• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

They probably do. When I bought it last summer I asked if they had a non mangled one, and they brought one out that was still sealed in the shipping box too. Even the regular box was untouched. :)

I don't want to ask, because if they say yes and bring out a clean box, I will end up buying it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lego store still has Death Stars in stock and I keep thinking about it.... must resist. The box on display is such bad shape, though bet they have nice new ones in the back :(

Yup - when I bought mine in store, they went in back and brought me out a boxed boxed Death Star. A box around the box. It was so Xzibit.

Proper sorting helps a lot for the Death Star

Small pieces, and big pieces.

Bags aren't numbered? Haha awesome.

I don't want to ask, because if they say yes and bring out a clean box, I will end up buying it.

But if it is in the shipping box, you wont ever see the Death Star box until you open it yourself. It will just be a plain brown box when they bring you the Best Star.

You know you want it.

Man, I really want a Moe's Tavern LEGO set. It'd probably be a little big though, plus a lot of minifigs.

You say that like it is a bad thing.

You say that like it is a bad thing.

Definitely not a bad thing, just on my limited knowledge of new license I would think they'd shy away from more expensive sets at first until they know how the license will do. I could be wrong though, as I said limited knowledge and all. :lol

Nah, always seems a small place. no upstairs, short bar big enough for four minifigs - I mean customers.

Definitely not large, but I would wonder about detail. Would we get the love o matic, the tv, the pool table, etc? Heck, after thinking about it would LEGO even do a bar?

As for minifigs I think we'd need 5. Moe, Barney, Homer, Larry, and Carl. I couldn't imagine which one of those would be omitted if one needed to be.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Isn't Simpsons a little too PG+ for LEGO? They've turned down some other ideas because of the "themes" involved. Or am I overthinking that?
I'd love some Simpsons themed sets.

Man, I really want a Moe's Tavern LEGO set. It'd probably be a little big though, plus a lot of minifigs.

I can't even imagine the legs this theme would have.

• Monorail
  • Ranger station (with a poster for the mountain music festival)
  • Springfield Elementary (with misprinted calendars)
  • UCS power plant
  • Lemon tree
  • Leftorium

I would spend an absurd amount of money on this theme. Not saying it'll happen of course, but it's nice to dream.

As for minifigs I think we'd need 5. Moe, Barney, Homer, Larry, and Carl. I couldn't imagine which one of those would be omitted if one needed to be.

6. You'd also need a Love Testing Grandpa.

Isn't Simpsons a little too PG+ for LEGO? They've turned down some other ideas because of the "themes" involved. Or am I overthinking that?

That was my thought when I was thinking more about Moe's Tavern, but besides that I don't think they'd have too big of an issue.

I can't even imagine the legs this theme would have.

• Monorail
  • Ranger station (with a poster for the mountain music festival)
  • Springfield Elementary (with misprinted calendars)
  • UCS power plant
  • Lemon tree
  • Leftorium

I would spend an absurd amount of money on this theme. Not saying it'll happen of course, but it's nice to dream.

6. You'd also need a Love Testing Grandpa.

The amount of money I'd spend is honestly scary. I think this would be the one collection I'd need to complete.

They could make a boatload on minifigs alone. There are thousands they could make, and I'd want them all.

They could make a boatload on minifigs alone. There are thousands they could make, and I'd want them all.

Yep.

Imagine recreating this with minifigs:

full.jpg

Edit:
Just saw this over at Reddit. Very cute.

The local shop just got VW Camper and R2-D2 in, at the regular inflated Swedish retail prices. Won't be a problem to resist, but they do look nice.

Ainaurdur

I would have said the same about Spongebob... but well.

Been avoiding this thread to not be tempted to spend money I don't have. Still have a couple sets I have not built yet anyway. I just happened to see the thread in my sub list, had to peek.
Anything new been revealed in the last few months other than the new X-Wing?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That was my thought when I was thinking more about Moe's Tavern, but besides that I don't think they'd have too big of an issue.

