• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

Similar to a thread on gaming side too, I wish there were more lego dinosaur sets. That in itself should be a goldmine.

There was a Dino theme last year - did you check those out?

The sets are meh, but the dinosaurs themselves are superb (although not brick-built). I hope it returns in the next couple years with a better theme.

G6HIiCX.jpg

1OYnO7Z.jpg

Quite a few actors that have multiple Lego figures now. Gandalf + Magneto and Indiana + Solo come to mind. Oh, and Saruman + Dooku.

Yagharek

There was a Dino theme last year - did you check those out?

The sets are meh, but the dinosaurs themselves are superb (although not brick-built). I hope it returns in the next couple years with a better theme.

I know of them, I ordered one for a raptor for a project build. But yeah, its a theme ripe for great sets if they can come up with the right ideas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lego are perfectly capable of creating bland sets from generic themes too, so licensing or not is no promise of a good set. Classic space I look back on fondly, but recent space/Dino/other themes have been hit and miss IMO

rallaren

They got some great and not so great ideas over at Lego that's for sure. They can't please everyone obviously and they seem to kinda sticking with being a children's toy company so... The MOC community seems good though, but then there's the cost of lego pieces in general etc.

Does anyone want 8 x Part 85976 Train, Track Plastic, Narrow, Curve.

I got them from the Alien Conquest mothership but don't see myself rebuilding it and the other parts are very useful. These, for me, not so much.

To any UK address it's free, otherwise just postage costs.

Lego are perfectly capable of creating bland sets from generic themes too, so licensing or not is no promise of a good set. Classic space I look back on fondly, but recent space/Dino/other themes have been hit and miss IMO
There are also stinkers in the old themes too. I think the licensed sets are easier to get into a lot of stores that don't usually stock LEGO, kind of a gateway drug. But thankfully they still do their own original themes and they are more varied than they used to be. When I was a kid, all there was was City, Space, and Castle. And every year in Space, they had a sub theme. Like Futuron, Blacktron, or Space Police. Now it is just a theme like Galaxy Squad that happens to be space.

The only real complaint I have about the original themes right now is how small they are. Only one wave of Monster Fighters? I want more, because it was so awesome. I never got any Dino sets (yet), but wish it had another wave to get some better sets out of it. Of course, it is also a good thing some of these are short loved because it saves me money. And it also sets up the introduction of another original theme.

As for the rise of licensed sets, remember the dark days of the late 90s? Many of the original themes were not very good across the board.

I got them from the Alien Conquest mothership but don't see myself rebuilding it and the other parts are very useful. These, for me, not so much.

Ill take these if you don't mind mate. Much appreciated!

There are also stinkers in the old themes too. I think the licensed sets are easier to get into a lot of stores that don't usually stock LEGO, kind of a gateway drug. But thankfully they still do their own original themes and they are more varied than they used to be. When I was a kid, all there was was City, Space, and Castle. And every year in Space, they had a sub theme. Like Futuron, Blacktron, or Space Police. Now it is just a theme like Galaxy Squad that happens to be space.

The only real complaint I have about the original themes right now is how small they are. Only one wave of Monster Fighters? I want more, because it was so awesome. I never got any Dino sets (yet), but wish it had another wave to get some better sets out of it. Of course, it is also a good thing some of these are short loved because it saves me money. And it also sets up the introduction of another original theme.

As for the rise of licensed sets, remember the dark days of the late 90s? Many of the original themes were not very good across the board.

My MoC agenda for this series if I ever have time and the pieces:

Thinly-veiled phantom of the opera knockoff: Large set w/ stage, balcony, dressing room, and ominous cavern. Goal is to have it be a larger one, yet still relatively compact.

headless horseman (omg is there a lego head printed like a pumpkin?): Bridge to go with him.

Some set for the witch. Hut? Tower? Baba-yaga-style hut on legs?

Try to make a freakier spider set than the mirkwood spiders. Maybe in a basement

Different zombie set? a house under siege maybe. All sorts of dramatic play features for both zombies breaking in and home defense.

I'd love a ghost ship/flying dutchman but am not putting the effort into it when I'm getting the corsair ship soon.

