• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

maaaan i have one, if it really reach that price i'll end up selling it. So many awesome sets to buy with that money....

I'm with you on that. The zombie groom and bride are nice, but not THAT NICE. I prefer the CMF and limo zombie to the zombie groom and bride. Besides the zombie groom and bride, I don't think anything is unique to that set that warrants such a after market price spike.

I'm with you on that. The zombie groom and bride are nice, but not THAT NICE. I prefer the CMF and limo zombie to the zombie groom and bride. Besides the zombie groom and bride, I don't think anything is unique to that set that warrants such a after market price spike.
While I loved the set especially the vehicle, the aftermarket price is insane.

Is there any reason why that set went up so high? I though all Monster set are still in production. Then again, I never saw the Zombie set at my local Target.
It was in print for two months or so. Combine that with limited retail presence and exclusive figures and you have a big aftermarket spike.
I was lucky to snag it when I saw it at Target last summer. I had no idea it would explode like that.

So far this affects the Mummy, Vampyre Hearse, and Vampyre Castle. Apparently you can tell which one it is by looking at the box - the newer ones have lost the "glow-effect" that is shown on the box.

Does this affect the Mummy's horse or only the stickers? (I already have a Mummy but I might want another glow-in-the-dark horse.)

ghostmind

Torhthelm Tídwald;53079654 said:
Does this affect the Mummy's horse or only the stickers? (I already have a Mummy but I might want another glow-in-the-dark horse.)

I believe it is just the Mummy himself - the glow in the dark printing on him.

Milamber

It went OOP awhile ago, and was only at Target and Lego.
Apparently they're hard to come by. Can't find them in Dutch stores at all.
Thanks for the info.

Going rate is now about 150 USD on amazon/ebay, so depending on your exchange rate/shipping situation they're pretty nice. I'd expect it to max out after Halloween around 200.

Heck, just buy them all for me and send me the minifigs >.>
Hmm, the set converts to just under $75 over here (I hate the US for their pricing), shipping may bring this to $100 if I use the UPS route.

Kryten

Birthday time! My wife told me "if you want Lego, go buy it yourself" so the Technic Helicopter (9396) is on it's way!! (coincidentally I was able to get it for 20% off, which puts it at around the USD retail price for a change).

The Zombies set (9465) is somewhat readily available here in NZ at retail stores - it's bloody strange how Lego mismanage their product like this, really.

Milamber

I have not been posting on this thread as often as before because I have stopped buying CREATOR sets for a good while now.

I have been, instead, buying up Technic sets instead. Currently got...

8051 Motorbike
8070 Super Car
8071 Bucket Truck
9394 Jet Plane
9396 Helicopter
42000 Grand Prix Racer
42007 Moto Cross Bike

9398 4x4 Crawler still eludes me as the going price for it is like $353.93 over here, that's $150 more than the US one.

T_T

flyingpig

Neo Member
Thanks for the info.

Hmm, the set converts to just under $75 over here (I hate the US for their pricing), shipping may bring this to $100 if I use the UPS route.

Yeah, the inventory left on the us amazon is 90% Japanese resellers at this point. Crazy that this was a $40 msrp set.

If you do go the resale route, don't forget the ebay/amazon cut is about 15-20%.

robjoh

About the monster fighters sets, I bought the crazy scientist set and I did like the build (but the car was not great) and the minifigs. I however mostly buy sets to get parts to do my own MOC with, so the reason for the crazy scientist was to build a crazy scientist university sometime in the future (need more parts first). Now I am wondering if it is worth to buy some of the other sets of Monster Fighters. The sets I am looking at for the moment are:

1, The Vampyre Hearse, for the Zombie and some more black parts and it looks quit nice. Like the hot rod design

2, The wearwolf, mostly because I want more brown pieces and do think the minifig looks nice.

3, The Ghost Train, this I do have problem to say why I should buy. I have no interest in the minifigs, so the only reason why I would buy it is the train parts and the air aircraft parts. I can buy this set with 25% off for the moment, is it worth it?

So what do you all think about these sets?

