• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

leng jai

Looks like My Palace Cinema is serving today. Kinda can't believe I own all the modulars still in print when I have nowhere to even put them. Still cuts me to this day that I missed out on the Green Grocer.

I think I had that one as well.

Classic space was such a great theme - I purchased a couple of those lunar plates last month and it triggered a massive wave of nostalgia for these old kits.

My first, and best, LEGO set:

2vgRH4o.jpg

As much as I love Star Wars theme, the original Space theme always have a special place for me. My brother and I spend countless hours playing with Space Lego. Wish we would have kept them but when we were kids after we built the set we would tear them down and had a Lego demolition derby contest where we built vehicles from Lego then roll them into one another as hard and fast as we can and see who win base on how many bricks were left on the chassis. Good times but we destroyed so many pieces.

E6wfXmNl.png

Oh speaking of that on TeeFury is Firefly t-shirt with good old Lego Space logo.

http://www.teefury.com/

I'm so disappointed they didn't have the Large PaB cup for the price of a Small PaB cup like last April. No good exclusive minifig offers either. Still hope for a "Patriot" Iron Man or something.

$10 for the book and exclusive minifig? Sold! Just ordered it on Amazon for that price. Funny thing is the minifig will show up for more than $10 by itself on eBay.

Weenerz

Banned
I'm so disappointed they didn't have the Large PaB cup for the price of a Small PaB cup like last April. No good exclusive minifig offers either. Still hope for a "Patriot" Iron Man or something.

$10 for the book and exclusive minifig? Sold! Just ordered it on Amazon for that price. Funny thing is the minifig will show up for more than $10 by itself on eBay.

I am new to Legos, but I did a search on Amazon for the character encyclopedias and saw how cheap they were and that they all come with figs, gonna have to buy em all.

Why is Z95 listed as new, isn't that thing been in the stores for months now?

I am going to Lego Store tomorrow! There is also Lego Convention this weekend in Portland. It's going to be week full of Lego!

I am trying REALLY hard to be good and buy nothing this month. Double VIP is making it hard. If I had the 10% coupon I would not be able to stop.

If anyone wants to be an evil person, send a coupon my way. Arkham is calling. If not, holding fast until May 4th.

I am trying REALLY hard to be good and buy nothing this month. Double VIP is making it hard. If I had the 10% coupon I would not be able to stop.

If anyone wants to be an evil person, send a coupon my way. Arkham is calling. If not, holding fast until May 4th.

Hold fast, bro. Hold fast. That $200 X-wing is no easy thing to swallow.

Plan is B-Wing AND X-Wing on the same day. That is why I am trying to hold fast. Two month buying sabbatical, then one day or glorious financial pain.

I think my wife would slap the shit out of me if I came home with nearly $400 worth of LEGO. I'm still strategizing a plan to to buy the X-wing.

I think my wife would slap the shit out of me if I came home with nearly $400 worth of LEGO. I'm still strategizing a plan to to buy the X-wing.
If I go through a drought, she won't notice. She knows it is the only thing that makes me happy when I come home depressed from my soul crushing job. Well, that and beer.

I'm totally turned around on the X-Wing. I want it. My nephew showed me his Obi Wan Starfighter on the weekend and I was amazed at its size (that droid is huge!). That was the final nail in my X Wing lust.

..... also, I understand your pain. My wife insists on "ensuring a solid future for the children" through "investing", "saving" and "fiscal prudence".

Her approach is BS. It's all about truth-adjustments...I've been milking a $100 gift card I got for Christmas that has strangely netted me Grand Emporium, Town Hall & Pet Shop over the last two months
...ok...Lex Luthor/Superman set, autobot Creator MOC contest set, Minecraft, Winter Post Office & Winter Cottage are also included in that list but she doesn't know about them
. I should mention that my wife is a divorce attorney specializing in forensic accounting...so I'll be sure to let the thread know when it all goes south. It'll make for tremendous viewing no doubt...it'll go real, real bad.

