• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

While I was working on my video game backlog my daughter decided to she was going help with my LEGO backlog and build the Old Republic Striker Class Starfighter from my not so secret closet's stash. She was saying that it was one of the more fun LEGO set since she started building them with me, 2nd only to the Sith's Fury. She also like the fact that it's a girl's ship and that it is nice pretty red instead of the boring gray and black of usual Star Wars fare.

I promptly told her to take it apart so I can rebuild it. So this morning I put the ship back together, it is the first "mixed" bags for me for new LEGO set. She was not too far off about this being one of the fun set to build. The set is very enjoyable and keep you going at all the great little details, at no time it feel tedious or boring. The cockpit is very nicely detail and the ship has cool transformable wings. That said there are some sections that seems "unfinished" like the back of the ship where her lightsaber is stored and the lack of landing gears. However, that said I was pleasant surprise that there was no Dreaded Sticker Sheets to be found. (My daughter also comments on that fact). One could easily modify the ship and add the landing geears.

f0k46mLl.jpg

This set is slightly overpriced (like most Star Wars set) at $44.00 but I got this on sale and Wal-mart have this set for just $35.00 (their new low price) this set is really a good value. You get three unique Minifigures that are great looking (and not lame fillers) and handsome looking ship.

rJbecNIl.jpg

I was pleasantly surprise that the superbly details cockpits extended to the engine's nacelles section. The wings also nicely details and no stickers! I wish all Star Wars set could be like this.

llD8Jyzl.jpg

Here is comparison to the A-Wing. As you can see it is bigger but not prohibitively large for display especially with the wing swept forward in delta position. I love the nice rust color LEGO pieces on the ship, especially accented with red and clear green.

cYKsr57l.jpg

The great Mini-figures are really icing on the cake.

ETMvBI2l.jpg

DJ_Lae

I saw this one recently at Sears. They were clearing out all of their toys buy one get one free and all that was left in terms of Lego (other than silly Ninjago card sets) was the X-Wing and the one you have above.

I didn't bite as the X-Wing was $75 and that other ship was only $45, so the discount didn't seem that great. In hindsight maybe it wasn't a bad buy.

SpeedNut

Still haven't bit on a double VIP purchase, plus my free shipping w/ Duplo purchase, or my 10% off in store coupon just because I see this backlog staring at me:

8620260702_1b0f60680d.jpg

What should I even attempt to build first? Or what should I just leave in the box (Shuttle Adventure since it was a one year only?)

Still haven't bit on a double VIP purchase, plus my free shipping w/ Duplo purchase, or my 10% off in store coupon just because I see this backlog staring at me:

What should I even attempt to build first? Or what should I just leave in the box (Shuttle Adventure since it was a one year only?)
fire brigade is glorious but I'm not sure if that means it should be first or last.

go small to large :D

No new Lego incoming and a slow night at home... you know what that means! Oh yes, vintage time!

CduZCbW.jpg

The Blacktron ship was sitting 15% complete in the box, but I had to tear it down to find what pieces I needed to sort out. Eventually I was just missing the minifig and a 1x1 trans red tile, but I had a spare Blacktron that I got some time ago just because it looks awesome.

I like this ship with the delta wings (incidentally somewhat similar to the above Star Wars ship) and the removable cargo hold. Lego sure liked their modular ships for a time there.

The rocket launcher was a Christmas gift, I remember. For this one I had everything, although one of the wheel hubs is breaking. I'm still rather amazed that I have all pieces around, after years and years of play, gathering all my Lego from a huge floor bin into a cardboard box, storing it in the attic for years and now sorting everything into separate bags.

That's the last major Space sets, although there are quite a few smaller ones that I'll look into next.

I'm currently sitting on an $80 credit from VIP points. It will put a nice dent in Orthanc, when that sucker comes out. The reveal is coming any day now, right guys? Right?!

No new Lego incoming and a slow night at home... you know what that means! Oh yes, vintage time!

The Blacktron ship was sitting 15% complete in the box, but I had to tear it down to find what pieces I needed to sort out. Eventually I was just missing the minifig and a 1x1 trans red tile, but I had a spare Blacktron that I got some time ago just because it looks awesome.

I like this ship with the delta wings (incidentally somewhat similar to the above Star Wars ship) and the removable cargo hold. Lego sure liked their modular ships for a time there.

