• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

flyingpig

Neo Member
"Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence."

Don't forget VAT and other taxes. US taxes are significantly lower.

Source ===> Why the US has the lowest LEGO prices

Also taxes.

robjoh

"Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence."

So I am supporting the consumers in the US? Thanks for the information Lego.

So I am supporting the consumers in the US? Thanks for the information Lego.

That's what how it read to me on that short paragraph, it essentially said well you guys in Europe don't mind paying higher price so we price it higher (sucker) and we can keep them lower in the US of A. to stay competitive there.

Thanks you Europe and Asia for subsidizing our addition here in the US. (When I was in Thailand a couple months ago, I couldn't believe the price on LEGO there. They are 2 to 3 times as much as US price.

Very minor additions to BrickMAX MOC tonight.

What's that in the window? Is that the projector?

It looks like a projector...

Why, yes it is! But what the hell? I can't see anything with it crammed in that tiny little hallway.

Front of the projector. Only the newest and finest in digital theater technology. Notice the removable hard drive to store the newest and greatest movies released today.

Notice the control panel on the back to control the projector and program in what trailers are played and to start at the appropriate times.

What is that hiding in the corner of the building? Near where there will eventually be a desk for the manager to sit at.

It is a combination safe. Gotta keep that cash safe from all the patrons.

What is that in the small break area? Is that a soda pop machine? FOUR CHOICES!? What better way to keep the employees motivated than loading them up with sugar and caffeine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I understand - fuck you Europe, always been that way. But the price differential isn't consistent. Horizon express is £80/$130. New x-wing is $200 - going by the same price ratio the UK price should be £125, but it is actually £170 - a massive difference.

I understand - fuck you Europe, always been that way. But the price differential isn't consistent. Horizon express is £80/$130. New x-wing is $200 - going by the same price ratio the UK price should be £125, but it is actually £170 - a massive difference.

Yes, that one is "Fuck you extra because star wars is popular and lets us get away with it."

Fxp

Well, I couldn't wait any longer - ordered Volkswagen T1 Camper from Spanish Amazon yesterday. It was only 80 euros + cheap shipping. Cheap Pet Shop is next!

Ironmask

I don't mind if Lego sells higher here in Europe, what i hate the most is when retailers charges up the retail price!!!

Minifigs are 1.90€ standard but usually on north Italy are priced retail for 2.50€ (it's a common). Then some retailers put them from 2.90€ to 3.50€ (that's a 80% mark up!), and for some Lego sets, they charge from 10% to 30% more just because they can.....

...thanks God I have Amazon to satisfy all my needs now!

I'm looking to pick up 'An Unexpected Gathering' and, as a Lego novice, I'm trying to decide where to pick it up from. I'm hoping to save a little money on it. My local Target has it but it's at its normal price. Amazon has it at just over $60 with free shipping so I'd only have to pay tax, which wouldn't be bad. The Lego Shop has it for its normal price and I'd love to get it there due to the VIP membership but the shipping and tax add another $15, which kinda turned me off from grabbing it there.

Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards Amazon but are the benefits of the VIP program something I shouldn't pass up with an expensive purchase like this or are they nothing special and I should just grab it wherever it's cheapest? Also, if this matters, this is going to be only the second set I'm planning to buy since I became interested in the hobby again earlier in the year (picked up The Vampyre Hearse a few months ago).

I always feel sorry for my fellow Lego fans overseas, those prices are stupid! I used to hate the fact they got sets earlier until I learned about the pricing there...=/

I'm looking to pick up 'An Unexpected Gathering' and, as a Lego novice, I'm trying to decide where to pick it up from. I'm hoping to save a little money on it. My local Target has it but it's at its normal price. Amazon has it at just over $60 with free shipping so I'd only have to pay tax, which wouldn't be bad. The Lego Shop has it for its normal price and I'd love to get it there due to the VIP membership but the shipping and tax add another $15, which kinda turned me off from grabbing it there.

Right now, I'm heavily leaning towards Amazon but are the benefits of the VIP program something I shouldn't pass up with an expensive purchase like this or are they nothing special and I should just grab it wherever it's cheapest? Also, if this matters, this is going to be only the second set I'm planning to buy since I became interested in the hobby again earlier in the year (picked up The Vampyre Hearse a few months ago).

