• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Wolverine set had Deadpool.
Daily Bugle set had Spidey, JJJ, Nova, and Doom.

I regret nothing.

K you just sold me wolverine.

Still can't justify the daily bugle. Still ain't buying any of that avengers line. Still won't buy two-face except at the deepest of discounts. Still dreading the day I crack and buy the bane's tumbler set.

All superhero sets are basically worth it for the figs!

PS: The two face chase set is worth it for dat Batmobile, that is if you dig the older retro styled Batmobile (which i do)

Dark, gothic fantasy vibe > high tech, "realistic" army looking tumbler thingy any day of the week

All superhero sets are basically worth it for the figs!

PS: The two face chase set is worth it for dat Batmobile, that is if you dig the older retro styled Batmobile (which i do)

Dark, gothic fantasy vibe > high tech, "realistic" army looking tumbler thingy any day of the week

Shhhhhhhhhh don't say these things. I do want it, I just want other things more...... It's like how I say I don't want star wars sets even though I know that, beneath the doublethink, I do. It's all relative. Speaking of relatives, my bday is coming up.... hmmm......wonder what I'll get.....

K you just sold me wolverine.

Still can't justify the daily bugle. Still ain't buying any of that avengers line. Still won't buy two-face except at the deepest of discounts. Still dreading the day I crack and buy the bane's tumbler set.
Daily Bugle set is pretty bad except for figs and it is good for moc parts. Dem windows!

For Avengers, the Cap set is cheap and comes with Cap. And you already know how much I gush about Quinjet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Saw this book at B&N today while out shopping with the wife.

Brick City.

9781438002491_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Seems like a REALLY cool book from what I flipped through. Anyone have it?

Daily Bugle set is pretty bad except for figs and it is good for moc parts. Dem windows!

For Avengers, the Cap set is cheap and comes with Cap. And you already know how much I gush about Quinjet.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the cap set just because it's so cheap.... Quinjet is another "budgeted out of my mind" one.

I think a friend is buying daily bugle, I'll look at it when she gets it and decide.

My next purchase will probably be helms' deep, cause I have a couple amazon gift cards. Would be 61 dollars out-of-pocket.

I need an avatar and am gonna make it lego. What lego-avatars are already in use on gaf?

Saw this book at B&N today while out shopping with the wife.

Brick City.

9781438002491_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Seems like a REALLY cool book from what I flipped through. Anyone have it?
I flipped through it today while at BN as well. (Had to get my Dino Defense HQ )Really damn cool stuff in there, and shows some good techniques. The instructions in it are ok sometimes, but it is fascinating to look through. Might buy it soon.

Marko723

Neo Member
Save Tower Bridge for last. Just for how long it will take to finish it and how huge it is.

But you are almost to "dat second floor" of Fire Brigade. I know it is a joke here how much I gush about it, but it truly is a thing of beauty as you build it. Others can attest to the power that second floor holds. The less you know about what goes on in it, the better.

You're 100% right on the 2nd floor! The detail is excellent! Love the fridge and game table. Very interesting technique to get the number on the front of the building, and a bit tricky to have it lie flat. My son and I are about 1/2 through the roof right now, breaking for Supper. This is NOT the 70's LEGO I grew up with!

You're 100% right on the 2nd floor! The detail is excellent! Love the fridge and game table. Very interesting technique to get the number on the front of the building, and a bit tricky to have it lie flat. My son and I are about 1/2 through the roof right now, breaking for Supper. This is NOT the 70's LEGO I grew up with!
The numbering/lettering is much cleaner and easier on Pet Shop and Town Hall.
And what did you think of the brick texture and how you put the car grills in upside down for the windows? Awesome, right?

Marko723

Neo Member
And what did you think of the brick texture and how you put the car grills in upside down for the windows? Awesome, right?

Loved the brick texture even had the wife commenting on how nice it looked. When my son saw the grills he thought there might be more fire trucks to build, until I pointed them out on the cover of the instructions. LEGO is very thoughtful on making pieces that can be used in multiple situations.

We were a little smarter building the 2nd floor, we opened each bag into it's own container. For the 1st floor we just dumped everything into 1 large rubbermaid container. We found it easier to locate pieces during the 2nd floor build.

After the kids go to bed I think I'll pour myself a scotch and finish off the roof.

mmm kind of want town square, reaaaalllly want the statue. I want to expand my lego city over time to give my heroes a better backdrop.

Which of these tiny superhero sets is the best?
Aquaman/mr freeze batman set
the xmen one
the spiderman one with nick fury

(already own lex luthor)

If you're asking the question, then I assume you aren't a big fan of Deadpool and Wolverine. I got it for the 3 minifigures alone. Helicopter is nice, but not my thing. I'm not sure you'll ever see Deadpool as a minifigure anytime soon after that set is gone. My preferences:

1) X-Men
2) Nick Fury
3) Aquaman

No regrets as I want all unique super-hero minifigs. Only regret I have is not getting a 2nd copy of helicopter set when it was something like $14 or $15 on sale.

