• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

gotta protect the money hahaha

On another note, this has to be a April Fools Joke right? Jabba's Palace is anti Islamic? Well Lego said they will stop distributing it 2014 onwards doesn't mean much since it will probably be put OOP by then anyways. Just a little silly I think

Apart from the dateline - 31 March - this was reported on earlier in the year by other papers, so, sadly, it isn't a joke.

ghostmind

Courtesy of Brickset:

mHkwoGo.jpg

Oh this day.

Ironmask

a quick from amazon.co.uk about the Superman theme

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A8LMVU8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bargainwatch-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00A8LMVU8

Lego 76009 - Superman Black Zero Escape Super Heroes - €26.99

Product Features
Includes 3 minifigures and a weapon: Superman™, Lois Lane and General Zod
Features Black Zero ship section and an escape pod
Escape pod features opening cockpit and moveable engine boosters
Black Zero ship section features sliding door, retractable bridge and dual flick missiles
Weapons include a Kryptonian blaster
168 Pieces

Lego 76002 - Metropolis Showdown - € 14.99

76002-1.jpg

Product Features
Includes 2 minifigures: Superman™ and General Zod
Features antenna tower with a catapult, collapse function and a yellow car with easy-to-grab handles
Also includes base with flip and explode functions and mast with antenna and dish
Flip the car into the air with the catapult function!
Collapse the antenna!
119 Pieces

I finished Lego Lord of the Rings today. Quite disappointed by the game, especially it being so buggy. The Lego builds in it are amazing though, and I'm convinced someone out there has made them in real life - I just need to find them. With all the tree stuff I've gotten lately, I'm pretty sure I could get a head start on Treebeard, but it's hard to figure out exactly how he's built. For the balrog, it would need a ton of special wing parts and printed curved bricks. The fel beast is probably a modified dragon body.

I can't really see Lego making mumakils, they would have to be almost AT-AT sized and entirely single-purpose, posable molds. But I'm almost convinced that we'll see some more of this realized, along with more characters.

* Eowyn vs Witch-King - this is a given, you'd get two new characters, the fel beast, probably a Merry in new gear and some random battlefield debris. Eowyn might not be important enough on her own, but this is a very epic scene.

* Gandalf vs the balrog - maybe a little less likely, considering the balrog would need to be rather huge. But it would certainly be a big seller, from what I've seen all balrog merchandise sells out. If the bridge is too big or hard to do right, they could have the mountaintop scene instead.

* Treebeard would be quite appropriate, after all the time they've spent improving their tree builds, and he's got a practical model already. He could come with Pippin and an orc to trample (with Merry already used in another set).

* Faramir - he seems obvious to put in a smaller $15 set with some random trees and another ranger, Madril or a haradrim soldier.

* Arwen (ranger) chase scene - a good way to add one or two more Ringwraiths, problem is that it would need yet another Frodo. Then again it's hard to find Frodo sets that don't include more random cliffs.

* depending on if the big character sets steal the high pricepoints, they may want to do another Helm's Deep type set with Minas Tirith and have army builder sets with orcs and catapults. This could add Gothmog and another Gandalf the White.

I finished Lego Lord of the Rings today. Quite disappointed by the game, especially it being so buggy. The Lego builds in it are amazing though, and I'm convinced someone out there has made them in real life - I just need to find them. With all the tree stuff I've gotten lately, I'm pretty sure I could get a head start on Treebeard, but it's hard to figure out exactly how he's built. For the balrog, it would need a ton of special wing parts and printed curved bricks. The fel beast is probably a modified dragon body.

I can't really see Lego making mumakils, they would have to be almost AT-AT sized and entirely single-purpose, posable molds. But I'm almost convinced that we'll see some more of this realized, along with more characters.

* Eowyn vs Witch-King - this is a given, you'd get two new characters, the fel beast, probably a Merry in new gear and some random battlefield debris. Eowyn might not be important enough on her own, but this is a very epic scene.

* Gandalf vs the balrog - maybe a little less likely, considering the balrog would need to be rather huge. But it would certainly be a big seller, from what I've seen all balrog merchandise sells out. If the bridge is too big or hard to do right, they could have the mountaintop scene instead.

* Treebeard would be quite appropriate, after all the time they've spent improving their tree builds, and he's got a practical model already. He could come with Pippin and an orc to trample (with Merry already used in another set).

