• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Damn, the quinjet is cheap on amazon. $53 right now.

So all jokes about BUYING EVERYTHING aside, I'm trying to figure out what I actually want to spend my money on, if anything. This post is mostly me thinking aloud but input is obviously welcome.

I've got a double VIP promo in progress (If I remember correctly) and a 10 percent off coupon from a catalog if I go to a lego store, with the added bonus of buying some minifigs and doing pickabrick. I've also got $20 in VIP points (almost up to another $5) but I'm kind of tempted to save up for another year and then buy something ultra-discounted.

If I buy shit on amazon, I get to use 10 dollars of credit i have, along with, in some cases, lower base prices.

I also have like 20 bucks in a change jar. Emotionally, this feels like play money. It's a habit I've gotten into over the last couple years- when I was buying more comics, the amount of change I saved up is what determined my graphic novel budget. I'll roll it up and take it to the bank to deposit if it gets too large an amount, but currently I have the option of using this to take the edge off any purchase without negatively affecting my (admittedly a little flexible) budget. I know it's real money, but "Will I hate myself after I buy this?" is a legit question. Buyers' Remorse is no fun, and this money exists in an odd bubble of stupidity outside my instincts to be stingy, so should I decide to use it, it's a discount from the perspective of my decision making.

So I've got to think about, what can I afford to spend? where am I buying it? what will actually be satisfying to build, put on display, and sporadically goof around with as I walk past the shelf? Is my guilt-and-shame threshold lower than my can-actually-afford-it threshold?

I'm waiting on the tiny superhero sets (mr freeze, bane, maybe venom, maybe iron man/war machine) til much later.
(I already have lex luthor vs superman). It's a wonderful mercy that the man of steel sets are utter disappointments. Fewer things to be sad over.

Haunted house, arkham, and modulars are definitely too rich for my blood right now.

For some reason, helm's deep seems a lot more palatable as a purchase despite the fact that it's not actually that much cheaper than the bigger sets above. Part of it is probably because my family encourages the lotr/hobbit interest. Part of it is also because I'm slightly afraid of it going away when the next wave of lotr sets happens. What's dumb is that if I bought it I'd also probably turn around and buy uruk-hai army within a month..... Oh, lego, you bastards, you know how to use licensed goods to manipulate consumers.

helm's deep would be 106 on amazon (116 price tag -10 credit), then ~86 after the coin jar. lego store: 130 -10% -$10 future vip money - coin jar=87

I kind of feel the same way about moria- torn between how interested I am and what I think I'd consider the value to be if it weren't a lotr set. Also, it's $10 below retail on amazon. This is still slightly in the "praying it shows up for even less on amazon warehouse" category, I think. lego store cost: 80-8 - a future 5 and change gives us about 67 net cost. Net costs to me: 60 vs 67. After the non-discount: 40 vs 47

Unexpected gathering- amazon price of 61 right now minus the 10 amazon credit is 51, or a lego store price of 70 -7 (for coupon) - 5 and change in future savings from vip points for 58 dollars net cost. If i spend my change, that's a perceived price of 31 vs 38.

Goblin king- would only even consider it because it's 25% off on amazon. It would half be out of actual interest and half because I'd like to build other shit out of these pieces. Definitely would only ever buy this at the steepest of discounts. 65 after my gift card. 45 after the emotion-driven change jar non-discount. Fuck that's cheap.

Smaller shit: Uruk-hai army (Which I could maybe buy w/o helm's deep I guess), barrel escape, orc forge. These will probably be bought for myself as self-pity presents sooner or later. JUST BARELY beyond impulse-buy pricepoints unless I'm in a mood for making bad decisions.

'Riddles for the ring' looks disappointing as fuck as the resident mini-set when compared to 'gandalf arrives'. Is that a correct assessment? I already have shelob's set for gollum and can get bilbo elsewhere.

Another option is save all my cash til June and buy the 4 wave 2 sets all at the same time. This sounds fucking awesome, but the fear that the old LotR sets would die out at the same time is still strong. I can totally wait several months and do this later. It's also possible I'll get something like the black gate set on my bday.

