• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

jet1911

My Lego addiction is back in full force I think :eek:

001_resizezfc10.jpg

003_resize9jcnh.jpg

004_resizepedq2.jpg

005_resizesnf52.jpg

006_resize6terk.jpg

007_resize0gikg.jpg

008_resize5lihd.jpg

The Chase McCain minifig is pretty cool.

ghostmind

Thanks to the Brick Show for the heads-up on this.

9465 (The Zombies) , which was only available from July to October 2012, has tripled in value in less than 6 months. It is now fetching $120+ on eBay.

If you see it at MSRP, and you don't have it - buy it! I don't see it going down in price - rather the opposite.

9465 (The Zombies) , which was only available from July to October 2012, has tripled in value in less than 6 months. It is now fetching $120+ on eBay.

If you see it at MSRP, and you don't have it - buy it! I don't see it going down in price - rather the opposite.
I should have bought 2. Wow.

SERIOUSLY? I coincidentally wound up w a duplicate as a gift. Splendid. Need to learn how to sell things.

edit: or do i wait to see if it goes up?

Sonic Boom is sweet! Another one that got away, but at the rate LEGO is putting out sets I want many more will get away.

pPdB4Js.jpg

With the better pictures/details, my interest is piqued. This may be a good set.

Dat Kryptonian armor! Dat tan jeep (with ugly flick missile thingy in the back)! Superman with bloodshot eyes!

Is that a new hair piece on Faora? Looks like a black version of the spiky hair from the sleepy guy CMF or the tennis player CMF. If so, dat hair!

I think I'll pick up Arkham Asylum with the Double VIP in effect.

That's the set I'm planning on getting too. Was toss up between Arkham Asylum and Haunted House. I'll get Haunted House during double points in fall.

SERIOUSLY? I coincidentally wound up w a duplicate as a gift. Splendid. Need to learn how to sell things.

Do what you feel is right for you, but triple is very impressive to me if you can get that price. Who knows, maybe it could go up more. *shrug*

From Bricklink, current prices of minifigs
$16+ USD for zombie bride
$10 USD for zombie groom
$3+ for zombie driver

Ironmask

I don't know if it'll ever raise more in price, but it'll certainly mantain the price:

• it's well made (cool vehicle, cool building, cool minifigs)
  • It's an exclusive (i think it was available at retail only in specific American and European Key chains)
  • It's the only Lego set ever to contain zombies (ok the zombie driver is available in Vampire's hearse and polybag but still...)
  • High retail price and small sale window means few people decided to buy it instead of something else

Mine is still on the shelf, whenever it's time to box it i regain the consciousness of how beautiful it is.

About Quinjet, yesterday i had only the time to build the cockpit. If the proportions are right, this thing is huge! Also it has nice little touches on the inside and the whole design is really good looking.

Anyone have any Shuttle Expeditions at their Lego Store? I really want to get one and would be willing to pay whatever it would cost to ship + a bit for the effort, and you get double points. I can't believe that it's already ~180 on ebay.

I've been using the BST thread a lot on here. Please let me know!

Katoki

Some of the sets I've been watching on my wish list have been slowly dropping in price. Is it wrong of me to treat it like Steam at this point to eek out a bit more in savings? It sometimes shoots up but still.. so tempting right now.

The really notable ones right now are:
Unexpected Gathering @ $55.58 - Price dropped 17% (was $67.38 when added)
Quinjet @ $53.20 - Price dropped 4% (was $55.97 when added)

Will definitely continue waiting on the Quinjet. I kind of want the figures more than the quinjet itself still yet. I have no place to put a lot of the stuff I decided to build in the last few days.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Will definitely continue waiting on the Quinjet. I kind of want the figures more than the quinjet itself still yet. I have no place to put a lot of the stuff I decided to build in the last few days.
I'm in the same boat. I know it's swooshable, but I don't have room for something that big right now. I can survive without it I feel. I may just pick up smaller sets with the minifigs/Bricklink if I really want them. Seeing as I have £7 in my bank account until I get paid I'll probably wait!

ghostmind

A teaser from one of my favorite new designers, Marcos Bessa:

C8XBnDb.jpg

Can you guess what it is? ;)

According to Marcos, it is from a theme he has not designed for previously, and it will be coming "later this year".

Ironmask

so what is the point of that part? he's asking Wetwired to put down his work? not only it's better made, but he made more effort on advertising it (all that work on photos, special effects etc...)
Also he previously stated that it is still good if the whole concept (lego ghostbuster set) gets a lot of vote, then it'll be up to Lego to decide wich route to go (personally i want thinks of the same quality of the hayabuse, not toned down sets)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's an interesting point. Considering lego will usually adjust the final model anyway (and in the case of minecraft change it completely), so how much difference is needed in a submitted concept to justify a separate inclusion?

