• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I am thinking of being bad and ordering something this weekend before double VIP ends. Order it Monday. Have it delivered Thursday when I get back from vacation.

And of course still do my SW twofer in a few weeks. :)

Do you have Arkham yet? ;)

If not then:

Benstillerdoit.gif

Also consider this: It's still a Lego exclusive, will be around till next year for sure BUT who knows whether it will be around for double VIP next year still?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
My Arkham's in the post.

Came damn close to getting the Hobbithole as well, but i'll pick it up cheaply from amazon later this month hopefully! :)

How long do those set stay around, I read that Death Star is going on it's 5th year. I don't see it retire anytime soon though consider how popular it is. SDD on the other hand might be. It's long and hard to find display spot for it and Death Star seem like much better deal, even my wife think it's the neatest thing she saw while we were in Orlando last year (at Downtown Disney LEGO store).

Finally got round to making a better version, as promised many pages back
still a lot of work, I still hate gimp, but I think I'm getting faster ;p

iJrfzkHFXv49v.gif

How long do those set stay around, I read that Death Star is going on it's 5th year. I don't see it retire anytime soon though consider how popular it is. SDD on the other hand might be. It's long and hard to find display spot for it and Death Star seem like much better deal, even my wife think it's the neatest thing she saw while we were in Orlando last year (at Downtown Disney LEGO store).

the death star is something of an anomaly, usually 2 years is about the age of LEGO sets, that being said the Modular Fire Department is way past its 2 year cycle, so its difficult to say for sure for the large sets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just finished Horizon Express while watching a ton of Stargate SG-1. Interesting build. Highlights were definitely the chevrons, and the neat way they do the angled pieces under the carriages. Wasn't planning to do power functions yet, but the instructions includ putting lights in it, which makes it tempting.

Barely fits on top of a bookshelf alongside the Maersk and Emerald night.

Just finished Horizon Express while watching a ton of Stargate SG-1. Interesting build. Highlights were definitely the chevrons, and the neat way they do the angled pieces under the carriages. Wasn't planning to do power functions yet, but the instructions includ putting lights in it, which makes it tempting.

Barely fits on top of a bookshelf alongside the Maersk and Emerald night.
The main engine car was the best part. How parts go together upside down is so awesome.

Did you have the same annoyance I had with the last two cars? How putting on the roofs is annoying, but of you take the sides off, attach them to the roof, then slide it back on its easier?

Ironmask

Just got back from the Lego store.

I bought Haunted House and Arkham Asylum for double VIP points.

yeah...

that's a lot of love for yourself :) i love to do some LEGO with a movie in theme for background. Yesterday i finished to build the Quinjet and seeing the Avengers movie was good to make me in the right mood.

also later i'll write a review of the Quinjet

ghostmind

qG1tWHj.jpg

Captain Fuller and his men.

3LtGf4n.jpg

Chief Big Bear, Red Knee, and Tonto.

St0elrN.jpg

Butch Cavendish and his gang (Kyle, Frank, Ray, Barret, and Jesus) and Latham Cole.

lLsdjxh.jpg

Red Harrington and the Reid family (Dan, Rebecca, and Danny)

MFA9sM0.jpg

The two variations of the Lone Ranger.

jxu5fAG.jpg

The Lone Ranger is his own army.

vzAqujn.jpg

Hi Ho Silver, Awayyyyy!

g7LHYRm.jpg

neonglow

qG1tWHj.jpg

Captain Fuller and his men.

3LtGf4n.jpg

Chief Big Bear, Red Knee, and Tonto.

St0elrN.jpg

Butch Cavendish and his gang (Kyle, Frank, Ray, Barret, and Jesus) and Latham Cole.

lLsdjxh.jpg

Red Harrington and the Reid family (Dan, Rebecca, and Danny)

Nice that there is at least variations on the secondary people with a nice selection of baddies. I hated that Loki was in all the Avenger sets.

Nice, lots of different faces. Too bad I already picked out ones for my figures. That Danny face could have worked for one, rather than having to buy the young Han Solo.

ghostmind

I am really impressed by the Lone Ranger theme - there wasn't a weak kit in the bunch. A lot of variation in the builds, lots of great colors and piece-types and minimal stickers.

Ranking them by my build experience:

1. Silver Mine Shootout - no contest, this is the best set in the theme.

2. Stagecoach Escape - a great value, a great build and a great looking set.

3. Colby City Showdown - narrowly edges out the next in this list. I really enjoyed putting this together, which surprised me.

4. Constitution Train Chase - you get a LOT in this set. All the train cars are well-designed and varied.

5. Cavalry Builder Set - the best value in this theme. I'm thinking of getting another one to double my soldiers. It would have been great to get a Fort Legoredo for the troops though.

6. Comanche Camp - it's still a great set, but compared to the rest of this stellar theme, this one falls a bit short. I wish the teepee was canvas instead of semi-rigid plastic.

