• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

iuuk

Is Falling Water the only Architecture set that DOESN'T have the black/grey base?

Anyone have any experience making one?
Yes and Yes. Interesting 'puzzle like' build, but like all architecture sets not even close to the building experience things like modulars or the camper van provide. It's also the only architecture set that looks worse than in the pictures (the rest looks better).

Oh I get it..."May the 4th be with you"

Totally unrelated to LEGO but it makes me laugh. I used to work for an NHL team. One year they made it into the playoffs (three rounds deep) and one of my colleagues sent the following (stupid) email message to our department:

"YAY May the fourth be with you!!!!" as they were playing a game that night.

Except he didn't, he accidentally sent it to the corporate distribution list, including every employee, every board member, and every internal partner....over a thousand people.

What made it worse was that he then tried to recall the message...and if you know anything about email you know that never works. So immediately following the silly pun, everybody got over 10 "X wants to recall this message" notifications in their inbox (he kept trying). He never lived it down.

Anyway. That's what I think of whenever I hear "May the fourth be with you".

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Congrats on getting Grand Emporium. And that reminds me, I dont remember seeing your impressions of the Best Star after you finally built it.

I'm actually going to start building it this weekend! My wife has to work a weekend shift at the hospital, so I'll have the place to myself. I'll probably start the day with a trip to the LEGO store to grab GE, followed by a few beers with my Death Star. :)

iuuk

So, apparently the Imperial Hotel is online at S@H Europe, and it's €130!?! That's one upping the ridiculous architecture prices. I expected it to be €100-€110, seeing how it's half the amount of bricks of the Robie house. I could have understood €115-€120 because of how LEGO have handled the architecture pricing, but €130 is insane.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, apparently the Imperial Hotel is online at S@H Europe, and it's €130!?! That's one upping the ridiculous architecture prices. I expected it to be €100-€110, seeing how it's half the amount of bricks of the Robie house. I could have understood €115-€120 because of how LEGO have handled the architecture pricing, but €130 is insane.

That price is ridiculous for the Architecture line. I mean, the sets are already overpriced. But for the piece count? I would love to read an article on how TLG prices sets.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Isn't it because of the copywright on buildings and architecture? I always assumed it was that, plus the selection of bricks/toles and colours in these sets - the pricing is designed to keep the reds and greens and browns rare. The latest S@H catalogue I had (last week - in the UK) specifically mentions that the dark red, dark tan and gold pieces in Palace Cinema are 'hard to find elements'. Canny bunch, LEGO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Isn't it because of the copywright on buildings and architecture? I always assumed it was that, plus the selection of bricks/toles and colours in these sets - the pricing is designed to keep the reds and greens and browns rare. The latest S@H catalogue I had (last week - in the UK) specifically mentions that the dark red, dark tan and gold pieces in Palace Cinema are 'hard to find elements'. Canny bunch, LEGO.

I'm looking at my catalog now, and yup - they state that the Cinema contains hard to find elements. Silly.

Imperial Hotel is in here as well. I guess $130 isn't terrible (I was reading the prices wrong, ha), but I'm going to wait on that. I need to get GE first (with my 10% off coupon say WHAAAT?).

iuuk

I never really thought about copyright on buildings, but of course that's a thing too. Then there's the fact that the architecture line is designed by an independent designer, so hiring that guy might be more expensive than their regular team of designers.
I still think €130 is really pushing it for 1188 small bricks, even for the Architecture series. I'll just have to wait 'till one of the Amazons drops the price below €90/80. They dropped the Robie House by €65 at one point, so here's to hoping the Imperial Hotel will get the same treatment.

lingiii

Banned
Fallingwater title bar piece has an (R) on it I think--not looking at it right now. One of the Architecture pieces I have definitely does. feels kinda weird.

Got the Spring Catalog today. Meh. No coupon. I was not expecting one since customer service told me they couldnt get it in there for me, but it is nice to hope. :)

Two things of note for everyone: Grand Emporium is still in there, but like many catalogs before, Fire Brigade is not.

Also, Tower Bridge is no longer listed. I am guessing we have a couple more months on that one. Get it while the getting is good.

ghostmind

Got the Spring Catalog today. Meh. No coupon. I was not expecting one since customer service told me they couldnt get it in there for me, but it is nice to hope. :)

Two things of note for everyone: Grand Emporium is still in there, but like many catalogs before, Fire Brigade is not.

Also, Tower Bridge is no longer listed. I am guessing we have a couple more months on that one. Get it while the getting is good.

Do they have the VW Camper listed?

Got a 15% off coupon to TRU. Anyone have any idea of what might be worth a purchase with that?

Is it in store only? Try and get something that is close to MSRP, like Galaxy Squad stuff.

