• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

After spending time in this thread my desk at work is starting to draw a lot of attention, haha

xLszMve.jpg

hey at that tumbler looks familiar :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
hey at that tumbler looks familiar :)
Haha yep! Funnily enough it was finding your instructions online and doing some bricklinking to put it together that brought me here! I did thank you in the thread a while ago :) so many people at my work love it, it's awesome. Hopefully will add your Ecto-1 to go beside it sometime!

You are JUST NOW BUYING IT?!

I was always put off by the price, but it being on sale at Wal Mart and the recent glut of people here gushing on it made me cave in.

Just finished building it as well. AWESOME set. Everyone gushing about it was absolutely correct. And it is indeed super swooshable as many have said. I would say second in swooshability behind Quinjet.

And dem wings. Seriously cool construction on them.

So what's the consensus on An Unexpected Gathering? Wasn't too keen on it at first but it's growing on me.

Get it. The build is cool (Ghostmind top 5 set of the year), and looks fantastic once done.

lingiii

Banned
So what's the consensus on An Unexpected Gathering? Wasn't too keen on it at first but it's growing on me.

Add me to the list of friends that really like it! It's got some great details, and looks good displayed.

Care whenever you enter this thread: remember our words: Building Dreams, Demolishing Wallets.

leng jai

Indeed. I don't think I've ever asked about a set in this thread and been discouraged to buy it. The bigger problem is actually finding the space to display everything. At the moment I've trying to find a layout for:

Palace Cinema
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
Town Hall
Winter Village Cottage
Attack on Weathertop
Mini Modulars
T1 Camper Van
Imperial Flagship
Medieval Market Village
2005 Tumbler
Sith Fury Class Interceptor

:O

Indeed. I don't think I've ever asked about a set in this thread and been discouraged to buy it. The bigger problem is actually finding the space to display everything. At the moment I've trying to find a layout for:

While we never discourage anyone from buying sets, there are ones that almost everyone gushes about.

I was always put off by the price, but it being on sale at Wal Mart and the recent glut of people here gushing on it made me cave in.

Just finished building it as well. AWESOME set. Everyone gushing about it was absolutely correct. And it is indeed super swooshable as many have said. I would say second in swooshability behind Quinjet.

I have to rebuild the wing sections today. (I think my daughter put it together wrong, she did most of the wings section) and it was pretty confusing going backward. It is a really nice set and probably one of the best. The price is high for what you get but during the sale it's not bad, for about $70.00 I think it's well worth it. Here pictures I took after redoing the wing section for those not convince that this is one of the better Star Wars ship release last year.

sA4Ot2Zl.jpg

4TiIyHKl.jpg

Here is another Sith's ship that sort of over price. I got it on clearance so was a little bit easier to swallow. The front is annoying and I wish it latch down. I also don't like the probe droid gimmick.

Qkn7fzPl.jpg

Get it. The build is cool (Ghostmind top 5 set of the year), and looks fantastic once done.

Well I'm glad you have joined us. It's a really great set...I've yet to take mine apart since I put it together, it's just too slick. Hope they produce more ships of that quality.

Welcome to the club!

Well I'm glad you have joined us. It's a really great set...I've yet to take mine apart since I put it together, it's just too slick. Hope they produce more ships of that quality.

Been swooshing it around some, and it is very nice. If my wife sees it I will explain how I built it using parts from the TIE Fighter and some other stuff. That is mostly true. There were only a few parts I didnt already have in my collection.

My only real complaint about the set is that all the weight is in the wings, and the middle is pretty hollow. It makes it awkward to hold and swoosh, because I fear I will grip too hard and it will shatter in my hand. That is one thing I loved about the Quinjet, the center was balanced and incredibly solid to hold and swoosh.

However, the wings on the Sith Fury put the Quinjet and many other ships to shame. So complex and gorgeous.

While we never discourage anyone from buying sets, there are ones that almost everyone gushes about.

I will. I think that the creator set for the last moc contest is terrible.

Now...I may be biased because I built the Lex mech right before it, but I absolutely hated the robot. I similarly dislike most of the City stuff and wasn't really a big fan of the Y Wing.

That all being said, everybody go buy pretty much every other set. Go. I'll wait here.

Now...I may be biased because I built the Lex mech right before it, but I absolutely hated the robot. I similarly dislike most of the City stuff and wasn't really a big fan of the Y Wing.

That all being said, everybody go buy pretty much every other set. Go. I'll wait here.

Nooooo!

However, I can understand being biased to a mech after building Lex's Power Armor.
If you liked it, go grab Kai's Fire Mech. It is under $10 and a very cool lil set. Not as cool as Lex, but still cool.

Ironmask

I agree with you, but i think that with this set LEGO wasn't focused on the set itself, but on the amount and coherence of pieces given. (like a building set)

other lame sets? almost every scenary set of any movie tie-in (with notable exception of the 90$ range sets and DAT LONE RANGER SETS!!!!), they just sells you the minifigs!

oh about movie sets, you guys are really terrible :mad:
I've bought the Quinjet for 40$ (minifigs excluded). You guys were so happy with your purchase, and i admit that just looking at the instructions gives me some good vibes...

