• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
As of October my local LEGO paradise had Toy Shops in stock-I got one for MSRP that month. They're sold out now but said that there's a chance they may secure more and sell them at a nominal mark up.

If that happens I'll let the thread know. I'd be fine with grabbing a couple for the regulars here.

i would be very interested in this. Toy shop is the only one im missing.

I'm thinking both at once. Seems more efficent. What would you reccomend?
I did it simultaneous. Moved pretty fast, but it made some later steps VERY time consuming. Like where the instructions have you place 20 cheese slopes on a piece, then do that x4. Now think of doing it for both towers, and it is x8. You just used minimum of 160 pieces on a single step.

But it is easier than finishing one and a half instruction books then going all the way back to page 1 of book 1 and repeating it all.

FYI, from Thursday to closing Sunday, BN will have all educational toys b1g1 50% off. In store only. It will work on all non Architecture sets. Some stuff is very slightly marked up (only like $1 or so), but most sets are MSRP. You can also stack your member discount on too of that. Also, it would not shock me if a coupon hit this weekend as well for more discounts since it is a holiday weekend.

Vyer

You guys have any more recommendations for display shelves or storage? A few of the bigger expensive sets will go up in our computer room but my little boy needs some sort of solution for all the LEGO we've amassed. I'd like some sort of setup for display and play for his room as well.

ghostmind

Ooooh. Did not know that. I know the collectible mini fig book is coming in may, but did not know they were putting out a new general figure book. Excited now.

dES99x8.png

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minifigure-Year-Visual-History/dp/1465414118

There was a call out from LEGO/the author some time back for people to loan any minifigs that were not in LEGO's archive, so they could be documented for this book.

Beside Star Wars, are the sci-fi space theme not popular with LEGO fans (kids and adults)? I was just looking back at the previous years line and there is a gap between Alien Conquest and the new Galaxy Quest. Also Alien Conquest only last about a year with small release.

Space used to be very popular theme when I was a kid and I know interest change but I am really enjoying the new Galaxy Squad and hoping that the line would last more than a series. It seems to be doing OK if LEGO already have more stuff for later this year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm thinking both at once. Seems more efficent. What would you reccomend?

I did one at a time. Was easier for the part sorting because there are four idential bags in many cases, so that's two per tower (and then some others). so less loose pieces on the table gave more space to work.

Actually I mainly did it like that because my son was going to build the other half, but he got bored and gave up so I finished it off.

I did one tower, both bases, the entire road and top struts, then the second tower. Gave enough time between the two towers that it wasn't too monotonous.

I bought the movie for my son and he loves it to bits. I'm looking after his mini fig for him though as he's only 2 and a bit. :)

I'm sure your son would like a sizable collection of out of print LEGO when he gets older. Stock up on the Super Hero, TMNT, Galaxy Squad, and a few others that you can look after. He'll thank you later.

For my kids, there's MY LEGO and there is their LEGO.

I am remaining strong. Must wait one more month before mega splurge.

I have a members 20% off coupon for BN if anyone wants it. Combine that with the BOGO 50% off deal and it saves a lot. Someone let me know of they want it. Giving the coupon away will stop me from buying anything. Save me!

neonglow

Time lapse of building the engine to Maersk.

Had to cheat on a few steps because pieces were stuck together by stickers. I did not do a video of the cargo cars because it would just be building a simple box.
Took about two and a half hours to get it done from start to finish.

That's very nice to look at. You should add these time lapse videos to Brickset's video reviews section so you can have more people looking at your video.

Beside Star Wars, are the sci-fi space theme not popular with LEGO fans (kids and adults)? I was just looking back at the previous years line and there is a gap between Alien Conquest and the new Galaxy Quest. Also Alien Conquest only last about a year with small release.

Space used to be very popular theme when I was a kid and I know interest change but I am really enjoying the new Galaxy Squad and hoping that the line would last more than a series. It seems to be doing OK if LEGO already have more stuff for later this year.

They just get dwarfed by star wars so heavily that lego doesn't push them as hard.

rallaren

They just get dwarfed by star wars so heavily that lego doesn't push them as hard.
I haven't seen them as related but that's true, both are space themes.

As for Galaxy Quest - I'm not that interested in bug enemies. They don't tickle my fancy. Without the Starship Troopers movie it might have been different.

Space Police is, or was, pretty darn cool though. By the looks of it... I only started with Lego about 2 months ago.

Alien Conquest had a lot of retro sci-fi look to it which I think may not have appealed to kids as much. It did for me as an adult though (not their primary source of sales by a lot). I think Galaxy Squad will appeal a lot more to kids in general. Bright colors, cool space ships and mechs.

What Star Wars also had going for it was it had the cartoon to advertise it constantly plus the LEGO Star Wars games, etc. Ninjago LEGO sets were such a hit because the show was a hit IMO. LEGO tries to cross promote through media such as TV shows and video games now. Unfortunately, I don't think Legends of Chima is doing as well as hoped. Not sure if it's doing OK or poorly though.

Super Heroes also can fill in the gap of sci-fi space a bit too now. It's easy to add flying ships, robots, etc in that theme.

Oh, for god's sake. I am weak. I gave into temptation at Target tonight.

Bug Obliterator GET! Breaking my Galaxy Squad cherry with the biggest set.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. No kill like overkill.

