• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

neonglow

Here's my March pickups. Except for the Goblin King set, all my sets were of the smaller variety. Each one of these sets was bought during a sale of some sort. My Walmart had the Goblin King set on clearance for $50 for some reason. With that and Barrel Escape, I'm almost done finishing up the Hobbit collection. Just need to find the Warg set on sale.

I only got the Iron Man 3 set for the War Machine figure. The boat is just meh. One nice thing about it is that the flick missiles are nicely hidden and the mechanism to fire them resulted in launching them the furthest of any other set.

The Turtle sets are alright. The minifigures are great and I love Baxter's mech and hand firing features. The Stealth Shell set was a disappointment and overpriced. Unless you want Fishface, you can skip the set. You can get Raphael in the Baxter set.

I managed to get every 2013 "Great Vehicles" set. At $20 each, they're one of the best values you can get our of a set, price per brick wise.

I got the Galaxy Squad sets since I wanted to build giant bugs. I'm in the process of building the Star Slicer set now.

RobbieNick

Found two old sets in my closet I never knew I had. Star Wars Jedi Duel 2 and 3 I think. (Luke giving himself up and The Emperor with Darth Vader). They worth anything or should I just open them up?

ghostmind

Found two old sets in my closet I never knew I had. Star Wars Jedi Duel 2 and 3 I think. (Luke giving himself up and The Emperor with Darth Vader). They worth anything or should I just open them up?

If it is Final Duel I and II (7200 and 7201), then they are worth about $20 to $30 each.

Here's my March pickups.

Nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed building Pre-Vizsla's fighter and the Z-95. The minifigs are fantastic, and I have to be honest, Pre-Vizsla's ship really steals my display now. Looks AWESOME set up.

NWGFhYt.jpg

Um let's see... We've got batman, superman, wonder woman, and aquaman right now. We need at least one green lantern and flash for sure. The team is usually 7 people, so rounding it out would mean choosing from classic team members like martian manhunter, black canary, and green arrow, or going with cyborg because he's currently the dude who rounds out the team in the actual comic. IDK who they're proposing to use in the film.

I'd really love to have the avengers too, but at this point I'm near-ready to give up on ever liking a meaningful portion of the sets marvel releases. It' s constantly "I like your figures but not the set itself, not enough for the price tag". Thus I've only got the free promo hulk and a hawkeye a friend gave me.

As wetwired mentioned, the premium price may be worth it on BrickLink (eBay you may get lucky on an auction, but prices tend to be higher than Bricklink).

The alternative is to buy the set and sell it without the minifigures. Not sure which route is cheaper especially if you can get a set on a good sale.

I only got the Iron Man 3 set for the War Machine figure. The boat is just meh. One nice thing about it is that the flick missiles are nicely hidden and the mechanism to fire them resulted in launching them the furthest of any other set.

I got the Galaxy Squad sets since I wanted to build giant bugs. I'm in the process of building the Star Slicer set now.

Haha, whenever I see the Iron Man 3 set with War Machine, I just see Iron Man and War Machine and am ready to buy it. I never notice any boat.

Besides the lime green pieces, 70702 - Warp Stinger, has a lot of nice pieces. Lots of the 1x2 brackets and "inverted" 1x2 brackets. That set has the best of the robot sidekicks IMO too.

ghostmind

Nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed building Pre-Vizsla's fighter and the Z-95. The minifigs are fantastic, and I have to be honest, Pre-Vizsla's ship really steals my display now. Looks AWESOME set up.

NWGFhYt.jpg

Nice collection you have there. I was totally wrong on my initial assessment of Pre Vizsla's fighter - it's one of the better non-movie ships that LEGO has done.

Nice collection you have there. I was totally wrong on my initial assessment of Pre Vizsla's fighter - it's one of the better non-movie ships that LEGO has done.

Thanks. Steadily growing. It's a crazy addiction; started collecting again in September last year.

Completely agree. Pre Vizsla retails for like $90 out here and I'd never actually seen it in a shop anyway, so I had put it off. Found it online for $65 posted, so that was enough to get me to bite and boy am I glad I did. Ship is amazing with the rotation/folding. And of course;

7688796214_95fcaafff1_z.jpg

So it's been years since I've done anything with Lego and I want to buy my younger brother a kit so that he can experience it for himself. Do you guys recommend anything under 80 dollars? Or any big sales coming up or ongoing? Don't worry about kit size. Any ranges you guys recommend in case I end up buying lots of small stuff?

neonglow

So it's been years since I've done anything with Lego and I want to buy my younger brother a kit so that he can experience it for himself. Do you guys recommend anything under 80 dollars? Or any big sales coming up or ongoing? Don't worry about kit size. Any ranges you guys recommend in case I end up buying lots of small stuff?

