• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Picked this beauty up tonight

SmXrS.jpg

The best Middle-Earth set so far. Congrats!

Chuck

Still without luck
So we're getting the ninja turtles sets in on the 10th if all goes according to plan.

And if things go like they usually do, Toys R Us will start selling them the week prior forcing us to sell them the week get them in instead of January 1st. Just sayin'!

ghostmind

So we're getting the ninja turtles sets in on the 10th if all goes according to plan.

And if things go like they usually do, Toys R Us will start selling them the week prior forcing us to sell them the week get them in instead of January 1st. Just sayin'!

Any word on Star Wars? We aren't going to have to wait until the end of February again, are we?

Chuck

Still without luck
Any word on Star Wars? We aren't going to have to wait until the end of February again, are we?

No, I don't think well be getting those in until January. Im pretty sure it'll be late January when they go on sale, but no official date yet.

bodine1231

You've got to be fucking kidding me... The bats I dont mind because they fit with the haunted house. But three Santa's? I got the worst luck.

20121130_221134.jpg

R-User!

You've got to be fucking kidding me... The bats I dont mind because they fit with the haunted house. But three Santa's? I got the worst luck.

20121130_221134.jpg

Welcome to why I search the bags! :/

Edit: I will say this though: feeling out Santa's sac is not an easy thing to do!
*Badoomtish!*

R-User!

Alucard: WHAT!?

Seriously, use a flashlight and open one pack for the checklist and or use Legos Minifigure profile pics. Remember: pretty much each figure has a unique shaped item/items. Santa is tricky sifting through hat (rounded) bag (rounded) head (rounded)....

But his beard is the giveaway! It has that ring that goes around the neck stem of the torso that you can pinch and feel the small circle shape: like a mini flat donut/discus (sp?).

Best of luck feeling out next time, but if you know what the unique piece is, the flashlight technique is a little tedious too, but very accurate when you finally get the unique piece in the right position so that you can see the distinct outline of the object.

Series 8
1 Evil Robot: helmet with prongs
2 Gladiator: helmet and sword combo
3 Pretzel man: ...pretzel
these pretzels... Are makin' me thursty!
4 Cowgirl: Hat or Lasso
5 Football Player: Trophy
6 Diver: Harpoon or Helmet (round front)
7 Skiing Woman: ugh... ski's
8 Businessman: Easy combination of square newspaper AND rectangle briefcase with handle
9 Fairy: Tricky; the wand looks to be the best identifier for her
10 Santa: round ring of beard item
11 Bat: Wing arms attached to torso
12 DJ: Square record plate and round record
13 Red Cheerleader: Two identically bumpy pom-poms
14 Thespian: TWO HEADS!? too easy
15 Pirate: Oblong smooth hat unlike the gladiators ridge across the middle, sword with hand guard, torso with hook. I'd probably have some difficulty with this one and just use the flashlight looking for the hook on his hand
16 Alien queen!!! Easiest of the bunch: Angular large sold block of plastic; you can't misidentify this Minifigure.

Minifigure Identification 101 dismissed for today!

bodine1231

Alucard: WHAT!?

I see how that looks now after your edit,lol!

What the hell is wrong with me. I have the Haunted House,Deathstar,Imperial Shuttle,Star Destroyer and Fire Brigade sitting here all unbuilt and I almost bought R2 at Amazon (on sale ). Thankfully it sold out right when I went to checkout,maybe that's a sign. If I had a Lego store near me I'd be broke,I'd probably buy a B-wing on impulse right now.

Chorazin

So, saw this thread and figured you guys would wanna know that Target (well, mine at least, YMMV) is taping the Chase McCain minifig to the preorder cards for LEGO City Undercover. These cards only cost a buck, and they don't collect any personal info from you, so if you didn't want the game don't go pick it up, and you got a $1 rare-ish minifig!

Hope this isn't super old info, I read most of the thread but didn't see anything about it.

Rootbeer

Banned
So, saw this thread and figured you guys would wanna know that Target (well, mine at least, YMMV) is taping the Chase McCain minifig to the preorder cards for LEGO City Undercover. These cards only cost a buck, and they don't collect any personal info from you, so if you didn't want the game don't go pick it up, and you got a $1 rare-ish minifig!

Hope this isn't super old info, I read most of the thread but didn't see anything about it.

If you do chose to buy the game, bring the card that comes with the minifig and you get a free $5 gift card with the purchase. And don't forget to use your Target debit/credit card for 5% off... it's not a bad deal, but not terribly good either. At least the minifig is cheap.