Finally sold my additional Shuttle Expedition on Craigslist. Time for Pet Shop.

In other news, someone graciously offered me $20 for my complete 8043 excavator. He sweetened the deal by saying he was willing to drive anywhere in the city to make it convenient for me.

R-User!

So, I walk in to Walmart to get some milk, and within 15 seconds of entering, I see it!: A Red $10.00 Clearance Price Tag attached to a Lego Box!!!

I wonder right away what the set is, and then I see it: It's the $50.00 Lego City Marina Boat set!!! MSRP is 49.99!
There were two!
I grabbed them both; one for me and one for my son!! :) Too cool!

Edit: It feels good to get 80% off Lego! :)

ghostmind

The Lone Ranger sets are now available from LEGO S@H and LEGO stores.

I cannot recommend them enough, especially if you are a fan of the Western theme.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Are on the 70's/80's lego. I'm sure techniques have become more interesting since then, but I bet piece availability makes a huge difference. Looking at my collection, there are a ton of small, roughly 1x1/1x2 special pieces (snot/dalek bricks, cones etc) that I don't remember at all back then.

Is there a history online anywhere that shows eg lego part count in different years - ie how big is 'Lego system' in terms of number of brick types in 1975/1980/1985 etc?

they don't have a uniform scale, otherwise there would be no chance of having an x-wing and a destroyer in one series ;p

I know none of the stuff are to scale, even Mini-figs scale ship are not really in scale with one another (otherwise Star Destroyer would be size of a room). What I meant is that would these little ships classified as Mini by collectors or are they Midi (I assume Midi is a bit bigger) and then there are those little Micro one (like the one with Advent Calendar).

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Any Series 10 news yet? They should be out by the end of the month. My LEGO Store didn't even have the Lone Ranger sets in yet. My poor $5 coupon yearns to be spent!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I sure home my VW arrives this week. This has to have been the longest time between the initial shipping email and arrival.

Any Series 10 news yet? They should be out by the end of the month. My LEGO Store didn't even have the Lone Ranger sets in yet. My poor $5 coupon yearns to be spent!
I kind of hoped they'd be out by now since my parents are on an annual trip this weekend and the place has a toyshop where the owner has already opened all the bags so you can just ask for the ones you want.

Chuck

Still without luck
I've been going back and looking at the Star Wars Lego sets throughout the years and man, have they improved. I guess it's in part to them just being okay with doing sets with higher brick count.

ew.

Some surprising ones though. This Darth Vader (bionicle?) one looks pretty cool.

2006 appears to be the breakout year, but my favorite early set is definitely the UCS Snowspeeder from 2003. Amazing looking set.

@_@

Amyone have the motorized AT-AT? Looks awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the motorised AT-AT. It is awesome and the walking is pretty neat too. But I like it mainly just because it looks cool (and is big)

Would love that UCS snowspeeder. That's probably in my top three UCS sets along with the falcon and original star destroyer.

Ironmask

I've already bought it via ebay, they should be sent after the 20th of april. Can't wait to have the complete set!!!!

(on retail will be available after the 10th of may)

Chuck

Still without luck
How about some series 11 news!?

Brickset said:
Amazon.fr has listed the series 11 minifigs and provides a description of them which, roughly translated, is:

"With 16 new figures in Series 11 Special, the LEGO collection continues to grow. Each figure is packed in a bag 'mystery' and accompanied by special accessories, a base and ask for a booklet. Inspired by movies, sports, history or everyday life, this collection includes: a scientist, a female robot, evil, a jazz man, an elf, a policeman, a Bavarian woman, a waitress, a scarecrow, a barbarian, a welder, a mountaineer, a grandmother, a warrior tiki man and gingerbread."

http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=6253

So any of you guys long time LEGO Gaf have opinion on the Atlantis series? The red vehicle really caught my eyes and they still go for reasonable price on Amazon. (I am assuming they were not very popular). I also like all the mechanical sea creatures vehicles.

^ I am jealous of that AT-AT. They should really remake that along with update UCS Snowspeeder.

hmmblah

When I put the Pet Shop together I was dreading the lettering as it was so tedious on the Fire Brigade. Like you said, so much cleaner and easier on both the Pet Shop and Town Hall.

So, I spent the weekend building Tower Bridge. So few visible studs!

Such a beautiful set.

