• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Colby City Showdown is finished, and my overall impressions are quite positive. I like the sheriff's building a bit more than the bank, but the latter's vault is a highlight of the kit.

The set as a whole makes me wish that the CUUSOO modular western town had got approval, but I am hopeful that it, and more Western-theme LEGO could emerge after the Lone Ranger line is done.

Tomorrow I`ll take on the Silver Mine and the Constitution Train, as well as post pics of all the sets together.

Are there any printed pieces or all stickers? Mainly inquiring on the stagecoach...

ghostmind

Are there any printed pieces or all stickers? Mainly inquiring on the stagecoach...

Stagecoach has 8 stickers I believe. No printed pieces, save for an envelope. You could probably leave them off and still have a good looking set.

Colby City has 4 "important" stickers, with another 5 that create a weathering effect on the sheriff's building roof - those are totally optional.

Cavalry Builder and Comanche Camp have no stickers, and it looks like the Silver Mine might have 1, and the train has maybe four.

In all this theme is really light on sticker use.

Yagharek

Well, I'm hooked. My wife got me a few minifigs for my birthday, and I completed the space shuttle build last weekend.

Just ordered the technic helicopter and am looking at getting an old classic set to modify with the chopper. I have a pretty cool idea for how to combine at least 3 themes, and will post photos if/when it works.

Buy 2 sets and you can make the back half yourself that opens and closes. Maybe will have some pieces leftover to make a full fence surrounding it. You're welcome. :)

Worst case is you can sell the 2nd one later at MSRP or higher even though it's used.

Or you can get the poor man's Arkham Asylum:

Conversion from Vampyre Castle to Arkham Asylum

7808093984_23b9fb81ac_c.jpg

This is a fantastic moc. The fact that it sticks so closely to the original design is really interesting. My daughter and I may be modifying our Vampyre Castle this weekend thanks to this.

Question:

Are there any good toy stores / big box / LEGO stores in the New Jersey or San Diego area? I'm heading to Philly/NJ next week and San Diego the following and want to see what's available that we may not get in Canada. I'm hoping to stock up on some polybags but any insight into US sale flyers would be appreciated.

And does anyone know of a Lego store within walking distance of Bourbon St in New Orleans?

EDIT: Checked the website. ZERO stores in LA. Wow. Feels like CT. :)

Redberyl

Neo Member
Question:

Are there any good toy stores / big box / LEGO stores in the New Jersey or San Diego area? I'm heading to Philly/NJ next week and San Diego the following and want to see what's available that we may not get in Canada. I'm hoping to stock up on some polybags but any insight into US sale flyers would be appreciated.

You'll be really close to Legoland California when you're in San Diego, I believe they'll let you go into the store there and shop without having to buy a ticket.

In terms of polybags your choices are Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us (they're all nationwide). Each one will have a different selection but there may not be a ton of variety or even stock in a store.

- For Target poly's are normally in the impulse areas by each checkout
- For Walmart they tend to be around the LEGO area or in a holiday area if there is one
- For TRU they tend to have some by the LEGO aisle but they'll keep certain ones at the front desk (to keep them from getting stolen)

R-User!

Yeah, it's rather strange how the rocket launcher was a rather big, expensive set at the time, but it has the same amount of pieces as something like Shelob, which is a smaller set. Speaking of which...

csBqZGV.jpg

Shelob is such a nice model. I have her suspended from the ceiling, swaying gently on a string. Can't wait to see which friends have arachnophobia.

I, too, have it dangling from a string attached to my dining room track lighting... :D

golem

You'll be really close to Legoland California when you're in San Diego, I believe they'll let you go into the store there and shop without having to buy a ticket.
I dont think the Legoland stores support VIP points if I remember correctly. A quick jaunt to the Lego store in San Diego might be worth it if he wants to take advantage of that.

Hmm. Thanks. I wonder If I should get it, or if it is going to come out in NZ...

The conundrum is that prices where I am now is even HIGHER than in NZ.

Fierce flyer is pretty cheap overall. If you are worried about price disparity, go for a bigger set to technically save more. That is if you can still transport it back to NZ safely.

But Fierce Flyer is a tiny lil box. And a really cool build too.

I dont think the Legoland stores support VIP points if I remember correctly. A quick jaunt to the Lego store in San Diego might be worth it if he wants to take advantage of that.
I can verify that the Legoland store in San Diego does not support VIP points. I was there during Christmas and I tried to use my VIP card, but to no avail. I think that it has something to do with Legoland not actually being owned by LEGO, or something along those lines. I'd agree and go to the regular LEGO store if you want the VIP points. The only difference between a regular LEGO store and the Legoland store is that you can find a lot more souvenir-y type merchandise at the Legoland store. Prices for the actual LEGO sets are approximately the same I believe.

I finally made it out to the Lego store today to get my delayed birthday gift. (I was waiting for the double VIP points) My sister is in town and I asked if she wanted to go with me and her eyes got huge when she found out that we have a Lego store nearby! So we went out to the mall with her 2 older kids and we all had a blast playing with the loose pieces at the play table and then making minifigs. I usually am in and out when I go but it was alot of fun spending some time and watching the kids play. We made it out with Pet Shop for me, 2 poly bags of the cherry tree couple, and 6 build your own minifigs and $15 worth of VIP for next time!