There's tons to buy with an $80 limit. Is there any theme/subject he's into?

There's a lot of Star Wars sets you can get like the X-Wing ($60) or the Umbaran MHC ($50).
9493-1.jpg

75013-1.jpg

If he likes animals, the Chima Interceptor is great at $35.
70003-1.jpg

If he's into Super Heroes, the Daily Bugle set is great at $50 or Spider-Cycle Chase at $20
76005_alt2.jpg

76004_alt3.jpg

If he likes ninjas, this Ninjago Samurai Mech at $40 is cool.
9448-1.jpg

There's tons of small Star Wars battle packs for $13 each.
75000_alt1.jpg

75001_alt1.jpg

9488_alt1.jpg

9489_alt1.jpg

He likes Mechs, Star Wars, and Super Heros. That Umbaran MHC(?) looks like something he'd like. Anything similar to that and the super hero set?

Any sets you would recommend I avoid?

Also what is this VIP thing and how does it work?

neonglow

He likes Mechs, Star Wars, and Super Heros. That Umbaran MHC(?) looks like something he'd like. Anything similar to that and the super hero set?

Any sets you would recommend I avoid?

Also what is this VIP thing and how does it work?

There's a Galaxy Squad set for $60 that's a car and mech combo:

70704_alt1.jpg

70704_alt2.jpg

There's also another Galaxy Squad mech for $40, but it won't be out until Summer:

70707-1.jpg

For Super Heroes, there's the Lex Luthor mech with Superman and Wonder Women at $20:

6862-2.jpg

Star Wars has the AT-RT for $20 and comes with Yoda:

75002-1.jpg

There's also the Creator Power Mech that a bunch of us purchased for our MOC contest at $20:

31007_alt3.jpg

Fowler

In the US on holiday. Really looking forward to hitting an actual real proper Lego store. Just annoying how far out of town most stores seem to be -- none are easy for me to get to.

There's supposed to be a store opening in the Fashion Show mall in Vegas right across the street from my hotel... But not until after I leave. Argh!

Ironmask

Just sharing a laugh with you,

i've found this awesome deal on our italian craiglist

for just 100€

18cca25088cddfe214ad82009c6272d5_big.jpg

:D:D:D:D

i've sent two emails from different accounts and he replied with two different prepaid cards data. I faked to do the transaction and asked him to send the package to a police department near his residence. Hope he'll deliver some lol to post.

Also today i've received my Quinjet, not the previous mentioned, but another one who was sold for 40€ complete of all the minifigs :p:p:p

Can't wait to go home and build it!!!!

hmmblah

Working on my double VIP shopping cart right now...quick question.

Can you get the AAA battery pack (88000) for horizion express instead of buying the rechargeable pack and transformer (8878 + 8887). The battery pack is only $12.99 whereas the rechargeable pack and transformer are $75.

Also, you can get an additonal 1.5% cashback from lego if you use ebates.

Edit: Oh boy...ordered the following:

Palace Cinema (10232)
VW T1 Camper Van (10220)
Flatbed Truck (60017)
Excavator Transport (4203)
Power Functions Train motor (88002)
Power Functions IR Receiver (8884)
Power Functions AAA battery box (88000)
Cargo Train (7939) Out of Stock (Apr 7)
Power Functions Light (8870) Out of Stock (Apr 19)

Thanks. I ordered it anyway on a hunch, but thanks again for verifying.

Now, wtf am I going to do with my wife when all this arrives. She knew I was getting Palace Cinema, but I told her I may grab a few extras lol.

Once she sees VW Camper in progress, it will all be fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got an email from lego confirming double VIP points in the UK 25th March-8th April.

Do you earn VIP points on something even if you pay for it with VIP points? Have £50 saved up so the Horizon Express would be £30, but I'd want to earn the full points on it - would pay full price if necessary and hold off on redeeming for UCS X-Wing.

BTW, any news on any May 4th promos? or confirmation that the UCS X-wing will be out by then?

got an email from lego confirming double VIP points in the UK 25th March-8th April.

