• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

nny

The Toys R Us here told me they would be getting the Winter Post Office (10222) this week; went there and...they'll "probably arrive next week". Bah, I want to conclude my Winter/Holiday display.

R-User!

Montreal :(

I spend 100$ on S2 :(
Some minifigs are like 4$ and then the spartan is like 25$ WTF! same happened with S1 I got a few for 5$ and then the zombie was like 25$, the robot 20$ and the clown like 15$ I don't understand the minifigures market!

Seller: "What? This Minifigure is popular?! I'm marking this bad boy up!

Seller hive mind domino effect = Price rises...

I would be up for this.

I was just kidding about the chicken man, too (sort of), I think he's as hilariously absurd as the bunny guy, and I only have one of him.

I'm in NL and want to make collecting minifigs as cheap as possible!

sounds good, I think 3 people is the magic number, since there are 3 "guaranteed"? sets in each box + a couple of repeats.

When series 9 hits we can split the costs and shipping between 3, one of orders the box and then ships the sets to the other 2 plus one or 2 extra minifigure depending of how many extra they are, the only thing is whoever receives the box will have to open the bags to check, at least a little to peek inside, I don't trust the "feel the bag" technic.

I posted it a page back.... No one commented....

yes saw it, very touching

Oh, you sexy thing.

A86xF0aCQAIOCUp.jpg

The body was the best part. So unique and awesome as it comes together. The head was a definite step down from the body, but I honestly cannot think of any other way they could have pulled it off other then covering it with tiles to cover the studs.

The eye is actually adjustable on the head though. That was a pleasant surprise. Sorry for the short review, but Queen Anne is calling.

Short version of R2-D2: BUY IT! NOW!
Dammit, you're doing it again, Phonciple! When R2 first came out, I had absolutely zero intention of buying him. You guys are luring me back to the dark side! "It is useless to resist..." Enjoy the Queen Anne.

WOW. That was incredible! My daughter's going to love watching that. And we'll have to watch their other videos as well. Thanks for posting that!

Fucking stickers :(

I also really suck at applying them.
It's not so much the stickers themselves, it's how difficult it is for my sausage fingers to properly apply them. It's way too hard to get them on perfectly straight.

R-User!

sounds good, I think 3 people is the magic number, since there are 3 "guaranteed"? sets in each box + a couple of repeats.

When series 9 hits we can split the costs and shipping between 3, one of orders the box and then ships the sets to the other 2 plus one or 2 extra minifigure depending of how many extra they are, the only thing is whoever receives the box will have to open the bags to check, at least a little to peek inside, I don't trust the "feel the bag" technic.

yes saw it, very touching

Each Minifigure in each set is different from the other 15.
That means there is one or more unique elements associated with each Minifigure.

In you pull up Legos website they have Bios for each Minifigure! You can see the details on these large pictures better than on the package insert figure checklist.

So you have a:
Head
Torso
Feet
and Display stand.

Those are easy to identify by feel: they're iconic in their unique shape.

What's left is process of elimination: guns, female pyramid shape legs (EASY to identify that character), items, hair, helmets, torso add-ons... It's really not THAT hard to identify by feel.

And if you think you know what it is but aren't 100% sure: use a flash light in a dark room and you can see the outline of the specialty piece! :)

Kryten

Advent Calendar day! My boys are excited and it's a great change from the more traditional candy/chocolate version that we've had previously.

I've just realised that I could run 25 days of consecutive spoilers, my timezone being ahead of pretty much everyone else in this thread :)

ghostmind

Advent Calendar day! My boys are excited and it's a great change from the more traditional candy/chocolate version that we've had previously.

I've just realised that I could run 25 days of consecutive spoilers, my timezone being ahead of pretty much everyone else in this thread :)

You make a good point.

Hey LEGO-GAF, let's agree to put spoiler tags on the daily Advent Calendars reveals, in respect to our brothers and sisters around the globe.

