• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

jet1911

I'm jealous.

I bought the A-Wings (great set, a lot of fun to build) and a Series 9 minifig (got the chickenman). I'm still not fixed on which Star Wars set to buy between the X-Wings and the Tie-Fighter. :(

MisterNoisy

I'm jealous.

I bought the A-Wings (great set, a lot of fun to build) and a Series 9 minifig (got the chickenman). I'm still not fixed on which Star Wars set to buy between the X-Wings and the Tie-Fighter. :(

The X-Wing is a great build - nifty techniques and it looks great when complete.

Will post pics tomorrow, but a short review of Bug Obliterator:

Awesome.

The dual mode vehicle is great and tons of fun. The wings on the main ship were really cool to see come together. And were much simpler than I anticipated.

Will give more detailed impressions this weekend, but damn do I need the rest of this series now.

I'm sure your son would like a sizable collection of out of print LEGO when he gets older. Stock up on the Super Hero, TMNT, Galaxy Squad, and a few others that you can look after. He'll thank you later.

For my kids, there's MY LEGO and there is their LEGO.

I've got plenty of the Super Hero sets but mainly Star Wars for me. I can't stand the TMNT sets.

I'm still undecided whether he will be able to play with my Lego when he's older or not. For now he just has Duplo.

wetwired

I thought I'd share a couple of photos I took while during the ghostbusters video in case anyone was interested how I did it.

setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

I also finally opened all my pending sets, TMNT, Batman etc and took a comparison photo of the Tumblers as well as played around with those custom trench coats I got a while back that someone here posted.

Tumbler Comparison by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Bane Jacket by Brent Waller, on Flickr

TDKR by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Movie Raphael by Brent Waller, on Flickr

hmmblah

That tumbler looks completely awful next to yours!

Box 1 of my Double VIP sets arrived yesterday:

T5sL2DP.jpg

I built the Excavator Transport last night. What a disappointment that was. The semi trailer is basically one huge piece and there are far too many stickers.

darknemus

Hi guys, I figured I'd ask here as at least maybe you can give me a pointer on where to go.

I recently acquired a LEGO store display for the LEGO Friends collection (Display is approximately 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot) it has a manual carousel wheel you rotate as well as a lighting fixture inside. Here's a link to what it looks like assembled (not my picture, but its the same item) - http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6840583839_47dc0f7f6f_z.jpg

I was curious as to if anyone knew what the value on something like this might be? Also, it is new (still in its sealed plastic wrapping) and everything appears intact / in good shape. Looks like its a display that Toys R' Us used in Spring, 2012 but like I said this specific one was unused.

Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well so much for willpower :)

Went to the lego store to get horizon express and fill my holiday cup, ended up also buying the A-wing, Y-wing and the lego WiiU game

Still, that's another 400 points towards the new X-Wing - have £70 in VIP points now.

And the guy at the store have me two republic cruisers, so if I build one I have a spare. Starting a bit of a polybag collection now. I have a republic cruiser, bat mobile, Ninjago gold sword and a star destroyer.

Well so much for willpower :)

Went to the lego store to get horizon express and fill my holiday cup, ended up also buying the A-wing, Y-wing and the lego WiiU game

Still, that's another 400 points towards the new X-Wing - have £70 in VIP points now.
Horizon Express. Hell yeah!

And glad to see someone else getting the Y Wing.

Bug Obliterator.

The two main vehicles. Although I dont know if the big bug is a vehicle or a REALLY big bug.

I love the mini figure for the evil bugs. The little antennae are a nice touch.

Prison cocoon for dealing with those troublesome humans.

Without the cocoon on the back.

The big boy. The main ship. DAT ENGINE!

Now, the coolest thing about the set. Push the lower engine on the back...

And the smaller ground vehicle launches. Ready for combat!

The back end lifts up for an adjustable flick missile launcher.

And if a simple pistol is not enough, the Galaxy Squad can also pull off the BFG off the back. DAT GUN!

The main ship after separation.

The main cockpit then slides down into attack position, and the wings spread. All ready to fly around and destroy the bug menace.

I LOVED this set. It combined elements from all the toys I loved as a child. Spaceships, Transformers, and monsters. All rolled into one badass package. The combining of vehicles and how they transform slightly is just too awesome.
The mini figures are great as well, but DAT GUN! Yeah, I am completed hooked on this series now.

This set is normally $80, but is on sale for $64 at Target through the end of the week. Damn good deal for an awesome set. Now to hold off on the Vermin Vaporizer. But I think I shall run to TRU before work to snag Star Slicer while it is 30% off.

Fowler

Made my first ever trip to a Lego store! Went to the one in Disneyland after a long day at the park. Filled up a couple of PAB cups for parts for the map of Westeros I'm planning to build.

So cool to be able to do that and to see all the sets in one place. Such a fun store. Wish I was in the US for longer!

Possible "May the 4th" promo minifig:

Ghostmind had you beat by four hours, Ironmask ;)

I'm with Ghostmind....I'm not really sold on this figure either. What's with the basket thing?

Speaking of Han Solo...the non-Solo figure that comes with the A Wing is amazing. Was expecting to pass it off as another rebel pilot but man, it's up there with those desert Storm Troopers in my book.

sw437.jpg

...hmm....mine isn't a dual face actually. Weird.

ghostmind

The rumor first surfaced in mid-February, but I had some skepticism since we already had multiple Hoth Han's in the past.

I'm not as impressed with it as last year's TC-14, but free is free.

ghostmind

Score! Grabbed the last Star Slicer from tru.