Do you earn VIP points on something even if you pay for it with VIP points? Have £50 saved up so the Horizon Express would be £30, but I'd want to earn the full points on it - would pay full price if necessary and hold off on redeeming for UCS X-Wing.

BTW, any news on any May 4th promos? or confirmation that the UCS X-wing will be out by then?

You earn VIP points on the amount you spend after the VIP points are deducted. So if you spent $50 in VIP points, and $100 cash, then you only get VIP for the $100 worth.

Sonic Boom is out for delivery.

My work day will last forever, I know it.

Please post impressions once you build it. It has been so long since I built it, and am wanting to hear others' impressions of it. It is so neat to see a few people getting a set that has been OOP for so long.

DJ_Lae

Please post impressions once you build it. It has been so long since I built it, and am wanting to hear others' impressions of it. It is so neat to see a few people getting a set that has been OOP for so long.

I will absolutely post impressions. It looks like the Wolverine's chopper set as well as the little construction hauler are also out for delivery.

Currently I think my favourite Creator set to build is the cool cruiser, particularly the F1 variant. Sonic boom's alternate builds look kind of weak but man does the jet itself look fantastic.

I will absolutely post impressions. It looks like the Wolverine's chopper set as well as the little construction hauler are also out for delivery.

Currently I think my favourite Creator set to build is the cool cruiser, particularly the F1 variant. Sonic boom's alternate builds look kind of weak but man does the jet itself look fantastic.

The speed boat build in Sonic Boom is pretty damn cool though. At least try that one at some point.

ghostmind

pPdB4Js.jpg

Help Superman stop the Kryptonians from taking over the town!
The Black Zero Dropship features adjustable wings, a large rotating underside cannon, dual shooters, an opening cockpit, storage bays and a weapon's rack.
The Offroader features a cannon with a rotating base and dual flick missiles.
Switch between flight and landing modes.
Includes 5 minifigures: Superman, Colonel Hardy, General Zod, Faora and Tor-An.

With the better pictures/details, my interest is piqued. This may be a good set.

Dragoshi1

I wanted to post pics of my collection until now.

Tzw4SOy.jpg

rKjuc8H.png

NUsqOlE.png

pGG0NzK.png

Legends of Chima
Crawley's Claw Ripper
Razcal's Glider
Razar's Chi Raider
Boulder Bowling

Star Wars
AT-RT
Umbaran HMC
Young Han Solo w/DVD

DINO
T-Rex Hunter
Ambush Attack

Galaxy Squad
Space Swarmer
Star Slicer

Minifigures
Roman Emperor
Battle Mech

City
Fire Truck
High Speed Chase
Some small construction vehicle(from rack in front of Target registers)

Superheroes
Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Creator
Log Cabin

Ninjago
Zane and White Dragon

---------------------

Still on the lookout for the other DINO sets, and Chima has become my personal favorite set now. I also may get the other Creator houses, like Tree House as they come out/as I find them.

Ainaurdur

I just realized, the double points promo is running...

I am going to be in NYC next week visiting my brother, was planning on visiting the Shop in Rockefeller. I can't spend too much!

Luckily for my wallet, I would have to keep in mind that if I buy anything, it has to fit in my backpack for the flight home. ;)

Might just try to do a PaB cup. Have never gotten one before.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Double VIP and I have £15 in points at the mo. Unless a catalogue comes I think I'll order the VW online.

IronRinn

IronRinn Is Bad At Feeling Up Minifigure Bags continues:

Need the following:

Policeman
Battle Mech
Heroic Knight

Have the following to trade:

Mr. Good & Evil (x3)
Alien Avenger (x2)
Plumber
Hollywood Starlet
Mermaid (x2)
Judge
Chicken Suit Guy

Please, help put an end to my misery!

The first of my Middle-earth shopping spree arrived, the actual sets. Adding these to my Bag End, my collection now looks like this:

6im9ahG.jpg

I put together one stand to fit them all... at least so I hope. Incoming are the rest of the Fellowship, the missing dwarves and Eomer. A bit annoyed at the second Bricklink seller, the loose figures should be here by now as I ordered them as the same time as the heavier sets.

Found Y-Wing for about 40 euros out in the wild.

Now this set never really tackled my fancy, so i need opinions on it since i have never really seen it on sale so far hmmm Yay or Nay?

Pyrogeek

Found Y-Wing for about 40 euros out in the wild.