And maybe lego should take into account multiple submissions. They will know if supporters are unique or not, so they'll know if eg a ghostbusters theme hits over 10k unique supporters, even though a specific submission doesn't. Then they could approach the main project owners to suggest cooperation etc.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Absolutely. A rising tide lifts all boats, and all that. There's really no reason for people to get upset about competing projects, especially if it results in improvements to the set. The idea that someone could "steal an idea" when it's based on an existing property is strange too. You can't lay claim to the Ghostbusters brand and say that no one else should be allowed to attempt to make the Ecto-1. If you'd created an original MOC and then that got copied, you'd have somewhat more of a justification for being annoyed, this is just someone offering an alternative, sometimes improved, take. If the public decides that they prefer the previous submission then that'd be reflected in the voting.

A teaser from one of my favorite new designers, Marcos Bessa:

C8XBnDb.jpg

Can you guess what it is? ;)

According to Marcos, it is from a theme he has not designed for previously, and it will be coming "later this year".

This begs the question, what themes/sets has he designed? I never remember any designers except Jamie, for the obvious reasons, and Astrid from the palace cinema video because she's kinda cute. I know I've seen several older dudes in the hobbit designer videos but I have no idea what their names were.

ghostmind

This begs the question, what themes/sets has he designed? I never remember any designers except Jamie, for the obvious reasons, and Astrid from the palace cinema video because she's kinda cute. I know I've seen several older dudes in the hobbit designer videos but I have no idea what their names were.

The Batcave, Catwoman Catcycle City Chase, Batwing Battle Over Gotham, Quinjet Aerial Battle (!!!), Captain America's Avenging Cycle, and most recently - Arkham Asylum Breakout.

The Batcave, Catwoman Catcycle City Chase, Batwing Battle Over Gotham, Quinjet Aerial Battle (!!!), Captain America's Avenging Cycle, and most recently - Arkham Asylum Breakout.

Ah. I was very much underwhelmed until you reached arkham. Now I'm excited. That doesn't narrow it down though. Could literally be any theme but super heroes.

.....What if he's the designer for Orthanc? yes I have a one-track lego mind. It's not like we're getting another modular this year. I don't think there's yet another galaxy squad wave coming. Could be a star wars set too, they make those constantly. The year's winter village set? Surprise halloween special for monster fighters (lol i know never happening but i like to dream)? The castle sets for the summer are already shown. The end of the year will bring hobbit wave 2 for desolation of smaug probably. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.

ghostmind

Ah. I was very much underwhelmed until you reached arkham. Now I'm excited. That doesn't narrow it down though. Could literally be any theme but super heroes.

.....What if he's the designer for Orthanc? yes I have a one-track lego mind. It's not like we're getting another modular this year. I don't think there's yet another galaxy squad wave coming. Could be a star wars set too, they make those constantly. The year's winter village set? Surprise halloween special for monster fighters (lol i know never happening but i like to dream)? The castle sets for the summer are already shown. The end of the year will bring hobbit wave 2 for desolation of smaug probably. Wonder how long we'll have to wait.

It's a direct market set - so something from the 10,000 series. It's big.

Possible contenders:

Orthanc
Ewok Village
Sydney Opera House
Winter Village Market
Unknown large set

Fowler

Absolutely. A rising tide lifts all boats, and all that. There's really no reason for people to get upset about competing projects, especially if it results in improvements to the set. The idea that someone could "steal an idea" when it's based on an existing property is strange too. You can't lay claim to the Ghostbusters brand and say that no one else should be allowed to attempt to make the Ecto-1. If you'd created an original MOC and then that got copied, you'd have somewhat more of a justification for being annoyed, this is just someone offering an alternative, sometimes improved, take. If the public decides that they prefer the previous submission then that'd be reflected in the voting.

Exactly. By that article's logic, if I'd posted a Ghostbusters logo first and wrote some details down, I'd have claimed the whole thing and everyone else who wants to make it has to support me, even if my project is rubbish.