The rocket launcher was a Christmas gift, I remember. For this one I had everything, although one of the wheel hubs is breaking. I'm still rather amazed that I have all pieces around, after years and years of play, gathering all my Lego from a huge floor bin into a cardboard box, storing it in the attic for years and now sorting everything into separate bags.

That's the last major Space sets, although there are quite a few smaller ones that I'll look into next.

I have that Blacktron spaceship and it's probably one of my most favorite old sets, such a sleek and cool looking ship and it's really tough to beat that color combination. Blacktron II wasn't bad but that first Blacktron series was really nice. You're tempting me to post pics of all the old sets I have, lol.

cool, everytime I see old LEGO I find it mind boggling to see how it has changed...

Yeah, it's rather strange how the rocket launcher was a rather big, expensive set at the time, but it has the same amount of pieces as something like Shelob, which is a smaller set. Speaking of which...

csBqZGV.jpg

Shelob is such a nice model. I have her suspended from the ceiling, swaying gently on a string. Can't wait to see which friends have arachnophobia.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm slowly getting back into Legos, I just moved to the US so I have to start from scratch but man, I'm having a lot of fun. Awesome to have a lego thread on GAF and I hope to catch up to all the goodness asap!

I recently bought one of the IM3 set, I need to get the boat extremis one for War Machine, the biggest set seem a bit underwhelming with the beach house being like just a tiny part of it. Oh well...

DJ_Lae

For this one I had everything, although one of the wheel hubs is breaking.

Those hubs are horrible for that.

I have a ton of them, probably half of them have a crack of some kind and at least two or three have completely split. I had to glue them back together.

I saw this one recently at Sears. They were clearing out all of their toys buy one get one free and all that was left in terms of Lego (other than silly Ninjago card sets) was the X-Wing and the one you have above.

I didn't bite as the X-Wing was $75 and that other ship was only $45, so the discount didn't seem that great. In hindsight maybe it wasn't a bad buy.

Wait you didn't buy it?! For $75 (Canada price?) you get two ships so that work out to be less than $38.00 each. And one is the awesome new X-Wing. I have the older one from Dagobah set build so I don't know how the new one is but all I heard that the new one is great.

DJ_Lae

Wait you didn't buy it?! For $75 (Canada price?) you get two ships so that work out to be less than $38.00 each. And one is the awesome new X-Wing. I have the older one from Dagobah set build so I don't know how the new one is but all I heard that the new one is great.

Yeah that's why I regret it a bit.

I still don't really like the other ship, though, and at the time it was me thinking about spending $75 to get an X-Wing and a freebie I didn't care about.

Milchjon

Hmm, looking at the Brickshow videos, the interior detail of the Lone Ranger buildings isn't as good as with the old Western city sets...

CduZCbW.jpg

Oh Man those are awesome, I am jelly, I had sets 885, 452 and 6875 as a kid. I would love to still have them :(

BioHazard

I think I'm going to get a big set before double VIP ends. In terms of availability, which should I buy first, Arkham or Palace Cinema? Which do you think is in more danger of going out of print? I know the nyc LEGO store has the cinema but not sure about the Arkham, I don't really want to order it online :/

ghostmind

Picked up my double VIP purchase:

W2uiB2b.jpg

The box is massive! Almost the size of all the Lone Ranger kits combined.

It will have to wait though, because I need to get back to starting the Stagecoach.

rallaren

Arkham looks awesome.

Anyone have any experience with either of these sets?

Technic - Grand Prix Racer
Technic - 4X4 Crawler

I've always been interested in jumping into the Technic sets and these two caught my eye.
I have the 4x4 on order.

I have the supercar and rescue helicopter since earlier this year, but the 4x4 is probably more interesting with its remote control. Didn't see that until recently.

Lego Technic should be more cool imo. Maybe the more expensive sets are... I liked my old space shuttle but I've lost it.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Arkham. Exploit the double VIP. And it is still a store exclusive, while Bag End can be found nearly anywhere.
I choOse you Arkham!

This was the clincher right here- I thought it was available everywhere, didn't know it was an exclusive. Probably going to be hard to find in a few years if the first gen of Batman sets are anything to go by too, so better snatch it now.

