• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

IronRinn

Finished building the Grand Prix Racer last night. Great looking model. Although, after having built three Technic race/super cars in under a year they're starting to feel a bit same-y (that engine is fun to build the first time, by the third I was kind of rolling my eyes.) The rear suspension was a lot of fun as well as the shell of the main body, as it looks so different from the regular super car shape. I might remove the gear on the nose that serves to turn the front wheels, considering that the steering wheel itself is functional. As usual, I have some parts left over including two red pegs which I know probably go somewhere. I seem to always wind up not putting in at least two of these somewhere on these kits, there's just so much going on in the diagrams. Didn't apply any of the two sheets worth of stickers (seriously, it's ridiculous) though now I'm considering painting the pattern onto the parts. None of the main "paint-job" stickers are too complex. We'll see. They also give you six clear 1x1 rounded studs that I think the instructions indicate to just place next to the model? I don't know, it's really weird. Overall it's a nice kit, but if you've built a few of the cars you probably know what you're in for as far as the build goes.

Just got back from Mall of America LEGO Store! I did something I shouldn't have... (But I wanted to soooo bad!)
I GOT MODULARS!
Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Palace Cinema!
65a2c612-8123-454e-b208-242df90f1d37_zps1a011ad4.jpg

As everybody else has said, amazing haul. I'm definitely jealous.

I nominate this for haul of the month (if we had such a thing). Capital job there!

We must never have a "haul of the month", Ghostmind. There are enough addicts in this thread that we'd all just end up being codependent enablers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished building the Grand Prix Racer last night. Great looking model. Although, after having built three Technic race/super cars in under a year they're starting to feel a bit same-y (that engine is fun to build the first time, by the third I was kind of rolling my eyes.) The rear suspension was a lot of fun as well as the shell of the main body, as it looks so different from the regular super car shape. I might remove the gear on the nose that serves to turn the front wheels, considering that the steering wheel itself is functional. As usual, I have some parts left over including two red pegs which I know probably go somewhere. I seem to always wind up not putting in at least two of these somewhere on these kits, there's just so much going on in the diagrams. Didn't apply any of the two sheets worth of stickers (seriously, it's ridiculous) though now I'm considering painting the pattern onto the parts. None of the main "paint-job" stickers are too complex. We'll see. They also give you six clear 1x1 rounded studs that I think the instructions indicate to just place next to the model? I don't know, it's really weird. Overall it's a nice kit, but if you've built a few of the cars you probably know what you're in for as far as the build goes.

I wish they'd combine technic with regular system a bit more. So have the proper suspension etc, but skin it more like creator expert models. Its like vehicles never get the care and attention that buildings or other themes do - VW Camper honourable exception

Bring back Model Team!

ruxtpin

Banned
No kidding, I had it once when I bought a car. Now that sucked lol

qft. I remember signing off on my first "brand new" car last year. The car before that I had bought from my parents after they'd had it for a year; so while it was new, it wasn't *really* new. When I sat in the dealership last year I was thinking, "oh shit... oh shit... Should I be doing this?"

R-User!

As everybody else has said, amazing haul. I'm definitely jealous.

We must never have a "haul of the month", Ghostmind. There are enough addicts in this thread that we'd all just end up being codependent enablers.

I thought that's what we are though...

;) ..... :) ..... :(

:)

Dragoshi1

Just bought the Lego Star Wars AT-RT, built it as soon as I got home. Also bought the Lego City Fire truck, but will build it later. Going back to pick up another small set or two. Maybe something TMNT or Marvel related.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just bought the Lego Star Wars AT-RT, built it as soon as I got home. Also bought the Lego City Fire truck, but will build it later. Going back to pick up another small set or two. Maybe something TMNT or Marvel related.

Speaking of AT walkers, wasn't there a UCS AT something back when?

I recently realized that I'm not a collector. I enjoy building Lego and like having a couple Star Wars ships displayed, but I don't have the space nor the desire to keep modulars or any other Lego out in the open.

What should I do with my blocks? Give to my wife's kindergarden class? Parse them all out and sell online (no boxes, just instructions and all the pieces)?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I recently realized that I'm not a collector. I enjoy building Lego and like having a couple Star Wars ships displayed, but I don't have the space nor the desire to keep modulars or any other Lego out in the open.

What should I do with my blocks? Give to my wife's kindergarden class? Parse them all out and sell online (no boxes, just instructions and all the pieces)?

I would say donate them or sell them on the cheap to us GAF folk. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

At larger sets like modulars, or spare Star Wars sets you don't need, I'd part out and sell as sets. And if you know that's what you'll be like, keep the boxes on future sets to help with resale value.

You can set up a store on bricklink really easily. Check out comparable prices and if you want to sell quick, price competitively.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Courtesey of our friends over at Eurobricks, I present you with The Lone Ranger sets!

For Size said:
79106 Cavalry Builder Set
b_79106_box_side_800.jpg

79107 Comanche Camp
b_79107_box_side_800.jpg

79108 Stagecoach Escape
b_79108_box_side_800.jpg

79109 Colby City Showdown
b_79109_box_side_800.jpg

79110 Silver Mine Shootout
b_79110_box_side_800.jpg

79111 Constitution Train Chase
b_79111_box_side_800.jpg

More here

Worth noting is the fact that 79111 includes 16 curved track pieces. That's pretty boss. Again, I wish I could house a train layout...

I'll probably pick up 79110 because I love the way the mountain looks - always great to learn some new techniques!

Just got back from Mall of America LEGO Store! I did something I shouldn't have... (But I wanted to soooo bad!)

