• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Basically, my point is that the bricks don't naturally sit right during one part of the build. Unlike the images in the instructions, there are unsightly gaps and the whole thing is twisted. But then, a few steps later, once some other pieces have applied, it's all tidy. Yet it's only because they are locked down. In 100s of LEGO sets since I was seven, I've never really seen anything like it.

I've had similar gaps appear when making a giant wall of 1X2 bricks. Yes bricks can warp towards the sides of the studs if they aren't secured properly at the base. It's a byproduct of how the legos snap together, i think. If the bricks weren't squeezing each other, they couldn't hold together at all. Thus, sometimes the squeezing visibly deforms things. I don't see why designing around this limitation isn't a valid design technique.

Since I got back into Lego, for the sake my wallet's health I have try to stick mainly with Star Wars theme set, but some reason I find this set to be very interesting.

Vu5DVpvl.jpg

I love the colors and the retro look and the superhero theme.

Rootbeer

Banned
amazon shipped my Iron Man 3 sets already :eek: Figured it wouldn't be so soon as they were showing an estimated ship date of 2 weeks earlier

lingiii

Banned
GAF I made a horrible mistake. I thought "we'll for this quiet Saturday how about a light up a doob (it's legal in Seattle jeez calm down) and build this Imperial Hotel. I've got an old family connection to the place (got a picture of grandpa there from when he was stationed in Japan) and thought "lets make this one more special". But how! And for one brief moment I realized the build would be more perfect if I lined up the logos on all the bricks. Instead I ate some Doritos and played games.

I got to wondering though: is anyone neurotic enough to have tried this? I keep haing minor OCD flashes of looking at my sets and thinking "I fucked up they're all imperfect!" I settled for making the logos on the SNOT read right side up, and it quieted the demons a bit.

to;dr I think I smoked some bud and it shattered my LEGO mind.

flyingpig

Neo Member
Attn Phoncible P Bone.

Need an address for this cup full of tiles. Random selection of red, yellow, and tan 2x2s and light green 1x2s. In hindsight more tan may have been better, oh well. Email is i81icu812 at the googlemail.

Attn Phoncible P Bone.

Need an address for this cup full of tiles. Random selection of red, yellow, and tan 2x2s and light green 1x2s. In hindsight more tan may have been better, oh well. Email is i81icu812 at the googlemail.
First off, props for knowing the full name. :)

Second, I will PM you when I get home with details. And what are you wanting in return? Any certain sets or minifigs?

If anyone in the GTA (Ontario) is looking for a good deal on some Star Wars lego Jabbas Palace/Skiff sets I have one of each to sell cheap. PM me for details

Holy crap. I want that set so bad and have been trying to find a deal on it. Good price.
Amazon has it for around $40 also. It's the Vermin Vaporizer set, I couldn't remember the name so I call it the mech set and not the Eradicator mech. I don't think that one is out yet.

I need to stop looking at those, they all have cool retro design and remind me of Micronauts / Microman toys.

Since I got back into Lego, for the sake my wallet's health I have try to stick mainly with Star Wars theme set, but some reason I find this set to be very interesting.

Vu5DVpvl.jpg

I love the colors and the retro look and the superhero theme.

Agreed, i also love the figs, in fact i just ordered "Glove World" on Amazon purely to get one regular Spongebob fig which is just adorable (especially if you enjoy the show too).

Also: dat mini Ferris Wheel

wetwired

Pretty bored this morning so I made a quick and dirty Facebook cover photo:

g8vNJTj.jpg

Nice, I didn't even notice buzz at first.

I spent an hour or so messing around with the beginnings of the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man.
I had to photoshop the blue in cause I don't have that piece in dark blue and I had to photoshop on the mouth as well to simulate what it will look like with a decal sticker. The eyes are actually real pieces.

sp1.jpg

I'm not convinced his head is big enough in comparison to the size of the hat but I've been staring at it and photos all night so maybe I'm being pedantic?

Today I've somewhat unexpectedly sold some unused stuff for $200, so I'm thinking of spoiling myself for my birthday. I'm just not sure about what.

I can go with a bunch of Hobbit sets to almost (not any interest in the Goblin King set) complete my dwarves, or I can get Pet Shop.

The thing is, I don't particularly want the Hobbit sets, so they'll (Spiders, Barrel Escape and Warg Attack) will mostly be turned into props to improve my MMV diorama, as well as gathering more dwarves in Bag End.

As for Pet Shop, I mostly want it for the building experience, as I don't really have space for it.

I could also mention that I'll have all my vintage stuff shipped to me next week, so I'll probably be fairly legoed out for a while, not to mention that I plan to order up pieces to complete any major sets I've lost pieces for over the years.

So, is it a good idea to spend this cash now?

Today I've somewhat unexpectedly sold some unused stuff for $200, so I'm thinking of spoiling myself for my birthday. I'm just not sure about what.

I can go with a bunch of Hobbit sets to almost (not any interest in the Goblin King set) complete my dwarves, or I can get Pet Shop.

The thing is, I don't particularly want the Hobbit sets, so they'll (Spiders, Barrel Escape and Warg Attack) will mostly be turned into props to improve my MMV diorama, as well as gathering more dwarves in Bag End.

As for Pet Shop, I mostly want it for the building experience, as I don't really have space for it.

I could also mention that I'll have all my vintage stuff shipped to me next week, so I'll probably be fairly legoed out for a while, not to mention that I plan to order up pieces to complete any major sets I've lost pieces for over the years.

So, is it a good idea to spend this cash now?