That's fair - I'd love to see it done. I guess Star Wars has enough violence and "grown-up" themes and practices to trump Simpsons, but it always makes you wonder if that's the REAL reason they opt to avoid some themes. :p

I would have said the same about Spongebob... but well.

My only argument to that is that Spongebob is on Nickelodeon, while Simpsons is not. I always figured Simpsons was aimed at teens and beyond myself, but I wasn't allowed to watch it growing up UNTIL I was a teen, haha.

Also, my original thought stands...I imagine there's a LOT more to themes than just "age appropriateness".

E: And for my third edit...

Is anyone else sad they don't have space for a legit LEGO Train Layout? I really really wish I could put one together, even if I would have to use the shitty flex track.

Simpsons was one of the first shows I remember my parents wouldn't let me watch. I think that went for a lot of parents at the time too. I guess that's why I'm surprised that LEGO might be getting it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Simpsons was one of the first shows I remember my parents wouldn't let me watch. I think that went for a lot of parents at the time too. I guess that's why I'm surprised that LEGO might be getting it.

I'm still not allowed to watch it and I am 29. lol. I could watch south park tho....

I never saw the Simpsons as a kid largely because my mom didn't like it haha. Still haven't seen it and I'm really not sure how Lego Simpsons would work but I'm just gonna sit back and watch and see.

R-User!

Wall of Pics!!!

Holiday Pick-A-Brick Boxes Part. 2

Our Last 4 PAB Boxes gotten a few weeks ago... with a 50% off Post Office in the background for my birthday... Now we have two!
JtapUMnl.jpg

And In relation to that, this is our Winter Village Bakery and Holiday Gift Scene from the end of our kitchen counter during this last December! :)
vP67wFUl.jpg

Don't mind Minas Tirith in the background; nothing to see there.

This is my son's PAB Box. He filled it himself. 407 pieces! Like Builder like Build! <3
Scattered:
xA5wWiVl.jpg

Grouped:
o6jG9i9l.jpg

78 1x1 Square Trans Red Plates
28 1x1 Round Orange Studs
26 1x4 Green Tiles
26 1x2 Dark Gray Plates with L-shaped Pole
36 1x2 Green Bricks
27 1x2 Pastel Blue Bricks
18 1x4 Light Green/Lime Colored Bricks
09 1x4 Orange Bricks
27 2x2 Round Trans Water Blue Bricks
18 Wheels - Small
18 Tires - Small
15 1x4 Black Axles with hollowed out studs
11 2x2 Gray Axles w hole in center and rim-trim near stems
08 2x2x4 Clear Windshields/Windscreens -
08 2x2 Dark Gray Bricks with over-sized semi-circle rim
07 1x2 Steering Wheels
11 1x2 Slotted White Tiles
09 2x4 Green Bricks
09 2x6 Blue Bricks
09 2x4 Yellow Bricks
09 2x4 Orange Bricks
- 407 Pieces in all. Pretty good for youngster! ;)
Price Per Piece savings off of $75 dollars to qualify for the promotion = 35%!!!

Formula for this is:
Take Estimated Average Cents Per Piece (CPP) for the $75 or more set, of 0.10 CPP = 750 pieces for $75 dollars.
-----$75 dollars / .10 CPP = 750 Pieces
Add the Quantity of Bricks Collected in the Holiday PAB Box to the 750 pieces above.
-----750 Pieces + 407 Pieces = 1157 Pieces
Take new total number of bricks and find Price Per Piece (PPP):
-----($75/1157 pieces=0.0648, or 6.5 cents per piece)
Take Original PPP and subtract New PPP and you get the difference in savings:
-----10 CPP - 6.5 CPP = 3.5 CPP Savings!!! = 35% Price Per Piece Discount!

Of course sometimes you'll be spending more than exactly $75 dollars, but as a Best Case Scenario, this is the type of savings on a Cents Per Piece basis you can expect; if your good about properly packing your PAB Box!