About the monster fighters sets, I bought the crazy scientist set and I did like the build (but the car was not great) and the minifigs. I however mostly buy sets to get parts to do my own MOC with, so the reason for the crazy scientist was to build a crazy scientist university sometime in the future (need more parts first). Now I am wondering if it is worth to buy some of the other sets of Monster Fighters. The sets I am looking at for the moment are:

1, The Vampyre Hearse, for the Zombie and some more black parts and it looks quit nice. Like the hot rod design

2, The wearwolf, mostly because I want more brown pieces and do think the minifig looks nice.

3, The Ghost Train, this I do have problem to say why I should buy. I have no interest in the minifigs, so the only reason why I would buy it is the train parts and the air aircraft parts. I can buy this set with 25% off for the moment, is it worth it?

They're all very good sets especially the Hearse and the Train. I have the werewolf set but haven't put it together but both the Hearse and Train are really fun looking sets.

EDIT: Oh and my Lego Store didn't have the Lone Ranger sets in so I opted to buy An Unexpected Gathering set. Whooooo!

If you want brown pieces, the Warg Attack Hobbit set gives you a ton of brown and lots of tree pieces.

Ironmask

i wanted to review the quinjet but i realized that it would be only a love letter to this set.

I've spent two hours building it and in every page i've learned something neat to do, smart ideas to save space and keep the building solid.

I love keeping it on my desk and sometimes swoosh it around, moving the flaps, releasing the droid and launching the missile to the HP minifigs on my shelves. The minifigs included are a plus, the quinjet is as iconic as them.
One of the funniest toys i ever had in all my life, really!!!

The highlight of the Werewolf set is the werewolf itself. But the blend of different shades of brown is nice for Mocs. So are the vines and ivy pieces.

I still need the other two. Should snag those soon.

i wanted to review the quinjet but i realized that it would be only a love letter to this set.

I've spent two hours building it and in every page i've learned something neat to do, smart ideas to save space and keep the building solid.

I love keeping it on my desk and sometimes swoosh it around, moving the flaps, releasing the droid and launching the missile to the HP minifigs on my shelves. The minifigs included are a plus, the quinjet is as iconic as them.
One of the funniest toys i ever had in all my life, really!!!

Quinjet strikes again! Glad you loved it as much as I and many others did. That set was still my favorite surprise of last year. I was not expecting it to be quite that awesome. I had only gotten it for figures and parts but fell in love with it very fast.

Dragoshi1

Ordered the Lizard Man minifig from series 5 for about $4.50, woohoo! No shipping either, which is even better.

This week I hope to track down either;

Cragger's Command Ship
The Daily Bugle set
Or the TMNT Lair Attack

Also tracking down the Red/Black Dragon from Lego Castle 2007, Ebay has it over $29.99, and individual pieces of it about 3-7 bucks. Doesn't help the sets it comes from are so out of print that they cost upwards of $300+ dollars.

Ordered the Lizard Man minifig from series 5 for about $4.50, woohoo! No shipping either, which is even better.

Cragger's Command Ship
The Daily Bugle set
Or the TMNT Lair Attack

Also tracking down the Red/Black Dragon from Lego Castle 2007, Ebay has it over $29.99, and individual pieces of it about 3-7 bucks. Doesn't help the sets it comes from are so out of print that they cost upwards of $300+ dollars.
The Daily Bugle set is meh. The build kinda sucks, but the parts included are great for modular Mocs.
However, all the figures included are killer. That is the real reason for that set. :)

Cragger's Command Ship
The Daily Bugle set
Or the TMNT Lair Attack

The dragon is quite cool. If I was a little more patient, I would have waited for the new Castle set in August, but it was more or less worth $30 to me.

I'm thinking the general Hobbit hype now contributes to making the dragon valuable, but I'm expecting a huge Smaug to be released eventually. They can't not do that, it's THE iconic scene, moreso than even the balrog. However, considering the ridiculous security, I'm thinking Lego won't have the set this year even if the majority of the Smaug action is in this movie. Weta doesn't want merchandise to spoil their design - again. If Richard Armitage and Ian McKellen don't know what Smaug looks like yet, I doubt anyone at Lego does either.

The treasure chamber in general will be interesting. I'm guessing Smaug will come with some generic mountains of gold/treasure chests/props, that there will be a small Bilbo + Arkenstone set with more gold, and probably an armoury set with a few updated dwarves and loads of weapons.

That's the Erebor sets I see coming, anyway. Unless they invent something new, there's not a lot around the mountain that makes for interesting toys.

