• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

Work in progress of my own big screen cinema. I have been working this thing out in my head for the better part of 8 months now, long before Palace Cinema was even leaked out.

The main thing was cramming as much seating as possible into the theater, but still keep things accessible. I have a few doors laid down with ideas of where the patrons will enter the theater. One shows a long hallway running along the side of the seats, while another shows it right at the front of the auditorium.

The first one allows a bit more realistic layout to the auditorium (less light getting in!), but less room for other details inside the building.
The second one would be less realistic (more light near the screen! NO!), but a lot more room for interior details.

I am still trying to figure out how to fit in a box office and concession stand, and possibly a bathroom. The end of one of the long walkways (behind the box office or the concessions) will most likely lead to a staircase to the second floor where I plan to have a projection booth and maybe a main office.

64 available seats. I have about 100 total, but would need to graduated off the 48x48 plate.

The brace to hold the screen in place. Some decorative lights for before showtime.

And finally to show just how big I want the screen on this bad boy. I did slide my wife's iPad mini in to see how it looked. It is still a nice, big screen, but nowhere near the monstrosity that the full sized iPad would be.

I still have no damn idea what to do with the exterior. Usually I have exterior ideas and make an interior around that concept. This is the first time I am starting from the inside out.
I was thinking of making a big brick built sign with the theater name. I was thinking of dubbing this thing the BRICKMAX.

Again, this is all extremely early work in progress. I will most likely have to kill two MOC modulars to get the parts to do it, but the theater idea has been itching for a very long time.

Man a Drive in scene would be fun seeing that big screen

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this one going to be released soon? I hope it's not going OOP as soon as Sungnyemun, since I've still got to buy Villa Savoy, the Big Ben and Rockafeller Center as well (and one day hope to find an affordable Hancock Center).
That's already OOP!? But that's one of the newer ones. I was tempted to get it as well.

wetwired

I finally attempted to do the back half of ecto-1

I've ordered some more parts to add some missing details to the roof, I have to do the door Ghostbuster Logo Decals and I'm not completely happy with the back fins part yet, looking at other attempts online (including orion pax's) it looks like the trickiest part to get right.

front.jpg

Side.jpg

back.jpg

I've ordered some more parts to add some missing details to the roof, I have to do the door Ghostbuster Logo Decals and I'm not completely happy with the back fins part yet, looking at other attempts online (including orion pax's) it looks like the trickiest part to get right.

front.jpg

Side.jpg

back.jpg

Fantastic work!

iuuk

That's already OOP!? But that's one of the newer ones. I was tempted to get it as well.
It isn't available at S@H Europe or the European Amazons anymore, and hasn't been for a month. The American LEGO store lists it as retiring soon, so I guess it's completely OOP.
If you can still buy it I would, since I guess it's going to be really rare seeing its short print run and (I guess) not extremely popular Architecture line.

I was surprised by its short run as well by the way. This is a June 2012 set, so it's been in print for only half a year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I'll just have to forget it. Kind of weird that some buildings have been around for years and yet this disappeared after such a short time. You'd think the disaster that is the Big Ben model would have been retired first.

iuuk

Guess I'll just have to forget it. Kind of weird that some buildings have been around for years and yet this disappeared after such a short time. You'd think the disaster that is the Big Ben model would have been retired first.
I guess it's the Asian style in a mainly Western Architecture line. It's why I was worried about the upcoming Imperial Hotel, even if it is a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

But as someone who managed to snag an Imperial Flagship right after it was retired I can tell you that being just in time to still buy a set is a great feeling! Which, in keeping with the regular advice given in this topic means; if you can still get it: buy it.

I guess it's the Asian style in a mainly Western Architecture line. It's why I was worried about the upcoming Imperial Hotel, even if it is a Frank Lloyd Wright building.

But as someone who managed to snag an Imperial Flagship right after it was retired I can tell you that being just in time to still buy a set is a great feeling! Which, in keeping with the regular advice given in this topic means; if you can still get it: buy it.

It's odd it's been retired already, all the other Architecture sets are still in print, aren't they?

Aww yeah. Just checked my email and Arkham Asylum Breakout should be here tomorrow rather than Friday! So pumped.

Although, I'll be at class when it gets here, and my gf will have nothing to do for a good 5-6 hours until her mid-afternoon class...

I'm sure it'll be done by the time I get home
KuGsj.gif

Aww yeah. Just checked my email and Arkham Asylum Breakout should be here tomorrow rather than Friday! So pumped.

Although, I'll be at class when it gets here, and my gf will have nothing to do for a good 5-6 hours until her mid-afternoon class...