Should be here next week! :)

The Styker is a nice set, only negative to me was the colors they chose for it. Even in the game they aren't that bright red/orange/white mess. Guess they wanted it to stand out from the sea of white/grey craft.

hmmblah

While I was working on my video game backlog my daughter decided to she was going help with my LEGO backlog and build the Old Republic Striker Class Starfighter from my not so secret closet's stash. She was saying that it was one of the more fun LEGO set since she started building them with me, 2nd only to the Sith's Fury. She also like the fact that it's a girl's ship and that it is nice pretty red instead of the boring gray and black of usual Star Wars fare.

I promptly told her to take it apart so I can rebuild it. So this morning I put the ship back together, it is the first "mixed" bags for me for new LEGO set. She was not too far off about this being one of the fun set to build. The set is very enjoyable and keep you going at all the great little details, at no time it feel tedious or boring. The cockpit is very nicely detail and the ship has cool transformable wings. That said there are some sections that seems "unfinished" like the back of the ship where her lightsaber is stored and the lack of landing gears. However, that said I was pleasant surprise that there was no Dreaded Sticker Sheets to be found. (My daughter also comments on that fact). One could easily modify the ship and add the landing geears.

f0k46mLl.jpg

I really enjoyed this set as well. One of the more enjoyable ship builds for sure.

I came home from work today and my wife caught me totally by surprise:

X3eQFpc.jpg

I was probably going to grab it in May if it was discounted, but I'll take it now!

ghostmind

Hmm, looking at the Brickshow videos, the interior detail of the Lone Ranger buildings isn't as good as with the old Western city sets...

I just finished the Sheriff's building, and it is as detailed, or moreso, than set 6764, its Western-theme counterpart.

mrkgoo

How old is fierce flyer creator set?

I'm travelling abroad at the moment and I might pick up another one if its an older set I can't get in NZ. If its new, there's a possibility it might come out, just later. I don't recall it in the catalogue though.

How old is fierce flyer creator set?

I'm travelling abroad at the moment and I might pick up another one if its an older set I can't get in NZ. If its new, there's a possibility it might come out, just later. I don't recall it in the catalogue though.
Fierce Flyer is brand new. And awesome.

Happy to see so many picking up Arkham!
It's become my favorite set by far (ok, I'm a tad biased, but still).

I've been on the fence of buying it. There are things I like about it but the depth of the set bugs me. I wish they would have given it the ability to open and close a la the Haunted House.

I've been on the fence of buying it. There are things I like about it but the depth of the set bugs me. I wish they would have given it the ability to open and close a la the Haunted House.

Buy 2 sets and you can make the back half yourself that opens and closes. Maybe will have some pieces leftover to make a full fence surrounding it. You're welcome. :)

Worst case is you can sell the 2nd one later at MSRP or higher even though it's used.

Or you can get the poor man's Arkham Asylum:

Conversion from Vampyre Castle to Arkham Asylum

7808093984_23b9fb81ac_c.jpg

Buy 2 sets and you can make the back half yourself that opens and closes. Maybe will have some pieces leftover to make a full fence surrounding it. You're welcome. :)

Worst case is you can sell the 2nd one later at MSRP or higher even though it's used.

Knock it off, you! ;) I wouldn't be able to justify that purchase.

neonglow

Or you can get the poor man's Arkham Asylum:

Conversion from Vampyre Castle to Arkham Asylum

7808093984_23b9fb81ac_c.jpg

That's a nice MOC. With that amount of extra pieces he used and the minifigures he added, I think it'd end up costing more than Lego's version.

Ponn

Banned
Oh yea, snapshot of my overall haul for this week. Ghost Train will be my weekend project.

edit: Oh yea, another perfect box from AWD by the way. Thats 3 for 3 on the bigger set boxes from them for me. Only one I ever got messed up from them was the Vampyre's Hearse box, bigger sets so far came in perfect condition.

ghostmind

Colby City Showdown is finished, and my overall impressions are quite positive. I like the sheriff's building a bit more than the bank, but the latter's vault is a highlight of the kit.

The set as a whole makes me wish that the CUUSOO modular western town had got approval, but I am hopeful that it, and more Western-theme LEGO could emerge after the Lone Ranger line is done.

Tomorrow I`ll take on the Silver Mine and the Constitution Train, as well as post pics of all the sets together.

Top Bottom