Well done. I look forward to the posts about your complete GS collection within the next couple of weeks.

We're all guilty of overdoing it...I'm buying a lame-ass Star Wars DVD just because I don't have a Vader fig yet.

ghostmind

PhoncipleBone said:
Hi everyone. I'm Phonciple, and I'm a LEGOholic. It's been 30 15 0 days since my last purchase.

LEGO-GAF said:
Hi Phonciple.

We're here for you Phonciple. It'll be all right.

Seriously though - now that you are getting your first taste of GS, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it, including the DSS.

The Mech is my most anticipated set in the series. I almost grabbed the Vermin Vaporizer tonight as well. I can get away with one set by telling my wife it was marked down a lot. Which is the truth.

EDIT: So since I said I was going to take a break until May, I have bought Sith Fury, Unexpected Gathering, Minecraft, Kai's Fire Mech, and Bug Obliterator. Yeah. Nice sabbatical.

Damn you, i didn't get this one when i had the chance, now i feel like i missed out, that DOES look nice all of a sudden :(

I skip that polybag also the first time around but pick it up on a whim and built it at work yesterday during lunch brake when I noticed I got it in my backpack. Building LEGO really help with stressful day.

I really come to enjoy the mini-scale, they have to do so much with so little and it's pretty clever the parts use to make certain shape. The use of clear yellow and clear smoke piece really help giving it nice accents, that said, I don't know if I would recognize it as Batmobile if I didn't know that what it supposed to be. It looks like some random Hotwheel car.

Alien Conquest had a lot of retro sci-fi look to it which I think may not have appealed to kids as much. It did for me as an adult though (not their primary source of sales by a lot). I think Galaxy Squad will appeal a lot more to kids in general. Bright colors, cool space ships and mechs.

What Star Wars also had going for it was it had the cartoon to advertise it constantly plus the LEGO Star Wars games, etc. Ninjago LEGO sets were such a hit because the show was a hit IMO. LEGO tries to cross promote through media such as TV shows and video games now. Unfortunately, I don't think Legends of Chima is doing as well as hoped. Not sure if it's doing OK or poorly though.

Super Heroes also can fill in the gap of sci-fi space a bit too now. It's easy to add flying ships, robots, etc in that theme.

I suppose that is true. Alien Conquest have some nice ship but the flying saucer things is probably just very retro. Galaxy Squad design is also very retro, the cyborg robot sidekick, the spaceship design and alien bugs theme are very 70's style. While I love Star Wars, there is always room for some nice retro original design (not to mention better value for money since you don't have to pay tax to Lucas). I know my son used to be into Bionicles but I don't sense the similar popularity with Hero Factory (name is kind of dumb). I don't know about Chima, it's very colorful but I am not sure animal, magical theme is in with kids these days (my kids are both teen).

The Mech is my most anticipated set in the series. I almost grabbed the Vermin Vaporizer tonight as well. I can get away with one set by telling my wife it was marked down a lot. Which is the truth.

EDIT: So since I said I was going to take a break until May, I have bought Sith Fury, Unexpected Gathering, Minecraft, Kai's Fire Mech, and Bug Obliterator. Yeah. Nice sabbatical.

I guess I should not tell you then that Wal-Mart mark down their Vermin Vaporizer to $40.00. : P

You guys have any more recommendations for display shelves or storage? A few of the bigger expensive sets will go up in our computer room but my little boy needs some sort of solution for all the LEGO we've amassed. I'd like some sort of setup for display and play for his room as well.

When my son was younger we got him this Ikea Trofast shelf that have option to put in plastic tubs. They work great (though the toys on shelves do get really dusty after they are forgotten). He had his LEGO and Mega Blocks along with Hotwheels in there for many years. Actually that is where I found all the old LEGO, it was all kept in these bins when I cleaned out his room last December.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/20474/

In place of bin you can get shelf unit for more display space. It's nice and expandable also. I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it work well for us and make for easy clean up of the room.

Ponn

Banned
You all failed at talking me out of getting the Ghost Train

tems Ordered Price
1 of: LEGO Monster Fighters 9461 The Swamp Creature
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$6.99
1 of: LEGO Monster Fighters 9467 The Ghost Train
Condition: Used - Like New
Sold by: Warehouse Deals, Inc (seller profile)
$53.37

I'm sure you all will have trouble sleeping tonight over this.

All this talk of Galaxy Squad is getting me more into it. I now have 3 sets:

70700-1: Space Swarmer
70701-1: Swarm Interceptor (EDIT: I forgot to mention it's actually 30% of MSRP at Toy R Us of all places)
70702-1: Warp Stinger

I'm currently building Swarm Interceptor and I like the build so far.

Has some interesting pieces like these. Put together they remind me of old pieces from classic space sets, but it has a 1 plate gap when closed fully.

4646513.jpg

4646512.jpg

MisterNoisy

Received and built Police Station today. I think I might be done with City for a little while now. Placed it up with City Garage on a shelf with some traffic rounding a corner in front of it and a bunch of other Police vehicles parked in front.

0XZom49.jpg

LEGO City seems like a terrible place for criminals - the cops are quite numerous and well-equipped:

WhZYf9F.jpg

I wanted to display them along with the Bank and Money Transfer set, but I ran out of room on the shelf, so the bank is on a lower level with the rest of my City cars and trucks.

Top Bottom