• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Avixph

7459633344_9dc2830879_b.jpg

A video of the transformation process.
Made by Drakmin on Flickr.

RobbieNick

Actually got a good deal from Toys R' Us for a change. They have thier "Buy one Get one half-off" Deal going on right now, and it seems to include just about everything Lego.

They have Life of George on clearance for $19.99 and it still counts as part of the deal, so I got that along with The Iron Man 3 mini set of Iron Man vs. Mandarin for only $8.50! (Normally, the overpriced $16.99) Also, picked up some bag sets super cheap. Got a Galaxy Quest bag for $3.49 and the cashier halved the $3.99 Lego City boat by mistake. Good deals all around.

R-User!

Just skipping around that video convinced me: I need power functions for trains. Like yesterday. My wife can deal with models, but I think powered trains might push her over the edge. That will be a tough sell.

Get the Constitution.
Wait till day after Thanksgiving or when you put your tree up assuming you do.
Chistmasify your Constitution.
Add Power Functions.
Surprise her when she comes home and have the train circling the bottom of the tree!
Choo Chooooooooo!

Success!

After holidays, transfer power functions into Horizon and have it run around coffee table for a week or two to get it out of your system, and if she likes it just a bit, assure her that the trains are up and running just for a short time a few times a year... So that you can get your train fix... And I wanna see some videos of your cats playing with those moving trains... Put some bag of catnip or something on the last car and watch them reek havoc on the backside of whatever train you think is best suited to amuse yourself! :)

Get the Constitution.
Wait till day after Thanksgiving or when you put your tree up assuming you do.
Chistmasify your Constitution.
Add Power Functions.
Surprise her when she comes home and have the train circling the bottom if the tree!

Success!
Plan to get Constitution just for tracks and train chassis for MOCing. Will powerfy Maersk or Horizon. On a table. Away from kitties. Of course, having it remote controlled near kitties could be fun.

neonglow

Thanks for PhoncipleBone for giving me the 20% coupon. I ended up getting these 2 Friends sets for $30. After the BOGO 50%, 10% Membership Discount, and PhoncipleBone's 20% coupon, I saved about 40%. I always wanted the camper but didn't want to pay full price. Olivia's treehouse should go great with the Creator treehouse coming out later this year.

I also went to Kmart and picked up these 2 city sets on sale. If you manage to spend over $50 this week, Kmart will give you a $5 gift card. The High Speed Chase set was $25 and the Fire Emergency set was $32.

Thanks for PhoncipleBone for giving me the 20% coupon. I ended up getting these 2 Friends sets for $30. After the BOGO 50%, 10% Membership Discount, and PhoncipleBone's 20% coupon, I saved about 40%. I always wanted the camper but didn't want to pay full price. Olivia's treehouse should go great with the Creator treehouse coming out later this year.

I also went to Kmart and picked up these 2 city sets on sale. If you manage to spend over $50 this week, Kmart will give you a $5 gift card. The High Speed Chase set was $25 and the Fire Emergency set was $32.

Good haul. I almost used the coupon to get Vampyre Castle and Olivia's House together. Would have come out to like $115 or so for the pair. Glad the coupon still went to a Friends set. :)

Short review of Star Slicer: meh.

The vehicle is cool and still does that neat separation thing, but some weird flaws in it. Will elaborate when I post pics.

The big bug? Some neat SNOT in the midsection (like, studs on every single side), but just meh in the end. The legs aren't poseable, the arms are barely so, and the head is floppy and looks incomplete. It just feels like a great concept marred by really sloppy execution. Did an intern design this thing?

Feel like I should have spent the same and gotten Warp Stinger. That set always looked better, but the exclusive nature of Star Slicer coupled with it being marked down so much made me bite.

And I can't be the only one that thinks about Cyclops's Gene Splicer move from Marvel vs Capcom when I say Star Slicer. Can I?

neonglow

The vehicle is cool and still does that neat separation thing, but some weird flaws in it. Will elaborate when I post pics.

The big bug? Some neat SNOT in the midsection (like, studs on every single side), but just meh in the end. The legs aren't poseable, the arms are barely so, and the head is floppy and looks incomplete. It just feels like a great concept marred by really sloppy execution. Did an intern design this thing?

Feel like I should have spent the same and gotten Warp Stinger. That set always looked better, but the exclusive nature of Star Slicer coupled with it being marked down so much made me bite.

And I can't be the only one that thinks about Cyclops's Gene Splicer move from Marvel vs Capcom when I say Star Slicer. Can I?

If you're disappointed with the Star Slicer, you'll probably be disappointed with Warp Stinger too. The body/tail isn't poseable without taking pieces off and turning them and the arms are also in a fixed position.

R-User!

You might be actually...
:)
Mainly because Cyk says: "Gene Splice!", not "Gene Splicer!".......
Eh, but close enough I guess. I have those kind of associative thought-triggers based on a similar sounding word, so your not crazy or anything... :p

P.S. did you see my edit? If so, would you put a bag of some catnip with some pin holes in it on one of your trains and record Dem Cats?