Ominous skinny brickbuilt trees. Too versatile. Combine w the gangster's suit and a blank minifig head for instant slenderman action. OMG now that I've realized that's possible I'm going to need a blank head. Don't have one. I guess there is one inside that iron man set. IDK if these are common enough to be cheap on bricklink.

rallaren

Monster Fighters gets better and better the more I look at the sets. Mix between the Undead in WoW, Addams family and Scooby Doo etc. They really got it right there.

Monster Fighters is my favorite original LEGO theme. They deserve another wave.

Monster Fighters gets better and better the more I think about it. They really got it right there.
Therein lies the problem. They KILLED it with the first batch. They got almost all the iconic monsters (and still kid friendly) in the first wave, and then hit the grand slam a few months later with Haunted House. It just reached max level very fast.

Having said that, they could still easily do more. I would love for them to make an annual model for the line much like the Winter Village theme. One new mega set per year. We had a haunted house, now give us a massive graveyard or bigger castle or something. I think Haunted House showed what they should do with the line if it ever returns. Don't bother with actual good guys or anything. Just load it with monsters.

Therein lies the problem. They KILLED it with the first batch. They got almost all the iconic monsters (and still kid friendly) in the first wave, and then hit the grand slam a few months later with Haunted House. It just reached max level very fast.

Having said that, they could still easily do more. I would love for them to make an annual model for the line much like the Winter Village theme. One new mega set per year. We had a haunted house, now give us a massive graveyard or bigger castle or something.

Modular castle that grows every year.

No. That is what I want for Minas Tirith or Barad Dur.

Hmmm harry potter's last film was 2011 and sets continued through 2012. So if hobbit 3 comes out 2014, we can expect sets through 2015? I guess 2 or 3 years miiiight be enough for a satisfying modular minas tirith. Honestly don't think I'm interested in a massive barad-dur- it would feel redundant after buying a massive orthanc. Now, microscale sculpture-style sets of every major location? I would flip the fuck out. Could make a diorama of all of barad-dur, or of the whole rivendell valley, or of all of isengard and not just the tower.

Milamber

Speaking of Monster Fighters, what's with the price jump online with the Zombies sets? Am I missing something? Should I stock up as there are a ton of them in my neck of the world? Is it like that Turkey mosque fiasco?

Speaking of Monster Fighters, what's with the price jump online with the Zombies sets? Am I missing something? Should I stock up as there are a ton of them in my neck of the world? Is it like that Turkey mosque fiasco?
It went OOP awhile ago, and was only at Target and Lego.

Falch

Apparently they're hard to come by. Can't find them in Dutch stores at all.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars

I'd take these off your hands if they're still going - I've got a MOC I can incorporate them into.

Meanwhile, I am about two thirds of the way through the R2-D2. This set is just incredible - the techniques involved are great. And the modular build means I've actually been able to skip the legs and go straight to the head after building the body (a necessity when you have a three year old begging you to 'build R2D2's head daddy!). I'd told myself to spread out the build for a few more days, but I imagine that once the little'un is in bed tonight I'll be finishing it off.

ghostmind

This is what I was talking about regarding the changes to the Monster Fighters sets (left is original glow-in-the-dark ink and right is new non-glow color ink):

kxJwBz9.jpg

So far this affects the Mummy, Vampyre Hearse, and Vampyre Castle. Apparently you can tell which one it is by looking at the box - the newer ones have lost the "glow-effect" that is shown on the box.

flyingpig

Neo Member

Going rate is now about 150 USD on amazon/ebay, so depending on your exchange rate/shipping situation they're pretty nice. I'd expect it to max out after Halloween around 200.

Heck, just buy them all for me and send me the minifigs >.>

Ironmask

Going rate is now about 150 USD on amazon/ebay, so depending on your exchange rate/shipping situation they're pretty nice. I'd expect it to max out after Halloween around 200.

Heck, just buy them all for me and send me the minifigs >.>

maaaan i have one, if it really reach that price i'll end up selling it. So many awesome sets to buy with that money....