You make a good point.

Hey LEGO-GAF, let's agree to put spoiler tags on the daily Advent Calendars reveals, in respect to our brothers and sisters around the globe.

This is a great idea. Thanks Ghostmind.

I just won an auction for one of last year's Christmas bonuses. I need to stop spending money on Christmas Lego.

Mind sharing your secrets with me :p

Lasting Toys.

They still have copies of the Winter Toy Shop for sale (although the price has gone from $79 to $109 in the last two months) and regularly stock hard to find things like electrified train tracks and polybags from around the world.

They are incredibly friendly and make some good recommendations regarding the availability of certain sets. Today for example, they mentioned that all three prior Winter Village sets are now discontinued...that includes the Post Office. They think they'll have stock of the Bakery and Post Office through Christmas though.

lingiii

Banned
I have gotten THIS close to just tearing into the full advent calendar every day. now I'm a grown-up big boy with a home of my own and nobody to judge me for cheating, shit's hard to resist.

R-User!

I have gotten THIS close to just tearing into the full advent calendar every day. now I'm a grown-up big boy with a home of my own and nobody to judge me for cheating, shit's hard to resist.

Just remember: that's the whole point of the Calendar! To give your self a present every day! :)

R-User!

Lasting Toys.

They still have copies of the Winter Toy Shop for sale (although the price has gone from $79 to $109 in the last two months) and regularly stock hard to find things like electrified train tracks and polybags from around the world.

They are incredibly friendly and make some good recommendations regarding the availability of certain sets. Today for example, they mentioned that all three prior Winter Village sets are now discontinued...that includes the Post Office. They think they'll have stock of the Bakery and Post Office through Christmas though.

I tried checking their website and I may not be hunting in the right place... If you have the time and don't mind, could you link me to the product page for the Winter Toy Shop? That would be amazing to find for 109$!! Even if te shipping from Canada to US is 40 bucks, it's still cheaper than what I've seen on amazon!

I tried checking their website and I may not be hunting in the right place... If you have the time and don't mind, could you link me to the product page for the Winter Toy Shop? That would be amazing to find for 109$!! Even if te shipping from Canada to US is 40 bucks, it's still cheaper than what I've seen on amazon!

Their online store unfortunately runs through Bricklink and features a fraction of what they sell in the brick & mortar shop.

I have no idea if they do online/telephone sales but you could always call them and ask: (905) 569-6047.

Repeated copious appreciation to PeteZaTheHutt for telling me about them.

I will say that for exclusive sets they are a bit pricey. I just bought one of 2011's Winter Bonus sets (the boy and the tree) on eBay for $17, and Lasting Toys has it for $30.

R-User!

I'm seriously thinking about picking up the Unexpected Journey set after work tonight. Hmmm.

If you have a target card you can save 5% by buying it online and using your card to purchase it. That's $3.50 off. Cheaper than anywhere else right now that I know of for a brand new hard to find in store set! ( No Targets, Walmarts, or ToysRus's near me have any The Hobbit sets out yet...)

bodine1231

Picked up my first minifigure packs today at lunch. Damn these look so much better than the figures I've gotten in the modular and SW sets. I can see why these are so addictive. Little on the pricey side though.

R-User!

Picked up my first minifigure packs today at lunch. Damn these look so much better than the figures I've gotten in the modular and SW sets. I can see why these are so addictive. Little on the pricey side though.

What series did you pick from? What characters did you get?

bodine1231

What series did you pick from? What characters did you get?

They put out a fresh box of series 8. I got Santa and a pirate. I tried feeling the packs but I dont know what to look for. I may go back when I have to get groceries and pick a few more packs up.

They put out a fresh box of series 8. I got Santa and a pirate. I tried feeling the packs but I dont know what to look for. I may go back when I have to get groceries and pick a few more packs up.