Other shit to think about: LEGO store coupon expires. vip points as discounts is accounting BS and not real savings. Amazon credit does not, but sales may run end. Amazon warehouse exists and it's nice to dream. I don't actually need any of these things. Eventually, lego will release orthanc and I'll buy it because I'm retarded like that and I will vomit with self-disgust at my weakness.

I plan to go to the lego store regardless. It's an excuse to go someplace. I want minifigures and pickabrick cups, ideally with shit for nature scenery. Just not sure what else, if anything, I'll buy

Why the hell did I type this much? Why the hell are you still reading this?

In conclusion, materialism is suffering and I've lost my mind. Let's go become monks. No, your lego-induced vow of poverty does not count.

MrDaravon

Hey, thought I would throw this out here before putting it up in the Buy/Sell thread; anyone interested in buying an only once built and broken down SSD? Been thinking about selling it for a bit since we have quite literally no where to put it, and some stuff came up and short-term we could reallllly use the cash. Any stickers that came with the set would have been used (but I think the only one was for the name plate?) and none of the "extra" pieces would be included, but it would come with all of the pieces and minifigs. Thinking $300 shipped if you're okay with just the pieces and manual (pieces are in ~12 big ziploc bags) or $320 shipped if you want the box which is enormous. Was bought new by me in a smoke and animal free home, and I have 100% feedback on ebay, GAF, CAG. Let me know!

I don't see why they couldn't have thrown in Han and Chewbacca with the Skiff.

I'd have to look, but are they coming with the Sail Barge maybe?

ghostmind

Courtesy of GRogall on Eurobricks:

N6xeeYj.jpg

Damn, the quinjet is cheap on amazon. $53 right now.

So all jokes about BUYING EVERYTHING aside, I'm trying to figure out what I actually want to spend my money on, if anything. This post is mostly me thinking aloud but input is obviously welcome.

I've got a double VIP promo in progress (If I remember correctly) and a 10 percent off coupon from a catalog if I go to a lego store, with the added bonus of buying some minifigs and doing pickabrick. I've also got $20 in VIP points (almost up to another $5) but I'm kind of tempted to save up for another year and then buy something ultra-discounted.

If I buy shit on amazon, I get to use 10 dollars of credit i have, along with, in some cases, lower base prices.

I also have like 20 bucks in a change jar. Emotionally, this feels like play money. It's a habit I've gotten into over the last couple years- when I was buying more comics, the amount of change I saved up is what determined my graphic novel budget. I'll roll it up and take it to the bank to deposit if it gets too large an amount, but currently I have the option of using this to take the edge off any purchase without negatively affecting my (admittedly a little flexible) budget. I know it's real money, but "Will I hate myself after I buy this?" is a legit question. Buyers' Remorse is no fun, and this money exists in an odd bubble of stupidity outside my instincts to be stingy, so should I decide to use it, it's a discount from the perspective of my decision making.

So I've got to think about, what can I afford to spend? where am I buying it? what will actually be satisfying to build, put on display, and sporadically goof around with as I walk past the shelf? Is my guilt-and-shame threshold lower than my can-actually-afford-it threshold?

I'm waiting on the tiny superhero sets (mr freeze, bane, maybe venom, maybe iron man/war machine) til much later.
(I already have lex luthor vs superman). It's a wonderful mercy that the man of steel sets are utter disappointments. Fewer things to be sad over.

Haunted house, arkham, and modulars are definitely too rich for my blood right now.