Nitemare1

I started the VW Camper Van last night. Loving it so far, but did anyone else notice that when building the engine that the two wheels for the fan belt (the red rubber band) are not lined up. I thought I had done something wrong and went back though but I didn't miss anything and it all fits in the engine compartment anyway. I just seemed a little odd that the small top wheel is in that much further than the bottom big wheel.

I'm just visiting my parents house and found this from my old closet.
mvzz8Xx.jpg

I made it about 15 years ago and I can't believe it's still intact. It's got 4 gears, V6 engine, a differential and a space for Lego Motor. I think I spent a week or two designing and building this...sweet childhood memories.
5hHJt8A.jpg

rallaren

6SVNEHE.jpg

More pieces than I thought while building but great set nonetheless.

It's worth getting for the flames on the batmobile alone! It's heavy and compact. Looks cool. I don't fancy the colors of the Jeep that much but it's ok. The bank was a better build than I anticipated with a nice vault. Now I want the City bank (and all batmobile's) too ! Damn it.

I feel like trying to do a little Lego stop motion video... anyone here have experience with those? What's a good program to use for editing?

I use Frameographer on iOS for shooting the videos. You can take pics a frame at a time, or can set it to do time lapse. After that, you can go back and delete frames you do not want, and adjust the playback speed. In addition to that, there is an onion skin mode that shows a slight overlay of the last frame so you can line things up better, and you can add music directly to the video from the phone/iPod/iPad.
After you are done, it will export the movie at whatever framerate you chose and you can put it on the computer to edit later.

Worth every penny.

mvzz8Xx.jpg

I made it about 15 years ago and I can't believe it's still intact. It's got 4 gears, V6 engine, a differential and a space for Lego Motor. I think I spent a week or two designing and building this...sweet childhood memories.
5hHJt8A.jpg

That is very cool. How old were you when you built it?
My mother has pictures of me as a kid with a big space colony I built. A big, ugly, haphazard colony. My MOCs when I was younger were really bad. Nowhere near as polished as that car you have there.

You took the 4 star wars sets I'm actually interested in that aren't the death star and you put them in one photo. Neogaf stop I've convinced myself I don't want star wars sets this isn't fair.

I know I complain about it all the time, but the SW sets really are too expensive. Once you start it's hard to stop so tread carefully.

I still want the Falcon and the JP/Rancor combo but that's about it from a Star Wars perspective. I'm a fan of the original trilogy but truth be told, before LEGO I'd never have been able to tell you what an A-Wing or Y-Wing even looked like.

On the flip side, all 4 of those ships I posted have some terrific details:

X-Wing: Just a nice build all around. A cool upside down portion and the wing Mechanism is pretty cool. It was my first 500+ piece set since returning to LEGO so it has a special place in my heart.

Tie-Fighter: Awesome display piece with a cool cockpit. I think it's technically impossible to own the X-Wing / Tie Fighter without owning the other. Science.

Y-Wing: A very different build. I thought the ship was pretty lame looking but I nabbed it at a steep discount due to a damaged box. The ship is actually very clever in terms of how it handles the exposed systems. The big chunky fish-like cockpit ends up showing really nicely in contrast with the engines.

A-Wing: This one is honestly the minifigs. The ship is a neat little guy but I didn't find the build especially engaging. The pilot & Ackbar (with coffee cup) are what makes it.

That is very cool. How old were you when you built it?
My mother has pictures of me as a kid with a big space colony I built. A big, ugly, haphazard colony. My MOCs when I was younger were really bad. Nowhere near as polished as that car you have there.

That's awesome. How old were you?

Thanks guys =D I think I was 10 or 11 when I built it. I was really obsessed with Lego as a kid and I gotta admit I still am.

I know I complain about it all the time, but the SW sets really are too expensive. Once you start it's hard to stop so tread carefully.

I still want the Falcon and the JP/Rancor combo but that's about it from a Star Wars perspective. I'm a fan of the original trilogy but truth be told, before LEGO I'd never have been able to tell you what an A-Wing or Y-Wing even looked like.

On the flip side, all 4 of those ships I posted have some terrific details:

X-Wing: Just a nice build all around. A cool upside down portion and the wing Mechanism is pretty cool. It was my first 500+ piece set since returning to LEGO so it has a special place in my heart.

Tie-Fighter: Awesome display piece with a cool cockpit. I think it's technically impossible to own the X-Wing / Tie Fighter without owning the other. Science.

Y-Wing: A very different build. I thought the ship was pretty lame looking but I nabbed it at a steep discount due to a damaged box. The ship is actually very clever in terms of how it handles the exposed systems. The big chunky fish-like cockpit ends up showing really nicely in contrast with the engines.

