• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

What did everyone think of the pre-Traveller's Tales Lego games? i remember playing Lego Chess and Creator: Knights Kingdom when i was young, then putting hours into Lego Racers (a decent Mario Kart rip-off) and Lego Island 2 (which, looking back on it, was a little too mini-game heavy). Would love to replay them some day

Man, I played the hell out of Lego Racers when I was in college. I miss that.

Well look like a lot of 'nay' for Atlantis (which probably explain the reason that they are so cheap)...

e1pcNNUl.jpg

Pick up this BARC Speeder with Sidecar because I got that free $10.00 gift card at Wal-Mart. I don't think I would ever pick up this set at full price. I thought the Mini-figs were pretty lame before I realize that it's season 4 Rex and Obi-wan from the Clone Wars.

E2jd7T9l.jpg

The BARC itself is pretty neat especially they incorporate the swivel sidecar just like on the TV show. BARC is bigger than the old version (mostly longer, and I feel that they over did it a bit). I am still not keen on the intake section, I think they could do a lot better. LEGO added a piece to simulate the turbine head but I think it just ended up looking odd.

117E2i8l.jpg

I was dismissive of the Separatist Speeder but it actually looks really nice. Nice SNOT work and look very close to the TV show version. The set comes with two Assassin Droids which are pretty much a dime a dozen. (As much as I enjoy the Clone Wars, I think these special Droids they added are pretty stupid).

aOP4Qcpl.jpg

The real reason for the set is the bad-ass Commander Rex in his Phase 3 armor. Angry (Season 4) Obi-Wan is just a bonus. Every time I look at animated Obi-wan i keep seeing him wearing a horrible fitting toupee.

Ironmask

Apparently, this is Mr. Gold:

8sLyrcH.jpg

Mr. Gold is a Jedi with a gold light saber?! It's obviously supposed to be a pimp cane with a diamond on top.

I don't mind not getting that minifigure, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be feeling for it while I look for the other minifigures.

Marko723

Neo Member
Are on the 70's/80's lego. I'm sure techniques have become more interesting since then, but I bet piece availability makes a huge difference. Looking at my collection, there are a ton of small, roughly 1x1/1x2 special pieces (snot/dalek bricks, cones etc) that I don't remember at all back then.

Is there a history online anywhere that shows eg lego part count in different years - ie how big is 'Lego system' in terms of number of brick types in 1975/1980/1985 etc?

It has really evolved and matured since I was a kid.

lingiii

Banned
Mr. Gold is a Jedi with a gold light saber?! It's obviously supposed to be a pimp cane with a diamond on top.

I don't mind not getting that minifigure, but I'd lie if I said I wouldn't be feeling for it while I look for the other minifigures.

I think he's supposed to hold it by the "saber" part, and the "handle" is some kind of ornamentation on his staff.

Marko723

Neo Member
When I put the Pet Shop together I was dreading the lettering as it was so tedious on the Fire Brigade. Like you said, so much cleaner and easier on both the Pet Shop and Town Hall.

That sounds promising. I must have messed around for 15 minutes trying to get everything lined up on the Fire Brigade. Still have to finish the roof, my oldest son made me promise not continue without him. He's got a function tonight at school so we're problably not going to get back to it till tomorrow.

Marko723

Neo Member
The numbering/lettering is much cleaner and easier on Pet Shop and Town Hall.
And what did you think of the brick texture and how you put the car grills in upside down for the windows? Awesome, right?

Any reason they don't use a single baseplate? I found it strange they used 2 smaller ones for the base.

Ponn

Banned
Don't have the money right now but Amazon has the Haunted House for $10 off at $169. Free shipping and no tax for most people mighty tempting.

R-User!

Apparently, this is Mr. Gold:

8sLyrcH.jpg

Welcome to Scratch City!

Edit: What's amazing about that Minifig is what people will pay for him due to his rareness. His look is cool enough I guess, but imagine if YOU got him.... ....wouldn't you think about how much real gold that you could buy after selling him!? :)

golem

I've been keeping my out for a good deal on this...do you think it's worth the $225 a used set is going for these days? (or $300 new)

I think its worth it.. some people complain that it isnt the most accurate of models, but it does come with a crazy technic build and motor inside to get it walking. I would be very surprised if the next version they make of it would be motorized again and I also can't see it coming before remakes of more popular UCS Star Wars vehicles like the Tie or MF (since they seem to be starting again with the X-Wing).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I own the Midi one, I thought it was huge and it took forever to put together. Seeing it next to the others just astonishes me.