For some reason, helm's deep seems a lot more palatable as a purchase despite the fact that it's not actually that much cheaper than the bigger sets above. Part of it is probably because my family encourages the lotr/hobbit interest. Part of it is also because I'm slightly afraid of it going away when the next wave of lotr sets happens. What's dumb is that if I bought it I'd also probably turn around and buy uruk-hai army within a month..... Oh, lego, you bastards, you know how to use licensed goods to manipulate consumers.

helm's deep would be 106 on amazon (116 price tag -10 credit), then ~86 after the coin jar. lego store: 130 -10% -$10 future vip money - coin jar=87

I kind of feel the same way about moria- torn between how interested I am and what I think I'd consider the value to be if it weren't a lotr set. Also, it's $10 below retail on amazon. This is still slightly in the "praying it shows up for even less on amazon warehouse" category, I think. lego store cost: 80-8 - a future 5 and change gives us about 67 net cost. Net costs to me: 60 vs 67. After the non-discount: 40 vs 47

Unexpected gathering- amazon price of 61 right now minus the 10 amazon credit is 51, or a lego store price of 70 -7 (for coupon) - 5 and change in future savings from vip points for 58 dollars net cost. If i spend my change, that's a perceived price of 31 vs 38.

Goblin king- would only even consider it because it's 25% off on amazon. It would half be out of actual interest and half because I'd like to build other shit out of these pieces. Definitely would only ever buy this at the steepest of discounts. 65 after my gift card. 45 after the emotion-driven change jar non-discount. Fuck that's cheap.

Smaller shit: Uruk-hai army (Which I could maybe buy w/o helm's deep I guess), barrel escape, orc forge. These will probably be bought for myself as self-pity presents sooner or later. JUST BARELY beyond impulse-buy pricepoints unless I'm in a mood for making bad decisions.

'Riddles for the ring' looks disappointing as fuck as the resident mini-set when compared to 'gandalf arrives'. Is that a correct assessment? I already have shelob's set for gollum and can get bilbo elsewhere.

Another option is save all my cash til June and buy the 4 wave 2 sets all at the same time. This sounds fucking awesome, but the fear that the old LotR sets would die out at the same time is still strong. I can totally wait several months and do this later. It's also possible I'll get something like the black gate set on my bday.

Other shit to think about: LEGO store coupon expires. vip points as discounts is accounting BS and not real savings. Amazon credit does not, but sales may run end. Amazon warehouse exists and it's nice to dream. I don't actually need any of these things. Eventually, lego will release orthanc and I'll buy it because I'm retarded like that and I will vomit with self-disgust at my weakness.

I plan to go to the lego store regardless. It's an excuse to go someplace. I want minifigures and pickabrick cups, ideally with shit for nature scenery. Just not sure what else, if anything, I'll buy

Why the hell did I type this much? Why the hell are you still reading this?

In conclusion, materialism is suffering and I've lost my mind. Let's go become monks. No, your lego-induced vow of poverty does not count.
Look at it this way: Quinjet for $43 if you use your amazon credit. That is a steal for over 700 pieces and rare mini figures.

And Ghostmind: droooooool at the Galaxy Squad stuff. Droooool.

Look at it this way: Quinjet for $43 if you use your amazon credit. That is a steal for over 700 pieces and rare mini figures.

And Ghostmind: droooooool at the Galaxy Squad stuff. Droooool.

But I've already convinced myself I don't want that one..... I only ever wanted it for the minifigures. I'm sure it's a fun build and very swooshable, but I don't like the looks of it enough to find value in it as a display piece and don't MOC enough to need those pieces. It's the same reason I don't own any marvel sets yet- minifigs I kind of want and vehicles I'm lukewarm on. I'm just not into the licensed ships/vehicles. It's got maybe $20 worth of value in my eyes at this point.

Those galaxy squad sets though, they look pretty cool and I'd buy them if I could afford it. Still sticking to LotR/Hobbit/Modulars/Castle/Select superheroes.

Ponn

Banned
Those galaxy squad sets though, they look pretty cool and I'd buy them if I could afford it. Still sticking to LotR/Hobbit/Modulars/Castle/Select superheroes.

Im pretty much doing same. Dont have enough money to get everything or support multiple themes and im accepting im not going to be able to get complete sets. Im also not planning on MOCing so certain sets like Quinjet dont interest me because im not looking for playsets but display pieces.

