• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ironmask

Wife and I just built Unexpected Gathering, we had it for a while now...

What a neat little set, great great display piece and i just loved how it all came together when you put the roof on top in the end :)

Couple pics:

Some time after everyone left, the Avengers decided to give Logan's world famous T-bone steak a try... He's pretty pissed though, seems he underestimated Hulk's appetite:

ahahahah love this set, probably gonna buy it soon :)

...or the Friends' Yacht set, at least this is excusable as a gift for my daughter

Wife and I just built Unexpected Gathering, we had it for a while now...

What a neat little set, great great display piece and i just loved how it all came together when you put the roof on top in the end :)

The roof was when it really came together for me as well. The set was cool, but once you slap that on it goes to divine.

Wonderful pics as well.

ahahahah love this set, probably gonna buy it soon :)

...or the Friends' Yacht set, at least this is excusable as a gift for my daughter

Friends' Yacht will be mine as well. I have a feeling that might turn into a gateway set for many on here. Friends does not get enough love round here.

Felt a bit unfair to geuss as I was working on it at the same time! Just finished it this morning. What an awesome build.

About to start the rebuild now. Let's see if it holds up as much on the second build, because the first time put it in my all time top 5 easily. Truly a magnificent set.

ghostmind

wVYsqIq.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Quick question prompted by WinniePimp's post-

How do you go about cobuilding with your wives,gfs bfs and significant others? Do you ask them them? Suggest the idea or do they just show a natural interest? Then what do you then, one sort one build or turn about etc?

I don't build so much as buy but I don't think we've ever collaborated on a Lego set yet :(

How do you go about cobuilding with your wives,gfs bfs and significant others? Do you ask them them? Suggest the idea or do they just show a natural interest? Then what do you then, one sort one build or turn about etc?

I don't build so much as buy but I don't think we've ever collaborated on a Lego set yet :(

My wife showed a natural interest. We sort the set together, by color. Then we go through the instructions, one person does the left page the other does the right page. Works pretty well.

Barely made a dent in Tower Bridge yesterday. Sooooo many pieces.

Marko723

Neo Member
Attention Canadians!

It might not be as good of a deal as the Chapters Indigo Sale, but PlayValue Toys is having a Lego sale, 20% off everything, and they have some Sonic Booms in stock! Discount is applied once you place the item in the cart.

Link to the sale=> PlayValue Toys

Link to the Sonic Boom ==> Sonic Boom

Ponn

Banned
hmmm no free shipping or double points. To bad, guess i will wait on Arkham then. Maybe i will use these couple months to get HH. Can get that from Amazon free ship and tax free.

What we usually do is we decide on a set to build on a slow Sunday morning, then we each build 2 pages of the manual, while one is building the other is looking for the bricks needed in advance... then we switch roles for the next 2 pages. Oftentimes we get a little "mad" when someone gets to do a really cool part (like the Window in this set for instance) while the other only has tiny things to do but that's just the luck of the draw i suppose ;)

It is a pretty relaxing experience though i also enjoy building for myself, that way you can do it at your pace.

It was her fault the lego thing started to begin with. Bought a basic brick box out of nowhere one day.

As far as the actual process of co-building, I think we generally search together while saying aloud what we've found and then alternate pieces while placing things.

Thanks for posting the flyer Ghostmind.

Looks like there is a grand opening in May near me. How do these usually work? I would love to nab one of the store sets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd forgotten how long sorting can take. Just spent nearly two hours on a first pass sorting a 10 litre box of parts into basic sections (bricks/plates/slopes etc). that was including some breaking down - they'd been put in the box in 'chunks'. Still another same sized box to do, and then a second pass putting them in their proper places.

I also have another, similar size full of technic parts and power miners, but I'm tempted to just box the power miners rig in the loft - too many odd, large prices which are a PITA and won't fit in my system.

Need to sell my sopwith camel too

DJ_Lae

I don't have a lot of Lego at my place here (most of it is still back in my parents' basement along with some other toys) but I realized today just how many helicopters I have built.

ip2Wr24M7Ions.jpg

Still like the Model Team one the best.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
My wife showed a natural interest. We sort the set together, by color. Then we go through the instructions, one person does the left page the other does the right page. Works pretty well.
Aww, but I never sort beforehand anyway, rummaging is the best bit, but it could annoy her :p

Winnie the Pimp said:
It is a pretty relaxing experience though i also enjoy building for myself, that way you can do it at your pace.
I've only ever built by myself (or with my dad when I was younger obv) but I think we'd need a bigger set if we were to do it. I think Pet Shop could be fun because it is two separate builds but also pretty colourful and varied.

It was her fault the lego thing started to begin with. Bought a basic brick box out of nowhere one day.
Goddamn it you hold onto her. She's a keeper :D

just got the Fast Flyer in the post, £18 complete is not too bad. Will try and snap some spics tomorrow.

Also got the Alien Conquest Mothership which I am building tomorrow.

Did I miss the discussion on the Cuusoo Spring review? Here's how I see it going:

Exo Suit: Stands a good chance of passing, not too similar to any theme and provide a good mech to go onto from the Creator or Galaxy Squad mechs.

Google Android: Too many pieces of one colour I think. Don't know if Google would go for it (probably) but I don't see the audience being wide enough for this to be justifiable economically.