Yep, that's the first time i realised the full scale of the UCS. Does make me wonder if they did a new UCS whether they'd make it slightly smaller - 5000 bricks is almost unheard of these days

Ugh.

The collector in me is losing my mind with the knowledge that I probably won't get him.

Makes me relieved to not be a minifig collector

How early do we usually find out what the the sales will be for the Star Wars promotion?

Last year I foolishly didn't pay attention to the sale items at all & went straight for the X Wing.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Speaking of the Minifigures, I picked up my first ever today. Was hanging around the toy department of the local department store eyeing up the Extremis Sea Port Battle set for the minifigs, and decided that rather than spending the £20 on that right now when really all I want is Iron Man/War Machine I thought I'd have a go at feeling the bags and see if I could identify any.

What do I find on my third felt bag? This guy:

121056489814_1.jpg

Had to buy it! Left the Iron Man set for another day when I have weaker wills. The woman at the counter gave me a loyalty card, if I buy five minifigs I get the sixth free, apparently. She was telling me that there's a lot of "grown ups" coming into the store and feeling the bags, haha. Will make a nice addition to my desk at work!

Speaking of the Minifigures, I picked up my first ever today. Was hanging around the toy department of the local department store eyeing up the Extremis Sea Port Battle set for the minifigs, and decided that rather than spending the £20 on that right now when really all I want is Iron Man/War Machine I thought I'd have a go at feeling the bags and see if I could identify any.

What do I find on my third felt bag? This guy:

121056489814_1.jpg

Had to buy it! Left the Iron Man set for another day when I have weaker wills. The woman at the counter gave me a loyalty card, if I buy five minifigs I get the sixth free, apparently. She was telling me that there's a lot of "grown ups" coming into the store and feeling the bags, haha. Will make a nice addition to my desk at work!

Sweet! One of my favorite minifigs. You need a bunny man to go with him. Keep following this thread and your will will be taken care of.

i wouldn't pay more than 20 either, which is what i paid for the Hulk minifig.

The difference being, that Hulk is actually awesome while Mr Gold is just...well golden

MjFrancis

I can't wait until this guy drops in June. I never knew I wanted a simian mech piloted by gorillas until I saw this Chima reveal a few months back.

LEGO-Chima-Gorzans-Gorilla-Striker-70008-Box-e1360686268459.jpg

How are you suppose to tell the difference? A lot of people are gonna get burned.

I saw that on eBay as well. They clearing state it's "Lego Minifig - Custom Mr. Gold Replica - Series 10 - Limited Run - Will sell out".

- all custom minifigs may contain real LEGO parts, stickers, decals, paint and non-LEGO parts.

non-LEGO parts.

Also, the real one is chrome.

Fantomex

So my wife likes ELVIS, and she really likes building modulars. So I made her an Elvis figure for her birthday. Here is the breakdown if anybody cares what the process was.

So Here is my reference.
EMb32EH.jpg

The Jacket
RvmzhSU.jpg

And then here are the pieces that gave their life. It also included a astronaut from one of those new city sets. You can see a monster hunter in there, whos hair I needed for that spectacular hair.
Bw8MoJf.jpg

Then I had to strip these figures from their paint making them blank. Brasso is awesome for this.
Xov4saE.jpg

After all the polishing, I't was starting to take shape.
HHflegO.jpg

I'm not great at illustrating/painting by hand, but thankfully since I'm a Graphic Designer, I was able to put my vector skills to good use and actually simplify and recreate his jacket in Lego form.
oywy6Pj.jpg

BDrcmHz.jpg

I wasn't sure how much detail would show up on this decal water label, so I had to just do trial and error. These are the eagles on his belt.
Rnpo6yv.jpg

Then I had to make sure to get that face of his just right. Especially his curl and crooked smile. It took some time, but I got something I was happy with.
AfWwiIO.jpg

It all started to come together eventually.
3Q4qXS8.jpg

But I soon realized, that I forgot the lei (garland). Thanks to some materials that were kinda spongy and some painting, I was able to get the effect I needed.
Y7ejY3G.jpg

Got some third party pieces from a website someone here recommended, guitars, microphones etc. And this was the end result. Which thankfully she really loved.

ICmBkIB.jpg

A7L3D51.jpg

The outfit is damn perfect. The face...something feels off. I cant quite place it. Maybe the eyes are too far apart? Not sure, but something feels slightly off with the face on Elvis there.

But again, I LOVE the outfit. Perfection.

Top Bottom