

When lego told me 4 months ago that grand emporium was permanently dead, they turned out to be wrong. I'm never trusting this shit again.

But if they are right this time I will seriously rage. It's not the oldest one, bakery is, goddammit.

Can't imagine ever keeping the bags, you guys DO mean those plastic bags the bricks come in right? I rip those open anyway so they're toast as soon as i open them up, then i throw em away. The boxes i do keep but i have learned to flatten them as that will save on storing space considerably!

ghostmind

When lego told me 4 months ago that grand emporium was permanently dead, they turned out to be wrong. I'm never trusting this shit again.

But if they are right this time I will seriously rage. It's not the oldest one, bakery is, goddammit.

Bakery retired in December, I believe.

ghostmind

I forgot about the
train
! So you definitely know where I am coming from on this.

Speaking of which, do they have any of that set left in LEGO Paradise (aka Lasting Toys)?

You mean those annoying crinkly plastic bags that make terrible sounds when you disturb them?

Throw them out!

I'm similar to you in the collecting habit - I don't throw the boxes out - in fact I put dismantled sets back in the boxes, and I'll re-bag each "number" in one zip-loc.

Nobody knows for sure. It looks like LEGO is keeping the large sets in production much longer than they used to. The fact that there are five active modular buildings right now leads me to believe the company is pretty actively trying to quell the eBay / aftermarket.

Right on, thanks. Maybe that will be my double VIP point purchase...

ruxtpin

Banned
And it's the only one i bought because i figured they wouldn't kill off more than one a year :(

Same here. And if you look on the S@H the Post Office doesn't say retired, just out of stock. meh. OH well...

I just bit the big bullet and ordered a Green Grocer! The guy sent me some pics. Seals on part of the box are broken and there's some minor scuffing, but all the parts are still sealed in the bags.

ghostmind

I just bit the big bullet and ordered a Green Grocer! The guy sent me some pics. Seals on part of the box are broken and there's some minor scuffing, but all the bags and parts are still sealed in the bags.

Congrats! I'm still working on the first floor, and this set has already become one of my favorite modulars.

Same here. And if you look on the S@H the Post Office doesn't say retired, just out of stock. meh. OH well...

I just bit the big bullet and ordered a Green Grocer! The guy sent me some pics. Seals on part of the box are broken and there's some minor scuffing, but all the parts are still sealed in the bags.

So jealous, i can't justify getting one though :( they go for around 500 bucks at least on BL too rich for my blood, and i'm NOT going to make the mistake to check out videos and what not to look at it even more in detail or else i would get tempted...

Dayum. Definitely the difference between "high-quality decorative item" and "very nice but still a toy"
I want both now :(
Must... not... start.... star wars collection.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So in what is quite possibly the lowest cost purchase in this thread I picked up that Kraang Lab Escape TMNT set today. It's actually not too bad. There's not a lot to it, but the UFO is quite fun and has some interesting parts (the top half rotates, the lid flips up, there are 1x1 circular tile dials inside - I got three of those which would probably come in pretty useful for MOC work), the cage has a little lever thing that flips up and breaks it open like he's breaking out of it, and you have Michelangelo wielding nunchuks and eating pizza. The Kraang is pretty nice too. All in all it'll make a nice little addition to my desk at work. Some crappy photos (apparently my kitchen is the only place that doesn't make everything look orange):

poaE9BI.jpg

GR2KHYV.jpg

KkoNzkn.jpg

heEEslL.jpg

Probably won't pick up any of the other TMNT sets as I'd rather save up for that amazing X-Wing right now after looking at that. Wow. I'm sure I can get away with just one set like that in the house...

Probably won't pick up any of the other TMNT sets as I'd rather save up for that amazing X-Wing right now after looking at that. Wow. I'm sure I can get away with just one set like that in the house...

Brah, it's not going to be as sexy as the Imperial Shuttle. Just sayin'.

10212-bk-cover.jpg

If you are going to post that sexy set, at least get it in the sexiest pose:

I had people over on Friday night and after a few beers I caught myself just staring at my Shuttle in the distance, thinking about how good it looks in the corner of my basement.

And yes, I display it in spread-eagle mode.

I had people over on Friday night and after a few beers I caught myself just staring at my Shuttle in the distance, thinking about how good it looks in the corner of my basement.

It is a sexy, sexy set. I love how it confuses people when they first see it, because they dont know it is made of LEGO until they start to inspect it very closely.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It is a sexy, sexy set. I love how it confuses people when they first see it, because they dont know it is made of LEGO until they start to inspect it very closely.
Looking at those pictures I can't see any studs on show, which is probably why it looks so unlike LEGO. Don't LEGO have a policy about not having sets without visible studs or something? I seem to remember a Cuusoo project getting rejected for that reason or something similar. I might be wrong though. And yes that shuttle is sexy. I love all the Star Wars stuff but I can't afford to go down that rabbit hole, haha. So it'll have to be the X-Wing. Or Millennium Falcon. One day, one day...

Speaking of which, do they have any of that set left in LEGO Paradise (aka Lasting Toys)?

They don't have the Holiday Train, no.

I bought the Toy Shop from them in October, and mentioned how pleased I was that they had all the sets in the Christmas series. The clerk gently let me know that actually....and showed me a picture of the damn train.

They no longer have the Toy Shop (but may get some in this summer), and still have some bakeries.

You have convinced me. Throwing out those crinkly bags today.

Top Bottom