This is what I was talking about regarding the changes to the Monster Fighters sets (left is original glow-in-the-dark ink and right is new non-glow color ink):

kxJwBz9.jpg

So far this affects the Mummy, Vampyre Hearse, and Vampyre Castle. Apparently you can tell which one it is by looking at the box - the newer ones have lost the "glow-effect" that is shown on the box.
Interesting.

ghostmind

I wonder why, surely the glow in the dark effect colour cannot be that much more expensive?!
- seems really weird they would change it.

What I am hearing is that the glow-in-the-dark ink that they used did not meet their quality standards (it is degrading over time), so they have discontinued using it.

What I have noticed is that my gitd stickers are curling already. As such, I think I am going to order some replacement non gitd sheets for the affected sets.

R-User!

Hmmm harry potter's last film was 2011 and sets continued through 2012. So if hobbit 3 comes out 2014, we can expect sets through 2015? I guess 2 or 3 years miiiight be enough for a satisfying modular minas tirith. Honestly don't think I'm interested in a massive barad-dur- it would feel redundant after buying a massive orthanc. Now, microscale sculpture-style sets of every major location? I would flip the fuck out. Could make a diorama of all of barad-dur, or of the whole rivendell valley, or of all of isengard and not just the tower.

Or, ..................

A Middle Earth Map!!! 3000 pieces!!!

R-User!

What I am hearing is that the glow-in-the-dark ink that they used did not meet their quality standards (it is degrading over time), so they have discontinued using it.

What I have noticed is that my gitd stickers are curling already. As such, I think I am going to order some replacement non gitd sheets for the affected sets.

When you say order do you mean direct from Lego?

Ironmask

just a quick of the upcoming "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes" videogame:

U7BoaWy.jpg

i can't wait!!! (also hope to get an exclusive minifig like..... the hulk
3AQmK.gif
)

I am not sure I would consider it original, they are pretty much the 60's and 70's monster from the old comic and movies.
The figures were more influenced by the 30s and 40s. But the sets were the big highlight. They worked well because they were interpretations of horror staples and cliches, but given a nice LEGO touch.

rallaren

Well, my daughter and I went to LEGO store yesterday and after some consideration we decided on Millennium Falcon. My daughter said we should just stick to Star Wars. We mulled over the Death Star for a little while, but my wife probably not going to be too keen with us coming home with $400 LEGO set. We checked out Arkham Asylum but I was not very excited about it because of the theme park like design (I wish it was more like the Haunted House).

mEnLzGil.jpg

I got a coupon from fellow Gaffer here (Thanks Parrotbeak) along with double VIP and free LEGO bag help the wallet pain. (The manager gave us Star Wars polybag from last month because he figured we rather have that than keychain of Splinter. This is why I love the LEGO store, people there are always so nice). One of the clerk was excited by my t-shirt (it's Firefly ship done in LEGO old space theme emblem).

xKvnTrTl.jpg

Anyway we started last night and finished this morning. The set was not too bad but not the most exciting set either. I already feel that it was a tad small and the the fake seal off and cramp cockpit was a bit of a turn off. The ship to my surprise is very solid (I though all those panels would be flapping about, but they were fine.) Only parts that seems to come loose often are the quad-cannons The underside is also pretty bare bone but for such small set it was to be expected. Overall, we enjoy building it and it does look nice on display. Considering it probably will mostly like goes out of production soon since it's 2011 set.

Mr. and Mrs. Solo on their honeymoon trip.

9i5Qhnrl.jpg

"Might I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the Wookie wins" (The set should really comes with the two droids instead of Vader.)

LhS8Xoll.jpg

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" (Especially if you shoot first.)

0q7ksOLl.jpg

I really didn't like how the quad-cannon panel is set up, so I mod it with hinge parts so it can be open and close without removing the panel. (Inside is still the poorly representation of the gunner stations).

E09QbNyl.jpg

"The circle is now complete!"

cKPPpT9l.jpg

Oh I stop at our local little Bricks & Minifigs store here in town (they sell and trade LEGO) and found this little gem for just $10.00. Apparently she has the incorrect lightsaber (blue instead of green) which was easily remedy.

mQmuQ1ll.jpg

mrkgoo

That xwing is so cool. You guys are so good at this.

Is there any site or info about what sets get released where? I would've thought every country gets every current set, but anecdotally I've found it very tough to get certain sets.

Top Bottom