Got my 10% coupon. Think I'm going to get GE and Tower Bridge on the 25th.

Good man. Tower Bridge is glorious, and not long for this world. Less time on that one than GE I would guess based on the newest catalog.

Speaking of which, when will the rumored Mega Sydney Opera House be announced?

Good man. Tower Bridge is glorious, and not long for this world. Less time on that one than GE I would guess based on the newest catalog.

Speaking of which, when will the rumored Mega Sydney Opera House be announced?

I'd like to know this as well. Hoping to hear some news about it and Orthanc soon.

Ponn

Banned
Not to put down anyone's posts at all, but everytime I see this thread bumped I click to read excited to see Ghostmind posting some official reveal of the Orthanc set finally. And I come away a little depressed and dead inside everytime...

Not to put down anyone's posts at all, but everytime I see this thread bumped I click to read excited to see Ghostmind posting some official reveal of the Orthanc set finally. And I come away a little depressed and dead inside everytime...

It's about the journey!

I'm dying on the inside too

We are all in that camp. I think that might be my most anticipated set this year. I have been clamoring for it since they got the LOTR license.

ghostmind

My anticipation is high too. We did this same song and dance last year for the B-wing, and would have for the Haunted House as well if it weren't leaked in the R2 video.

LEGO tends to load their expensive sets into the latter part of the year, but they also have the Sydney Opera House and the Ewok Village to reveal still, so I'm thinking one of those three should be revealed soon.

I'm checking my sources constantly, so as soon as I know, I will let LEGO-GAF know.

For those that liked the brick built brick, here is the simple way to make one.

The pieces. I use 6 of the 2x6 plates instead of 2 6x6 plates or other combinations just to make disassembly easier.

Line up the first three plates. I just happened to use the ones with holes in them.

Lay the next three plates on top of the first three, but in the opposite direction.

Lay down the tiles and the single studs.

Put down the four circular 2x2 plates.

Cover with the 2x2 circular tiles.

Essentially the studs should be in the center of a 3x3 area, so you can easily scale this to make any sized brick you want.

Ironmask

For those that liked the brick built brick, here is the simple way to make one.

Cover with the 2x2 circular tiles.

Essentially the studs should be in the center of a 3x3 area, so you can easily scale this to make any sized brick you want.

very neat idea, This reboost my idea of a "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Diorama :)

YskYKmc.jpg

(from HKLUG)

The book releases in North America May 1st.

already preordered three months ago, i can't have an hole in my collection!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm going to dismantle my current x-wing and out the new one in its place. She'll never notice. That isn't being rude to my lovely wife, she'll just see a silly x shaped spaceship and move on

neonglow

I'm going to dismantle my current x-wing and out the new one in its place. She'll never notice. That isn't being rude to my lovely wife, she'll just see a silly x shaped spaceship and move on

Wouldn't she notice that it's 3 times bigger? Would it even fit in the same place?

As much as I love Star Wars theme, the original Space theme always have a special place for me. My brother and I spend countless hours playing with Space Lego. Wish we would have kept them but when we were kids after we built the set we would tear them down and had a Lego demolition derby contest where we built vehicles from Lego then roll them into one another as hard and fast as we can and see who win base on how many bricks were left on the chassis. Good times but we destroyed so many pieces.

E6wfXmNl.png

Oh speaking of that on TeeFury is Firefly t-shirt with good old Lego Space logo.

http://www.teefury.com/

2vgRH4o.jpg

I had the same set, it brought tear to my eye

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm curious. If Lego released some space sets that harked back to the more simplistic designs (obviously taking advantage of new pieces) of the early sets would people buy them today.

1996's Exploriens theme was the last to have a Space Base set. With 1997's UFO (which I liked) theme being all ships and also the first non human series.