Well, my daughter and I went to LEGO store yesterday and after some consideration we decided on Millennium Falcon. ]

Great pics. The lighting and white balance is very consistent on your shots. what camera did you use?

I built a minfig-scaled X-Wing. I´m very glad with the final result:

IMG_20130328_141959-1.jpg

IMG_20130328_142135-1.jpg

IMG_20130328_142540-1.jpg

Wow. I think this looks much better than the current X-Wing. Great work.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Well. I made it through double VIP without buying anything. After last year's spending spree I am trying to cut down on the items I buy. That and I am pretty well caught up, at least compared to everything I wanted last year. And the good thing is I don't feel the need to rush to buy some of these items as they have just been released. I will try and pick up Haunted House before the end of the year, and I might see what happens on May 4th. Hopefully I can make some purchases in October for Double VIP then. That way I don't waster perfectly good points.

robjoh

They're all very good sets especially the Hearse and the Train. I have the werewolf set but haven't put it together but both the Hearse and Train are really fun looking sets.

What do you think about the parts? Something you could build other stuff with?

If you want brown pieces, the Warg Attack Hobbit set gives you a ton of brown and lots of tree pieces.

Thanks for the information, I sadly have no interest in the hobbit line. I try to buy things that I would like to build and than dismantle them for MoC.

The highlight of the Werewolf set is the werewolf itself. But the blend of different shades of brown is nice for Mocs. So are the vines and ivy pieces.

So a good mix of pieces and a nice minifig. Thanks for the information.

Well. I made it through double VIP without buying anything. .

Well apparently we all fail at being enablers for you. We need to step up our game. Great resolve by the way, surely stronger will than PhoncipleBone here, or me. I swear I got enough LEGO this week from that Falcon set but while at the store this morning I came across box of Minifigures and can't help but feel the bag. I have the hardest time finding the Knight but this morning it just click for me and I got two Knights. I also just notice policeman (perfect for SuperHeroes set) and Jackyl and Hyde, which I think would go great with Monster set, so I felt the bag for those two and got them both. 4 for 4, I am getting good at this. Only one I want is that roller derby but not sure what I should feel for ... the helmet just seem generic like hair piece.

Great pics. The lighting and white balance is very consistent on your shots. what camera did you use?

Thanks, I am just using the camera on my smartphone. (Nokia Lumia 920)

Well apparently we all fail at being enablers for you. We need to step up our game. Great resolve by the way, surely stronger will than PhoncipleBone here, or me. I swear I got enough LEGO this week from that Falcon set but while at the store this morning I came across box of Minifigures and can't help but feel the bag. I have the hardest time finding the Knight but this morning it just click for me and I got two Knights. I also just notice policeman (perfect for SuperHeroes set) and Jackyl and Hyde) so I felt the bag for those two and got them both. 4 for 4, I am getting good at this. Only one I want is that roller derby but not sure what I should feel for ... the helmet just seem generic like hair piece.

I am just using the camera on my smartphone. (Nokia Lumia 920)
I didn't buy anything from Lego during double VIP.
just target, wal mart, and BN for Galaxy Squad and Sith Fury

what the...first I've heard of it. Could be so awesome

There was a big story on it in the last month issue of Game Informer. Now if we can get DC VS Marvel LEGO that would be epic but I will take what we can get. It's pretty amazing we are getting Marvel game consider Telltale game is being publish by WB.

Finally finishing up sorting the huge box of LEGO we picked up. There's some final checking to be done, and I'll need to source some missing pieces, but it looks like we've got:

4953 - Fast Flyers
6207 - A-Wing
7146 - TIE Fighter (~50% complete)
7237 - Police Station
7239 - Fire Truck
7249 - XXL Mobile Crane (~50% complete)
7685 - Dozer
7723 - Police Seaplane (~50% complete)
7774 - Crab Crusher (~50% complete)
7900 - Heavy Loader (~50-75% complete)
7945 - Fire Station
8642 - Monster Crusher

...plus maybe another 3-4 small sets which I haven't been able to identify from parts yet.

It's taken around 12 hours to get to this stage, and I reckon there's another couple of hours of sorting pieces and identifying all the missing elements so I can Bricklink them but I'm pretty happy with what we've got so far!