10th of December... why does everything have to hit right in a row... man... some tough choices ahead.

R-User!

Some series 8 tips to identify:

Series 8
1 Evil Robot: helmet with prongs
2 Gladiator: helmet and sword combo
3 Pretzel man: ...pretzel
these pretzels... Are makin' me thursty!
4 Cowgirl: Hat or Lasso
5 Football Player: Trophy
6 Diver: Harpoon or Helmet (round front)
7 Skiing Woman: ugh... ski's
8 Businessman: Easy combination of square newspaper AND rectangle briefcase with handle
9 Fairy: Tricky; the wand looks to be the best identifier for her
10 Santa: round ring of beard item
11 Bat: Wing arms attached to torso
12 DJ: Square record plate and round record
13 Red Cheerleader: Two identically bumpy pom-poms
14 Thespian: TWO HEADS!? too easy
15 Pirate: Oblong smooth hat unlike the gladiators ridge across the middle, sword with hand guard, torso with hook. I'd probably have some difficulty with this one and just use the flashlight looking for the hook on his hand
16 Alien queen!!! Easiest of the bunch: Angular large sold block of plastic; you can't misidentify this Minifigure.

Minifigure Identification 101 dismissed for today!

Chorazin

If you do chose to buy the game, bring the card that comes with the minifig and you get a free $5 gift card with the purchase. And don't forget to use your Target debit/credit card for 5% off... it's not a bad deal, but not terribly good either. At least the minifig is cheap.

10th of December... why does everything have to hit right in a row... man... some tough choices ahead.

Oh I am definitely buying the game, my GF loves the Lego video games to death and I think this one looks really good too. I've built a few kits over the past few years, but no big stuff.

Ponn

Banned
I'm just not feeling those hobbit sets at all. Maybe Bag End. I'm deciding which ones to throw on my Christmas list for friends and families. It's between Bag End, Mirkwood Spiders (it has a Legolas figure for my Helms Deep set and I like the spiders and trees, they would go good with my Shelob), Weathertop (for the Nazgul) or Attack of the Wargs.

The Hobbit sets just seem like a price hike for less pieces from the first wave of LoTR sets. I'm also just not a fan of the same boring scenery. More rocks and grey, yay. At least Bag End is, um. awfully green. I'm hoping for better LoTR second wave sets and can't wait for the details on them.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm waiting on discounts for most of the Hobbit stuff. Should be able to get them 25% - 30% percent off with some patience. I already see the Goblin King set for 12% off on amazon.

It's insulting to see sets like Riddles for the Ring selling for $12.99 at TRU... that set has barely anything in it and should be 9.99. I fucking hate you, TRU.

Fxp

Guys, what do you think about 9394 Jet Plane? Usually I don't buy Technic sets but with this one you get two slick looking models for cheap.

2994327134f8e8fd2519cb.jpg

Not as good as sonic boom or fastt flyers creator sets.

While I don't have Sonic Boom (yet) I don't think they compete either. I broke my plane down for parts and red is my favourite colour so maybe I am biased....

Anywho, this gave me a chuckle as it is quite accurate. Add a moleskin notepad with various ideas and you're bang on.

A brilliant designer, your computer is cluttered with pictures of your past creations, and your brain is cluttered with ideas of your future creations!
Whether you've created a vignette filled with nice part usages, or a diorama that is a seriously huge investment of parts, you can amaze people with your imagination!

What is the rest of LEGO Gaf?

A brilliant designer, your computer is cluttered with pictures of your past creations, and your brain is cluttered with ideas of your future creations!
Whether you've created a vignette filled with nice part usages, or a diorama that is a seriously huge investment of parts, you can amaze people with your imagination!

What is the rest of LEGO Gaf?

not very accurate, I wouldn't sell or trade my LEGO :p

Rootbeer

Banned
playing through LEGO Lord of the Rings on Steam today (with Steam cloud and achievements, woo!), they've improved so much over the last few LEGO games... I'm more excited than ever for LEGO City Undercover.

ghostmind

You know when and where to look for the latest set! Once you have your hands on it, you will make sure to alert your fellow fans whether they should pick it up or not.
Your opinion benefits the Traders, Customizers and Purist MOCers in the LEGO community!

Reviewer_Widget.jpg

This test knows me well.

ghostmind

via Brickset:

FREE Exclusive LEGO Friends Set (30101) with any LEGO Friends purchase, valid Dec. 1st – 11th.
FREE Gandalf the Grey minifigure (30213) with the purchase of 3920 The Hobbit Game. Valid Dec. 9th – 31st.
FREE Shipping on all orders of $99 or more. Valid Dec. 1st – 18th.