40cdf8b7-419f-4ad0-ba0c-af3fa6ad89c0_zps965499f2.jpg

Jaw drops to the floor. That's almost $1k worth in one shot and the scary thing is all those modulars are on my list so that means I will eventually spend over $1k. :(
LEGOGAF help me.

That stagecoach will be mine.

I really have zero interest to see this movie.

I agree. The stage coach is the best value and looks great as a standalone set.

Jaw drops to the floor. That's almost $1k worth in one shot and the scary thing is all those modulars are on my list so that means I will eventually spend over $1k. :(
LEGOGAF help me.

I agree. The stage coach is the best value and looks great as a standalone set.

And he didn't even get Town Hall, so add that to the receipt too.

Dragoshi1

Back from store, winded up getting the Chima Claw Ripper, and the Fire Truck Lego City set.

And soon I may go to legoland with the family, anyone who has gone, what are the prices for sets like there? Outrageous, fair, or what?

Every time someone posts a haul you point out the sets they didn't get.

You're a bad influence, sir!!

Mainly with that one because of the sheer magnitude of the haul. I would have waited on Arkham and gotten Town Hall just to have all modulars in one fell swoop.

And yes, I am jealous of the haul. lol.

Mainly with that one because of the sheer magnitude of the haul. I would have waited on Arkham and gotten Town Hall just to have all modulars in one fell swoop.

And yes, I am jealous of the haul. lol.

I would have done the same thing, but that's just the completion-obsessed side of me talking. I know if I get Arkham (which is an awesome set) I'd get sucked into more superhero sets.

Those sets remind me of the short lived Indians subtheme from the Western theme...some of those sets were pretty cool looking but darn is it tough to find them for a reasonable price haha.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Yes, accumulated over the course of a year. It is just the sheer magnitude of a single day haul that is awe inspiring.

I can relate to this. The ability to purchase 1k worth of LEGO in one purchase is inspiring.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Would it be inappropriate to ask if someone would be willing to sell some pieces bricklink style? Just wondering, if so, my apologies and I will delete this.

Back from store, winded up getting the Chima Claw Ripper, and the Fire Truck Lego City set.

And soon I may go to legoland with the family, anyone who has gone, what are the prices for sets like there? Outrageous, fair, or what?

I recall them being close to if not at MSRP.

The Pick-A-Brick is a rip-off though. They charge by weight, but last time I was there, there is a mixed bin of some technic stuff which you can't get at a LEGO store (Legoland is not owned by LEGO anymore so the stores in there are not LEGO owned stores).

What is great though is they have some old inventory items that are hard to find sometimes. They had some knight battle packs from a couple years ago. They usually have some small clearance items, especially old keychains at the main LEGO store there.

I will probably be going to Moa this week on spring break, and I will likely go to the lego store there.

They have a PAB there, so are there any techniques or strategies I should try to get the best bang for my buck?

I will probably be going to Moa this week on spring break, and I will likely go to the lego store there.

They have a PAB there, so are there any techniques or strategies I should try to get the best bang for my buck?

http://www.bensbricks.ca/pick_a_brick.php

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44302&t=f&v=a

I had to modify the pattern from the first link. Not sure if the cups changed or something, but it didn't quite fit for me.

I changed mine to

2 4 5 6 6 5 5 4 2 39
2 4 5 5 5 5 5 4 2 37
2 4 5 5 5 4 3 2 30
3 4 4 5 4 4 3 27
3 4 4 4 4 3 22
TOTAL 155

Number represents how many 2x4 bricks each row. I kept 1x2s for the bottom if I don't fill it with 1x1 plates. I don't put 1x2 bricks in any of my layers. like in the first link.

You should ask what you can get away with as the top layer won't let you snap the lid on.
I use this pattern for 2x4s, 1x4s, and 1x2s bricks.

Plates, snap them together, but don't do that for anything wider than 2 studs wide. It's not easy to separate. You can stagger those bigger than 2 studs wide so 1 stud is over hanging.

Fill gaps with the usual 1x1 plates they almost always have.

It's time vs money. It takes a long time just to get 20-30% more in a cup. For small pieces it's not worth the time to assemble them. I usually do a layer, then drop some filler pieces, then another layer, then some filler (1x1s and 1x2s plates/tiles).

Sometimes I feel like my time is worth more, but it's kinda fun sometimes to see how much you can fit in.

A haul is one thing.

The next logical step is to open them ALL at once and mix the bags before construction!
I had almost posted that. Lol.

I tried doing four modulars at once with mixed pieces, but they were mostly sorted. It was still incredibly hard and time consuming. I gave up after a bit and just went individually.

Ponn

Banned
Everytime I see the BrickShow reviewing Kreo sets in my YouTube feed I have to shake head with disappointment.

Aww cmon. Most of them are poor design, but there are a couple cool transformers sets for their vehicles. The big optimus set is huge awesome display for truck and trailer. The Starscream set is also a really awesome display jet. I was disapponted by the missing pieces from just about every Kreo set i bought. Ive never had missing pieces from lego sets and always extra pieces.

KiOb4c6l.jpg

My recent polybags pick-up. I love the Hobbit set and pleasantly surprise that the map is printed and not sticker!

I went to LEGO store yesterday and bought $52.00 worth of LEGO to get that Star Wars polybag but the clerk told me that the promotion only apply to Star Wars stuff. Duh! (I bought the new Iron Man set). He then pack up my stuff and throw in the polybag for me anyway. I love LEGO store people.

Top Bottom