• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Out of curiosity, how long do I have time to buy the new UCS X-Wing? I missed out to buy the first UCS X-Wing back then, so I am not allowed to not get this one. But I won't have money for it till the end of this year. Do I have to panic?

Out of curiosity, how long do I have time to buy the new UCS X-Wing? I missed out to buy the first UCS X-Wing back then, so I am not allowed to not get this one. But I won't have money for it till the end of this year. Do I have to panic?

No. The giant star wars sets have stayed in print multiple years lately.

The set releases later this year. (May first week I believe?). I would guess you have at least 2 years after that.

And considering the increase in popularity of Lego recently and the iconic nature of the ship/franchise, possibly much longer than 2 years.

Philia

My husband surprised me with the VW Camper today! <3 I'm so glad we got that one (Amazon) since I've wanted it since I've saw it. Now we can focus on the Palace Cinema for later. :D

KingGondo

Banned
Almost done with Palace Cinema. It's been a blast.

All I have left is the marquee, the cherry on top of a fun build.

My local LEGO Store just got the Sopwith Camel back in too. Must... resist...

I think I can hold off until double VIP points in late March.

lingiii

Banned
The Imperial Shuttle is going out of production right? I want one bad, but can't really justify it at the moment :/

yo, that shit is hot tho. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the build for something so symmetrical, but the articulation really helps. One concern with it is it's precarious as all-fuck in the majestic spread-eagle pose on the stand. Even folded up in "landing" mode, I didn't really like the feet, so I removed them so it sits flat on top of my bookshelf.

but if you're interested at all, grab it now before it's a disaster of a price bump, or else go right down into your soul and kill that desire now.

The set releases later this year. (May first week I believe?). I would guess you have at least 2 years after that.

And considering the increase in popularity of Lego recently and the iconic nature of the ship/franchise, possibly much longer than 2 years.

Ideally they'll take the approach they seem to have taken with death star of "We won't upstage this one with a superior iteration, keep it in print forever." It's nice to dream.

mrkgoo

A local store has lego at buy one get one 50%. I told myself that if they had the rancor pit is get that and the tow truck creator, about the same price.

I went down and they has them!

But I chickened out at the last moment. Those sets are about nz$120 each (over US$90), so it's really hard to justify, seeing as I really just want the rancor pit because I have jabba's palace. The set looks mega-boring.

It looks like we pat least a 50% premium on lego compared to US just for being in NZ :(.

To console myself I bought two minifigs instead.

AWESOME squirrel CUUSOO project.

thumb640x360.jpg

Video of the squirrel being constructed.

yo, that shit is hot tho. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the build for something so symmetrical, but the articulation really helps. One concern with it is it's precarious as all-fuck in the majestic spread-eagle pose on the stand. Even folded up in "landing" mode, I didn't really like the feet, so I removed them so it sits flat on top of my bookshelf.

but if you're interested at all, grab it now before it's a disaster of a price bump, or else go right down into your soul and kill that desire now.

It's about $299 on amazon here (local currency converted) which seems pretty good.

If I did buy it as a fun project for me and the kid, and then choose to sell it on later, would it retain its value somewhat, even if the box is opened and the pieces are not individually packed?

It's about $299 on amazon here (local currency converted) which seems pretty good.

If I did buy it as a fun project for me and the kid, and then choose to sell it on later, would it retain its value somewhat?

UCS Star Wars sets retain good value. Well, the OT stuff usually does. And the set is damn sexy. And $299 for the Imperial Shuttle is not that huge of a markup form MSRP. Yet. It will only go up from there.

flyingpig

Neo Member
Seriously, if you want the shuttle, just buy it now. If you change your mind you'll be able to resell by Christmas for a net zero after ebay/amazon fees.

Seriously, if you want the shuttle, just buy it now. If you change your mind you'll be able to resell by Christmas for a net zero after ebay/amazon fees.

Been warning you all about it for the last few months. ;)

Seriously, if you are even on the fence about it, get it NOW. It will only hurt more later.

ghostmind

Anyone have 9525 Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter?

Decent build? Looks like it'll be nice on display. And those minifigs.

It's not the prettiest ship, but it is unique with its dual axis rotation (which isn't just loose, which is nice), and of course you get the unique Pre Vizsla minifig.

When lego told me 4 months ago that grand emporium was permanently dead, they turned out to be wrong. I'm never trusting this shit again.

But if they are right this time I will seriously rage. It's not the oldest one, bakery is, goddammit.