I'm sure it'll be done by the time I get home
KuGsj.gif

I envy you... i will get Arkham as well, but not until end of the year probably... I still have time, Haunted House on the other hand, i'll try and get sooner!

iuuk

It's odd it's been retired already, all the other Architecture sets are still in print, aren't they?
The Willis Tower is a Sears Tower rerun (so the box with Sears Tower is OOP) and the Hancock Center is fully OOP. The rest is still in production, including sets from early 2009.
It's extremely weird, but I'm sure LEGO has its reasons...

zou

Just finished the first floor of the cinema modular and so far it's just meh. Big pieces everywhere, no interesting techniques or sections, nothing even remotely advanced. Worse than the town hall so far and that one was already a crappy building experience. Not to mention the asian/la look that doesn't go at all with the existing modulars.

Really disappointed, doesn't feel like a modular set at all but rather a big city building. I hope they'll keep that German chick away from any new modulars or I'm probably done with them. :/

KingGondo

Banned
I've finished the VW Camper last night and man, it does NOT disappoint. That set is a beast. Highly recommend!
Yeah, it's still probably my favorite. I wish LEGO would do more classic car sets like it.

The T1 gets tons of positive comments every time somebody new comes over to my house. Fantastic display piece, and you can't even tell it's LEGO unless you examine it closely. Pretty cool.

also, why are you watching Oprah? ;)

Entertainment Tonight was on. We were waiting for it to end before Craig Ferguson started. :)

Man a Drive in scene would be fun seeing that big screen

Oh, god. That is a brilliant idea. All you would need is a brace to hold the screen, then a big empty field in front of it. Maybe with some speaker boxes mixed in for cars to park near. Then you can build tons of little car MOCs to come see it.

Really, that is a frakking brilliant idea, and opens up so many things you can do because of all the different cars you could make.

front.jpg

Side.jpg

back.jpg

BIG improvement.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2610740/Lego/left.jpg

The red on top of the doors is what is sealing it right up and makes it look a lot better. Looking crazy awesome now.

As for the red stripe down the side, do you know if they make this part in red?

4650624.jpg

Might give the taper to the red stripe along the side, but also might stick out the side a bit more and look off because of it.

Chuck

Still without luck
Is this one going to be released soon? I hope it's not going OOP as soon as Sungnyemun, since I've still got to buy Villa Savoy, the Big Ben and Rockafeller Center as well (and one day hope to find an affordable Hancock Center).
I believe the Imperial Hotel is a March 1st set. Also, I'd say since it's a Frank Lloyd Wright it'll be around for a while.

Yeah. It is rigid up until near the end of it where it is rubbery. I got one in the Batwing set and thought how cool the piece could be when used right.

Looks like green, yellow, black, blue & orange are the only options.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61406pb05
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61406pb03
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61406pb02
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61406pb04
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=61406pb01

It would be interesting to see the sales figures for all the sets. I suspect Big Ben sells more than you'd think. I think it was someone in this thread that took 2 Big Ben sets and made an awesome version.

Also could be the iconic factor. I never heard of it before the LEGO set. I think the Imperial Hotel looks slick. I would buy this set below (too lazy to see if it's on Cuusoo).

Rest of photos are HERE

Work in progress of my own big screen cinema. I have been working this thing out in my head for the better part of 8 months now, long before Palace Cinema was even leaked out.

The main thing was cramming as much seating as possible into the theater, but still keep things accessible. I have a few doors laid down with ideas of where the patrons will enter the theater. One shows a long hallway running along the side of the seats, while another shows it right at the front of the auditorium.

The first one allows a bit more realistic layout to the auditorium (less light getting in!), but less room for other details inside the building.
The second one would be less realistic (more light near the screen! NO!), but a lot more room for interior details.

I am still trying to figure out how to fit in a box office and concession stand, and possibly a bathroom. The end of one of the long walkways (behind the box office or the concessions) will most likely lead to a staircase to the second floor where I plan to have a projection booth and maybe a main office.

And finally to show just how big I want the screen on this bad boy. I did slide my wife's iPad mini in to see how it looked. It is still a nice, big screen, but nowhere near the monstrosity that the full sized iPad would be.

I still have no damn idea what to do with the exterior. Usually I have exterior ideas and make an interior around that concept. This is the first time I am starting from the inside out.
I was thinking of making a big brick built sign with the theater name. I was thinking of dubbing this thing the BRICKMAX.

Again, this is all extremely early work in progress. I will most likely have to kill two MOC modulars to get the parts to do it, but the theater idea has been itching for a very long time.

Looking good. I have yet to attempt anything close to modular scale. Hot Tub Time Machine? Good movie. :)

mrkgoo

Phonciple: cinema us awesome!

Man, I can't see how you afford so much lego haha! And so much talent and creativity. It actually unnerves and deflates me, lol.