Dad's Box #1
mr35GJQl.jpg

Contents of Box #1
BNleqDUl.jpg

151 1x1x5 White Bricks
54 1x2 White Inverted Slope Bricks
55 1x1 Round Trans Dark Blue Plates
34 2x2 Brown Chairs
28 1x1 Square Trans Red Plates
28 1x1 Round Trans Water Blue Plates
22 1x2 Dark Gray Palisade Bricks (Wavy on the sides)
22 1x2 Dark Gray Bricks
21 1x2 Clear Trans Bricks
18 1x1 Gray Bricks with Clip-Post
16 1x2 Tan Palisade Bricks (Wavy on the sides)
4 1x1 Random Light Green Round Plates
-453 Pieces Total- Savings off of $75 dollars to qualify = 38% discount!

Dad's Box #2
ef73xC3l.jpg

64 2x2 Brown Seats
54 1x2 Dark Gray Palisade Bricks
48 1x1 Round Light Green Plates
45 1x2 Dark Gray Bricks
28 1x2 Dark Clear Trans Bricks
24 6x6 Dark Gray Plates (.50 CPP on Lego.com/Pickabrick---$12 value!)
12 6x8 Green Plates (.60 CPP = $7.20 value!)
12 2x10 Tan Plates (.25 CPP = $3.00 value)
12 4x10 Black Plates (.70 CPP = $8.40 value!)
- 299 Pieces Total - Savings off of $75 to qualify = 29% Discount!

Dad's Box #3
Walled in Bricks!!
CqztvwLl.jpg

I used the Windshields as corrals for tiles and loose small pieces...

Grouped!
JpUk1mZl.jpg

99 1x4 Gray Bricks (.20CPP=$19.80 value!!!)
99 1x2 Tan Palisade Bricks (.10CPP=$9.90 value!)
47 1x2 Dark Gray Palisade Bricks ($4.70 value)
45 1x2 Brown Palisade Bricks ($4.50 value)
31 1x4 Green Tiles
22 1x4 Brown Tiles
20 2x12 Gray Plates (.25CPP =5$value)
18 2x6 Dark Gray Bricks
09 1x1 Orange Bricks
08 1x2 Dark Gray Bricks
05 2x4x2 Windscreens
- 403 Pieces Total - Savings off of $75 to qualify = 35% Discount!

In total, that's a 34% discount in terms of price per piece for all four of the posted Holiday PAB Boxes above!!!

I really do think that if you are the type who builds your own creations, and wants to expand your collection to have more freedom to build what you want, when you want, I think that the Holiday Pick-A-Brick box option is a really good one if you consider the additional value that you get on top of buying your presents on Black Friday with the opportunity to get at least 10% off your entire shopping order as well as 1 pick a brick box for every $75 dollars spent!

R-User!

Two Pick a Brick Cups a couple of days ago!

They had Red Seats!!! I was sooo happy! :)

The Cups! My first two Large!
WfEqcKJl.jpg

Seats in the cap!

Cup 1!
Kw6pflWl.jpg

157 1x1 Round Blue Plates
137 1x1 Square Trans Yellow Plates
131 1x1 Round Trans Light Blue Plates
100 2x2 Red Seats (.15CPP = $15.00 value!)
100 1x4 Red Plates
50 1x2 Inverted White Slope Bricks
42 1x2x5 White Bricks (Tall Bricks!! .50CPP = $21 Value)
21 1x2 Brown Palisade Bricks
01 1x8x2 2/3 Random White Fence - "How'd that get in there!"
- 738* Total Pieces - $16.20 / 738 = 2.2 CPP!!!
*lots of small pieces :p

Cup 2!
Well "Hello there!" Palisade Bricks!
Wuyi9c3l.jpg

rENWL6cl.jpg

195 Brown Palisade Bricks
100 2x10 Tan Plates (.25CPP = $25.00 value!)
06 2x2 Red Seats
05 1x2x5 White Bricks
- 306 Total Pieces - $16.20 / 306 = 5.3CPP meh

Grand Total 1044 Pieces for $32.40
32.40 / 1044 = 3.1 CPP!! I'd buy that for a dollar!
GRHby70l.jpg

All in all a good haul I'd say! Phonciple Bone your Brickmax Cinema is Awesome I think you have an excellent eye for detail and a skill for creating uniquely interesting items and accessories for your creations!

