• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

leng jai

I'm still waiting for a retail store in Australia to stock the Haunted House. Having said that I've never even seen a Town Hall in shops here yet which is just nonsense from Lego.

My Palace Cinema should be here in the next few days. Hope I don't gimp out on the stickers.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
That Dad of one of my High school friend's posted this on my facebook today. http://www.geekologie.com/2013/03/lego-spill-shuts-down-highway-lane-in-we.php

My wife said "I wonder if it is like when they spill food on the road. Whatever you find you can take." I looked at her and said....WE NEED TO GO NOW! Her reply sadly was there is a foot of snow on the way.......no....

Also if anyone ever gets a coupon in their catalog and they are not going to use it please send it my way. I live 3 hours from a LEGO store and pretty much will never get a coupon.

I have never gotten a magazine. You just have to be a VIP member right?

I believe if you log onto the LEGO website you have an option to receive catalogs if you don't already.

That Dad of one of my High school friend's posted this on my facebook today. http://www.geekologie.com/2013/03/lego-spill-shuts-down-highway-lane-in-we.php

My wife said "I wonder if it is like when they spill food on the road. Whatever you find you can take." I looked at her and said....WE NEED TO GO NOW! Her reply sadly was there is a foot of snow on the way.......no....

Also if anyone ever gets a coupon in their catalog and they are not going to use it please send it my way. I live 3 hours from a LEGO store and pretty much will never get a coupon.

I am imagining an AFOL crying somewhere and an ex-girlfriend with a huge grin for some reason.

I just got a catalog today, 10% off yay! When do the double points start again?

March 25th - April 8th.

I'm still waiting for a retail store in Australia to stock the Haunted House. Having said that I've never even seen a Town Hall in shops here yet which is just nonsense from Lego.

My Palace Cinema should be here in the next few days. Hope I don't gimp out on the stickers.

I'm not sure what it was, but I really didn't have any problems applying the stickers on Palace Cinema. They did seem to be higher quality. Maybe that had something to do with it.

hu8fe4Z.jpg

Arrived yesterday. Can't wait to build it tonight.

wetwired

I gave up and ordered from germany, came in about $50 cheaper than local RRP too

A few more quick and dirty picks of the BrickMAX Cinema MOC. I printed up some posters while at work (shhh...dont tell), and know I have to adjust the size a little bit on them. But these give a good idea.

I just did a Google search for "LEGO Movie Posters" and lots of neat examples showed up.

Yeah, that one came out REALLY small. I was rushing to finish while on break, and was guesstimating most of the sizes.

Probably my favorite one of the ones found during the quick search. So simple, yet perfect.

Close up of the box office area. I ran out of dark tan tiles so made the checker pattern for the box office area. At least it makes it stand out.

Quick and dirty stairs to the second floor. I will probably fill that back hall with the popcorn machine and other stuff so it is not so bare.

The full building. I plan to make HVAC units for the roof, and to replace the top of the lamppost with a smaller dish.

Close up of the brick sign. All the arms extended out are actually secured to the main building except for the two angled red ones. Also gives a good idea of how the brick built brick was done.

Size comparisons next to Palace Cinema. The puny lil theater...

wetwired

lol at the comment on there

I saw this happen. A giant lego man was driving a car made out of legos, lost control, hit the guardrail, and exploded into a thousand pieces. Investigators are trying to reconstruct the scene, and the car.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A bit late on the coupon discussion but I thought I should chip in that my latest catalogue (UK) was the first in a long time to not have a coupon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love how the Bricking Bad display uses a slew of different red plates to make up the floor. Pretty awesome way of using what you've got!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
If it's only two hours away WHY ARE YOU HERE? Think of the price per brick and the public service you would be doing assisting in the cleanup!

The foot of snow that is falling right now put a kibosh on travel.

EDIT: So the dragon has been released before - it came out in 2007 in set 7093 (Skeleton Tower). I had thought that this year's dragon was a new part, but I guess not.