Now this set never really tackled my fancy, so i need opinions on it since i have never really seen it on sale so far hmmm Yay or Nay?

I just received and finished building this on Saturday. Big Yay for me. It was a fun build, looks great, and the exclusive mini-figures that the post above mentioned are great!

Ok looks like i'm gonna have to go grab it then, my new hope collection nears completion slowly but surely i will then have:

Y-Wing, X-Wing, A-Wing and Tie Fighter (empire side obviously)

B-Wing is too rich for my blood though hmmm

neonglow

Build two of my Galaxy Squad bug sets. Iron Man and War Machine are assisting in the fight. I really like small blue buggy that comes with the Star Slicer set.

MrDaravon

Thanks. Steadily growing. It's a crazy addiction; started collecting again in September last year.

Completely agree. Pre Vizsla retails for like $90 out here and I'd never actually seen it in a shop anyway, so I had put it off. Found it online for $65 posted, so that was enough to get me to bite and boy am I glad I did. Ship is amazing with the rotation/folding. And of course;

7688796214_95fcaafff1_z.jpg

I'm really not a fan of that ship, but god DAMN that minifig is amazing. I will need to look into this.

Also I'm about to toss my SSD up for sale tonight in the B/S/T thread, if anyone wants it first hit me up!

Edit: Just that minifig by itself seems to go for about $20. Considering the set itself seems to be only $40 (at least on lego.com) not sure how I'd pick that up then.

Cheese and crackers, I just spent a cool grand at the LEGO store today. I had a $100 LEGO gift card and $400 worth of gift cards redeemed from my credit card rewards. Even minus that, I still dropped $500 in one shot! The $100 gained in VIP points today gives me a grand total of $285 in VIP points that will probably go toward the UCS X-wing in a couple of months. Today's haul:

Palace Cinema
Town Hall
UCS R2-D2 (PB convinced me on this one)
LEGO City Police Station (the Forest Ranger one)
LEGO City Gas Truck
Friends Vet Hospital
Star Wars A-wing (again, thanks to PB and virtually everyone else here raving about it!)
6 large green base plates
2 mini-figs (mermaid and knight)

My wife wasn't too impressed that I brought more LEGO into the house, but she'll absolutely love helping me put together Palace Cinema and Town Hall as she's enjoyed previous modulars. Nobody touches R2 but me though. Nobody...

MrDaravon

Cheese and crackers, I just spent a cool grand at the LEGO store today. I had a $100 LEGO gift card and $400 worth of gift cards redeemed from my credit card rewards. Even minus that, I still dropped $500 in one shot! The $100 gained in VIP points today gives me a grand total of $285 in VIP points that will probably go toward the UCS X-wing in a couple of months. Today's haul:

Palace Cinema
Town Hall
LEGO City Gas Truck
Friends Vet Hospital
Star Wars A-wing (again, thanks to PB and virtually everyone else here raving about it!)

My wife wasn't too impressed that I brought more LEGO into the house, but she'll absolutely love helping me put together Palace Cinema and Town Hall as she's enjoyed previous modulars. Nobody touches R2 but me though. Nobody...

R2 is an amazing build, definitely one of the best I've done personally.

If any of you have a Kmart nearby, check it out. My local one is having a decent sale (10-20% off) on all of its City, Ninja Turtle, and Chima Legos. It also has Olivia's House for about $52 and a couple clearance things. I picked up the Stealth Shell and the Alien Mothership for $43 total, will probably go back to get some more. :)

Palace Cinema
Town Hall
LEGO City Gas Truck
Friends Vet Hospital

Or else pizza will send out for you.

But enjoy the builds. R2 is the best of that haul. You are in for a great time.

Trying VERY hard not to drive to the store this weekend and get Arkham during double VIP. But having just snagged Sith Fury and going on vacation next week, I should not spend money. Must save for May 4th! Must stick to the plan of B Wing and X Wing on same day.

DJ_Lae

Sonic boom was a lot of fun to build - quicker than I expected, though. And bigger. I knew the dimensions going in but it still ended up being quite large. The engines are neat too, though the trigger mechanism doesn't work 100% of the time.

Also like how pushing that forward results in the rear cockpit opening.

I have no real spot for it at the moment so it's sitting on my printer.

iuT3OVbNmLKAQ.jpg

And as with anything Lego I build, my daughter immediately wanted to play with it.

ioLZtVNqULGKn.jpg

Top Bottom