Helms Deep is a great display piece and keep in mind you will need room for it to display. My suggestion is to buy sets to compliment it. Since most LOTR sets are similar, rocky grey sets, you can integrate those sets into helms deep and get the figs. You will buy the urak hai set, just accept and i suggest just buying it right along with helms deep. You might even end up getting two for army building, the figs and horse are great and having multiple ballistas look cool. You also may consider the Orc Forge set for extra orcs and you get a light brick. Also the forge may go with the Orthanc set. Another suggestion is buying a single white horse from lego pick a brick, we are getting a gandalf the white fig soon.

Some things you have to get from lego.com like orc forge, arkham and pick a brick. I buy most of my sets from amazon though for several reasons, most times cheaper base prices, AWD deals saving lots of money. Big overall saving for me is no tax and free shipping.

Im pretty much doing same. Dont have enough money to get everything or support multiple themes and im accepting im not going to be able to get complete sets. Im also not planning on MOCing so certain sets like Quinjet dont interest me because im not looking for playsets but display pieces.

Helms Deep is a great display piece and keep in mind you will need room for it to display. My suggestion is to buy sets to compliment it. Since most LOTR sets are similar, rocky grey sets, you can integrate those sets into helms deep and get the figs. You will buy the urak hai set, just accept and i suggest just buying it right along with helms deep. You might even end up getting two for army building, the figs and horse are great and having multiple ballistas look cool. You also may consider the Orc Forge set for extra orcs and you get a light brick. Also the forge may go with the Orthanc set. Another suggestion is buying a single white horse from lego pick a brick, we are getting a gandalf the white fig soon.

Some things you have to get from lego.com like orc forge, arkham and pick a brick. I buy most of my sets from amazon though for several reasons, most times cheaper base prices, AWD deals saving lots of money. Big overall saving for me is no tax and free shipping.
Helms Deep is bigger than anticipated. It needs a lot of depth to display properly. But it does look very nice once done.

Ponn

Banned
Helms Deep is bigger than anticipated. It needs a lot of depth to display properly. But it does look very nice once done.

I had to put mine on my desk because its deep but its also long across when you start adding urak hai set walls. My cat frequently takes up residence inside Helms Deep's walls ala Smaug.

I do imagine buying it with like.... 3 or 4 uruk-hai armies. I have very poorly utilized shelf space right now. I could make room for it lengthwise. How deep is it? The description on shop.lego.com only lists the width and height.

Ponn

Banned
I do imagine buying it with like.... 3 or 4 uruk-hai armies. I have very poorly utilized shelf space right now. I could make room for it lengthwise. How deep is it? The description on shop.lego.com only lists the width and height.

The base wall set I would say you wanna give maybe a foot deep. The variable is the seperate inside chamber piece. You can place that where need be so if you want it to set further back you can or you can just squish it in closer to the gate if you don't have the room. You can also fiddle with the ramp up to the gate to give or take some inches. Generally you want to take it into consideration because you are going to want to display the orc army and ballistas outside the wall.

Heres some crappy pics of mine i posted awhile ago, they may give you an idea

72p4P.jpg

See the room you need in front is sort of variable depending on how big of an army you plan on setting outside.

Xnx6G.jpg

That tower santa is on is the junction between the gate and the wall and the minimum of depth. The chamber/wall piece to the right is seperate and you can have it squished in like that if you have limited space or you could set it back further if you have the room to give yourself a courtyard.

AcXuy.jpg

The ramp hangs over but it is the only thing besides the bit of water that overhangs the front. You could do something with it if you needed the room but since you need some place for the orc army in front you really want to at least accomodate the space for it. I plan on expanding mine a bit once the Gandalf the White figure comes out and I have him coming in for the rescue.

My friends have started asking how I fit this shit in my dorm room. It's a relatively large single. In there I have fire brigade, scorpion pyramid, grand emporium in progress, several smaller lotr/hobbit sets, and a random technic plane. Oh, and vampire castle and the smaller monster fighter sets. It is pretty absurd.