* Faramir - he seems obvious to put in a smaller $15 set with some random trees and another ranger, Madril or a haradrim soldier.

* Arwen (ranger) chase scene - a good way to add one or two more Ringwraiths, problem is that it would need yet another Frodo. Then again it's hard to find Frodo sets that don't include more random cliffs.

* depending on if the big character sets steal the high pricepoints, they may want to do another Helm's Deep type set with Minas Tirith and have army builder sets with orcs and catapults. This could add Gothmog and another Gandalf the White.

I kind of hope to see a horribly-not-to-scale brickbuilt mumakil... Ideally at like a 40 or 50 dollar price point with a few rohirrim.

They are insane if they don't eventually make a balrog. I was stunned that it wasn't in the first wave. It seems like a surefire success.

I do hope we get a wave 3 of these next year..... And that orthanc stays in print for like 2 years then is replaced by UCS minas tirith.

Pushing the theme for anyone on the fence. Empty your wallets!
I like the minifigs for the Galaxy Squad sets, but colorful minifigs may not be for everyone

Trojan Basket

Space Marines crossover with Skittles.

neonglow

Eurobricks reviewed the Series 10 Minifigure Collection.

Here's the breakdown of figures in each pack:

8573365793_98966d1be7_o.jpg

2 Librarians
2 Medusa (s)
6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
6 Skydivers
2 Bumblebee Girls
2 Grandpas
4 Paintball Players
2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
2 Trendsetter (s)
4 Decorators
6 Motorcycle Mechanics

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80676

Here's an image with 160 figures:

8595145959_b150d32826_o.jpg

8573365793_98966d1be7_o.jpg

2 Librarians
2 Medusa (s)
6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
6 Skydivers
2 Bumblebee Girls
2 Grandpas
4 Paintball Players
2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
2 Trendsetter (s)
4 Decorators
6 Motorcycle Mechanics

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80676

I don't like the breakdown at all. 6 Skydivers!?! 6 Motorcycle Mechanics? Those are probably the cheaper ones to make, but I seriously doubt those are "army builders". I would have liked to see at least 3 instead of 2 for Medusa, Grandpas, Librarian, Bumblebee Girls, Sea Captains, and possible Trendsetter.

neonglow

I don't like the breakdown at all. 6 Skydivers!?! 6 Motorcycle Mechanics? Those are probably the cheaper ones to make, but I seriously doubt those are "army builders". I would have liked to see at least 3 instead of 2 for Medusa, Grandpas, Librarian, Bumblebee Girls, Sea Captains, and possible Trendsetter.

The reason why Lego is doing the assortment this way is because they sell 30 pack boxes now. There can no longer be an odd number of certain figures in a 60 pack box since it can't be split nicely into a 30 pack box.

The reason why Lego is doing the assortment this way is because they sell 30 pack boxes now. There can no longer be an odd number of certain figures in a 60 pack box since it can't be split nicely into a 30 pack box.

Then cut the mechanics and skydivers to 2 or 4 (or in a perfect world 0) each and have those extra spaces add to the count of interesting figures instead

lingiii

Banned

does this mean I can just buy a 30 pack box and get one of each + dupes?

And if so where do we buy such boxes?

EDIT: Also, regarding the hobbit "attack of the wargs" set, why the hell did we get the other orc that died like a bitch earlier in the film instead of the actual white orc? I guess they're saving him for a later movie's sets....

neonglow

I haven't seen the 30 pack boxes on sale yet, but Amazon.fr usually has the 60 pack boxes for sale. It's only a matter of time before you see the 30 pack boxes on one of Amazon's European sites.

And if so where do we buy such boxes?

EDIT: Also, regarding the hobbit "attack of the wargs" set, why the hell did we get the other orc that died like a bitch earlier in the film instead of the actual white orc? I guess they're saving him for a later movie's sets....

Lego started developing the set before the movie was finalized. That's why you see a bunch of "preview" sets like Barrel Escape and Escape from Mirkwood Spider.

Pushing the theme for anyone on the fence. Empty your wallets!
I like the minifigs for the Galaxy Squad sets, but colorful minifigs may not be for everyone

Trojan Basket

Space Marines crossover with Skittles.

Those are great. I love Galaxy Squad because they are colorful. I love all the color Teams.