Ironmask

So any of you guys long time LEGO have opinion on the Atlantis series? The red vehicle really caught my eyes and they still go for reasonable price on Amazon. (I am assuming they were not very popular). I also like all the mechanical sea creatures vehicles.

i don't like the whole series as a concept, but if you're into aquatica life and good looking submariners, why not?

ghostmind

I had them beat by a bit - lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44693506&postcount=123

CMF Series 11 (71002) August 2013
Yeti
Evil Mech
Welder
Lady Robot
Jazz Musician
Constable
Holiday Elf
Bavarian Lady
Scarecrow
Mountain Climber
Grandma
Tiki Warrior
Gingerbread Man
Barbarian
Dinner Waitress
Scientist

Though I believe that should be a Diner Waitress, not a Dinner Waitress ;)

Apparently my mother knows the owner of the Lego shop up north I mentioned before. Maybe when I go back (this summer) I'll be able to make a proper video and interview.

ghostmind

Speaking of minifigs, I decided not to bite on that case of Series 10 for $200, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the administrivia of selling off the 44 minifigs that I would have extra.

Of course my indecision led to me missing out on the set of 16 for $60 deal as well.

Ah well.

Apparently my mother knows the owner of the Lego shop up north I mentioned before. Maybe when I go back (this summer) I'll be able to make a proper video and interview.

What LEGO shop was this?

Speaking of minifigs, I decided not to bite on that case of Series 10 for $200, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the administrivia of selling off the 44 minifigs that I would have extra.

Of course my indecision led to me missing out on the set of 16 for $60 deal as well.

Ah well.

What LEGO shop was this?

This one

So any of you guys long time LEGO Gaf have opinion on the Atlantis series? The red vehicle really caught my eyes and they still go for reasonable price on Amazon. (I am assuming they were not very popular). I also like all the mechanical sea creatures vehicles.

^ I am jealous of that AT-AT. They should really remake that along with update UCS Snowspeeder.

The only Atlantis set i got was the City of Atlantis, great looking, almost roman/greek styled set!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
ToysnBricks is saying Fred Meyer has Series 10 figs out now. So I guess they should start popping up many places now.

I went to 3 stores this weekend and they all had 0 minifigs. I swear they don't sell the damn things around me anywhere. I have found them in 1 store ever. Stupid things.

Are on the 70's/80's lego. I'm sure techniques have become more interesting since then, but I bet piece availability makes a huge difference. Looking at my collection, there are a ton of small, roughly 1x1/1x2 special pieces (snot/dalek bricks, cones etc) that I don't remember at all back then.

Is there a history online anywhere that shows eg lego part count in different years - ie how big is 'Lego system' in terms of number of brick types in 1975/1980/1985 etc?

I use brickset.com. http://brickset.com/browse/
Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but they list part count for older sets. They just don't have inventory detail for older sets. I also use bricklink for more complete piece inventory once I find the set.

Not a huge fan of Atlantis series (mainly due to underwater theme isn't my cup of tea), but grabbed sets because they were many that were clearanced or discounted a lot. Hard to say no to 50-70% off any LEGO set. Favorite is the City of Atlantis set. Thought the columns and pieces would be good for a Greek building MOC. Portal of Atlantis was a surprisingly good build and black pieces are always useful. My favorite minifig in that theme is the shark. He makes a good lawyer.

I imagine UCS AT-AT or some special AT-AT release will come around again.

The only Atlantis set i got was the City of Atlantis, great looking, almost roman/greek styled set!

Exactly!

I went to 3 stores this weekend and they all had 0 minifigs. I swear they don't sell the damn things around me anywhere. I have found them in 1 store ever. Stupid things.

Official street date is May 1st. Some stores just let them out early. You also having the same problem finding series 10? I've read on other forums some were having trouble with those even after a month from the official street date.

EDIT: I meant problems finding series 9 not 10.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Official street date is May 1st. Some stores just let them out early. You also having the same problem finding series 10? I've read on other forums some were having trouble with those even after a month from the official street date.

Any series of any minifig. 10 would be awesome. I would like to actually see a series 9....you know before they stop selling them. I guess I can just pretend they never existed, since technically they didn't here.

vladdamad

What did everyone think of the pre-Traveller's Tales Lego games? i remember playing Lego Chess and Creator: Knights Kingdom when i was young, then putting hours into Lego Racers (a decent Mario Kart rip-off) and Lego Island 2 (which, looking back on it, was a little too mini-game heavy). Would love to replay them some day

Ironmask

anyone can help? i just got this pieces

547711_522367057819595_1283395713_n.jpg

since i collect LEGO Harry Potter stuff.

I'm pretty sure that the 2x2 flame with face tile is linked to a scene where Harry talked to Sirius Black through the flames but i don't know wich set does it belongs to.... any tips?

Fowler

anyone can help? i just got this pieces

547711_522367057819595_1283395713_n.jpg

since i collect LEGO Harry Potter stuff.

I'm pretty sure that the 2x2 flame with face tile is linked to a scene where Harry talked to Sirius Black through the flames but i don't know wich set does it belongs to.... any tips?

Looks like Hogwarts... the house banners and Sirius' face in the fire are definitely from that set.

Top Bottom