I'd say the "big downfall" for Space was in 2001 with Life on Mars. Mostly because this was the first set that lost it's nice uniformed colour scheme. Green, orange, blue, white, brown, grey, red. It's a mismatch. I think it was this bold use of basically just three colours that gave the early sets their identity. In some ways that is what is disappointing about the Galaxy Squad sets. As a whole they don't match since each set has its own colour scheme.

So for me I would buy a space set if they went back to the design philosophy of old.

I'm married to Dougal from Father Ted. I'll just tell him the old one was further away.

Fantastic reference :-D

re: the encyclopedias. Is there any comprehensive minifigure one out there? The only one I've seen to date was available online as an ebook for a daft amount of money, but it looked incredibly thorough. Anything similar available, or are they all covering themes/sub-themes?

EDIT:

Actually, hang on - it seems to be available from Lulu for ~£18 - http://www.lulu.com/shop/christoph-...l;jsessionid=58CC79B407CBF825AE56C82D70F916A6 - which is far more reasonable. The print edition is still expensive though.

Dragoshi1

Bought the new Lego City set "Police High Speed Chase".

Mostly for the code it comes with for Lego City Undercover, but I actually enjoyed putting the set together. Apart from this set, I recently bought some Lego Chima things, like the Crocodile Speedorz and the small Crow vehicle.

I feel like going back to the store and picking up the Gas truck or garbage truck.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I pulled the Death Star box out of the storage closet in preparation for Saturday. I forgot how massive (and heavy) this box is.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
After reviewing my wanted list on Brickset and climbing into the attic at my parents house in an attempt to see what sets are up there I have a pretty good idea of what I have and what I want from my future and past LEGO collection. I can confirm that I currently have 100 sets dating from 1985 (when I was 2) through 2013 (Now 29). I was actually shocked at some of the sets I had and did not realize. I have a ton of train sets that I got at some point that I cannot remember. A couple were made in 1985 and I know I didn't get these until later in my collecting days. I am not really sure how that worked out. Either way I do not have room to take all of these sets out of the attic and sort them at my house. I need to buy a house with more room before I start a sorting task like that.

Well with my owned sets now somewhat more cataloged (at least the best I can do at this time) I only have 38 sets in my wish list. That may seem like a lot of sets and a fair amount of those I will never have, 10179 I am looking at you. I feel like I have finally caught up with the going OOP sets. Considering I rediscovered LEGO in July of last year thanks to this thread I have cut my wanted list from around 75 sets down to 38, and some of those I will not see ever. I can count 8 10000 series sets I will never have, not at the prices they are now anyway. I can finally slow down on buying sets and my wife won't have to kill me. I just hope LEGO puts out more 10000 series sets that I am not interested in at all, so I can buy sets as they come out and not have to worry about it.

Basically I have a LEGO problem, I am getting it under control, because I am catching up. I hope I can stay caught up. : )

Lego store still has Death Stars in stock and I keep thinking about it.... must resist. The box on display is such bad shape, though bet they have nice new ones in the back :(

So it's like the SSD?

Yup.

Lego store still has Death Stars in stock and I keep thinking about it.... must resist. The box on display is such bad shape, though bet they have nice new ones in the back :(

They probably do. When I bought it last summer I asked if they had a non mangled one, and they brought one out that was still sealed in the shipping box too. Even the regular box was untouched. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Simpsons LEGO... oh my. I'd love to see what they come up with. Simpsons has a very distinct art style though, I wonder if they can capture it properly. For me it all comes down to how the minifigures look.

fisheyes

Apparently Lego and Simpsons might be joining forces. OMG.

Simpsons Lego?

Oh god. I have a huge collection of Simpsons stuff that has kind of dried up from new purchases in recent years. I am struggling to not replace that hole in my collecting heart with a full blown lego collection. There's no way I could resist. Don't do this to me.

Do do it to me. I want it I want it I want it I want it

I want my Death Star!! (moop already shipped it out, waiting for delivery. Though I have friends visiting this weekend so might not get to start building till next week. :( )

Top Bottom