Ironmask

ok i need your help :)

this guy in my city is selling this sets without minifigs at a good price (i'll be saving on spedition costs at the end). I think that i'm good with the quinjet but lately you're talking so well about weathertop and my birthday is this saturday :):):):)

is it worth for construction satisfacion/bricks included?

Lotr: 9472

also
Harry potter 4758 (hogsworth's train)

any consideration?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm the same, but thats fine. There are still tons of sets that are fantastic.

and if the next moc contest uses the eagle set, its impossible not to like that.

this guy in my city is selling this sets without minifigs at a good price (i'll be saving on spedition costs at the end). I think that i'm good with the quinjet but lately you're talking so well about weathertop and my birthday is this saturday :):):):)

also

any consideration?

I wouldn't get Weathertop without the figs. It's nowhere near iconic enough, it looks like a portable gas stove. The minifigs are the main point of the licensed sets, so only buy a loose set if you want double the scenery pieces to improve a complete one.

An Unexpected Gathering works well without figs though, especially with Gandalf Arrives added. But that's the only Middle-earth set that stands alone, imo.

notsol337

marked forever
I now have set 30240: Z-95 Headhunter which is a minikit and it's awesome! It's going to sit next to the larger Z-95 Headhunter.

Also, add me in for the love of An Unexpected Gathering. It was a really awesome build, the minifigs are awesome, and having Gandalf walk up to a terrified-looking Bilbo is just great.

Ironmask

An Unexpected Gathering works well without figs though, especially with Gandalf Arrives added. But that's the only Middle-earth set that stands alone, imo.

yes that's what i wanted to know, rarely it happens that a tie-in set is worth without minifig, just for the building experience (Unexpected Gathering,Quinjet and surely the next Lone Ranger's Train and Couch)

also

any consideration?

As neat of a build as Weathertop is, it is the figures that complete it. Otherwise it is just a small block of stone and steps. Adding in Aragorn and the Nazgul is what makes it complete.

As for Hogwart's Express: eh. It is a decent looking set. Not as nice as the 4841 version from 2010. But at least you would get a train chassis.

also

any consideration?

Weathertop as a build was meh for me. It has great pieces though for MOCs, all are very reusable. I would base value of set without minifigs purely on value of the pieces to you for MOCs.

Vyer

thelegomoviesmall.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101851

The LEGO Movie, for which you can see the new title treatment above (click it for a larger version), opens in theaters February 7, 2014. The 3D computer animated adventure tells the story of Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared.

The LEGO Movie stars Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie and Morgan Freeman as the voices of the animated characters. The film is directed by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) from their original screenplay, and story by Dan Hageman & Kevin Hageman and Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, based on LEGO construction toys. It will incorporate some of the LEGO world�s most popular figures while introducing several new characters, inviting fans who have enjoyed the brand�s innovative toys and hugely popular video games for generations to experience their visually unique LEGO world as never seen before.

The contest:

Using only LEGO bricks and non-licensed LEGO minifigures, contestants will select a character and set their action sequence in one of their favorite LEGO worlds, such as LEGO City, Space, Pirates, Western, Vikings, Dino, Castle, and others. After building and recording their LEGO designs, they will upload the video to YouTube, and bookmark it on the ReBrick.com Building Challenge page, where it will be open for voting from the entire ReBrick membership. The 25 videos earning the most "Likes" will ultimately be reviewed for creativity, originality, theme and suitability for the film by a panel of judges, including Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, writers/directors of The LEGO Movie.

The Grand Prize winner will receive a trip for two to Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California, for a VIP Tour; a meeting with the directors, to participate in a LEGO build; an exclusive LEGO film camera designed and built by the official LEGO model shop; plus souvenir items from the movie's set, signed by the designers. His or her winning entry may also be edited into the film's big battle sequence. Second and third place winners will also be honored, as well as winners of bi-weekly prizes selected during the challenge's six-week run, for a range of additional prizes, including tickets to the Studio's tour, The LEGO Movie merchandise, a $200 gift card for the Studio's online store, and a feature spot on The Official LEGO Channel on YouTube.

All entrants must be at least 16 years old and be registered on the LEGO fansite ReBrick.com. Submissions will be accepted from March 25, 2013, at 9:00 A.M., until May 6, 2013, at 8:59 A.M., EDT. Videos must be between 15-30 seconds and be captured using a camera that is at least 3.2 megapixels, and framed to fit within a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Submissions must contain only LEGO elements and figures with no customized parts, must follow the ReBrick House Rules, and must be suitable for children

rallaren

Finished the crazy scientist set. I like the car and the light mechanic is pretty cool. Funny minifigs. I already got one of them in the Hearse set unfortunately. Great theme as a whole.

9M79IA5.jpg

story of Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared.
Ooh! The(/Some?) kids will love this. Depends on the character I guess.