Zelda: Doubtful. I don't think Nintendo will go along with this due to the agreement they have elsewhere with a competitor.

Land Rover: Too similar to the Exclusive CO-Creation Model 41999

I wish Lego would start doing high detail buildings of monuments and shit. A modular White House would be sick.

I wonder how well the taj mahal sold. Largest lego ever, and we haven't seen any other massive monument sets since. Oh, wait, sydney opera house is on the list of things we probably will see this year. IDK if it's a normal architecture set or a massive monster of a thing.

edit: oh right tower bridge......

The Sydney Opera House is next up. It'll replace the tower bridge. Hoping they do a much better job than the Architecture line.

Shouldn't be too hard.

I do wonder how they are going to achieve all the curves of it in a huge set and still make it look good. And I wonder who the designer on it is.

Oh my, what's this? I have the standard technic crawler already - will this be a new body or a whole new model? Wouldn't be able to justify another full set but it does look great

Last I read it was a whole thing, not just the body but more info is coming in April.

just got the Fast Flyer in the post, £18 complete is not too bad. Will try and snap some spics tomorrow.

Also got the Alien Conquest Mothership which I am building tomorrow.

I'm slowly retrieving the bits and pieces of Fast Flyers from the massive Box O' LEGO we got, and really looking forward to the build.

The Mothership is fun, though the orbiting outer ring is a bit of a boring section. Really like it, though - feels very big for the price, and it's pretty swooshable :)

I am finally making lettering for the front of my BrickMAX MOC, and am having a lot of trouble making an "M" to put on there. I have done all the letters in the style and approx size of the letters on Grand Emporium (3 studs wide, 4 if there is no other way), and only 1-2 bricks high.

Anyone have any suggestions how to pull this off? I am trying to find ideas online.

EDIT: Cracked it. Now to actually make it all look good on the front of the building.

DOUBLE EDIT:

I wish I had the lil 1x1 with sideways clip pieces to make the BRICK part in yellow or something, but gotta work with what I got.

I am finally making lettering for the front of my BrickMAX MOC, and am having a lot of trouble making an "M" to put on there. I have done all the letters in the style and approx size of the letters on Grand Emporium (3 studs wide, 4 if there is no other way), and only 1-2 bricks high.

That looks bloody fantastic - very impressive work! My only (tiny) suggestion - and you may be limited by the connectors - is to raise the "max" part a little. At the moment you've got the two words on separate baselines on the curve of the logo and it looks a little off.

That looks bloody fantastic - very impressive work! My only (tiny) suggestion - and you may be limited by the connectors - is to raise the "max" part a little. At the moment you've got the two words on separate baselines on the curve of the logo and it looks a little off.
I had played with that issue for awhile. With some tinkering I can probably get the M and A on the same curve, but the X will be tough. I am using a 1x1 brick with stud on the side for the top of the X. There is a small wrench clip piece inside the side stud, which allows me to turn the x at whatever angle I need. I can't get the shape and size of the x right with using small clip plates. Not yet. Some more experimenting will be needed. But the BRICK part came together easily and well. I am particularly fond of the K.

I had played with that issue for awhile. With some tinkering I can probably get the M and A on the same curve, but the X will be tough. I am using a 1x1 brick with stud on the side for the top of the X. There is a small wrench clip piece inside the side stud, which allows me to turn the x at whatever angle I need. I can't get the shape and size of the x right with using small clip plates. Not yet. Some more experimenting will be needed. But the BRICK part came together easily and well. I am particularly fond of the K.

You should be - it looks great :)

The other thing that might be worth trying is to see whether you could extend the "max" upward at all. If you could find a way to "stretch" it upwards, it might help, even if the words are still sitting on separate baselines.

You should be - it looks great :)

The other thing that might be worth trying is to see whether you could extend the "max" upward at all. If you could find a way to "stretch" it upwards, it might help, even if the words are still sitting on separate baselines.

Thought of that as well. Like making the MAX larger letters in general? Shall experiment with that after work as well. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Wish I had the pieces necessary to do the letters in yellow, but would really love if I could make them gold. But sadly, not enough of certain style bricks to even come close to achieving that one.

EDIT: For the X to be totally centered, I would need a red 1x1 brick with studs on all four sides. Have that in other colors, but not red.

Thought of that as well. Like making the MAX larger letters in general? Shall experiment with that after work as well. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Wish I had the pieces necessary to do the letters in yellow, but would really love if I could make them gold. But sadly, not enough of certain style bricks to even come close to achieving that one.

Yeah, that's the idea. I'll fire up a wee sketch in a moment - no idea what bricks to use, mind you!

Yeah, that's the idea. I'll fire up a wee sketch in a moment - no idea what bricks to use, mind you!

Oh, it would be the same bricks. Just that the M would be 4 studs long instead of 3. Just increase every letter by 1. Going to 5 would be really tough to pull off with the M and keep it stable.

Oh, it would be the same bricks. Just that the M would be 4 studs long instead of 3. Just increase every letter by 1. Going to 5 would be really tough to pull off with the M and keep it stable.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. If you can pull off an extension like this (excuse my crappy sketch!) you'd end up with the curve feeling like it runs through the centreline of the text and balance the logo better. What do you think?

BrickMAX.jpg

Top Bottom