Still playing with my MOC #1 set. Bought some minifigs so maybe I can try something. Also the other set I have is actually jabba's palace, which I got as a gift. The pieces aren't very inspiring though, but i guess all the more challenge. Just need the time also...

I did get a small thirty piece of Duplo for my baby daughter. She can't build anything, but she can hold and smash the bricks together lol.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Can anyone tell me what set is shown in the bottom right hand corner of this photo? The orange truck? It appears to go along with the tow truck set/garage set from 2009. All of which I am currently trying to collect. This one however does not seem familiar to me. 7642 is the garage, 7638 is a tow truck and 7686 is a truck and helicopter. It does not belong to those, but appears to be the same series. Anyone know the set?

8472338889_9e7cd38361_c.jpg

Can anyone tell me what set is shown in the bottom right hand corner of this photo? The orange truck? It appears to go along with the tow truck set/garage set from 2009. All of which I am currently trying to collect. This one however does not seem familiar to me. 7642 is the garage, 7638 is a tow truck and 7686 is a truck and helicopter. It does not belong to those, but appears to be the same series. Anyone know the set?

8472338889_9e7cd38361_c.jpg

it looks like a dump truck, the sides will open up to allow for the bin to be emptied into it.

Fowler

Lego 2012 financial results came in. 25% rise in revenue, 26% rise in net profit. Sales in 2012 are apparently three times what they were in 2007!

Beyond the numbers tho, thought this bit from the press release was interesting:

LEGO Friends significantly exceeded expectations
The best-selling product lines in 2012 were LEGO City and LEGO Star Wars™,followed by LEGO Ninjago (launched in 2011). The new product line, LEGO Friends, delivered a strategic milestone in 2012, selling much better than expected and becoming the fourth best-selling product line. Even though the LEGO Group more than doubled its production of LEGO Friends versus expectations, it was not possible to deliver all of the products demanded.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only had a brief look because you can't spoil the whole thing. Obviously very similar to the Dwarf's Mine from a few years back. May be tempted to get it to sit along side.

robjoh

Lego 2012 financial results came in. 25% rise in revenue, 26% rise in net profit. Sales in 2012 are apparently three times what they were in 2007!

Beyond the numbers tho, thought this bit from the press release was interesting:

Nice to see Lego do well :)

Link to the actual press release?

EDIT:
Found it!

I wonder if this will affect aftermarket prices for sets that come is different box sizes for the hardcore collectors.

YAY! I LOVE the Friends Sets so much.

I like them a lot too. I'm not keen on the color schemes, but they provide nice brick colors and are mostly easy to replace if I choose too.

Wow. They are really making use of the slide mould. I like the set, but it's not on my long list of to get. Will get if it ever becomes heavily discounted. Nice pieces in new colors.

zou

Built the second floor today, and holy shit it's even worse. The walls are done using just one ugly beige color. Only large pieces. No variations. Nothing. This is easily the worst lego set ever.

FINALLY got my Hulk polybag from BrickLink in the mail today!

And... yes, he truly IS as great as i was hoping for, i haven't NEARLY begun to exploit his comedic potential but... for all you Hulk fans,

HULK PICTUREBOMB INCOMING:

Hulk-Muffins

Lederhosen-Hulk

Artic Hulk ;)

And the Oscar goes to...

You want some of this?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I really wish Bricklink would save my username and password, or allow me to stay logged in. I have to log in almost every 30 minutes it seems. It is annoying.

FINALLY got my Hulk polybag from BrickLink in the mail today!

And... yes, he truly IS as great as i was hoping for, i haven't NEARLY begun to exploit his comedic potential but... for all you Hulk fans,

I <3 the Hulk minifigure. LEGO just scratched the surface of the super hero potential. This is just a wet dream, but if only LEGO could do a Super Hero CMF series or battle packs. I look at what minimates has put out and hope LEGO would dabble a little more with the variants and lesser known characters.

I really wish Bricklink would save my username and password, or allow me to stay logged in. I have to log in almost every 30 minutes it seems. It is annoying.

Bricklink just needs some competition to force them to update/innovate a little.

Not sure if it was this thread or some other site, but this could get Bricklink to be a little more proactive in changes. Competition.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401652493/the-ultimate-website-to-trade-lego-bricks-and-inst

Built the second floor today, and holy shit it's even worse. The walls are done using just one ugly beige color. Only large pieces. No variations. Nothing. This is easily the worst lego set ever.
The second floors are usually larger pieces and single color.

I'm sorry you're so disappointed with it. I haven't picked it up yet, but I was definitely underwhelmed when I saw it it in person.

Keep the impressions coming-dissenting opinions are welcome!!

Could the set have been better? Yes. But one of the worst ever? Not in my opinion. It is definitely one of the weakest modulars. There is no denying that.

Top Bottom