• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

neonglow

So I posted the ghostbusters stuff on a ghostbusters forum I've been frequenting and the admin there was getting a bit pissy with me because they've been promoting the one that's got 3000 or so votes and he suggested I contact that creator of that one and work together to reach 10000 faster (suggesting I let that guy use my pics and work)

I don't see why you need to do that. Cuusoo has had several Zelda submissions.

R-User!

So I posted the ghostbusters stuff on a ghostbusters forum I've been frequenting and the admin there was getting a bit pissy with me because they've been promoting the one that's got 3000 or so votes and he suggested I contact that creator of that one and work together to reach 10000 faster (suggesting I let that guy use my pics and work)

Sorry, no! That's fucking INSANE! forget that mess.

You built it, you earn your votes for your creation!!!

To hell with that nonsense!

Edit: sorry for yelling, but that shit hit a nerve!

wetwired

Sorry, no! That's fucking INSANE! forget that mess.

You built it, you earn your votes for your creation!!!

To hell with that nonsense!

Edit: sorry for yelling, but that shit hit a nerve!

This was my reply

I guess it comes down to what you think Cuusoo is as an initiative, I see it as an avenue to share your creations and possibly see them become real sets. Whereas some see it as a platform to present ideas for sets or themes. I don't see what I'm presenting on cuusoo as an idea for a set or theme. I'm presenting my creation and my take on it.

I don't particularly don't want to have someone else take credit for the work I've put in nor do I want to ride on the coat tails of someone else's already established success. There's already been a Zelda set that reached 10000 but was rejected, yet another has passed since and is awaiting review. In my opinion it's not a matter of competition as there's nothing stopping one user voting for both or all Ghostbusters submissions on Cuusoo.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

lol :D Don't do that man, your Ecto-1 is way better, plus your figs are way better. Once people find yours I'm pretty sure it will reach 10k faster than the other one.

edit: Boss reply, well done.

wetwired

try it, is there a gostbusters OT?

Not to my knowledge.

I took a photo of my daughter playing with the Ghostbusters this morning, I had to tell her what the ghostbusters do but after that she went around "zapping" all the ghosts, frogs, bats and people from the haunted house into "jail" (behind the fence)

violet.jpg

iuuk

This was my reply
To be fair, so far LEGO have seen it as a platform for ideas. The first three sets have been complete redesigns (and were actually quite bad in CUUSOO form to be honest) and I'm sure that the Delorean will come out looking completely different as well.
How you make it look is a marketing tool for getting votes, not how LEGO are going to make it look.

Having said that, I think how you make it look is an extremely important tool in making people visualize how it can be if LEGO will actually make one and it was hardly an original idea when the other guy made it. Yours definitely deserves the votes.

This is why I'm afraid the Tumbler will fail though. LEGO have already got one, even though it's not even on the same level.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing that Haunted House set again, I so want an original Maniac Mansion set :/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I ordered off the bookpeople

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk

5 pounds can't complain

[edit] weird that my link changed to a redirect referral link. Just search lego and you'll find the book

Wasn't in the market for one, but thanks for the link anyhow. Just thought it was both funny and sad. They really should put plastic wrap around these books to prevent people from stealing 90% of the product.

Even those DK books with the minifigure are easy to get at.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Have to say, not a fan of the black shoe prints. Also a bit indifferent about that Slimer ^^

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Fuck that. Your build is way better. I hope you destroy the other one just because of these comments now.

mrkgoo

Not to my knowledge.

I took a photo of my daughter playing with the Ghostbusters this morning, I had to tell her what the ghostbusters do but after that she went around "zapping" all the ghosts, frogs, bats and people from the haunted house into "jail" (behind the fence)

violet.jpg

Awesome model. I would try to vote. Also, great work and definitely stick to your own. Great reply to the forum mod ( or whoever it was) - tasteful but to the point.

Anyway, I thought it was awesome your daughter was playing with them, and was just wondering if she has seen the movie because of your toy?

Just came home from the HFR version of The Hobbit, and fighting the urge to go off and buy all the minifigs. It seems such a waste to me, when they'll probably get new versions along the next movies.

Also a bit annoying that Bricklink lists them without weapons, so I'd have to track them down separately. With the cost of some figures, I might as well buy the sets themselves.

R-User!

So do you think I should do a separate thread to get some extra support in? people who generally wouldn't come in here?