A-Wing: This one is honestly the minifigs. The ship is a neat little guy but I didn't find the build especially engaging. The pilot & Ackbar (with coffee cup) are what makes it.

Pretty good summation of all the ships. You did leave out how cool the nose on the X-Wing is when you build it. :)

All of these sets are actually priced pretty well compared to their piece count. It is only in the last year with sets like Rancor Pit and Jabba's Palace that we get to the crazy overpricing. The overpricing is what put me off of the Sith Fury for so long, but the recent mark down to $72 at Wal Mart made it a fair price and I had to bite.

R-User!

mvzz8Xx.jpg

5hHJt8A.jpg

That looks cool!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A-Wing is half the price of the others, which are all £50 here in the UK. But it is a very quick build, more in line with the £15 creator sets.

Still, they'll make a nice set to display.

I nearly bought the hoth set for the snowspeeder. I have a white shelf which is currently holding R2 and the X-wing/TIE combo, and fancied putting the snowspeeder on there along with my motorised AT-AT as a little scene. But I think the snowspeeder might be buildable with the parts I already have so I'll check that out first.

Star Slicer:

The full bug. It is rather large and intimidating looking, but feels very flimsy due to the skinny lil legs.

The unadjustable, stick thin legs.

SNOT everywhere! The mid section in particular is neat how all the SNOT works together. Even if the set itself was a disappointment, some neat stuff pulled off in that part. And I have a few of the large green slope pieces now.

The underside of the head. It is just a short technic axle that holds it in, so the head is either all the way down, or all the way back. It flops around and the only adjustable part is the front of the head, which is not that adjustable at all.

Showing the back end of the head. Yes, it is always that exposed.

While the build itself is meh, the figures are great. And I love the gun for the bug here. It is a scorpion, a frying pan, and a small dish piece snapped together. Nice use of different parts.

Now, the human vehicle is pretty cool though.

And it still does the cool separation thing.

Again, the figures are great.

Now here is a puzzling, amateurish move. Why is that gap there? Why did they not just put two 1x2 bricks to close it off? It just looks sloppy as hell.
However, I do like the engines and using the car hood pieces to go over the sides.

The return of my beloved space bazooka piece!

One thing I like about the Galaxy Squad stuff so far, is that the robot figures sure do like to pack extra heat.

Overall: meh. Some decent pieces, but great figures. The lack of almost any poseability is a big turn off. I know the Warp Stinger is not that poseable either, but something about the look of that one seems to be fine without being poseable. Maybe I got really spoiled by the poseability of Shelob and all those Creator sets. Shelob really is a perfect example of how to do a big monster and still have it very playable.

I would say to get this one only if you are a completist.

Dragoshi1

Yeah, Star Slicer I was hoping could hold its body off the ground, and I even tried to see if reversing the legs somehow would allow it to do so, but obviously the body itself is too heavy to hold up the spindly thin legs.

And I also wish it had more movable parts.

I just bought the Chima Wakz' Pack Tracker yesterday.

0067341918956_500X500.jpg

The wheels don't spin if you move it across a table, but they do across something..."thicker", like a couch cushion. Also my first wolf vehicle and wolf minifigs.

I originally was going to go get the Cragger's Command Ship, but it wasn't on sale at Walmart like I thought.

Also got The Hobbit Riddles for the Ring.

14275110_121119103000.jpg

hmmblah

Just skipping around that video convinced me: I need power functions for trains. Like yesterday. My wife can deal with models, but I think powered trains might push her over the edge. That will be a tough sell.

Worst thing I did was buy the passenger train. I still haven't assembled HE, but I do have the power functions for it. And this arrived today:

hSapHgw.jpg

Moar tracks!

Space Swarmer:

SURPRISE! I also snagged one other Galaxy Squad set last night.

The cool, lil bug ship. Really quick build. Good SNOT work. Nice pieces.

Robots still packing heat. But now he has a jet pack! But it may not be enough...

Because the bugs wont stand for the putrescent human race. Nor their robots.

Overall: Perfect set. No stickers. Great figures. Fun build. Great pieces. And all for only $12 at the most.

Want a perfect lil desk piece, stocking stuffer this holiday season, or for the easter basket tomorrow? Want a gateway drug to get into Galaxy Squad? This is it. The little sets like this, Kai's Fire Mech, and Gandalf Arrives almost always win me over. They are tiny, cheap, and have tons of character and are the perfect distillation of their respective themes.

Hello, enormous, cheap box of LEGO!

DSC_0896.jpg

An hour of removing the top layer of pieces and sorting, and I've got this:

DSC_0894.jpg

...and I've managed to clear the top inch or two of the box. Going by the pieces identified so far, it looks like there's a Fast Flyers, a City special transporter, a bulldozer and digger, an A-Wing, some more Star Wars bits, some other cars and planes and God knows what else. It's going to take forever to sort and split off into its constituent sets (as well as pulling out all the Megabloks mixed in!) but it'll be fun :)

Top Bottom