Yagharek

I also ordered a classic Lego Space Police set too, 6986. Lego Space Police 1: Mission Commander.

And Raptor Hunt.

And the last s9 minifigs I need.

I'm going to try and build something from them all.

mrkgoo

Fierce flyer is pretty cheap overall. If you are worried about price disparity, go for a bigger set to technically save more. That is if you can still transport it back to NZ safely.

But Fierce Flyer is a tiny lil box. And a really cool build too.

I meant that its more expensive (potentially) than back home, but I'm not sure if it will even come out back home.

Like should I risk paying more and have it take up valuable luggage real estate?

Katoki

I meant that its more expensive (potentially) than back home, but I'm not sure if it will even come out back home.

Like should I risk paying more and have it take up valuable luggage real estate?

If you're going to build it anyway and keep the boxes, melt the adhesive down and flatten the boxes for the trip home? You could always just toss the part bags into large ziplog bags and then squeeze the air out of them and all that. Can't speak for the sets with the thicker cardboard going on though but that's where creativity comes in I suppose.

mrkgoo

If you're going to build it anyway and keep the boxes, melt the adhesive down and flatten the boxes for the trip home? You could always just toss the part bags into large ziplog bags and then squeeze the air out of them and all that. Can't speak for the sets with the thicker cardboard going on though but that's where creativity comes in I suppose.

I would just open and build it and put it in a ziplock and toss the box :). But I'm thinking if getting it as a gift. Maybe another one for myself. ;)

But I would feel a bit ripped if I could get them back home later for cheaper. I guess the risk is worth it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would just open and build it and put it in a ziplock and toss the box :). But I'm thinking if getting it as a gift. Maybe another one for myself. ;)

But I would feel a bit ripped if I could get them back home later for cheaper. I guess the risk is worth it.

It's a great set, I'd be more upset not buying it than spending a little more if it does come out domestically. And it's a cheap set anyway so the difference wouldn't be a lot.

Best small creator set I've seen in years IMO. The finished model (eagle) is very big and incredibly posable for £10

mrkgoo

It's a great set, I'd be more upset not buying it than spending a little more if it does come out domestically. And it's a cheap set anyway so the difference wouldn't be a lot.

Best small creator set I've seen in years IMO. The finished model (eagle) is very big and incredibly posable for £10
Sweet, I think I will try to pick up another then.

Is there a website that details which sets are released where?

No word yet regarding any sales on Star Wars sets for May the 4th? I'm asking because I've got $300 in VIP points burning a hole in my pocket that I was planning on putting toward the USW (aka the Ultimate Sex Wing). But another scenario came to mind recently while building the R2D2 set. BTW, Phonciple was BANG ON regarding this set. It is PHENOMENAL. I'm about 75% done the build and it has already far surpassed my expectations. The complexity and fun factor of the build are through the roof. If you're on the fence like I was previously, then jump off and get this set! It's pure genius.

Anyway, another set that I've been lukewarm to all along is the Death Star. Since Phonciple was so right with his R2 recommendation, I'm thinking that I might grab the Death Star before it goes out of print as he raves about that set as well. I grabbed the SSD at 20% off during last year's May the 4th promo and I'm wondering if the Death Star will be 20% this year (it was also 20% off last year). It is normally priced at $500 Canadian. 20% off brings it down to $400. $300 in VIP points brings my cost down to a paltry $100! I'm thinking that I can't pass this up. This is where I would normally ask everyone the obligatory question of "what should I do?", but we all know that such a question would be rhetorical...

- For Target poly's are normally in the impulse areas by each checkout
- For Walmart they tend to be around the LEGO area or in a holiday area if there is one
- For TRU they tend to have some by the LEGO aisle but they'll keep certain ones at the front desk (to keep them from getting stolen)

These are great tips, thank you. I did notice last time I was in Buffalo that the polybags were kept near the cash at Target which was odd. I'll keep my eye out!

Yeah, it looks like my hotel is 5 or 6 minutes from the LEGO store so I will definitely visit. Surprised LEGO Land doesn't support VIP. I've used my VIP card many times at the Downtown Disney in Orlando.

The only difference between a regular LEGO store and the Legoland store is that you can find a lot more souvenir-y type merchandise at the Legoland store. Prices for the actual LEGO sets are approximately the same I believe.

Aw man, now I need to do both.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
No word yet regarding any sales on Star Wars sets for May the 4th? I'm asking because I've got $300 in VIP points burning a hole in my pocket that I was planning on putting toward the USW (aka the Ultimate Sex Wing). But another scenario came to mind recently while building the R2D2 set. BTW, Phonciple was BANG ON regarding this set. It is PHENOMENAL. I'm about 75% done the build and it has already far surpassed my expectations. The complexity and fun factor of the build are through the roof. If you're on the fence like I was previously, then jump off and get this set! It's pure genius.