I'm assuming you are in the States like myself. I broke down and got an Amazon Chase Credit card. I think I got $50 in Amazon credit too when I signed up. You essentially get an additional 3% off via points when you buy from Amazon. Also, if you get the Red Card, you get up to 5% off via points at Target. As for VIP points, they are just like other points. Consider it 5% off, but now 10% due to double points. After considering shipping, taxes, any other costs, and discounts, bottom line is which is the lowest price and easiest way to get it. Amazon has become one of the top places to get LEGO recently due to the heavy discounts they have on new and older sets if you are lucky enough to catch them. Walmart is pretty good too with Target catching up. Seems like Amazon, Walmart, and Target often have pricing wars which is great for us. TRU actually has decent sales once in awhile on a few sets, but you have to do your homework as most are jacked up well over MSRP.

I typically support my local LEGO store since I get 10% with my Legoland annual pass + VIP points on smaller sets or harder to find (i.e. I am getting Arkham Asylum during double pts). Also, they are really nice. Amazon I try to wait for 20+% discounts for larger sets $40+. But as I said, Walmart and Amazon have been pretty good at price matching each others sales so I've gotten some from Walmart and picked up at the store.

I'm assuming you are in the States like myself. I broke down and got an Amazon Chase Credit card. I think I got $50 in Amazon credit too when I signed up. You essentially get an additional 3% off via points when you buy from Amazon. Also, if you get the Red Card, you get up to 5% off via points at Target. As for VIP points, they are just like other points. Consider it 5% off, but now 10% due to double points. After considering shipping, taxes, any other costs, and discounts, bottom line is which is the lowest price and easiest way to get it. Amazon has become one of the top places to get LEGO recently due to the heavy discounts they have on new and older sets if you are lucky enough to catch them. Walmart is pretty good too with Target catching up. Seems like Amazon, Walmart, and Target often have pricing wars which is great for us. TRU actually has decent sales once in awhile on a few sets, but you have to do your homework as most are jacked up well over MSRP.

I typically support my local LEGO store since I get 10% with my Legoland annual pass + VIP points on smaller sets or harder to find (i.e. I am getting Arkham Asylum during double pts). Also, they are really nice. Amazon I try to wait for 20+% discounts for larger sets $40+. But as I said, Walmart and Amazon have been pretty good at price matching each others sales so I've gotten some from Walmart and picked up at the store.

Thanks for the tips. I think I might go down the Amazon route. I would only save $4 but still, I'm saving something at least. Plus, I'm planning on purchasing it in a couple of weeks so maybe during that time a deal will come up where I can save a bit more.

Visit Yoyo.com and check if the code 'YOYO30A'. Should make it $50 shipped with no tax in most places. I don't think I have seen it lower elsewhere.

chimster

So what is May the 4th all about again? You get discounts on Star Wars or what?

Also: Is that a US exclusive thing?

Star Wars day

There will be some star wars sets that go on sale, and you get a free minifig for spending $75+ on Star Wars lego.

Happens at all lego stores worldwide

Star Wars day

There will be some star wars sets that go on sale, and you get a free minifig for spending $75+ on Star Wars lego.

Happens at all lego stores worldwide

Yeah i got the part about the minfig hmm so only SOME sets go on sale from the SW theme then?

Are they usually good discounts or minor ones that aren't worth the bother compared to Amazon discounts?

chimster

Yeah i got the part about the minfig hmm so only SOME sets go on sale from the SW theme then?

Are they usually good discounts or minor ones that aren't worth the bother compared to Amazon discounts?

The sale was fairly good from what I remember last year. With two of the big star wars sets going on sale (SSD and Imperial Shuttle) which doesn't happen often. But the biggest pull is probably the exclusive minifig

The sale was fairly good from what I remember last year. With two of the big star wars sets going on sale (SSD and Imperial Shuttle) which doesn't happen often. But the biggest pull is probably the exclusive minifig

Thanks for the info... hoping for Death Star and Jabba's Palace to go on sale hmmm, either way Han will be mine!!!

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/...massive-city-of-odan-from-200000-lego-bricks/

mBUEcTh.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I think I might go down the Amazon route. I would only save $4 but still, I'm saving something at least. Plus, I'm planning on purchasing it in a couple of weeks so maybe during that time a deal will come up where I can save a bit more.

If you shop a lot on Amazon, that Amazon credit card is awesome. If you don't abuse your credit and paid it promptly it's earning you free money. I used it for everything, gas, foods, bills and paid them all off at the end of each month. I have gotten "free" Kindle, games and recently several LEGO set from using the cards.