Are these the points you only get from the Club Lego store? Can I get any other points from the sets? Like register a code or something? Haven't seen anything.

you collect VIP points when being a VIP member and buying stuff directly at lego
it's effectively a 5% discount that you can use on other sets later on.

jet1911

I received the Creator jet! Can't start building it today though. :(

I looked at the instruction manual, looks like it'll be a fun build.

R-User!

Do people here that use set numbers without descriptions memorize those set numbers?

That would be really difficult to do the more sets that you buy I would think... 0_o

R-User!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it isn't being produced in "limited" quantities any more. It is still in high demand but it's quite readily available.

No worries, but when I hear that my local B&N got 2 last year on their first shipment, then 10 on their second shipment, then, now, months after the holidays they are finally getting a 3rd shipment but of only 6, as well as hearing that the local Lego Store will only be getting 12 on Monday with a limit of 2 per VIP card, it leads me to think that the Minecraft set is still being distributed on a "batch-by-batch" basis. Which makes it seem like once B&N and Lego online and in store sell through that there will be a shortage until the next batch is distributed which makes the risk of not getting one if/when Lego decides to stop sending out the batches all the more likely... :)

That's why I thought it was wise to stress to people that want it to get it now while they still can instead of presuming that more sets will be on the way at some point... This set is a unique venture for Lego at this point and who knows when they would stop producing the set, right? =/

No worries, but when I hear that my local B&N got 2 last year on their first shipment, then 10 on their second shipment, then, now, months after the holidays they are finally getting a 3rd shipment but of only 6, as well as hearing that the local Lego Store will only be getting 12 on Monday with a limit of 2 per VIP card, it leads me to think that the Minecraft set is still being distributed on a "batch-by-batch" basis. Which makes it seem like once B&N and Lego online and in store sell through that there will be a shortage until the next batch is distributed which makes the risk of not getting one if/when Lego decides to stop sending out the batches all the more likely... :)

That's why I thought it was wise to stress to people that want it to get it now while they still can instead of presuming that more sets will be on the way at some point... This set is a unique venture for Lego at this point and who knows when they would stop producing the set, right? =/

All good points. I wonder if different stores stock it based on demand?

Around here Lasting Toys routinely gets orders of 100+.

DJ_Lae

I received the Creator jet! Can't start building it today though. :(

I looked at the instruction manual, looks like it'll be a fun build.

Mine's not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday at the earliest. I did, however, read this review and absolutely cannot wait. I want to build that thing, pick it up in one hand, and run back and forth across my entire basement making airplane sounds.

Mine's not scheduled to arrive until Tuesday at the earliest. I did, however, read this review and absolutely cannot wait. I want to build that thing, pick it up in one hand, and run back and forth across my entire basement making airplane sounds.
You left out an important part: all while holding the lever that makes the engines light up.

DJ_Lae

You left out an important part: all while holding the lever that makes the engines light up.

Yeah, I did forget that. I hope it's not as hard to press both lights at once as that review suggests, the pieces that trigger the lights are off center a bit.

Thing is by far the most gorgeous Creator set I've seen, though.

MisterNoisy

I find myself addicted to the City series lately, particularly the more mundane ones like the Garbage Truck, Flatbed Truck and Tanker Truck - they're well-designed, 15-minute builds that are perfect for killing time during a slow period at the office and look good displayed together (I've got a little traffic jam at my desk at the office). I wish they'd make more non-Police/Fire stuff in that line, since I've pretty much bought everything that's under $40 in the series. A pack of little cars like the ones that come with City Garage would be perfect. :/

R-User!

All good points. I wonder if different stores stock it based on demand?

Around here Lasting Toys routinely gets orders of 100+.

That does make sense since its a Toy store, but if you don't have a location providing you that flexibility, then your at the mercy of the Internet or your local resellers/speculators, or just the equation of where good/bad timing and your local areas demand. Either way, if you want the set, no sense in waiting for sale prices on a potentially hard to find set in the future since its "only" 35 dollars for 480ish pieces, which is a good deal in comparison to the .10 cents per piece being the average-ish price of LEGO. I think...

R-User!

Any help Harry Potter with the Picup app?! Im not sure how to set up the app to upload to MY imgur account... The app doesn't really explain anything about how to do it... Any help here would be appreciated! :)

Any help Harry Potter with the Picup app?! Im not sure how to set up the app to upload to MY imgur account... The app doesn't really explain anything about how to do it... Any help here would be appreciated! :)

Ahh my bad, I must have misunderstood you. I'm not sure how, or if you can link it to an imugr account. I just use it to upload photos from my phone and if I want to go back to those photos I've uploaded the link is still there in the history.

Yeah, I did forget that. I hope it's not as hard to press both lights at once as that review suggests, the pieces that trigger the lights are off center a bit.

Reading that review, I want to rebuild it now. But I think the parts are in a few MOCs. Also tempted to tear down Mocs and rebuild Tower Bridge.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Can be a bit fiddly but you work it out. I think the swing wing fast flyers (?) might be my preferred lego jet though. Swing wing F14 style

RKQzcrd.png

Yum

Top Bottom