I wonder who would disown me if I bought this.... Girlfriend would... I don't really know. Family would probably disapprove due to the size of it even though they love tiny adorable collectibles in general and heartily approve of the smaller legos that they are aware of me owning. Friends have varyign levels of understanding ranging from "yeah legos are cool but this is a bit insane" to "i understand completely and then some."

Anyone out there enjoy City?

I have been thinking about getting into City - and now with LEGO City Undercover, I really want to.

Where do I start on City? I decided to order

I just have no idea where I want to go from here. I like everything, modulars, monster fighters, superhero
vehicles even

Not going to say money is no object, although if there is a great set for a bit more, I would be willing to get it! Anyone?

Ponn

Banned
Anyone out there enjoy City?

I have been thinking about getting into City - and now with LEGO City Undercover, I really want to.

Where do I start on City? I decided to order

I just have no idea where I want to go from here. I like everything, modulars, monster fighters, superhero
vehicles even

Not going to say money is no object, although if there is a great set for a bit more, I would be willing to get it! Anyone?

Monster Fighters being on the chopping block motivated me. Have not regretted it, can't comment on the HH yet but the Vampyre's Castle was surprisingly awesome build and big set for the price and brick count (they pulled of the size with a small brick count by having alot of big wall pieces but stayed reasonable price so kudos. I also got mine from AWD for $85 which was an awesome price). I have loved all the figs in the sets so far and alot of cheap, small but great sets to get all the figs. My suggestion if you go monster fighters is I totally wrote off the Vampyre's Hearse set but somehow ended up getting it and i'm glad I did. The Hearse is a fun build and looks awesome on display and you get a zombie driver.

Mr Spliff

I have to take a break from buying lego. I have 65 sets presently, just got all the Turtles sets and some batman stuff at Toysrus sale after pillaging Indigo all month with their sale. I'd like to post pics of my collection but everyone else's pics are just so much better and I have a lot of stuff everyone has seen already. Love this thread though and this is my post for the year, back to lurking.

I have to take a break from buying lego. I have 65 sets presently, just got all the Turtles sets and some batman stuff at Toysrus sale after pillaging Indigo all month with their sale. I'd like to post pics of my collection but everyone else's pics are just so much better and I have a lot of stuff everyone has seen already. Love this thread though and this is my post for the year, back to lurking.

no reason not to post your pics ;)
gimme gimme gimme :)

Solution: Give us absurd mashups. Give us master splinter driving the batmobile or something.

Same here but the figs do :(

hoping for a ridiculous price drop...

Yeah I love the minifigs, but I doubt I'll bite even with the current 32% off at Amazon UK. I'll buy cheaper sets for the minifigs
(ordered the Skiff even though I don't think the Skiff itself is all that great)
, but once a set starts to creep towards triple figures I get a nosebleed.

So I've decided to take the plunge into collecting minifigures. What's my best strategy? Should I just grab a few bags to start and not worry about getting duplicates or feel the bags out from the get go?

So I've decided to take the plunge into collecting minifigures. What's my best strategy? Should I just grab a few bags to start and not worry about getting duplicates or feel the bags out from the get go?

I have zero luck finding them near me at a reasonable price, so I buy them from lego directly and just deal with randomness.

The question you asked is a completely personal decision, depending on how much you hate duplicates and enjoy surprise.

I have zero luck finding them near me at a reasonable price, so I buy them from lego directly and just deal with randomness.

The question you asked is a completely personal decision, depending on how much you hate duplicates and enjoy surprise.

I guess I'm not too concerned with dupes. I'll grab a few bags and go from there. We'll see how badly my OCD kicks in.

Man, I'm definitely getting the Red 5 X-Wing, especially as I missed out on the original UCS one, but damn if the dipping wings don't bug the hell out of me =/ At least on display they'll be open.

Ponn

Banned
I like the initial rush of buying my first batch completely random. From then on out it is bag fondling time to finish off the set.

when I was in walmart a couple weeks ago and found series 9 I only had enough to get a couple so I was fondling like crazy. I got some dirty looks from a lady passing by with a cart and a worker nearby stocking shelves.