Also, I know the Lego designers get the final pass on the final retail product, but it seems from reading the stories of past projects that Lego work with the designer of the set on it. I can only imagine that'd be a great honor for Brent or anyone else to get to work with the pros on actually making a retail product out of a MOC, and if his project is chosen -- why should someone else with a worse idea and less support get any input on the process? Can you imagine if all 9 Ghostbusters set designers were consulting on the final project with Lego?

mrklaw is right tho, there needs to be a way for Cuusoo to manage similar projects. Maybe group them together by theme so you can see all the Zelda projects and Ghostbusters projects in one place? That might encourage people to work on different sets in a theme -- Ecto-1 and the firehouse seem well represented, so maybe someone works on a Marshmallow Man, someone does a UCS Slimer, someone does the hotel ballroom play set, etc. Lego can track a there's popularity easily and also see a wider variety of ideas for sets. I mean, there's so much more to Zelda than Link-Zelda-Ganon but that's all we're getting right now.

Has anyone sold sets through ebay or amazon or something like that before? I'm wondering what the best option would be for a few unopen sets I've accidentally become a speculator on.

ghostmind

I adjusted the brightness and contrast of that "thing" on the left side of the Marcos image I posted:

0JwCOcn.jpg

Those are cheese slopes, on what looks to be a "rock" wall...

Has anyone sold sets through ebay or amazon or something like that before? I'm wondering what the best option would be for a few unopen sets I've accidentally become a speculator on.

Yea, just search for completed auctions on ebay and then price it for around that or a little cheaper. Unopened sets, especially older ones go up in prices in a hurry...it's costly but so fun to buy an unopened older set.

Yea, just search for completed auctions on ebay and then price it for around that or a little cheaper. Unopened sets, especially older ones go up in prices in a hurry...it's costly but so fun to buy an unopened older set.

I have this impression that all the sets with really inflated prices languish on the websites forever. Probably gonna take the slight-underpricing route to guarantee it actually sells.

wetwired

I couldn't disagree more with what that guy has to say, when I first made my tumbler the initial idea spawned from my dissatisfaction with Lego's design from the joker's ice cream set.

Same goes for Ghostbusters, I hadn't seen any truly good designs of ecto-1 so I took it as a challenge, granted halfway through making it Orion Pax brought out his awesome set but his is on a much larger scale than mine. I also took it as a bit of a challenge to try and do something on par with his ecto-1 but at a smaller scale.

I've had numerous people on cuusoo and elsewhere tell me I should make "The Bat" to go along with my Tumblers but to be honest, there's some really good creations already on cuusoo for that and I feel like I couldn't do much better.

As for collaborating on sets, I actually saw C3Brix contact TeeKay about collaborating on their ghostbusters sets which TeeKay wasn't interested in doing. I also felt that my entry was strong enough to stand alone from theirs so why would I want to piggy back on their already established success and why would I want to let someone else take credit for all the work I've put in?

I'm not interested in seeing just a Ghostbusters Lego set on the shelf, I want a damn good one and as far as I'm concerned none of the others on cuusoo were good.

I don't think we should settle for sets like Tumbler vs Joker's Ice Cream Truck or Banes Tumbler vs The Bat, the community has shown that better is possible time and time again.

wetwired

Exactly. By that article's logic, if I'd posted a Ghostbusters logo first and wrote some details down, I'd have claimed the whole thing and everyone else who wants to make it has to support me, even if my project is rubbish.

Also, I know the Lego designers get the final pass on the final retail product, but it seems from reading the stories of past projects that Lego work with the designer of the set on it. I can only imagine that'd be a great honor for Brent or anyone else to get to work with the pros on actually making a retail product out of a MOC, and if his project is chosen -- why should someone else with a worse idea and less support get any input on the process? Can you imagine if all 9 Ghostbusters set designers were consulting on the final project with Lego?

mrklaw is right tho, there needs to be a way for Cuusoo to manage similar projects. Maybe group them together by theme so you can see all the Zelda projects and Ghostbusters projects in one place? That might encourage people to work on different sets in a theme -- Ecto-1 and the firehouse seem well represented, so maybe someone works on a Marshmallow Man, someone does a UCS Slimer, someone does the hotel ballroom play set, etc. Lego can track a there's popularity easily and also see a wider variety of ideas for sets. I mean, there's so much more to Zelda than Link-Zelda-Ganon but that's all we're getting right now.

Damn straight. It would be a dream to have a lego set on the shelf that I worked on. And I am working on further additions to my submission. Stay puft. Gatekeeper and the key master.

Damn straight. It would be a dream to have a lego set on the shelf that I worked on. And I am working on further additions to my submission. Stay puft. Gatekeeper and the key master.
Have you tried Aykroyd's twitter to see if he can promote it too? Just thinking of other avenues for promoting it.

