• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Caved and ordered the following during double VIP.

60010 Fire Helicopter
60005 Fire Boat
10228 Haunted House
7280 X2 Straight & Crossroad Plates
7281 X2 T-Junction & Curved Road Plates
10232 Palace Cinema
10224 Town Hall
850426 Pencil Holder
850674 LEGO® The Lord of the Rings™ Frodo Baggins™ Key Chain

Oh my god. That's not a cave-in, that's a carefully planned demolition executed with nukes. On the bright side, enjoy damn near anythiing for free next time you shop.

neonglow

60010 Fire Helicopter
60005 Fire Boat
10228 Haunted House
10232 Palace Cinema
10224 Town Hall
850426 Pencil Holder

You'll have plenty of credit for May the 4th!

ghostmind

60010 Fire Helicopter
60005 Fire Boat
10228 Haunted House
10232 Palace Cinema
10224 Town Hall
850426 Pencil Holder

That is a quality haul there, congrats! What are your plans for the road plates?

Marko723

Neo Member
That is a quality haul there, congrats! What are your plans for the road plates?

My kids are slowly building a LEGO City, and want to expand their roads to link all their sets. Currently they have the Police station, forest police, The Mine, Airport, and space centre. Right now they only have a few road plates.

Marko723

Neo Member
That set quickly shot up on my best of list. So amazing. And not a bank breaker either.

Hope to get some shelving this weekend if I can find some free time. The wife has gone back to school and my weekends are usually filled by keeping the kids out of her hair. Not sure if I want to brave the ikea crowds with them.

Once I have the shelves up, I hope to start building. Fire Brigade is first on my list.

Hope to get some shelving this weekend if I can find some free time. The wife has gone back to school and my weekends are usually filled by keeping the kids out of her hair. Not sure if I want to brave the ikea crowds with them.

Once I have the shelves up, I hope to start building. Fire Brigade is first on my list.
What is your total backlog looking like? Curious about planned order as well.

Marko723

Neo Member
What is your total backlog looking like? Curious about planned order as well.

I believe I have the following on my list.

Technic Motorized Excavator
Technic Pick-up Tow Truck
Queen Anne's Revenge
The Black Pearl
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
VW Camper
Tower Bridge
Haunted House
Palace Cinema
Town Hall

My kids are in to the LEGO City, but have also strayed in to Galaxy Squad and Monster Fighters as well

My wife thinks the Death Star is cool.... so... that might be a future purchase

I want the new 42009 Mobile Crane Mk II when it comes out.

I believe I have the following on my list.

Technic Motorized Excavator
Queen Anne's Revenge
The Black Pearl
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Pet Shop
VW Camper
Tower Bridge
Haunted House
Palace Cinema
Town Hall

My kids are in to the LEGO City, but have also strayed in to Galaxy Squad and Monster Fighters as well
I would say hold Haunted House until October. Other than that, save Tower Bridge for last. Do all the modulars in a row, in chronological order.

Marko723

Neo Member
I would say hold Haunted House until October. Other than that, save Tower Bridge for last. Do all the modulars in a row, in chronological order.

You're reading my mind. :) Oh, I also have the Winter Cottage, Post Office and Bakery. They are tucked away for a Xmas build.

You're reading my mind. :) Oh, I also have the Winder Cottage, Post Office and Bakery. They are tucked away for a Xmas build.
I have Winter Cottage tucked away unopened as well.

But looking at your list, I wonder if it would work better to alternate between a modular and another set. Spread the modular love out, and have a few smaller builds in between.

And something to keep in mind with Tower Bridge: no numbered bags. It is all or nothing. Plan accordingly because it is a LONG build.

Marko723

Neo Member
I have Winter Cottage tucked away unopened as well.

But looking at your list, I wonder if it would work better to alternate between a modular and another set. Spread the modular love out, and have a few smaller builds in between.

And something to keep in mind with Tower Bridge: no numbered bags. It is all or nothing. Plan accordingly because it is a LONG build.

Looking forward starting. So far all I've built is the Fierce Flyer and the Highway Speedster due to the space issue. But once I have a couple shelves up I can get serious.

ghostmind

My kids are slowly building a LEGO City, and want to expand their roads to link all their sets. Currently they have the Police station, forest police, The Mine, Airport, and space centre. Right now they only have a few road plates.

Sweet! I've thought about doing that, but my son is into Ninjago and not City.... unless... a Ninja City?

When we were at LEGO store, my daughter made a comment about Hero Factory on how sad they are that they are just relegate to small corner. She said the Bionicles were so cool and they come in nice little can and she wonder why LEGO switch them into these ugly bags that look like something potato chip bag.

So why are Hero Factory doing poorly? Are kids just burn out of Bionicle style figures? Are the story not as good? I remember my son was so into Bionicles, we got all the movies dvd. My nephew (whom we gave all my son Bionicles to several years back, was also crazy about Bionicles.