Dragoshi1

The dragon is quite cool. If I was a little more patient, I would have waited for the new Castle set in August, but it was more or less worth $30 to me.

I'm thinking the general Hobbit hype now contributes to making the dragon valuable, but I'm expecting a huge Smaug to be released eventually. They can't not do that, it's THE iconic scene, moreso than even the balrog. However, considering the ridiculous security, I'm thinking Lego won't have the set this year even if the majority of the Smaug action is in this movie. Weta doesn't want merchandise to spoil their design - again. If Richard Armitage and Ian McKellen don't know what Smaug looks like yet, I doubt anyone at Lego does either.

The treasure chamber in general will be interesting. I'm guessing Smaug will come with some generic mountains of gold/treasure chests/props, that there will be a small Bilbo + Arkenstone set with more gold, and probably an armoury set with a few updated dwarves and loads of weapons.

That's the Erebor sets I see coming, anyway. Unless they invent something new, there's not a lot around the mountain that makes for interesting toys.

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a 50 dollar set coming in March that has a new Dragon.

I may wait for that one, unless I can find the 2007 Dragon cheap somewhere.

Well. I made it through double VIP without buying anything. After last year's spending spree I am trying to cut down on the items I buy. That and I am pretty well caught up, at least compared to everything I wanted last year. And the good thing is I don't feel the need to rush to buy some of these items as they have just been released. I will try and pick up Haunted House before the end of the year, and I might see what happens on May 4th. Hopefully I can make some purchases in October for Double VIP then. That way I don't waster perfectly good points.

Me too, skipped double VIP, just seems silly continuing to fill my wardrobe with sets I currently cannot build or display.
Time to save some money ;)

rallaren

Got three boxes of Lego from different places, ordered different days, today! Yay!

9398 4x4 Crawler

79100 Kraang Lab Escape - Love Kraang and his "vehicle".
70500 Kai's Fire Mech - Pretty cool but with annoyingly loose parts, the sword in the mech hand included.
6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

5984 Lunar Limo
5982 Smash 'n' Grab
5972 Container Heist
I like these 3. Would've gotten 5973 Hyperspeed Pursuit too if the seller had it. Looks like a cool theme.

Precisely.

Ainaurdur

I am also passing (with the exception of my PaB Cup and Fierce Flyer pickup in NYC last week) on double points. The only other temptation was for something truly exclusive like the Hayabusa. But then shipping and tax kick in.

Most of the other sets I am still waiting to get, can be found elsewhere for cheaper, free shipping, no tax etc. So they outweigh the savings from double VIP points. At times I feel bad about that, but in the case of some sets when the savings is $20+ to get them elsewhere, I cannot ignore it.

Double vip purchases: 9 series 9 minifigs and Orc Forge.

Done with buying lego until series 10 figs happen, at which point I'll buy a few, and gift a few. Then, after that, nothing til I have a free-shipping event or OoP panic.

Oh god helm's deep please stay in print. I can live w/o moria and goblin king but the second you go "retiring soon" my will will break

So currently the plan for May 4th is this:

Buy Jabba's Palace IF discounted heavily in order to get the Han figure

OR

Buy another SW set if JP is NOT discounted to get Han! but... which one?

I already have

R2
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Y-Wing
A-Wing
SSD

Which other sets are about to go OOP that are worth getting?

Confused about B-Wing, not sure if i'd like it as a display piece hmmm

Ironmask

Finally finishing up sorting the huge box of LEGO we picked up. There's some final checking to be done, and I'll need to source some missing pieces, but it looks like we've got:

4953 - Fast Flyers
6207 - A-Wing
7146 - TIE Fighter (~50% complete)
7237 - Police Station
7239 - Fire Truck
7249 - XXL Mobile Crane (~50% complete)
7685 - Dozer
7723 - Police Seaplane (~50% complete)
7774 - Crab Crusher (~50% complete)
7900 - Heavy Loader (~50-75% complete)
7945 - Fire Station
8642 - Monster Crusher

...plus maybe another 3-4 small sets which I haven't been able to identify from parts yet.