Save yourself from the CMF, it's a rabbit hole, it looks so harmless cheap and fun, next thing you know, you are paying 25$ for discontinued mini figures from previous series

R-User!

Take that character checklist insert with you as as a reference so that you can identify the specialty parts; if your going to feel the bags at the store.

Alternatively you could look at then checklist, decide exactly which characters you would want if you could know what was in the bag (let's say 5 figures) and buy 5 packs to take home to feel/check in the privacy of your own home instead of looking like a crazed collector who has "no life" in a public place like a Target toy isle for example... <_< >_> :)

Then at home you can use a very bright flashlight, or just perfect the feeling method further.

I like to slide all the contents in a minibag to one side of the bag, and move the easily identifiable pieces to the other; thereby leaving only the specialty parts to be felt; making the process of identification a LOT easier!

bedlamite

y6Jt1.jpg

Unimog builders, I require your assistance. As you can see, I've built the lower half of this monster and I wonder if I've fucked up somewhere...when it's pushed forward the steering skews to the left, uhhh that can't be right, can it? When I pick it up and rotate the front two wheels the rear wheels spin in an opposite fashion. Is everything OK and should I just keep building or have I buggered something up?

R-User!

Save yourself from the CMF, it's a rabbit hole, it looks so harmless cheap and fun, next thing you know, you are paying 25$ for discontinued mini figures from previous series

I agree to a degree...

If you start late like I did series 7 and beyond then just ignore and forget about the ones that existed before. That's how I handle it. Then if I get lucky and run into a series earlier than 7 I just buy them all and feel them out at home for the ones that I want, and return the rest.

I do not want and can not afford to collect all characters so I get the ones I like and can still find in the bag at $3 or less.

DJ_Lae

There was a group of three of us once at a Toys R Us all feeling out bags. Luckily there wasn't much crossover with who wanted what, so we were able to pass around minifigs.

Over that 10-15 minutes I got pretty good at identifying those series 7s, with some of them being harder than others (the guitar chick was tricky as that guitar liked to tuck up against other pieces).

Every other time I've gone it's just been me and I feel somewhat self-conscious standing there in front of boxes of Lego minifigs, massaging bag after bag.

I'll have to do it again, wouldn't mind a Santa.

R-User!

There was a group of three of us once at a Toys R Us all feeling out bags. Luckily there wasn't much crossover with who wanted what, so we were able to pass around minifigs.

Over that 10-15 minutes I got pretty good at identifying those series 7s, with some of them being harder than others (the guitar chick was tricky as that guitar liked to tuck up against other pieces).

Every other time I've gone it's just been me and I feel somewhat self-conscious standing there in front of boxes of Lego minifigs, massaging bag after bag.

I'll have to do it again, wouldn't mind a Santa.

Buy the box and return them when your done finding the ones you want!

bodine1231

Take that character checklist insert with you as as a reference so that you can identify the specialty parts; if your going to feel the bags at the store.

Alternatively you could look at then checklist, decide exactly which characters you would want if you could know what was in the bag (let's say 5 figures) and buy 5 packs to take home to feel/check in the privacy of your own home instead of looking like a crazed collector who has "no life" in a public place like a Target toy isle for example... <_< >_> :)

Then at home you can use a very bright flashlight, or just perfect the feeling method further.

I like to slide all the contents in a minibag to one side of the bag, and move the easily identifiable pieces to the other; thereby leaving only the specialty parts to be felt; making the process of identification a LOT easier!

I felt like a moron standing there feeling up packs at Walmart. I think I might pick up 3 or 4 packs every time I go shopping until I get them all. However I will take your advice and bring them home and cop a feel before opening them up to avoid doubles.

Rootbeer

Banned
I felt like a moron standing there feeling up packs at Walmart. I think I might pick up 3 or 4 packs every time I go shopping until I get them all. However I will take your advice and bring them home and cop a feel before opening them up to avoid doubles.
I understand the feeling, as an adult I struggle with this :p If you have a LEGO store around go there, they are used to having people do this, hell they probably expect it. You won't feel weird there. Another thing you can do is go in the morning when it's pretty much dead in the store. Over time I've just gotten better at not giving a shit what people think because the truth is they do not care, it's all you.