I never heard it for the Grand Emporium, but I swear Fire Brigade was OOP, but according to LEGO online (US) it's still available. This may have been before they started the retiring soon notices. According to LEGO.com Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium are only Hard to Find and not retiring soon. I thought I would have a few months once Diagon's Alley was discountinued, but that sucker was gone quickly.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4716

Good. I am sure they like the increased sales from people stockpiling sets though.

Agreed. The plastic bubble is growing bigger and bigger. Some sets will not have a good return, but others like Diagon's Alley will have good gains IMO as I don't see them ever producing Harry Potter sets like those again except maybe 10 year anniversary or something.

Are those trans pieces stickers or printed? Those are slick.

I never heard it for the Grand Emporium, but I swear Fire Brigade was OOP, but according to LEGO online (US) it's still available. This may have been before they started the retiring soon notices. According to LEGO.com Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium are only Hard to Find and not retiring soon. I thought I would have a few months once Diagon's Alley was discountinued, but that sucker was gone quickly.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=4716

Fire Brigade has been missing from the catalogs for some time. I am shocked it is still around. But I am also happy it is still around, as it allows more people to get it.

It's not the prettiest ship, but it is unique with its dual axis rotation (which isn't just loose, which is nice), and of course you get the unique Pre Vizsla minifig.

Ha, pretty much answered the question I had. Thanks. Just wasn't sure how sturdy it would be, or how flimsy it was when you were cycling it around.

Pre Vizsla + Darksaber is a wicked minifig too.

I never heard it for the Grand Emporium,

I emailed lego.com customer service when it went out of stock last fall, asking, "Is this temporary or a retirement?" The rep said it was retired. A week or two later they posted the "shipping on xxxxx" So, until I see some blatant "retiring soon" on the website I ain't believing shit.

Fire Brigade has been missing from the catalogs for some time. I am shocked it is still around. But I am also happy it is still around, as it allows more people to get it.

I have a feeling Fire Brigade has also been selling a lot to the City fans and kids wanting firemen sets. It's a set parents can build together with their kids.

I emailed lego.com customer service when it went out of stock last fall, asking, "Is this temporary or a retirement?" The rep said it was retired. A week or two later they posted the "shipping on xxxxx" So, until I see some blatant "retiring soon" on the website I ain't believing shit.

Customer service has always been great to me, but it seems when coming to the retirement plans for a set there's some communication gap. Looks like similar thing happened with Minecraft set coming from LEGO Direct Consumer Services.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?id=3542

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Huge photo wall incoming.

I have completed 1 floor/instruction booklet of Palace Cinema. My wife was very excited about it but has only helped by building the limo. I did the whole first floor myself. She had to go back to work Monday and I had the day off so I decided to start on the Cafe Corner I had been parting together. Check it out below.

Forgot to take any pictures until I got to this point.
8488141306_eb3f840438_c.jpg

8488142186_35c0b013ef_c.jpg

The awning and Sign are badass to build.
8488143212_6f97880e44_c.jpg

With the first floor complete and the interior completely bare. This will not do at all....
8487052707_645b918106_c.jpg

8487052029_a450a45a85_c.jpg

So I made my own interior. Its not completely finished at this point but its a good start I think.
8487053519_a28cedf095_c.jpg

8487054329_a8a6968fa6_c.jpg

And this is where I had to stop. I realized I didn't order 3 brown pieces and I am stuck at this point.
8488147336_14cd4f8d13_c.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just a quick heads up! Winter Village Cottage is reduced from £90 to £63 over on Lego S@H UK.

No interest in it myself but just in case anyone else had their eye on it. It's not often we get sales.

the frack, now I have to rush to the local lego store, I thought it was safe till at least the fire brigade was gone :O
ps you mean the pet shop right?!

its still available at lego.de ?!

I think he did mean the green grocer. Someone on bricksetforum listed how long each modular was available.

Market Street #10190 24 Oct 07 - 14 Apr 09 = 538 days
Cafe Corner #10182 24 Oct 07 - 06 Dec 09 = 774 days
Green Grocer #10185 05 Mar 08 - 08 Nov 10 = 613 days
Fire Brigade #10197 12 Sep 09 - now = 1250 days and climbing
Grand Emporium #10211 03 Mar 10 - now = 1078 days and climbing
Pet Shop #10218 12 May 11 - now = 643 days and climbing
Town Hall #10224 03 Mar 12 - now = 347 days and climbing
Palace Cinema #10232 14 Feb 13 - now = -1 days and climbing

Top Bottom