OK I am going to Chapters now to purchase 9 bags of series 7, I am missing 9 from that collection so I am going to attempt to "feel the bag" in public and try to to get only the 9 minifigures I am missing.

I am missing the Space marine, tennis player, hippie, viking girl, medieval warrior, rock girl and little red hood.

wish me luck!

ghostmind

OK I am going to Chapters now to purchase 9 bags of series 7, I am missing 9 from that collection so I am going to attempt to "feel the bag" in public and try to to get only the 9 minifigures I am missing.

I am missing the Space marine, tennis player, hippie, viking girl, medieval warrior, rock girl and little red hood.

wish me luck!

Good luck with fondling those sacks!

bodine1231

I'm just not feeling those hobbit sets at all. Maybe Bag End. I'm deciding which ones to throw on my Christmas list for friends and families. It's between Bag End, Mirkwood Spiders (it has a Legolas figure for my Helms Deep set and I like the spiders and trees, they would go good with my Shelob), Weathertop (for the Nazgul) or Attack of the Wargs.

The Hobbit sets just seem like a price hike for less pieces from the first wave of LoTR sets. I'm also just not a fan of the same boring scenery. More rocks and grey, yay. At least Bag End is, um. awfully green. I'm hoping for better LoTR second wave sets and can't wait for the details on them.

Agreed,way to many playsets. Bag End is the only one I'll get when it goes on sale.

fJvesl.jpg

95€ :D

Reduced to 120€ and then 20% off.

What a piece of junk!

It may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts!

I can agree with this...and I do buy certain sets just to strip them for parts.

Speaking of which: I just finished Queen Anne's Revenge. AWESOME set. The first two thirds were pretty good as it came together, but adding the mast and sails is when it finally comes into its own. No real new techniques learned, but it is nice to have parts to make ships now.

And the great thing about the pirate ships, is that you can just go to a fabric store and get material to make your own sails!

Javaman

I bought the Star Wars lego advent calendar last year for my 9 year old son who is a lego freak and kept it in hiding until yesterday. Gave it to him a couple of days ago and he said "No thanks, I don't like Star Wars".

Feels bad man.
DUv59.jpg

ghostmind

I bought the Star Wars lego advent calendar last year for my 9 year old son who is a lego freak and kept it in hiding until yesterday. Gave it to him a couple of days ago and he said "No thanks, I don't like Star Wars".

Feels bad man.
DUv59.jpg

I know the feeling - my son doesn't care much for Star Wars either. I started him on it when he was younger with the Clone Wars cartoon. Fast-forward a couple years and we are about to watch an episode and he tells me "I don't really like Star Wars", and asks if we can watch Pokemon instead. As a person whose childhood revolved around the trilogy, I was dumbfounded.

This year he is opening the City calendar (a theme he likes, though he would rather it was Ninjago or Monster Fighters), while his dad opens the Star Wars one.

;)

bodine1231

Fire Brigade done! Highlights were definately the second floor microbuilds,brick and the belltower. While not as pretty as Grand Emporium it was more fun to build. Next up is Haunted House!

20121201_174627.jpg

20121201_174702.jpg

20121201_175053.jpg

Fire Brigade done! Highlights were definately the second floor microbuilds,brick and the belltower. While not as pretty as Grand Emporium it was more fun to build. Next up is Haunted House!

Agreed. Grand Emporium stands as the best looking modular in my book, but the second floor of Fire Brigade is still the best build out there. The micro scale builds and the front brick texture are just awesome. Then to cap it off you put pieces in upside down to decorate the windows.

"Dat second floor" strikes again. Now you get why I hype it so much, right?

Side shot of the sexy Astromech.

And my haul from Black Friday week:

The oh, so sexy Queen Anne's Revenge:

I would love it if LEGO treated ships like trains. A new collector's model every two years. I can't wait to MOC up one of my own. I got Queen Anne just for parts for making my own ships, but tempted to grab a second one just for more parts. And I still have some random mast parts and sails from the original Black Seas Barracuda.

ghostmind

QAR is a sexy boat indeed, and if you don't have the Black Pearl, I wouldn't bother with it now, because it will be a step down for you, compared to the QAR. You need to find a deal on the Imperial Flagship - you would love it.

gJEyv.jpg

Starting at about $320 on Bricklink right now.

Top Bottom