• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

qagc0l.jpg

TV Cat is eyeing your haul.

QAR is a sexy boat indeed, and if you don't have the Black Pearl, I wouldn't bother with it now, because it will be a step down for you, compared to the QAR. You need to find a deal on the Imperial Flagship - you would love it.

gJEyv.jpg

Starting at about $320 on Bricklink right now.

Oh, I want it. But not at that price. I am fine with having missed it.

R-User!

Adults build LEGO sober?

I never upload pics from my iPhone to the web to share with people (like here on GAF), but I want to show you guys a pic of my winter village setup: what's the most easy/least tedious method of getting pics off my phone and into this thread to share? I know that it can't be that hard cuz you guys do it all the time! :)

I never upload pics from my iPhone to the web to share with people (like here on GAF), but I want to show you guys a pic of my winter village setup: what's the most easy/least tedious method of getting pics off my phone and into this thread to share? I know that it can't be that hard cuz you guys do it all the time! :)

I use imgur for my photo uploads, but lately everyone on GAF seems to swear by min.us or whatever it is called.

I just plug in my iphone, import the photos into iPhoto, then just drag and drop the images I want into the internet browser window that has imgur loaded. They even have links with all the [/img] codes attached.

Ok. So for a returning Lego collector (been out since the late 70s early 80s) how does one go about getting upcoming sets. Can you preorder at the Lego store or something? Want to make sure I get Arkham Asylum as soon as its out.

Rootbeer

Banned
Ok. So for a returning Lego collector (been out since the late 70s early 80s) how does one go about getting upcoming sets. Can you preorder at the Lego store or something? Want to make sure I get Arkham Asylum as soon as its out.

I do not know if you can walk into a LEGO store and pre-order sets... that'd be cool though. Generally if you walk into a LEGO store the week a set is released I doubt you'll have too much trouble... I haven't heard of people having problems tracking down any new set.

For Arkham Asylum you'll definitely want to go through the LEGO store. LEGO store is generally a good place to get most sets because you accrue points if you are a VIP member (it's free). Also keeping an eye on this thread you can keep up-to-date on good deals from other sites. Amazon has discounts frequently (even bigger discounts for sets with 'damaged' boxes and the like, if you don't mind that sort of thing), TRU and other stores often have B1G1 50% off or similar deals

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Breakout-10937

Make sure to get a VIP membership before you order anything if you plan on buying more sets over time!

If you live in Europe you can sometimes get sets much much earlier but I don't know how they go about that :p I've seen people post pics of their built Star Wars ships many weeks before US release.
I think we're due for another pirate theme in the next couple years anyway...
I hope so... we are getting more PotC movies so it's covered. I'd like to see them go back to a more generic Pirate theme though.

Anyone interested in Western themed sets also keep in mind the upcoming Lone Ranger license.

bodine1231

Download the photobucket app. Go to photobucket.com and setup an account (its free). Take a pic,use the app to upload the photo and then copy/paste it here (use the IMG code). Easy

I do not know if you can walk into a LEGO store and pre-order sets... that'd be cool though. Generally if you walk into a LEGO store the week a set is released I doubt you'll have too much trouble... I haven't heard of people having problems tracking down any new set.

For Arkham Asylum you'll definitely want to go through the LEGO store. LEGO store is generally a good place to get most sets because you accrue points if you are a VIP member (it's free). Also keeping an eye on this thread you can keep up-to-date on good deals from other sites. Amazon has discounts frequently (even bigger discounts for sets with 'damaged' boxes and the like, if you don't mind that sort of thing), TRU and other stores often have B1G1 50% off or similar deals

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Breakout-10937

Make sure to get a VIP membership before you order anything if you plan on buying more sets over time!

If you live in Europe you can sometimes get sets much much earlier but I don't know how they go about that :p I've seen people post pics of their built Star Wars ships many weeks before US release.

I hope so... we are getting more PotC movies so it's covered. I'd like to see them go back to a more generic Pirate theme though.

Anyone interested in Western themed sets also keep in mind the upcoming Lone Ranger license.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many sets are LEGO Store exclusives for a period of time. Arkham Asylum is one of those, as is the Horizon Express. After a period of time, the sets will be available through other vendors like TRU or Amazon (although many will be on third party sellers for above MSRP immediately).

ghostmind

PotC 5 is supposed to start filming any time now, so hopefully that brings us more ships, including the oft-rumored Flying Dutchman.