I got a $10 off a $50 purchase, in store only. I doubt I will use it, so anyone is welcome to it.

ntpe5Nn.jpg

It cost me about $30. However, I'd rather have it now than wait until August, pay even more, probably end up with custom fees and have some spare parts I don't need.

For some reason it came with white horns, but I sort of need one of those so I might replace them with black later on. I'm surprised how big it is, I had imagined something 2/3 the size or so. It's also very posable and looks rather good.

There are only a few things I dislike. I would have preferred a slightly longer body so that there could be an option of having four legs instead of two legs and gimpy T-rex arms. I also miss a standard hole in the mouth for plugging in fire effects. I have some huge fire items that I could use, but there's nowhere to put them. A small fire can be wedged in his lower jaw, but it looks a bit silly. I might mod him to put a spacer in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It cost me about $30. However, I'd rather have it now than wait until August, pay even more, probably end up with custom fees and have some spare parts I don't need.

For some reason it came with white horns, but I sort of need one of those so I might replace them with black later on. I'm surprised how big it is, I had imagined something 2/3 the size or so. It's also very posable and looks rather good.

There are only a few things I dislike. I would have preferred a slightly longer body so that there could be an option of having four legs instead of two legs and gimpy T-rex arms. I also miss a standard hole in the mouth for plugging in fire effects. I have some huge fire items that I could use, but there's nowhere to put them. A small fire can be wedged in his lower jaw, but it looks a bit silly. I might mod him to put a spacer in.

It looks cool, but what is it? Is it a custom dragon or is it from a set?

ghostmind

ntpe5Nn.jpg

EDIT: So the dragon has been released before - it came out in 2007 in set 7093 (Skeleton Tower). I had thought that this year's dragon was a new part, but I guess not.

EDIT2: Those fantasy-era Castle sets from that period look infinitely more interesting than the 2013 offerings.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh nice - dem dragons look pretty cool. I hadn't really noticed them as I don't really gravitate towards the fantasy sets, but they'd make a really cool prop in a diorama. I'm actually thinking of grabbing the LotR castle-esque set after GE and Pet Shop. I should have some time after I get both of those to catch up on a few Modulars I waited on due to my Death Star purchase, ha.

I would love a catalog coupon if someone here does not plan to use it. The Lego store is an hour away but the 10% off + double VIP points will make my trip worthwhile.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
March 25th - April 8th. I'm getting the GE also but I'll be holding off until then. Double VIP points are too sweet.

10% off coupon
Set cost = $150 - $15 = $135
Points = 135
$5 off next purchase
Total savings = $20

Double VIP
Set cost = $150
Points = 300
$15 off next purchase
Total savings = $15

Double VIP w/10% coupon
Points = 270
$10 off next purchase
Total savings = $25

I guess if you consider the additional 35 vs 70 points, that Double VIP w/coupon is the way to go. GE won't magically disappear between now and the 25th, so I guess I COULD wait.

10% off coupon
Points = 135
$5 off next purchase
Total savings = $20

Double VIP
Set cost = $150
Points = 300
$15 off next purchase
Total savings = $15

Double VIP w/10% coupon
Points = 270
$10 off next purchase
Total savings = $25

I guess if you consider the additional 35 vs 70 points, that Double VIP w/coupon is the way to go. GE won't magically disappear between now and the 25th, so I guess I COULD wait.

Get the Haunted House. More savings!

My gf says its happening. Death Star come double VIP. A sprt of "thank you" gift from her to me for helping her out so much last year. Man, that's my job but very sweet of her.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get the Haunted House. More savings!

How is that set in terms of design? I've heard and seem that, from a "modular" perspective, it's lacking.

Also, Town Hall is where it's at for savings! If I didn't already have the SSD and the Death Star, I'd grab one of those. I could grab the Tower Bridge at that price, but Amazon Warehouse has those pop up once in a while for pretty cheap.

My gf says its happening. Death Star come double VIP. A sprt of "thank you" gift from her to me for helping her out so much last year. Man, that's my job but very sweet of her.

A+

Every day I check warehouse deals hoping I can score a sweet helms' deep or moria deal like I did with weathertop.... dang I'm pathetic.

How is that set in terms of design? I've heard and seem that, from a "modular" perspective, it's lacking.

Also, Town Hall is where it's at for savings! If I didn't already have the SSD and the Death Star, I'd grab one of those. I could grab the Tower Bridge at that price, but Amazon Warehouse has those pop up once in a while for pretty cheap.

A+

I haven't bought the Haunted House yet but it is on my list. The reviews make it sound amazing.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73816

As for the Town Hall, you might be better off waiting for another sale on Amazon. It usually sits at $180 and is on sale sometimes for much less than that.

A+
Ghostmind and myself called it the best set of last year. It is magnificent.

Top Bottom