Aye, but that set doesn't tickle my fancy.

I thought the Jabba's Palace looks pretty good ... I like what I saw when I was at Lego stores and they have the set on display with the Rancor's pit. Why so much hate? I just bought it from Amazon's sale and using up all my points but have yet to built it.

Are you guys saying I should return it? I mainly just buy Star Wars but bought a few of Galaxy Squad (love all the colors, sure nice change of scenery from all the white, brown and gray of Star Wars sets).

R-User!

Yes, we vicariously "live" through others posts of their sets because we remember what it was like when we built those sets... ;)

Post your pics!!! 0_o

:p

I thought the Jabba's Palace looks pretty good ... I like what I saw when I was at Lego stores and they have the set on display with the Rancor's pit. Why so much hate?

Are you guys saying I should return it?

No! If you like it, and you think it's value for money, then that's all that matters! :) I don't dislike the set, it's just that it doesn't have me reaching for my credit card
yet
— that's all.

A tiny image of set 76003 - Battle of Smallville.

pyRYXQD.jpg

Every time one of these new set photograph posts is made all I can think is, "That's not Orthanc!" :(

Also I hope there's a wave 3 of super heroes next year. Don't stop making them until I've got a whole Justice league, dammit. I don't even care if you use weird dudes to make cameos. I'd love to see, like, a 400-600 piece braniac versus some collection of heroes.

Darkseid would be the best thing but I don't see that one happening....

ghostmind

Every time one of these new set photograph posts is made all I can think is, "That's not Orthanc!" :(

Also I hope there's a wave 3 of super heroes next year. Don't stop making them until I've got a whole Justice league, dammit. I don't even care if you use weird dudes to make cameos. I'd love to see, like, a 400-600 piece braniac versus some collection of heroes.

Darkseid would be the best thing but I don't see that one happening....

I'm thinking there will be a few "Thor - The Dark World" sets late this year, and then I can see a few "Captain America - Winter Soldier" sets next spring. We may see a larger selection (5 or 6 kits) for "Guardians of the Galaxy" sets next summer as well.

For DC... I don't know. There are no movies coming out next year, and there may be the JLA movie in 2015, if they can get it together. I would love to see next year bring a bunch of Green Lantern kits, but after the movie flop and the cancellation of the cartoon, I doubt that will happen.

wetwired

who are we missing from the Justice League? Flash and Green Lantern? (I know he was made for SDCC but they fetch over a grand now don't they?)

who are we missing from the Justice League? Flash and Green Lantern? (I know he was made for SDCC but they fetch over a grand now don't they?)

Um let's see... We've got batman, superman, wonder woman, and aquaman right now. We need at least one green lantern and flash for sure. The team is usually 7 people, so rounding it out would mean choosing from classic team members like martian manhunter, black canary, and green arrow, or going with cyborg because he's currently the dude who rounds out the team in the actual comic. IDK who they're proposing to use in the film.

I'd really love to have the avengers too, but at this point I'm near-ready to give up on ever liking a meaningful portion of the sets marvel releases. It' s constantly "I like your figures but not the set itself, not enough for the price tag". Thus I've only got the free promo hulk and a hawkeye a friend gave me.

wetwired

Um let's see... We've got batman, superman, wonder woman, and aquaman right now. We need at least one green lantern and flash for sure. The team is usually 7 people, so rounding it out would mean choosing from classic team members like martian manhunter, black canary, and green arrow, or going with cyborg because he's currently the dude who rounds out the team in the actual comic. IDK who they're proposing to use in the film.

I'd really love to have the avengers too, but at this point I'm near-ready to give up on ever liking a meaningful portion of the sets marvel releases. It' s constantly "I like your figures but not the set itself, not enough for the price tag". Thus I've only got the free promo hulk and a hawkeye a friend gave me.

that's what bricklink is for, just get the minifigs you want

Top Bottom