I would say go with Pet Shop. I finished the first building last night and the posters in this thread aren't kidding...it is incredible. I really prefer building the smaller components of it instead of the other modulars that feature so much "wall time". Excellent details and a gorgeous exterior. I didn't realize that the floor was elevated until I started-that was probably my favourite Town Hall feature.

Pet Shop is smaller than other modulars too so you can make the space for it.

oh btw yes spend the cash now. Spend all of it!!

I'll get the Lego LotR game soon, maybe I'll play that first and see if I get an irresistible urge to get some of those sets, or MOC a balrog. Helm's Deep also looks nice but it's too huge to display anywhere convenient.

I'll get the Lego LotR game soon, maybe I'll play that first and see if I get an irresistible urge to get some of those sets, or MOC a balrog. Helm's Deep also looks nice but it's too huge to display anywhere convenient.

Thanks for reminding me, i need to still get that one too, got Lego Batman 2 to play before it though :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Thanks for reminding me, i need to still get that one too, got Lego Batman 2 to play before it though :)
Both those games are pretty good, flying around as Superman is awesome and the LotR game made me nostalgic for the movies. Have played every LEGO game to 100% so far, can't wait for LEGO Marvel!

Grand Emporim or Pet Shop? I know GE is getting close to its time, so that would be my main reason to buy it first...

Grad Emporium's first floor is superbly designed. The interior is weak but for my purposes as a grown-ass man that doesn't matter. The brickwork is tremendous and the "SHOP" sign is pretty poor imo. Terrific billboard on the roof though.

I am only 1/2 way done Pet Shop but the reduced scale feels like it drove some serious design innovation. Every brick is placed with a sense of purpose as opposed to the other modulars. The downside is that it is quite a bit smaller than the other sets.

They are both excellent choices.

Grand Emporim or Pet Shop? I know GE is getting close to its time, so that would be my main reason to buy it first...

As others said, the first floor design of Grand Emporium is spectacular. The entire building is still the best looking modular in my opinion. The interior is lacking compared to Pet Shop and Fire Brigade, but the outside is incredible.

Pet Shop is more of a complete package though, and more crazy techniques and unique touches to it. The exterior looks fantastic, and the interior details are superb. But you have more time on it.

While I think Pet Shop is the superior of the two, I would say Grand Emporium first just because its life is shorter. It is a 9.7 compared to Pet Shop's 9.8

RGE because it's going OOP sooner. Also the sign is exceedingly cool.

RGE? Grand Emporium?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Both are great sets! Pet shop was a funnier build IMO as GE can get a little bit repeative. GE looks great complete. You really will want to get both. So since GE is older you should go with it first. Considering they currently have 5 modulars for sale, one or two should be going away soon.

At the finish line of the main structure for the BrickMAX Cinema, and am about to run out of bricks for the wall. GAH! Time to improvise, because I do not want to stop this so close to the end.

The interior details for the second floor will have to come later.

lingiii

Banned
I just realized I have all the Star Wars ships currently in print, so I can't get the lil republic frigate march promotion :eek: the firstest of world problems.

Quick and dirty shot of the completed front of the BrickMAX. When I get the time I will get a better shot of the entire building including the roof, and size comparisons to other modulars.

If I had more of the 1x1 plates with the clips turned on the side, I wanted to make a sign much like the SHOP sign on Grand Emporium. Have it spell out either "MAX" or "BRICKMAX" and have it bent into a semi-circle and go around the giant yellow LEGO brick on the sign.

I need to add interior detail to the second floor, and am thinking of adding HVAC units to the roof just for detail. But the main auditorium is complete, and the iPad fits very comfortably in there. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like I'll be picking up the GE soon, thanks guys. Pet Shop can wait a bit. :)

Also!

Death Star is on Amazon Prime at the moment for $358. Awesome set (and killer deal when you consider no tax).

I saw this on my phone this morning and thought that yellow piece was a 2x2 plate. I didn't realize what you'd done until looking at the thread on my PC.

Nicely done!

I'm treading a thin line with the LEGO keychains, magnets & modulars in the den. I don't think another LEGO themed item will fly in our house.

Is it a bad sign when you spend your weekend replicating your office?

IronRinn

Picked up a Techic Grand Prix Racer yesterday on a trip to Toys R Us. Was just kind of looking down the aisle, turned around and there it was. I had forgotten all about it. Grabbed one almost without thinking. Thing comes with a hell of a sticker sheet.

LC4I4qz.jpg

You know you want it.

Honestly, they don't really do anything for me.

And yes these ones do stack

That is really cool, though.

Looks like I'll be picking up the GE soon, thanks guys. Pet Shop can wait a bit. :)

Also!

Death Star is on Amazon Prime at the moment for $358. Awesome set (and killer deal when you consider no tax).
Congrats on getting Grand Emporium. And that reminds me, I dont remember seeing your impressions of the Best Star after you finally built it.

I saw this on my phone this morning and thought that yellow piece was a 2x2 plate. I didn't realize what you'd done until looking at the thread on my PC.

Oh.

OH.

I didn't notice that until you said something. A+

@Phon - theatre looks good! I was thrown off by that yellow brick too. Cool idea.

Thanks. It is actually 6x6. I built one in red as well, but the yellow popped more off of the building.

I was browsing S@H and saw the X-Wing. I got excited until I realized it was May 4th not March 4th.

May the 4th be with you. I really hope they have the B-Wing on sale that weekend. I am staying strong and not getting it because of May 4th. I will most likely double down and get the B-Wing and X-Wing that day.

Top Bottom