On another note, wife got me couple LEGO for my Easter basket. I got Chicken-Man (he is currently being chase by the Kraang from TMNT.

I've just started hearing about these 30 packs, never saw one. So 30 pack will only have 1 full set? I still disagree with their distribution. I wouldn't mind paintballer only being 2. 6 parachuters could easily be 2 or 4 as someone else mentioned. We'll see how things turn out. Bricklink is a decent source as any in demand minifig will have higher prices. Will check out series 9 prices later.

Ironmask

2 Librarians
2 Medusa (s)

6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
6 Skydivers
2 Bumblebee Girls
2 Grandpas

4 Paintball Players
2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
2 Trendsetter (s)
4 Decorators
6 Motorcycle Mechanics

and from the review:
The Mr.Gold craze will likely spark undesired results as It will probably be ripped open or tampered along the long supply chain of TLG and half will probably be gone before these will reach to the shelves for the consumers.

thanks LEGO for ruining the collection fun for everybody....

and from the review:

thanks LEGO for ruining the collection fun for everybody....

I wish breakdown was a little more like this given the requirements for even numbers.

4 Librarians
4 Medusa (s)

6 Roman Commanders
4 Warrior Women
4 Tomahawk Warriors
2 Skydivers
4 Bumblebee Girls
4 Grandpas
2 Paintball Players

2 Sea Captains
4 Sad Clowns
4 Revolutionary Solders
6 Baseball Fielders
4 Trendsetter (s)
4 Decorators
2 Motorcycle Mechanics

It was a toss-up between Sea Captain and Trendsetter to add 2 more. I went with Trendsetter because she had a lot more reusable parts.

Checked bricklink for Series 9 including all accessories and the plastic bubble for CMF is deflating. The rarer minifigs with only 2 per box don't have much of a premium. They are around $1 higher, but the average price of all Series 9 minifig is probably around MSRP in the aftermarket. The 6 per box minifigs are under $3 without any shortage. This probably means LEGO sold tons of Series 9 CMFs and there is plenty of overstock in the aftermarket. This is good for those that can't find them in retail stores as you can get them close to MSRP in aftermarket via BrickLink.

Excellent news there about aftermarket for series 9. I need moreeee space-orcs and such. Got 6 series 9s on the way from lego, since they came back in stock.

Dragoshi1

I love my AT-RT, the legs keep falling off though if I move them too much.

I wish I was this into LEGO when they first released the AT-AT, I would have loved building it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
y-Wing was kind of fun. Three phases to it really:

1 - you start building the core of the ship which is an entirely abstract lump with bits sticking out all over the place. Difficult to see what it'll be at this stage.
2- you build the cockpit. More straightforward, with some nice SNOT for the sides
3- you finish up with the final details and the whole thing comes together really nicely.

It's also a nice looking set when built and sits nicely alongside the other OT ships.

Next up, Horizon Express - probably at the weekend. I've laid a little bit of track next to the Maersk and Emerald Night for it to sit on (hoping its not too long, the shelf it sits on is only long enough for EN or the maersk with one carriage)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lego pricing is odd.

Horizon express is £80 in the UK, $130 in the US. But the new x-wing is £170 in the UK and $200 in the US. I don't understand why lego don't seem to use a stable exchange rate - their haunted house was like that too, disproportionately expensive in the UK.

DJ_Lae

Lego pricing is odd.

Horizon express is £80 in the UK, $130 in the US. But the new x-wing is £170 in the UK and $200 in the US. I don't understand why lego don't seem to use a stable exchange rate - their haunted house was like that too, disproportionately expensive in the UK.

They do this in Canada too.

Markup is generally between 25 and 30% over the US price regardless of the exchange rate (which has effectively been 1:1 for over a year).

I compared a few items and the lowest markup is on the minifigs, oddly enough, only $3.50 compared to $3 in the US.

The bigger sets (SSD and B-Wing) are 'only' 25% marked up.

The worst offenders I found during my cursory look were the modulars (ignoring Town Hall, which is priced higher), all a third more expensive up here.

Lego pricing is odd.

Look at Canada, our dollar is pretty much 1:1 with the american dollar, we are neighbours and yet again we pay a hefty premium just because, new X-Wing is 300$ plus taxes, lol?