It's taken around 12 hours to get to this stage, and I reckon there's another couple of hours of sorting pieces and identifying all the missing elements so I can Bricklink them but I'm pretty happy with what we've got so far!

maaaaan i'm so jelly for your 7249 and 7900 get, my sweet spot is Lego System type construction machine but i entered the LEGOmania at least 2 years late :(:(:(

maaaaan i'm so jelly for your 7249 and 7900 get, my sweet spot is Lego System type construction machine but i entered the LEGOmania at least 2 years late :(:(:(

I'm still trying to figure out how much it's going to cost to replace the missing parts, so don't get too jelly ;-) Looks like most of the big/odd parts are there, so hopefully the missing pieces will be cheap enough to source.

£60 for the box is beginning to look like a real bargain, assuming we come out with not too many in the way of missing (and expensive missing) pieces.

So currently the plan for May 4th is this:

Buy Jabba's Palace IF discounted heavily in order to get the Han figure

OR

Buy another SW set if JP is NOT discounted to get Han! but... which one?

I already have

R2
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Y-Wing
A-Wing
SSD

Which other sets are about to go OOP that are worth getting?

Confused about B-Wing, not sure if i'd like it as a display piece hmmm
See the B Wing assembled in person. It is huge and glorious.

65AGPjH.jpg

For completeness I took a picture of the stuff I've built over the last week or so. Mostly small Space sets. The Forbidden Island is nothing I plan to keep, but it was a good way to clear the bag of pirate themed pieces. The pneumatic forklift surprisingly works relatively well after all this time, although it was always a bit over-engineered with the double steering. Really complex build too.

I had a "doh" moment as well. I had been missing a bunch of minifig accessories that I was quite sure I had seen recently. I went rummaging through my new Lego for a replacement piece and found a bag of a ton of accessories that somehow got into my new Lego crate, including the rare yellow plume for Gov Broadside, a green whip, Ice Planet antennas and more. Good thing I hadn't ordered any replacements...

Also pictured: Bricklink's inventory page (essential for sorting out what I need) and my checklist of missing pieces.

Hmm will think about it, any other sets to watch out for though since not ALL will be on sale that day right?

Thinking of maybe getting Death Star but ugh the price keeps me at bay so far, maybe with a big discount!
B Wing sale is what I have been holding out for. But seriously, if you have an even passing love for Star Wars, get the Best Star.

B Wing sale is what I have been holding out for. But seriously, if you have an even passing love for Star Wars, get the Best Star.

I would have gotten it long ago if not for the fact that it is a playset more than a Display piece which i usually go for... and at that price too!

I now am reluctantly starting to look at it in a different way though, more that i see it as a number of different vignettes that COULD be considered as several individual display pieces as well ;)

Won't there be a new DS though at some point? the included minifigs are pretty outdated looking compared to many of the newer ones i already have now but i guess that shouldn't deter me...

Fowler

I would have gotten it long ago if not for the fact that it is a playset more than a Display piece which i usually go for... and at that price too!

I now am reluctantly starting to look at it in a different way though, more that i see it as a number of different vignettes that COULD be considered as several individual display pieces as well ;)

Won't there be a new DS though at some point? the included minifigs are pretty outdated looking compared to many of the newer ones i already have now but i guess that shouldn't deter me...

I honestly consider the BEST STAR to be the best display piece of them all. It just BEGS people to come in closer for a look at all the great scenes from one of the most iconic movies of all time. It's really amazing.

I built a minfig-scaled X-Wing. I´m very glad with the final result:

IMG_20130328_141959-1.jpg

To echo others, this is a tremendous effort. I love the initiative you took in building something that has been done many times, but doing so efficiently and stylishly.

Me too, skipped double VIP, just seems silly continuing to fill my wardrobe with sets I currently cannot build or display.

Good for you-I did the same. Holding out for "something" on May 4.

I stopped by a few toy stores in the NJ/PHI area today but couldn't find any noteworthy deals. TRU had the Falcon for $114 but my suitcase is not big enough. For reference it is $179 in Canada. No polybags either.

Marko723

Neo Member
Caved and ordered the following during double VIP.

60010 Fire Helicopter
60005 Fire Boat
10228 Haunted House
7280 X2 Straight & Crossroad Plates
7281 X2 T-Junction & Curved Road Plates
10232 Palace Cinema
10224 Town Hall
850426 Pencil Holder
850674 LEGO® The Lord of the Rings™ Frodo Baggins™ Key Chain

Top Bottom