I've wanted to create my own Massive Minifig Cinema to go along Palace Cinema ever since I saw the first batch of high quality shots of it, but I didn't have the RED SEATS to pull it off... ...but in a few weeks I'll be able to get around to creating the prototype for it and sharing it here with you all but for now you'll just have to wait and enjoy some of my old pics from last year:

The few Dwarves who have begun eating before the rest of the group has arrived!
vJjVDBFl.jpg

Dwalin is pissed that Bofur took his spot...
pqJwK0Bl.jpg

And what's this!? Zombies are trying to break in???
kFHs48fl.jpg

Eff that! I'm outta here!!
AViS65kl.jpg

I'm totally turned around on the X-Wing. I want it. My nephew showed me his Obi Wan Starfighter on the weekend and I was amazed at its size (that droid is huge!). That was the final nail in my X Wing lust.

..... also, I understand your pain. My wife insists on "ensuring a solid future for the children" through "investing", "saving" and "fiscal prudence".

Her approach is BS. It's all about truth-adjustments...I've been milking a $100 gift card I got for Christmas that has strangely netted me Grand Emporium, Town Hall & Pet Shop over the last two months
...ok...Lex Luthor/Superman set, autobot Creator MOC contest set, Minecraft, Winter Post Office & Winter Cottage are also included in that list but she doesn't know about them
. I should mention that my wife is a divorce attorney specializing in forensic accounting...so I'll be sure to let the thread know when it all goes south. It'll make for tremendous viewing no doubt...it'll go real, real bad.

Show her the prices of older used LEGO sets on eBay. Many hold or grow in value over time. :) Don't mention the factory sealed ones go for more or you won't be able to play with them.

UCS Star Wars go up a lot more than regular sets too!

Wouldn't she notice that it's 3 times bigger? Would it even fit in the same place?

Too easy and I don't want to get banned...moving along...

I'm curious. If Lego released some space sets that harked back to the more simplistic designs (obviously taking advantage of new pieces) of the early sets would people buy them today.

1996's Exploriens theme was the last to have a Space Base set. With 1997's UFO (which I liked) theme being all ships and also the first non human series.

I'd say the "big downfall" for Space was in 2001 with Life on Mars. Mostly because this was the first set that lost it's nice uniformed colour scheme. Green, orange, blue, white, brown, grey, red. It's a mismatch. I think it was this bold use of basically just three colours that gave the early sets their identity. In some ways that is what is disappointing about the Galaxy Squad sets. As a whole they don't match since each set has its own colour scheme.

So for me I would buy a space set if they went back to the design philosophy of old.

They tried re-releasing older sets with LEGO legends. However, I think they could do something like you want and make it like a Creator set so you can make a classic style space ship or other models.

Wall of Pics!!!

Holiday Pick-A-Brick Boxes Part. 2

Our Last 4 PAB Boxes gotten a few weeks ago... with a 50% off Post Office in the background for my birthday... Now we have two!
JtapUMnl.jpg

I really do think that if you are the type who builds your own creations, and wants to expand your collection to have more freedom to build what you want, when you want, I think that the Holiday Pick-A-Brick box option is a really good one if you consider the additional value that you get on top of buying your presents on Black Friday with the opportunity to get at least 10% off your entire shopping order as well as 1 pick a brick box for every $75 dollars spent!

Holy cow! I was worried about going a little over the top of the box. I could have gotten 30% more stuffing the boxes like that!