Anyway, another set that I've been lukewarm to all along is the Death Star. Since Phonciple was so right with his R2 recommendation, I'm thinking that I might grab the Death Star before it goes out of print as he raves about that set as well. I grabbed the SSD at 20% off during last year's May the 4th promo and I'm wondering if the Death Star will be 20% this year (it was also 20% off last year). It is normally priced at $500 Canadian. 20% off brings it down to $400. $300 in VIP points brings my cost down to a paltry $100! I'm thinking that I can't pass this up. This is where I would normally ask everyone the obligatory question of "what should I do?", but we all know that such a question would be rhetorical...

So glad you said that about R2D2 - picked it up cheap today second hand in the UK but unbuilt at over a third off (from a family that just didnt want it - and could afford to sell it on cheap). Looking forward to getting into it tonight.

And I'd definitely recommend the Death Star - it's the star of my collection still.

neonglow

I'd just wait until May the 4th since they're both Star Wars sets. The new X-wing doesn't come out until then anyways. The DS will probably be at least 10% off. Decide when you have more info.

Get the Best Star. Do it. The sheer amount of VIP points you have will make it hurt a lot less.

Deefuzz

Yeah, it looks like my hotel is 5 or 6 minutes from the LEGO store so I will definitely visit. Surprised LEGO Land doesn't support VIP. I've used my VIP card many times at the Downtown Disney in Orlando.

That is because Legoland is not owned or operated by LEGO. It is a separate company that controls that.

They do acknowledge VIP by offering VIP members I think a 10% discount if you show your card. But you cannot accrue or redeem points at Legoland because of it being a different entity entirely.

So is the Millennium Falcon worth getting? I never see it on sale around here and only place still have it is Walmart (I heard some place s put them on clearance but not this one store here).

I heard it is not a very good set. As much as Arkham interested me especially with Double VIP, I am really trying to stick with mainly Star Wars.

So is the Millennium Falcon worth getting? I never see it on sale around here and only place still have it is Walmart (I heard some place s put them on clearance but not this one store here).

I heard it is not a very good set. As much as Arkham interested me especially with Double VIP, I am really trying to stick with mainly Star Wars.
I liked the set. Good figures, great pieces for MOCs and a fun build. It is not one of those OMG I MUST HAVE IT sets, but it is quite nice.
Surprised you can still find it easily.

meh, it's not to scale and there's always the UCS version laughing at you.

but yes like PB said, great figs (if you don't already have them) and fun build. Just depends on your priorities.

Dragoshi1

Found Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape, last one at a Target I went to!

Mainly for the Ironman minifig, but the jeep itself was a good build.

I liked the set. Good figures, great pieces for MOCs and a fun build. It is not one of those OMG I MUST HAVE IT sets, but it is quite nice.
Surprised you can still find it easily.

They are readily available on Amazon and one of my local Wal-Mart always have them, but they are never on sale. Last month when I went to my local LEGO shop, they also have them in stock, so i was thinking about buying it there with 10% coupon I got from fellow GAF along with double VIP. I am just not sure if it is a wise spending choice as I heard it's a pretty ho-hum set. I do like Star Wars so...

Found Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape, last one at a Target I went to!
Mainly for the Ironman minifig, but the jeep itself was a good build.

My local stores all have plenty of this particular set. It's the only $20 super-heroes set I don't own yet (since I never find it on sale ever). I got Lex's suit, spidey and Deadpool set for $18.00 couple weeks back, Arctic Batman for $16.00 last week.

ghostmind

Got a late start today, but I wanted to say that the brick-build (mountain-build?) on the Silver Mine is amazing (and a lot of fun). So much variation in this kit!

This is my favorite set from the theme so far.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've been kind-of MIA from all Lego news recently.

Went out today and picked up the Petshop Modular with my 10% off coupon, while the 2x VIP points were going on.

Have we had any more leaks of 10XXX series sets? Besides the X-Wing?

I put together a bunch more Space sets, including one I can't for the life of me remember getting, the 6856 Planetary Decoder. It was at least three years after the last regular sets I got (Ice Planet stuff) which were kind of late to begin with.

Oh well, it's an ugly piece of shit anyway, with color decoder and holographic gimmicks.

Found an old favourite too, the 6828 Twin-Winged Spoiler. I hadn't kept the instructions around so I missed it in the first pass, but this is a really sweet-looking thing.

I put together a bunch more Space sets, including one I can't for the life of me remember getting, the 6856 Planetary Decoder. It was at least three years after the last regular sets I got (Ice Planet stuff) which were kind of late to begin with.

Oh well, it's an ugly piece of shit anyway, with color decoder and holographic gimmicks.

Found an old favourite too, the 6828 Twin-Winged Spoiler. I hadn't kept the instructions around so I missed it in the first pass, but this is a really sweet-looking thing.

Exploriens ships were lacking badly.

Ahhhh Futuron...that was a decent line...loved the outfits. Just checked out the set and it is simple but nice!

Top Bottom