Great review of the Obliterator... now you understand my passion for this theme. The other kits are also brilliant in their own ways. Cannot wait for the summer wave!

EDIT: Noticed that you didn't apply the DSS - are you going to hold off on those?

I thought I'd share a couple of photos I took while during the ghostbusters video in case anyone was interested how I did it.

setup1.jpg

I also finally opened all my pending sets, TMNT, Batman etc and took a comparison photo of the Tumblers as well as played around with those custom trench coats I got a while back that someone here posted.

Tumbler Comparison by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Movie Raphael by Brent Waller, on Flickr

I like seeing how people setup their photos. Always interesting when the photos look so nice and it's done in a kitchen or something.

What did you use to paint the tumbler?

Great Raphael shot.

Bug Obliterator.

The two main vehicles. Although I dont know if the big bug is a vehicle or a REALLY big bug.

I LOVED this set. It combined elements from all the toys I loved as a child. Spaceships, Transformers, and monsters. All rolled into one badass package. The combining of vehicles and how they transform slightly is just too awesome.
The mini figures are great as well, but DAT GUN! Yeah, I am completed hooked on this series now.

This set is normally $80, but is on sale for $64 at Target through the end of the week. Damn good deal for an awesome set. Now to hold off on the Vermin Vaporizer. But I think I shall run to TRU before work to snag Star Slicer while it is 30% off.

No love for the Warp Stinger? It is on sale at Target too, but only 20%.

Bug Obliterator and the pricier Galaxy Squad are low on my list only because something had to go. Will get them if I can find them on a good clearance sale or something. Bug Obliterator is the only set that has Ashlee Starstrider. I may have to bricklink her head only as the minifig is pretty pricey. Summer wave doesn't have her.
gs012.jpg

Dreaded Sticker Sheet

Set looks great without stickers, so I didn't use them. X-Wing will be getting all stickers applied since it will always be displayed.

No love for the Warp Stinger? It is on sale at Target too, but only 20%.

Bug Obliterator and the pricier Galaxy Squad are low on my list only because something had to go. Will get them if I can find them on a good clearance sale or something. Bug Obliterator is the only set that has Ashlee Starstrider. I may have to bricklink her head only as the minifig is pretty pricey. Summer wave doesn't have her.
gs012.jpg
Warp Stinger is on the list, but can wait on that one. It is much easier to find.

Also, no takers for the 20% bn coupon? Add it into the bogo sale this weekend and it is a nice discount.

wetwired

I like seeing how people setup their photos. Always interesting when the photos look so nice and it's done in a kitchen or something.

What did you use to paint the tumbler?

Great Raphael shot.

The green light came from a green plastic cup over the top of a flashlight torch :p

I used vinyl dye to paint the tumbler.

The only problem with making raph like that is his hat is only balanced on, it falls off with the slightest of touch.

I really like it though and I may even put raph like that in the ikea frame when I put the TMNT one together

The green light came from a green plastic cup over the top of a flashlight torch :p

I used vinyl dye to paint the tumbler.

The only problem with making raph like that is his hat is only balanced on, it falls off with the slightest of touch.

I really like it though and I may even put raph like that in the ikea frame when I put the TMNT one together
LOVE the Raph pic. Sad about the hat though.

ghostmind

How do you go about getting him?

Last year, in order to get TC-14, you had to spend $75 on Star Wars theme sets. It was only available May 4th and 5th originally, but they brought it back again with the debut of the UCS B-wing (you got a TC-14 if you bought the B-wing).

Rumor has it that this Hoth Han will also require $75 in SW sets, so at this point I would assume that it would only be available on May 4th and 5th again.

Also, if you recall, last May we also got the Hulk minifig promo with a $50 purchase (of any theme) for the last two weeks of the month. I am wondering if this year will bring something similar... we'll find out in the next week or so, once the May calendar is released.

ghostmind

Set looks great without stickers, so I didn't use them. X-Wing will be getting all stickers applied since it will always be displayed.

It does look great without them, and your photos have me second-guessing my choice to apply them to the Bug Obliterator and Vermin Vaporizer. Hmm...

Last year, in order to get TC-14, you had to spend $75 on Star Wars theme sets. It was only available May 4th and 5th originally, but they brought it back again with the debut of the UCS B-wing (you got a TC-14 if you bought the B-wing).

Rumor has it that this Hoth Han will also require $75 in SW sets, so at this point I would assume that it would only be available on May 4th and 5th again.

Also, if you recall, last May we also got the Hulk minifig promo with a $50 purchase (of any theme) for the last two weeks of the month. I am wondering if this year will bring something similar... we'll find out in the next week or so, once the May calendar is released.

TC-14 was worth it. Hoth Han not so much. Nice fig, but not making me go out of my way to get it.

Hulk was totally worth it. The entertainment value and enjoyment I've had with it was tremendous. Really hoping for an Iron Man or Superman related promo minifig. Iron Patriot!

It does look great without them, and your photos have me second-guessing my choice to apply them to the Bug Obliterator and Vermin Vaporizer. Hmm...

You can always build without stickers and add later after you compare with the box photos.

EDIT:

Photos of Warp Stinger without stickers.
Stickers definitely add to overall look, but I'm fine without them as I like to reuse pieces and stickers aren't good for reuse. Not too many on Warp Stinger. Mostly on the tail fins and by the stinger.

Poor classic spaceman didn't stand a chance.

Fowler

Sucks, I'm leaving mid-April. Buying the new X-Wing would have given me the Han minifig!

Top Bottom