Every set looks so darn good...it's gonna be really tough to choose now...I was bullish on that Mine set but the pictures have turned my opinion. May go with the Stagecoach or Train first though.

R-User!

Do you have Arkham yet? ;)

If not then:

Benstillerdoit.gif

Also consider this: It's still a Lego exclusive, will be around till next year for sure BUT who knows whether it will be around for double VIP next year still?

Double VIP was last October too; for the whole month!! So if it happens this year too, then there are two options per year to cash in!

Finally got round to making a better version, as promised many pages back
still a lot of work, I still hate gimp, but I think I'm getting faster ;p

iJrfzkHFXv49v.gif

the death star is something of an anomaly, usually 2 years is about the age of LEGO sets, that being said the Modular Fire Department is way past its 2 year cycle, so its difficult to say for sure for the large sets.

We have a winner! Great work!

ghostmind

Word on the street is that newer runs of Monster Fighter sets are dropping the glow-in-the-dark minifigs/elements/stickers. Not sure if this would impact the Haunted House however, as it is more of a direct set.

TripOpt55

I am really impressed by the Lone Ranger theme - there wasn't a weak kit in the bunch. A lot of variation in the builds, lots of great colors and piece-types and minimal stickers.

Ranking them by my build experience:

1. Silver Mine Shootout - no contest, this is the best set in the theme.

2. Stagecoach Escape - a great value, a great build and a great looking set.

3. Colby City Showdown - narrowly edges out the next in this list. I really enjoyed putting this together, which surprised me.

4. Constitution Train Chase - you get a LOT in this set. All the train cars are well-designed and varied.

5. Cavalry Builder Set - the best value in this theme. I'm thinking of getting another one to double my soldiers. It would have been great to get a Fort Legoredo for the troops though.

6. Comanche Camp - it's still a great set, but compared to the rest of this stellar theme, this one falls a bit short. I wish the teepee was canvas instead of semi-rigid plastic.
I thought the mine set looked sweet, but your positive review of it makes me want it even more. Pics look great too!

Word on the street is that newer runs of Monster Fighter sets are dropping the glow-in-the-dark minifigs/elements/stickers. Not sure if this would impact the Haunted House however, as it is more of a direct set.
Hmm. I had noticed two upcs for Vampyre Castle. Is that the difference? Might be worth hunting down the original then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The main engine car was the best part. How parts go together upside down is so awesome.

Did you have the same annoyance I had with the last two cars? How putting on the roofs is annoying, but of you take the sides off, attach them to the roof, then slide it back on its easier?

Yeah that was dumb. They clearly have these tiles with a few studs for easy roof release, but then have you build a flimsy wall on top before putting the roof on. By the time it came to the second carriage is just out those aside and attached them to the roof before putting the while thing on the carriage.

My girlfriend suggested buying haunted house this morning..... Hmmmmmm. Going halfsies w her on HH might not be so bad.

Perhaps this is all a nefarious plot of hers to keep me around- if she has half-stake in many of my legos, i basically have to stay with her forever. I mean, hell, she just straight- up owns market village and a couple related sets.

edit: oh god she bought vampire castle too. Welp.

Also an odd criticism when creator sets have had 3-in-1 sets for years
He points out when they started the 3 n 1 trend.

Some of these huge LEGO sites irk me with comments like that. Or when something is rebranded (Creator Expert most recently), people claim it is not a real set or something like that.
As long as the main model is there and you get instructions for it, where is the problem? Complaining about pricing on some things (Jabba) is understandable, as is the quality of a build, but complaining about getting more instruction booklets and having the name of a line changed is silly.

The tiniest of changes seem to irk people but I agree, it's a silly complaint. Whine about the cost of sets or the build but that? Bah. Thankfully I gloss over that stuff and judge with my eyes, I don't need their whiny reviews.

Ponn

Banned
I know it won't mean much against all those awesome Lone Ranger pics but I finished Ghost Train today and took some pics.

Again sorry for the crappy Vita pics.

Choo Choo!

And I just had to do this. I'm positive i'm not the only one that thought this seeing the Ghost Train.

cue FF fight music

FRANK ROCK SUPLEX!

And its a really crappy pic but momentarily moved all my MF sets together to be on display for the time being. Everything sans Crazy Scientist, Zombies and HH.

Also I really enjoyed the Ghost Train build. I mean there was some repetition with the cars but there was some neat builds in the train, alot of cool pieces, a shitload of glow in dark pieces, 3 awesome ghosts and alot of bone pieces. I think it will look awesome come halloween time. The plane, meh, about what I was expecting. Will probably take it apart and put the pieces away. For $55 AWD well worth price for the train.

Chuck

Still without luck
As nice as the Lone Ranger sets are, it's a bummer they're associated with what will likely be a terrible movie. They should have just done new generic western theme.

ghostmind

As nice as the Lone Ranger sets are, it's a bummer they're associated with what will likely be a terrible movie. They should have just done new generic western theme.