EDIT2: Those fantasy-era Castle sets from that period look infinitely more interesting than the 2013 offerings.

Thanks for the context, his post was severely lacking.

That brick-built brick is amazing. I wonder if there any pieces that would fit the curvature and size of those studs and could be used to make the bottom side so that it fit together.

ruxtpin

Banned
Phon - Awesome work! Awesome. Just awesome.

As others have mentioned, the brick-built brick is fantastic. Makes me think that it would look great on a full-size modular Lego store.

ghostmind

A few more quick and dirty picks of the BrickMAX Cinema MOC. I printed up some posters while at work (shhh...dont tell), and know I have to adjust the size a little bit on them. But these give a good idea.

I just did a Google search for "LEGO Movie Posters" and lots of neat examples showed up.

Size comparisons next to Palace Cinema. The puny lil theater...

Those new movie posters are aces Phonciple! This theater needs to stay assembled for the long-term.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3324c01

Yeah. I recognize it from one of my old Space sets

Here is the link to the piece. It is a hinged plate and was in older space/city/fire sets.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3324c01

I wanted to say Hi to all. Been following the LEGO Threads and recently got access to NeoGAF.

Welcome, and thank you both for the link!

Ghostmind triggered my memory and I think it was this set:

This explains the extra light grey tails I have kicking around as well. I think there are a couple other small sets in my boxes. I'll have to do some digging.

Edit:
This one, perhaps. I know I had that same piece.

Good call Tuffy. Lego GAF comes through in record time.

ghostmind

Welcome, and thank you both for the link!

Ghostmind triggered my memory and I think it was this set:

I think I had that one as well.

Classic space was such a great theme - I purchased a couple of those lunar plates last month and it triggered a massive wave of nostalgia for these old kits.

My first, and best, LEGO set:

2vgRH4o.jpg

I got Lego Lord of the Rings (the game) and I've just reached Moria. It's really fun, and ridiculously inspiring. I feel like I want to build every single prop. Good thing the world itself isn't modelled.

Notes so far:

Bag End door matches the set, although the walls are game graphics.
Gloin, at the council, seems to use a white version of his custom beard/hair pieces. They specifically added him there, no other non-famous NPCs in the scene.
Bilbo likewise has a white hobbit hair (that's not available yet, right?).
The Watcher in the Water seems possible to build, but very complex and probably in non-official colours.
Sauron is also brick built, and huge, but without the special helmet and armor pieces you can't build him right now.
The tomb of Balin seems to match the Moria Lego set, but not the other pieces of scenery around there.
Great MOC signs, lamps and other props. Very inspiring, especially in Rivendell.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just noticed that Rebrickable is advertised in the LEGO magazine I get. That's really awesome...Is it affiliated with TLG, or is it a fan site? It's even advertised in the magazine as being aimed at older builders, which is fantastic.

Classic space was such a great theme - I purchased a couple of those lunar plates last month and it triggered a massive wave of nostalgia for these old kits.

2vgRH4o.jpg

I'm so jealous. That was always my dream set to get when I was a kid.

I'm with you on the lunar base plates in terms of nostalgia. This was easily my most played with toy when I was young, hands down:

Agreed, i used to have a big BlackTron set back then, which was awesome as well, but yeah i had a couple smaller classic ones for sure too since i still have those red and white minifigs (also a couple yellow ones) i just LOVE that retro Sci-Fi look on them with their oxygen tanks

2vgRH4o.jpg

Not my first set, but my favorite set then the "technic" car was next.

I just rebuilt the Galaxy Explorer recently for the first time in over 30 years and it's as glorious as I remember. Not enough pieces to build the little lunar base. I used some trans yellow bricks to make big firecrackers out of small firecrackers. :( Definitely shows it's age in the way it was designed, but it holds up pretty well in terms of looks (I'm biased off course).

Top Bottom