Pick-A-Brick is the cheapest way to get bulk new LEGO pieces except maybe the rumored LEGO User Group bulk purchases.

I'm sad because they don't have the big PaB cup for the price of a small PaB cup this April like they did last year.

The few Dwarves who have begun eating before the rest of the group has arrived!
vJjVDBFl.jpg

I love the lighting on that shot.

R-User!

I love the lighting on that shot.

Dat Lighting!

Seriously though, that's the Beautiful Bakery Brick-light "at your service!" Doing double-time lighting the Dwarves Dinner!

Edit: P.S. Lego Store Financial Tip Rule of Thumb: Always Ask what you can get away with the rules are in regards to anything! ;)

I was bad today. Unexpected Gathering get!

Also, I have a 20% off members coupon for BN if anyone wants it. Used one on UG to make it cheaper. If anyone wants my other one let me know.

Just got back from Mall of America LEGO Store! I did something I shouldn't have... (But I wanted to soooo bad!)

40cdf8b7-419f-4ad0-ba0c-af3fa6ad89c0_zps965499f2.jpg

Bag 1 -

c6662305-31bd-454a-ac79-06cc53f1e7c5_zpsba89be3b.jpg

I GOT MODULARS!
Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Palace Cinema!
65a2c612-8123-454e-b208-242df90f1d37_zps1a011ad4.jpg

Arkham Assylum and DDFE

f6ab2353-5eea-488e-8883-dac1d07db96f_zpsb4e21deb.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Nice pickups Phon and Fox.

Oh and Fox i will send you my address so you can mail me that Arkham set. I know you dont really want it and ill be nice and take it off your hands for you.

R-User!

I was bad today. Unexpected Gathering get!

Also, I have a 20% off members coupon for BN if anyone wants it. Used one on UG to make it cheaper. If anyone wants my other one let me know.

I thought that you were going on a Sabbatical! :)
We're you eying that set for a while, or was it the coupon that got you? ;P

I hope you enjoy the build. It sure is a beautiful set! :)

R-User!

I nominate this for haul of the month (if we had such a thing). Capital job there!

Yeah, it's kind of hard to top around 900+ dollars across 5 2000+ piece sets! :) I guess if you added DS, SSD, SexWing, B-Wing, HH, TH, VW, HE and R2 you would "blow away" Fox's haul! :p

Amazing Haul Fox! Reminds me of our Black Friday last year but we didn't get all those Modulars in one day, so Congratulations to you and the many hours of fun ahead of you! :)

Just got back from Mall of America LEGO Store! I did something I shouldn't have... (But I wanted to soooo bad!)

40cdf8b7-419f-4ad0-ba0c-af3fa6ad89c0_zps965499f2.jpg

Bag 1 -

c6662305-31bd-454a-ac79-06cc53f1e7c5_zpsba89be3b.jpg

I GOT MODULARS!
Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Palace Cinema!
65a2c612-8123-454e-b208-242df90f1d37_zps1a011ad4.jpg

Arkham Assylum and DDFE

f6ab2353-5eea-488e-8883-dac1d07db96f_zpsb4e21deb.jpg

What? No Tower Bridge or VW Camper? Pathetic.

Mother of god! There is no kill like overkill, right? Were you making up for lost time? Were you trying to prove a point? LOL.

This is how I imagine it as you took that haul to the register and asked the clerk for Tower Bridge, VW Camper, and Star Wars UCS sets.
Your significant other: "I can't let you do that, Starfox."

I thought that you were going on a Sabbatical! :)
We're you eying that set for a while, or was it the coupon that got you? ;P

I hope you enjoy the build. It sure is a beautiful set! :)

I was on a sabbatical. But the coupon was there, and the store had one in stock. I had a shitty week at work and have the day off tomorrow, so I decided to be really bad and give myself something good this week.