I did sign up to twitter to promote it and the Tumbler but I'm not sure I know how to use it properly :/
Add hashtags like #lego and #ghostbusters to the tweet. Also add the names of the celebs like @danaykroyd (or whatever his actual handle is)
I can type more when I get home from work and try and send stuff on there as well. I want this set to become real.

I couldn't disagree more with what that guy has to say, when I first made my tumbler the initial idea spawned from my dissatisfaction with Lego's design from the joker's ice cream set.

Same goes for Ghostbusters, I hadn't seen any truly good designs of ecto-1 so I took it as a challenge, granted halfway through making it Orion Pax brought out his awesome set but his is on a much larger scale than mine. I also took it as a bit of a challenge to try and do something on par with his ecto-1 but at a smaller scale.

I've had numerous people on cuusoo and elsewhere tell me I should make "The Bat" to go along with my Tumblers but to be honest, there's some really good creations already on cuusoo for that and I feel like I couldn't do much better.

As for collaborating on sets, I actually saw C3Brix contact TeeKay about collaborating on their ghostbusters sets which TeeKay wasn't interested in doing. I also felt that my entry was strong enough to stand alone from theirs so why would I want to piggy back on their already established success and why would I want to let someone else take credit for all the work I've put in?

I'm not interested in seeing just a Ghostbusters Lego set on the shelf, I want a damn good one and as far as I'm concerned none of the others on cuusoo were good.

I don't think we should settle for sets like Tumbler vs Joker's Ice Cream Truck or Banes Tumbler vs The Bat, the community has shown that better is possible time and time again.

Spot on mate. We're all behind you. I've been spreading the word as much as I can too. Love what you have going on.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

LEGO GAF, the Star Slicer is $27 at TRU this week. Do I bite or save up for the four awesome Fall Galaxy Squad sets? I have every Galaxy Squad set so far (even multiples of the two polybags) except for it and the Bug Obliterator.

You do get an exclusive Red Alien Buggoid and the Star Slicer itself is pretty cool...

Maybe I should just buy them all!

LEGO GAF, the Star Slicer is $27 at TRU this week. Do I bite or save up for the four awesome Fall Galaxy Squad sets? I have every Galaxy Squad set so far (even multiples of the two polybags) except for it and the Bug Obliterator.

You do get an exclusive Red Alien Buggoid and the Star Slicer itself is pretty cool...

Maybe I should just buy them all!

Think I will break my Galaxy Squad cherry with that. Great price on a TRU exclusive set. BUT NO MORE UNTIL MAY 4TH! I mean it this time! LOL.

Lone Ranger sets are now available to purchase from Walmart at the following link:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=lego+lone+ranger&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=4171

I should have them by the middle of next week.

FYI: the Constitution Train Chase set was also designed by Marcos.

As expected the best value set at moderate price, the stage coach is sold out.

It's an interesting point. Considering lego will usually adjust the final model anyway (and in the case of minecraft change it completely), so how much difference is needed in a submitted concept to justify a separate inclusion?

And maybe lego should take into account multiple submissions. They will know if supporters are unique or not, so they'll know if eg a ghostbusters theme hits over 10k unique supporters, even though a specific submission doesn't. Then they could approach the main project owners to suggest cooperation etc.

wetwired answered this pretty well in an earlier post which I agree with.

My 2 cents. Each entry has it's own take. So since Zelda was rejected, all Zelda/Link entries should be removed? Sure they could pool together which is perfectly OK, but it shouldn't be forced. It's not like you can't vote for both either.

Keep up the good work and I hope you continue to take the high road as you did in the past you did awhile back. People are making a big deal about nothing. It's not like people only have 1 vote to use.

That would be awesome. Is there a black version of the sleepy head hair?

I believe the Superman Smallville set may have one. I zoomed in closely at the box are posted earlier and it definitely looks like it could be. I am excited if it is.

R-User!

That would be awesome. Is there a black version of the sleepy head hair?

Coincidentally, a few posts up, ghostmind posted this...

http://m.neogaf.com/compose.php?do=postreply&t=501106&p=51429717&page=92

...which happens to have... Black Spiky Haired Faora!!! :D

Help Superman stop the Kryptonians from taking over the town!
The Black Zero Dropship features adjustable wings, a large rotating underside cannon, dual shooters, an opening cockpit, storage bays and a weapon's rack.
The Offroader features a cannon with a rotating base and dual flick missiles.
Switch between flight and landing modes.
Includes 5 minifigures: Superman, Colonel Hardy, General Zod, Faora and Tor-An.

Top Bottom