• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

Can you get smoke and lights pouring out of the doors of the HQ behind the ECTO-1 coming out of it?

I have done that already, but I want to redo it because it didn't turned out as planned :(

I pretty much figured out I can't have anything moving as it looks like shit and makes it really obvious it's just small scale.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What the fuck. Series 9 is gone already? That's bullshit. Have they always been this short-lived and I just didn't notice?

I hear yea. I saw them in one store. Never Walmart.

So I built the first floor of Grand Emporium last night, at first I thought it was turning out a little plain but then once the canopies and the extremely tedious to build but very cool looking "pillars" are added, it all starts to come together. I also love the revolving door, and the escalator just plain looks cool. While a minifig can't stand on it by themselves they can hold on to the rail and look like they're standing, definitely going to make use of that once I finish and put the figs in.

Will do the second floor today and third tomorrow. Kind of worried they'll be a bit repetitive as they look near identical, but the payoff looks to be worth it.

After doing six hours overtime, I treated myself to a couple of minifigs. On a random selection I got Santa (very welcome - he'll get to pilot one of these space ships), Fortune Teller (who I'm realizing has the perfect hair for a figure I'm building - sorry, Miss) and another crappy space orc.

Was going to buy the Uruk Hai Army as a way to get Eomer, but $76? Hahahahahahahahahahaha no.

After doing six hours overtime, I treated myself to a couple of minifigs. On a random selection I got Santa (very welcome - he'll get to pilot one of these space ships), Fortune Teller (who I'm realizing has the perfect hair for a figure I'm building - sorry, Miss) and another crappy space orc.

Was going to buy the Uruk Hai Army as a way to get Eomer, but $76? Hahahahahahahahahahaha no.

That set definitely only costs thirty, what den of con-men was trying to sell you it for that much?

R-User!

So, Call your local LEGO store if you want Winter Village Cottage for 49.99(50% off!!!), because at that price, the 1,490 pieces drop down to 3.2cpp!!! :)

Well... that actually makes it more depressing. I might have to go buy more LEGO to cheer me up.

Yes... yes.... I sympathize with this tragedy due to my own past. I think I need helm's deep and arkham to cope. I shall unify them and build Durin's Asylum for the Suicidally Greedy.

I already buy too many legos to cope with stress. I can't afford to do this, there are cheaper ways to evade depression.

maybe just helm's deep....

Yes... yes.... I sympathize with this tragedy due to my own past. I think I need helm's deep and arkham to cope. I shall unify them and build Durin's Asylum for the Suicidally Greedy.

I already buy too many legos to cope with stress. I can't afford to do this, there are cheaper ways to evade depression.

maybe just helm's deep....

LOL i like your idea... Batman's Deep for the mentally Heroic would be pretty neat as well ;)

Either way, Arkham is on my must buy list too this year, Helm's Deep ehh still lukewarm on that set, maybe on a huge discount, it just doesn't look as great on display than Arkham imo!

I'm in the midst of a night of shooting video footage for the ghostbusters cuusoo promo video. I borrowed a friends 60D camera and have been playing around with it and some dry ice. Here's some test footage, shot at 60fps and played back at 30fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfXasIPa354&feature=youtu.be

Nice! My preference would be the smoke flow from the front to back car or from behind passenger side of car toward camera. Also, not sure how, but would be nicer if the smoke level was more even. in the shot. I understand it was test footage, just adding my two cents. Great work!

LOL i like your idea... Batman's Deep for the mentally Heroic would be pretty neat as well ;)

Either way, Arkham is on my must buy list too this year, Helm's Deep ehh still lukewarm on that set, maybe on a huge discount, it just doesn't look as great on display than Arkham imo!

Oh, I check amazon warehouse deals constantly, hoping to find helm's deep for cheap. I can't bring myself to pay fulll price right now.

And another vintage set since I'm aching to get going on the new stuff once it gets here.

Ebtkpuv.jpg

This one actually has a bit of a story to it. I don't remember how I got it, but I distinctly remember my after school activity center having it as well. With me being one of the older kids there at that point, and knowing the set from home, I was tasked with building it. I was rewarded with icecream or something, in a display of raw favoritism. Anyway, at some point I had an argument with another kid and he specifically tore it down just to get at me. Not that I cared much.