I finished it not long ago. Overall the build was decent. Above average I would say, except for the windows and the main door. Those were ace. I especially love the 4x4 round plates with the 2x2 hole in the middle. Never saw those before. The interior details were a lot of fun as well, like a shrunken modular.

However, once you put the top on the set, it goes from "this is pretty cool" to "this set is awesome." Very awesome set, mainly for the little touches and the wonderful appearance when it is done. Probably one of the best desk display pieces out there, as it is about the perfect size.

R-User!

I was on a sabbatical. But the coupon was there, and the store had one in stock. I had a shitty week at work and have the day off tomorrow, so I decided to be really bad and give myself something good this week.

I finished it not long ago. Overall the build was decent. Above average I would say, except for the windows and the main door. Those were ace. I especially love the 4x4 round plates with the 2x2 hole in the middle. Never saw those before. The interior details were a lot of fun as well, like a shrunken modular.

However, once you put the top on the set, it goes from "this is pretty cool" to "this set is awesome." Very awesome set, mainly for the little touches and the wonderful appearance when it is done. Probably one of the best desk display pieces out there, as it is about the perfect size.

YES!

Dat Tree!

R-User!

Not that you need it now, but in case you do, I found a link to a bunch of close up detail shots of what I'm pretty sure is the Original Ecto-1, and I thought that you might at the very least want to look at them in case they might inspire you to tweak anything that you might want! Again, not that I can see anything that really stands out in your build that needs tweaking, just that you might want the pics for future reference if necessary. :)

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/display,ghostbusters/Timeline

Edit 1: On that person's flickr there is a link to a video showing an Ecto-1 with flashing led's!!!
I can't wait to see your's lighting up too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75766019@N00/4104970142

Edit:2 Stay Puft Marshmallow Muthafuckin Man!

R-User!

The whole time I was building it I was thinking about how much cooler an UCS style one would be. How the grass areas could be more detailed and the sides of the house.

You used the FORBIDDEN letters "UCS" in a post in relation to LOTR!

Get him!!! Do not let him live!!!

All im missing in my lego room now is the SSD and DS. Waiting until the 4th of may to pick those up. Oh crap - I forgot the B-wing!!

Got my taxes back and was eyeballing the modular sets for a long time

wetwired

Not that you need it now, but in case you do, I found a link to a bunch of close up detail shots of what I'm pretty sure is the Original Ecto-1, and I thought that you might at the very least want to look at them in case they might inspire you to tweak anything that you might want! Again, not that I can see anything that really stands out in your build that needs tweaking, just that you might want the pics for future reference if necessary. :)

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/display,ghostbusters/Timeline

Edit 1: On that person's flickr there is a link to a video showing an Ecto-1 with flashing led's!!!
I can't wait to see your's lighting up too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75766019@N00/4104970142

Edit:2 Stay Puft Marshmallow Muthafuckin Man!

Yeah I found a ton of images of ecto 1 (not from that site) so I had a ton of reference to go from.

Yeah I have seen that ecto-1 with the flashing lights on youtube, it's what gave me the idea :)

He does have those cool rotating lights in the siren which I tried to track down but apparently the company that made them has gone bust so I'm going to have to settle for just 2 different types of flashing :(

I can't wait til my lights turn up, I'm dying to play with them

Cool marshmallow man but I want to do better :p

I'm not sure if it was a good idea or not but last night I added a "more to come" pic down the bottom of my cuusoo with some work in progress pics.

Funny thing is I actually had enough back from my tax return to get this haul and pay off my credit card. Super happy with them so far. Just finished first floor of palace cinema, and it was awesome. Im going to do pet shop next because of the crazy amount of detail inside.

wetwired

Funny thing is I actually had enough back from my tax return to get this haul and pay off my credit card. Super happy with them so far. Just finished first floor of palace cinema, and it was awesome. Im going to do pet shop next because of the crazy amount of detail inside.

I envy you completely but I must ask if there is any buyers remorse? regardless of what I buy I always get it

Top Bottom