LEGO VIP points are nice and great if you have store nearby. I like to buy from LEGO store because they are nice people and give great service but I usually restrict to hard to find and exclusive items that I can not get elsewhere.

I don't buy bigger LEGO set (especially Star Wars) unless they are 20% off or more. There is no reason to not wait for sale. LEGO are favorites among parents especially during holidays so they go on sale quite often.

Visit Yoyo.com and check if the code 'YOYO30A'. Should make it $50 shipped with no tax in most places. I don't think I have seen it lower elsewhere.

Code didn't work and got charged tax (live in NY). Double oof, haha. Thanks anyway.

I don't buy bigger LEGO set (especially Star Wars) unless they are 20% off or more. There is no reason to not wait for sale. LEGO are favorites among parents especially during holidays so they go on sale quite often.

I'm actually going to wait until the middle of the month. If there's a sale going on at that time, that'd be awesome. If not, might take your advice and just wait for one.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Think i'm gonna go with the Unexpected Journey hobbithole with my double points! UK still hasnt got Galaxy Squad so i'll have to "settle" with this instead :p

still debating with myself if, and if yes, what I should get while double VIP is on offer.
it is starting to feel silly that my wardrobe is filled more with unopened LEGO boxes than with clothes :p

Why.

And lol guys, those sets are too big! If I wasn't upgrading my computer, I'd go bigtime!

Of the recent smaller sets, I like

10230 - Mini Modulars - $80

79003 - Unexpected gathering - Usually available for ~$60.

9493 - X-Wing - Usually available for ~$40-$50.

Upcoming sets (and sets I don't own)

79108 - Stagecoach Escape - $30

70701 - Swarm Interceptor - $20

9394 - Jet Plane (Technic) - $50

21101 - Hayabusa - $50

Why would you do that? Does he think that the "controversy" is going to up the value in the coming months/years?

Controversy?

Of the recent smaller sets, I like

10230 - Mini Modulars - $80

79003 - Unexpected gathering - Usually available for ~$60.

9493 - X-Wing - Usually available for ~$40-$50.

Upcoming sets (and sets I don't own)

79108 - Stagecoach Escape - $30

70701 - Swarm Interceptor - $20

9394 - Jet Plane (Technic) - $50

21101 - Hayabusa - $50

All sweet suggestions, thanks!

Katoki

9493 X-Wing is $44.97 on Amazon right now. Lowest price seems to have been $43.87 on Sept 25, 2012.

I'm so tempted because of the price but I don't really want an X-Wing.

Some Muslim group is claiming that they got the set banned because it resembles the Hagia Sophia and is anti-Islamic. LEGO is saying this is bull and that they always wanted to discontinue the set. (NeoGAF topic)

Did they not notice the architecture of Naboo in Episode 1?

But thanks for letting me know, don't know how I missed that topic!

mojiimbo

Why would you do that? Does he think that the "controversy" is going to up the value in the coming months/years?
It's probably not a single guy. That's just the "in-store pickup" area of a Toys R Us showing all the orders for the set that have been set aside the last day from online orders, no doubt spurred on from all the sensational headlines.

As far as I know the set isn't even getting banned, Lego just clarified that its end of life date would be close to the end of the year which was probably always going to happen.
In recent media coverage there has been a misunderstanding of our plans to stop making the LEGO® Star WarsTM set 9516 Jabba’s PalaceTM at the end of this year. Stopping production of this set is just part of any LEGO set’s normal life-cycle: our Product Developers design new sets every year. They spend their time trying to find new and fun sets that are better every time. The shelves in toy shops aren’t big enough to hold everything so sometimes we have to stop making a few of the older sets. That’s why all our LEGO Star Wars sets are usually only available to buy for one to three years. This is the only reason that we will stop producing 9516 Jabba’s Palace. Don’t worry though, new and exciting models from the Star Wars universe will come out next year – and you never know, our best-loved sets might make a comeback after a couple of years.

Didn't LEGO just say a couple of days ago they would retire the set in 2014 to avoid problems?

He is hoarding them so he can pull a "USC Millennium Falcon"

The set was going to be "retire" anyway in 2014, because that usually the lifespan LEGO Star Wars set. The whole thing is dumb but LEGO was smart to come out looking like they are addressing the issue when in fact they are not doing anything they usually don't do.

Oh, Potter can you resize or quote your image....

Top Bottom