On another note, browsing Wal-Mart.com and found they have several LEGO set bundle together at discounted price.... temptation at every corners.

hmmblah

That set quickly shot up on my best of list. So amazing. And not a bank breaker either.

I tried to start this build last week. Only had about an hour to build so figured I'd do the first bag or two. When I opened the box and found the bags weren't numbered, I was both excited and disappointed. It's going to have to wait until a day where I have more time.

I started Horizon Express instead. I've only had time to build the main engine. There were some really cool techniques, the chevrons went together nicely, but the crowning glory was the upside down pieces on the front. I have all the power functions ready to go except for the lights which should be with me by Friday.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Half way through OT 2. Crazy to think.

I tried to start this build last week. Only had about an hour to build so figured I'd do the first bag or two. When I opened the box and found the bags weren't numbered, I was both excited and disappointed. It's going to have to wait until a day where I have more time.

I started Horizon Express instead. I've only had time to build the main engine. There were some really cool techniques, the chevrons went together nicely, but the crowning glory was the upside down pieces on the front. I have all the power functions ready to go except for the lights which should be with me by Friday.
I forgot about VW not having numbered bags.

But glad you are loving Horizon so far. The last two cars are cool as well, and I am curious if you have the same issue with the roofs that I and I think it was mrklaw had.

captainblye

Neo Member
So, I find myself sitting on $30.00 in amazon credit...and I can't decide between:

1) Crazy Scientist and his monster
2) Vampyre Hearse + The Mummy
3) Reccomend some fun sets for about the same price...The only two sets I have at this point are Power Mech & Riddles For The Ring (And the host of Friends sets that my daughter owns).

GAF, What Would You Do?

So, I find myself sitting on $30.00 in amazon credit...and I can't decide between:

3) Reccomend some fun sets for about the same price...The only two sets I have at this point are Power Mech & Riddles For The Ring (And the host of Friends sets that my daughter owns).

GAF, What Would You Do?

Hearse because it's a really spiffy looking car and it has vampires.

GAF, What Would You Do?

I was sliiightly disappointed by crazy scientist and his monster. Wish I'd waited to find it on sale instead.

Go with that other monster fighters option, maybe.

If I were to spend 50 bucks on lego off amazon right now, I would personally be grabbing smaller superhero sets. Either the new iron man one w his lab, or batman and mr freeze's set plus one of the 20 dollar marvel sets.

I was looking at some older sets and it's a bit surprising that very many sets aren't worth very much, even if they're really old and complete with boxes. Is there just not enough demand? I'd think boxed Lego from the 80's would be pretty rare by now.

Also, is there any piece that is actually valuable except for minifig parts? I've found that some sellers overprice stuff like pirate flags but there are usually someone with a reasonable price.

I'd think unique pieces like the huge windscreen on the M:Tron rolling base would be costly, but no.

Or does Lego actually work to get rare pieces into circulation again so the prices don't climb?

those evil evil people.
I seriously believe they are missing out on sales $$$ by not having free shipping all the time.

Gotta be. High shipping costs frequently drive me to shop on amazon instead. The only exceptions are generally the exclusives and the minifigures. Minifigs with shipping still usually beat the cost off amazon per fig.

ON THAT NOTE. SERIES 9 FIGS:

Got 2 forest maidens, which I'm so ok with b/c they can join the hobbit-elves, A second space-orc, which is still not nearly enough space-orc, a second cop, whose life seems meaningless when lego city currently has batman, robin, superman, wonder woman, and a fire department to defend 2 buildings and a funhouse, a second orange space-bot-mini-gundam-looking dude, who's the only disappointing one here, and the MAJESTIC dr. jekyll, who gets to moonlight as 2 face b/c I don't think the actual 2-face set is worth 50 bucks. If that shit had a 500 piece bank with no cars, I'd jump on that shit. Instead, there's a 100 piece bank and 400 pieces of vehicle.

How's the current lego city museum heist set? I'd be down for some bat-friendly criminal action.

Also, can I hear some opinions if anyone bought the Bane set? Any buyers' remorse? Doesn't look too hot to me but it would be 30 bucks just to bricklink gordon and bane...

EDIT: Seriously though, do they realize how violently they would abuse my wallet if they had free shipping all the time? Double VIP + free shipping sold me a damn modular last year. That had to be a profitable transaction. They would kill me if that became a more common thing.

65AGPjH.jpg

For completeness I took a picture of the stuff I've built over the last week or so. Mostly small Space sets. The Forbidden Island is nothing I plan to keep, but it was a good way to clear the bag of pirate themed pieces. The pneumatic forklift surprisingly works relatively well after all this time, although it was always a bit over-engineered with the double steering. Really complex build too.