RobbieNick

After months of dragging my feet and waiting for the right time when I could afford it, I finally picked up the Hobbit "Unexpected Gathering" (AKA Bag End) set from the Lego store. I put most of it together last night while watching "The Hobbit" on Blu-Ray. Then I finished the roof this morning while watching some of the behind the scenes blogs. (BTW, for some reason this movie is much more watchable on TV than in the theaters for some reason).

I've gotta say, sets like this are the reason I became a Lego fan at the ripe ol' age of 40 (never as a kid which now seems odd). I started getting into it when they had both Marvel and DC sets at the same time. First set built was the Lex Luthor robot. Also, I'm a bit frugal as I won't go over (and usually anywhere near) $99 for any set. It's the peacefulness and tranquility you're in while building and the satisfaction once a nice, detailed piece is done that really draws me in.

Bag End is by far, my favorite set piece yet (the most expensive being the vampire's castle). There's so much detail in it that I really love. The round windows and doors, the plant life scattered around, the little details like the shelves and stove. A really great set.

Unfortunately, now it just makes me want to get the rest of the dwarves and they're in some sets that are just too pricey for me. Plus, I have no room for this stuff.

jet1911

Attention Canadians!

It might not be as good of a deal as the Chapters Indigo Sale, but PlayValue Toys is having a Lego sale, 20% off everything, and they have some Sonic Booms in stock! Discount is applied once you place the item in the cart.

Link to the sale=> PlayValue Toys

Link to the Sonic Boom ==> Sonic Boom

They have some cool Creator sets that seem OOP... My GF will hte me if I order more sets lol

EDIT: Ooooh they have the Tie Defender. :S

Lego pricing is odd.

It's a wonderful system called "what they can get away with because its star wars."

After months of dragging my feet and waiting for the right time when I could afford it, I finally picked up the Hobbit "Unexpected Gathering" (AKA Bag End) set from the Lego store. I put most of it together last night while watching "The Hobbit" on Blu-Ray. Then I finished the roof this morning while watching some of the behind the scenes blogs. (BTW, for some reason this movie is much more watchable on TV than in the theaters for some reason).

I've gotta say, sets like this are the reason I became a Lego fan at the ripe ol' age of 40 (never as a kid which now seems odd). I started getting into it when they had both Marvel and DC sets at the same time. First set built was the Lex Luthor robot. Also, I'm a bit frugal as I won't go over (and usually anywhere near) $99 for any set. It's the peacefulness and tranquility you're in while building and the satisfaction once a nice, detailed piece is done that really draws me in.

Bag End is by far, my favorite set piece yet (the most expensive being the vampire's castle). There's so much detail in it that I really love. The round windows and doors, the plant life scattered around, the little details like the shelves and stove. A really great set.

Unfortunately, now it just makes me want to get the rest of the dwarves and they're in some sets that are just too pricey for me. Plus, I have no room for this stuff.

I hear ya... I became a fan at 34 now ;) It's never too late it seems

Also built Unexpected Gathering the other day, i loved it as well, especially combined with Gandalf Arrives it makes for a nice little vignette!

They have some cool Creator sets that seem OOP... My GF will hte me if I order more sets lol

EDIT: Ooooh they have the Tie Defender. :S

fack, they have series 4 and 5 for 2.49 a bag after discount, I am ordering 15 of each, since I don't have those series and was planing to bricklink them eventually!

The shipping kinda kill the deal though. :(

kind of yeah, but I've been trying to collect them all and I was really late to the party, if you bricklink a whole series it can be 100$ or more, a complete series 1 from brickink will cost you even more.
I was just finished completing series 3 (besides 7, 8 and 9) and was planing to start bricklinking series 4 next month, but screwed it, I bought 15 of each (series 4 and 5) hopefully I don"t get much repeats.

DJ_Lae

The shipping kinda kill the deal though. :(

Yeah I was going to order a couple of sets, but $15 shipping is almost as much as the Lego itself. They have some neat clearance Playmobil too that would be great for my daughter.

Oh well.

Marko723

Neo Member
Lego pricing is odd.

"Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence."

Source ===> Why the US has the lowest LEGO prices

Marko723

Neo Member
Yeah I was going to order a couple of sets, but $15 shipping is almost as much as the Lego itself. They have some neat clearance Playmobil too that would be great for my daughter.

Oh well.

I ordered a few things and wasn't charged PST, only GST. That alone covered off any shipping charges, plus everything I ordered was OOP and much more expensive elsewhere.

Top Bottom