Luckily I have most of the parts still around, including the Shell logo that I never took apart. The smaller logos are gone since long, since they spanned several useful bricks. I did have all the other printed pieces, and only three of the minifigs, a car window and a single round brick was missing.

I'm a bit confused though. There must have been a set of random stickers at some point, because I've added doctor stickers to the shop windows, some airport sticker to one of the pillars and police stickers all over. Also, I'm pretty sure I followed the piece count from Bricklink but there's lots of stuff left over...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
^ I have that set. I love the hinge aspect to it. I have a feeling my Shell logo is also intact but most lucky flaking away (some old stickers seem to do this). Luckily it should be easy enough to replicate if needs be.

Katoki

Those red guardrails bring back the most memories for me, not that I've had this set or anything. They're just so distinct to me from reuse in other creations.

its fascinating how much LEGO has changed/evolved and progressed in all these years, yet the basic bricks are still the same.
with lots of new ones since of course.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The most obvious thing is the vehicles. Compare them to the "Smartcar" from a few years back and those look completely amateurish.

And then you compare them to the limo from the Palace Cinema and you realise things are the same today as they've always been teehee.

I found it rather interesting how this set has some SNOT going on for many of the signs. There's also some detailing that is a bit more than necessary, like the washing station to the back left.

Of course, I didn't care about the blatant corporate marketing at that time. When did Lego change from using Shell to their own madeup brand?

jet1911

I don't have the Z-95 so can't comment on that, but if I had to pick between the TIE Fighter and the X-wing I'd go for the X-wing. Both of them are great, but I enjoyed building the X-wing more.

That's assuming you have no interest in the 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter that's coming out in May.

That's way out of my price range, I think I 'll get the X-wing. :)

I was at Renaud Bray (a bit like B&N in the US) today and saw some old Lego Atlantis and Toy Story 3 sets. I almost bought the TS3 one.

My least favorite of the Monster Fighters kits. Put the money toward the HH, or if you want a train, put it towards the Horizon Express or the upcoming Lone Ranger train.
From God's mouth to our ears. I never bought Ghost Train, but will wholeheartedly recommend Horizon Express. So awesome.

But still. Smart thing is put it towards Haunted House. A godly set. Well, ungodly technically.

Katoki

Hoping Pet Shop is exponentially more fun than Grand Emporium. GE was so mind numbing besides for the small things like the toy house, chandelier, and the clear roof to name the ones I can think of. Getting to those parts of the build were so rewarding. Loved the first floor pillars though but they were crazy repetitive with small parts.

Now... I need to find a place to put it without worrying too much about dust.

Ponn

Banned
ugh...I know I shouldn't get it. I get a couple ghosts with HH which I plan on getting. There's just something about that train that keeps me coming back to it. It just looks cool to me. I guess I have these ideas for a halloween scene that even have me considering the Crazy Scientist set.

Has anyone here tried using a LED light set with the castle or HH yet? Is a blacklight preferable, I saw one at walmart for like $20 I could just set behind the sets once setup. I'm also considering getting some tealights or something similar that would give a flickering effect.

Hoping Pet Shop is exponentially more fun than Grand Emporium. GE was so mind numbing besides for the small things like the toy house, chandelier, and the clear roof to name the ones I can think of. Getting to those parts of the build were so rewarding. Loved the first floor pillars though but they were crazy repetitive with small parts.

Now... I need to find a place to put it without worrying too much about dust.
Pet Shop is probably the best balanced of the in print modulars. It looks cool, is hella fun to build, and has neat techniques.

leng jai

There really needs to be another modular in the ilk of the Pet Shop to balance things out a bit. When you put everything together it looks ridiculous to have the Grand Emporium, Town Hall, Fire Brigade and Palace Cinema all next to each other.

freaking awesome!!!

Though i loved your video, i must say, i really would have preferred the actual Ghostbusters theme song ;) but this is so great overall, i already told a couple of my friends to vote for it as well, hope it goes through!!

wetwired

freaking awesome!!!

Though i loved your video, i must say, i really would have preferred the actual Ghostbusters theme song ;) but this is so great overall, i already told a couple of my friends to vote for it as well, hope it goes through!!

Yeah I was torn between using the whole Ghostbusters song or the Cleanin up the town song, I ended up going with the later because I wanted to kinda replicate the original scene with ecto-1 being revealed in the movie.

This scene

Top Bottom