I had a "doh" moment as well. I had been missing a bunch of minifig accessories that I was quite sure I had seen recently. I went rummaging through my new Lego for a replacement piece and found a bag of a ton of accessories that somehow got into my new Lego crate, including the rare yellow plume for Gov Broadside, a green whip, Ice Planet antennas and more. Good thing I hadn't ordered any replacements...

Also pictured: Bricklink's inventory page (essential for sorting out what I need) and my checklist of missing pieces.

I have that forklift._O_

I think the bottom three sets are also part of the big family box at my parents house.

Dragoshi1

Amazon has the City Police Station and Forest Police Station on sale for $59.99 and $71.99 respectively.

I also have the free trial of Amazon Prime for 30 days, so I'll be able to get whichever one by Thursday with the free shipping.

But I'm thinking about it, I want just one, and it's better than paying $80 or $100 for them, but I don't want to totally destroy my wallet.

I hope the sale is still around when I sell my Xbox 360, I can use that money to get both.

GAF, What Would You Do?

Wait for Lone Ranger Stage Coach set then get it for $30 or less. Currently 3rd parties only show up with higher than MSRP prices for me.

or

Almost any of the $20 super hero sets (Lex Luthor Mech tops list)
+
~$10 LEGO set (Kai's Fire Mech is good)

ghostmind

This is exactly my problem :D

Vampyre Hearse + Gandalf Arrives could be fun.
Curse you LEGO, for putting out too many quality products!

Vampyre Hearse was a fun build, and Gandalf Arrives is one of the better LotR sets.

Word is that Lone Ranger sets will be in LEGO stores within the next 2 weeks. The stagecoach is pretty sweet.

Oh cool, never noticed this thread but glad I found it. I recently started collecting the Dino sets. I have 3 of them on the way from Amazon in a couple days, leaving me with only the biggest (and most expensive) set left to buy.

It's funny, I liked Legos as a kid, but never bought any after childhood. However once I started buying the Dino sets I now have this urge to buy more sets whenever I see them. Pretty dangerous for my wallet, but fortunately I don't like a lot of the sets I've seen lately.

With that said, here's a little pic I took the other day while putting together the last Dino set I got while simultaneously getting excited to see Jurassic Park 3D.

1cad7ea29ef111e29d7122000a1f97c6_7.jpg

"Clever girl."

Oh cool, never noticed this thread but glad I found it. I recently started collecting the Dino sets. I have 3 of them on the way from Amazon in a couple days, leaving me with only the biggest (and most expensive) set left to buy.

It's funny, I liked Legos as a kid, but never bought any after childhood. However once I started buying the Dino sets I now have this urge to buy more sets whenever I see them. Pretty dangerous for my wallet, but fortunately I don't like a lot of the sets I've seen lately.

Ah, yes, the "I'm not really interested in that set/theme." I've thought similarly many times. After seeing reviews/raves here or on other LEGO sites, I sometimes find myself at home with new LEGO sets I didn't want and a crying wallet with no recollection of what happened.

Welcome...

lol, yeah I can definitely see that happening. I went to Toys R Us yesterday looking for more Dino sets and was pretty tempted to pick up a TMNT set. Going to the LEGO Store is always dangerous, especially when I see those Architecture sets..

lol, yeah I can definitely see that happening. I went to Toys R Us yesterday looking for more Dino sets and was pretty tempted to pick up a TMNT set. Going to the LEGO Store is always dangerous, especially when I see those Architecture sets..
First thing to learn: be careful at Toys R Us. Make sure you know MSRP of sets before buying there, even if they are on sale. Most times, even after discount, TRU is still higher priced.

If you have a dedicated Lego store near, best to stick to that unless there are crazy deals.

neonglow

First thing to learn: be careful at Toys R Us. Make sure you know MSRP of sets before buying there, even if they are on sale. Most times, even after discount, TRU is still higher priced.

If you have a dedicated Lego store near, best to stick to that unless there are crazy deals.

Knowing MSRP is very important. I would install one of the following apps:

http://brickset.com/miscellaneous/mobileApps/

They all take data from Brickset's database.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah usually TRU is more expensive, but I had a 20% off coupon I was going to try to use. They didn't have any of the sets I wanted anyway, so I left. I actually had them in my Amazon cart ready to check out, I was just checking TRU to see if they had the sets at all, and if so, if they'd be cheaper than Amazon with the coupon. They have a really limited selection anyway, so I don't usually go there. I was just on my way home from work. Appreciate it though.

Marko723

Neo Member
Sweet! I've thought about doing that, but my son is into Ninjago and not City.... unless... a Ninja City?

I confined their LEGO city to the basement recroom. They have a 4' X 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood to build on, which keep pieces from being stepped on. The plywood also provide a solid level surface that allows them to connect the base plates from their sets to each other as well as the road plates.

Top Bottom