R-User!

I understand the feeling, as an adult I struggle with this :p If you have a LEGO store around go there, they are used to having people do this, hell they probably expect it. You won't feel weird there.

This is true!

Or if you don't have a LEGO store near you, do what I said: if you have even an extra 30-50 bucks that you can part with temporarily for a few days: just buy 10-15 bags, take them home and have an "feel" good party (I know that doesn't sound right) and select the ones that you want!

tilting_msh

Neo Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like a fool massaging minifig bags in stores. Today I was doing it, desperate to find the last 3 I need to complete series 8, and I got a funny look from somebody who works there. I panicked, just grabbed 3, paid for them, and got 3 doubles. :-(

I didn't know about the flashlight technique though - I might try buying a bunch, taking them home and using a flashlight, then returning the ones I don't need. Thnx for the tip guys.

R-User!

I wish we had a Lego store in ct. :(

I read somewhere today that a new Lego store is opening in the state of Missouri I believe; and that reminds me of a conversation I had with a Lego store manager about numbers of stores (he's worked for Lego for over 5 years) and he said they currently have 75 or about 75 stores and I inquired about the growth of the company since he started and he said that there were something like 25-40 stores 5 years ago. That's like double the growth in 5 years; so I asked him about how many stores they were looking to open in the future and he said they were looking to cap out around 150!!!

IF (big if) they open that many more in even the next 5 years, chances are you'll get one in ct! (Connecticut?)

R-User!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like a fool massaging minifig bags in stores. Today I was doing it, desperate to find the last 3 I need to complete series 8, and I got a funny look from somebody who works there. I panicked, just grabbed 3, paid for them, and got 3 doubles. :-(

I didn't know about the flashlight technique though - I might try buying a bunch, taking them home and using a flashlight, then returning the ones I don't need. Thnx for the tip guys.

THEY'RE COMIN' OUTTA THE WOODWORKS!!

I read somewhere today that a new Lego store is opening in the state of Missouri I believe; and that reminds me of a conversation I had with a Lego store manager about numbers of stores (he's worked for Lego for over 5 years) and he said they currently have 75 or about 75 stores and I inquired about the growth of the company since he started and he said that there were something like 25-40 stores 5 years ago. That's like double the growth in 5 years; so I asked him about how many stores they were looking to open in the future and he said they were looking to cap out around 150!!!

IF (big if) they open that many more in even the next 5 years, chances are you'll get one in ct! (Connecticut?)
Lets hope. Their headquarters are here, so why no store?

ghostmind

F2iqu.jpg

Today's pickups. They were selling a LOT of Galaxy Squad, maybe because it was the first day of availability. Also saw the new City sets, but am waiting for a promo/sale.

tenchir

y6Jt1.jpg

Unimog builders, I require your assistance. As you can see, I've built the lower half of this monster and I wonder if I've fucked up somewhere...when it's pushed forward the steering skews to the left, uhhh that can't be right, can it? When I pick it up and rotate the front two wheels the rear wheels spin in an opposite fashion. Is everything OK and should I just keep building or have I buggered something up?

Don't worry about it, it's the same with mine. If you have a couple of PF XL-motors, IR receiver, and a remote control, you can motorized the Unimog. It's a fairly simple to mod it.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57543&st=150

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So the LEGO Store doesn't have Vermin Vaporizer or Museum Break-In yet? Or are they just advertising them for that month?

ghostmind

So the LEGO Store doesn't have Vermin Vaporizer or Museum Break-In yet? Or are they just advertising them for that month?

They have all the Galaxy Squad sets, but not the Museum Break-In. All they are saying is that if you order in January, all of those sets will be available.

Top Bottom