Lone Ranger is one of my most-anticipated themes for this year, and I can't wait to get back to seeing Western sets.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Ok GAF, I need your help finding the Spider-Man Doc Ock ambush set for my son. I searched everywhere locally and no dice.

The T1 Camper Van? Love it! Hate the stickers though. Can't remember if Phoney Bone got it already.

Not yet. I want to get it eventually, but SSD is the next white whale. Of course, the VW van is probably not long for this world, so I should get it soon.

PotC 5 is supposed to start filming any time now, so hopefully that brings us more ships, including the oft-rumored Flying Dutchman.

Lone Ranger is one of my most-anticipated themes for this year, and I can't wait to get back to seeing Western sets.

Mother of god. That set could be amazing if done right.

And wasn't one of the LOTR sets for next year rumored to be a Corsair ship?

I dont care how lame that set looks. The mini figures in it are awesome. Spidey, JJ Jameson, Nova, AND Doctor Doom!

Chuck

Still without luck
I should also say, don't be afraid to call your nearest Lego Store if you have trouble finding a set, even if it's faaaar away. You just have to pay the shipping fee. We shipped a Green Ninja clock to someone in San Francisco and we're in the LA area. Shipping is dependent on the price of the set.

Thankfully, no magnets in this one. Who thought it was a good idea for magnets? Except for train sets, I can't think of another better use for it.

EDIT: At least make it rare earth magnets.

That is why I think they need to do a redesign of the Star Destroyer UCS set. It is notoriously fragile, but looks amazing. Just redo it with some more modern techniques and make it more stable. We need a redesign on that more than we need a new UCS X Wing like is rumored. We just got a new, sexy, non UCS X-Wing this year. Yet another next year is overkill.

Fxp

My son finished building Black Pearl this morning. He built it by himself and he's only 4.5 years old *proud father moment*.
That's our first LEGO ship and I'm surprised how detailed it is, too bad I can't afford Imperial Flagship :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to build the winter village bakery today and put up the Christmas decorations (and the mini set that was free from lego). This will probably be the first set I break down after Christmas and store in its box for next year. All others that get broken down go into the main pool of pieces.

I was just tidying away my most recent LEGO purchases, the boxes of those that is.

these two large boxes have nothing in them except empty and flat lego boxes.... o_O

yes they are full to the brim

wetwired

So the lego group I'm apart of has been approved for LUGbulk. I'd never heard of it before so I had to look it up. As a group we can order bulk parts directly from lego for some unknown discount. There's a few catches though.

Apparently as a group we have to order a minimum of 2 grand worth of parts but only 80 lots total. So rather than me putting in my order we have to collate our order and the top 80 wins out. So if we had 10 members we'd have to order and fork out $200 each. Though the more people we have the less we'd have to pay each but the likelihood of getting the exact parts we each need goes down.

You also cannot sell parts ordered through LUGbulk under any circumstances. With penalties enforced if you're caught doing it.

I had grand plans for a big modular style ghost busters HQ building via this but I may have been foiled.

Looking on flicker at other groups orders they tend to get parts that are hard to find come by in bulk and useful for large scale displays. Things like leaves and plant parts, windows, train tracks etc.

So the lego group I'm apart of has been approved for LUGbulk. I'd never heard of it before so I had to look it up. As a group we can order bulk parts directly from lego for some unknown discount. There's a few catches though.

Apparently as a group we have to order a minimum of 2 grand worth of parts but only 80 lots total. So rather than me putting in my order we have to collate our order and the top 80 wins out. So if we had 10 members we'd have to order and fork out $200 each. Though the more people we have the less we'd have to pay each but the likelihood of getting the exact parts we each need goes down.

You also cannot sell parts ordered through LUGbulk under any circumstances. With penalties enforced if you're caught doing it.

I had grand plans for a big modular style ghost busters HQ building via this but I may have been foiled.

Looking on flicker at other groups orders they tend to get parts that are hard to find come by in bulk and useful for large scale displays. Things like leaves and plant parts, windows, train tracks etc.
that sounds rather disapointing...
80 lots is not a lot by any stretch of the imagination... and that for 2k sounds ridiculous...

ghostmind

My son finished building Black Pearl this morning. He built it by himself and he's only 4.5 years old *proud father moment*.
That's our first LEGO ship and I'm surprised how detailed it is, too bad I can't afford Imperial Flagship :(

He built the Pearl by himself at 4.5yrs? :eek:

Very impressive!

He'll be building modulars by 6!

Top Bottom