I don't see why it would hurt! Just announce that you just put a new creation up on Cuusoo, and that if anyone likes it that you would be GREATLY Obliged if they would vote it up on Cuusoo!

R-User!

I've been tweaking it slightly, I added slimer and fixed some dodgy photoshopping I did at 1 in the morning last night. I also made the bottom of their legs black based on someone suggestion.

black "shoes" make sense because that's what I remember them wearing: black boots.

I love everything so far but what's up with Slimer's design? :/

wetwired

Awesome model. I would try to vote. Also, great work and definitely stick to your own. Great reply to the forum mod ( or whoever it was) - tasteful but to the point.

Anyway, I thought it was awesome your daughter was playing with them, and was just wondering if she has seen the movie because of your toy?

No she hasn't seen it, she's only 3 and a half and I think she's be too scared, she woke up in the middle of the night crying after having a nightmare about the little mermaid haha

wetwired

black "shoes" make sense because that's what I remember them wearing: black boots.

I love everything so far but what's up with Slimer's design? :/

It's a prexisting minifig (star wars rotta the hutt). One of the restrictions of cuusoo is that you can't make new moulds\pieces (which I've already broken with venkmans hair)

So I can basically have that or nothing

R-User!

It's a prexisting minifig (star wars rotta the hutt). One of the restrictions of cuusoo is that you can't make new moulds\pieces (which I've already broken with venkmans hair)

So I can basically have that or nothing

That makes sense. I thought that because you created Venkman's hair that you would create a custom Slimer too... :)

edit: If your roof magically came off, would there be enough room width-wise for 2 minifigs to sit side by side?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That makes sense. I thought that because you created Venkman's hair that you would create a custom Slimer too... :)

edit: If your roof magically came off, would there be enough room width-wise for 2 minifigs to sit side by side?
I think the custom hair is probably an easier sell to LEGO than a custom Slimer, they can use that hair piece again in other sets or with other minifigs whereas a Slimer isn't going to end up in other sets, unless they do lots of Ghostbusters ones. Speaking of which seeing this set has got me wanting a LEGO Ghostbusters game now.

So what's the consensus on the Chima line? How fun are the builds? The models and the minifigs look quite cool so I'm tempted, and it's a plus to be able to start with the first wave.

What about the card game?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Finished Palace Cinema. I agree that the build of those early sections wasn't spectacular - but it is a handsome set.

Yes, I am actually spoiler-tagging this next bit as the set has officially only been out two days...

I got a bit worried when
building the 'Palace' sign - the whole sign structure was leaning to one side after constructing the letters and when applying the vertical blue plates. I even stopped and rearranged the bricks ad-hoc to fix it, thinking I had some bent plates. But that didn't work/I didn't have enough spares, so I forged on, and then it turned out there were plates to add specifically to stop this. Felt a bit strange, like a cheat on LEGO's behalf. If I was a Eurobricks nut I'd say that the bricks must be twisted, and they would never cheat like this, etc etc. But I think it *is* a shortcut. Not sure what to make of that, really. You do think better of LEGO and assume this stuff wouldn't happen.

Finished Palace Cinema. I agree that the build of those early sections wasn't spectacular - but it is a handsome set.

Yes, I am actually spoiler-tagging this next bit as the set has officially only been out two days...

I got a bit worried when
building the 'Palace' sign - the whole sign structure was leaning to one side after constructing the letters and when applying the vertical blue plates. I even stopped and rearranged the bricks ad-hoc to fix it, thinking I had some bent plates. But that didn't work/I didn't have enough spares, so I forged on, and then it turned out there were plates to add specifically to stop this. Felt a bit strange, like a cheat on LEGO's behalf. If I was a Eurobricks nut I'd say that the bricks must be twisted, and they would never cheat like this, etc etc. But I think it *is* a shortcut. Not sure what to make of that, really. You do think better of LEGO and assume this stuff wouldn't happen.

I'm not following. They made a structure stable using other bricks. How on earth could using legos to build a lego building feel like cheating?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'm not following. They made a structure stable using other bricks. How on earth could using legos to build a lego building feel like cheating?

Yea, I have no idea what you are talk about? Elaborate?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Basically, my point is that the bricks don't naturally sit right during one part of the build. Unlike the images in the instructions, there are unsightly gaps and the whole thing is twisted. But then, a few steps later, once some other pieces have applied, it's all tidy. Yet it's only because they are locked down. In 100s of LEGO sets since I was seven, I've never really seen anything like it.

Top Bottom