LEGO seems to have shifted in recent years to being very aggressive with licensed themes, rather than their own themes. Probably a lot more money to be made, and less risk than going it alone. If this is how I get my Western, Pirate, etc. sets, then I'm OK with that.

Chuck

Still without luck
Fair enough. I still like some of their licenses. I do wish they would license more cartoon shows though. Specifically Adventure Time/Regular Show.

ghostmind

I wish we could get classic space instead of star wars to be honest. That is a tired, creatively bankrupt franchise now.

It's still one of their top sellers, and with a new trilogy on the way, LEGO has at least another decade in the tank.

Besides we have Galaxy Squad, which I see as the spiritual successor to Classic Space. LEGO has been pretty good about having their own space theme in conjunction with Star Wars over the years.

ghostmind

Fair enough. I still like some of their licenses. I do wish they would license more cartoon shows though. Specifically Adventure Time/Regular Show.

I would LOVE to see Adventure Time LEGO, but with Disney having so much product being made by TLG, I think that they are exercising some influence over what gets made. Plus, I don't know if Cartoon Network has the deep pockets and the expertise to co-create a successful theme - their Adventure Time toy line didn't exactly set the world on fire.

At least we maybe get The Simpsons... which is still a thing? Maybe? Anyone?

(and we got TMNT, which is a step in the right direction - maybe Nickelodeon can show CN how it is done)

Yagharek

It's still one of their top sellers, and with a new trilogy on the way, LEGO has at least another decade in the tank.

Besides we have Galaxy Squad, which I see as the spiritual successor to Classic Space. LEGO has been pretty good about having their own space theme in conjunction with Star Wars over the years.

I understand it is a big money spinner, but it is a defined universe too, and imo it has long ago become bland.

I also think there is more creativity and ideas to be found in blank slate themes, like City, classic space and castles etc. I strongly prefer hone grown Lego themes rather than licensed IP, even though I understand the attraction.

I understand it is a big money spinner, but it is a defined universe too, and imo it has long ago become bland.

I also think there is more creativity and ideas to be found in blank slate themes, like City, classic space and castles etc. I strongly prefer hone grown Lego themes rather than licensed IP, even though I understand the attraction.

But they never stopped putting out original content in all the genres..... space is being done again with the new galaxy squad, city still gets continual support, the modulars, architects series, and so many other themes including their original universes like ninjago/chima.

Yagharek

But they never stopped putting out original content in all the genres..... space is being done again with the new galaxy squad, city still gets continual support, the modulars, architects series, and so many other themes including their original universes like ninjago/chima.

I'm aware of things like ninjago for example, but I seem to recall a lot of old space sets being usurped by star wars a long time ago? I grew up as a kid with the tail end of classic space, and then space police 1 and 2 before I moved on from lego in general.

Is this galaxy quest a relatively new series? What happened to general space themes after space police 2?

(Incidentally, this critique of mine should in no way be thought of as related to any of the other stuff they do. I love the idea of modulars and architecture, the lego city and NASA tie in with space shuttles were great, and technic seems not to have lost any of its appeal. I reckon the only thing missing is the old Model Team).

That's a bit unusual. I wonder if the the non-glow-in-the-dark will be worth more if there's a lot fewer. At least I would think vampyre ones would be.

ghostmind

I'm aware of things like ninjago for example, but I seem to recall a lot of old space sets being usurped by star wars a long time ago? I grew up as a kid with the tail end of classic space, and then space police 1 and 2 before I moved on from lego in general.

Is this galaxy quest a relatively new series? What happened to general space themes after space police 2?

(Incidentally, this critique of mine should in no way be thought of as related to any of the other stuff they do. I love the idea of modulars and architecture, the lego city and NASA tie in with space shuttles were great, and technic seems not to have lost any of its appeal. I reckon the only thing missing is the old Model Team).

Space Police 3 ended in 2010, then we had Alien Conquest in 2011. After that we took a year off I believe until Galaxy Squad this year.

Yagharek

Space Police 3 ended in 2010, then we had Alien Conquest in 2011. After that we took a year off I believe until Galaxy Squad this year.

Ahh ok, cheers.

When I was looking around this past week at some old Space Police sets (I was tossing up between 6986 - Space Police I Mission Commander, 6984 - Space Police II Galactic Mediator and went for the SPI set) I noticed there was a newer one in Space Police III. 5974 - Galactic Enforcer. I think that's the new equivalent?

My specific interest in this is all borne out of what was probably the best Lego present I ever received when I was 7 or 8.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6985_Cosmic_Fleet_Voyager

That one, the Cosmic Fleet Voyager, was incredible. One of the best Lego sets Ive ever seen, but also my most memorable. I still have all the pieces in storage, but mixed up and the instructions might be torn and worn after 25 years.

Top Bottom