• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jeebus

KCUgQUl.jpg

Katoki

My A-Wing came in today. The box is a lot larger than I'd expected for a 177 piece set. That or the images on Amazon give the illusion that the box would be a lot smaller. Speaking of small.. the brick separators I bought from LEGO are a lot smaller than I remember them to be. You'd think they'd at least include ONE with each of those $150 dollar sets like GE, Pet Shop, Fire Brigade, etc. (Not that I buy any at suggested retail price), but noooooo.

Still waiting on UPS for that Sith Fury Interceptor. Soooooooon.

All dem tan cheeseslopes.

I warned you, Potter!

Don't sort it. But at least keep the bags separate in containers.

Now the question is if you will build it a tower at a time, or do both at once?

You guys weren't kidding. I broke the bags into their own individual Gladware containers (mainly for kitty protection since I know this build will take a little longer than others that we've done) This is a team build with my wife and she's the one that really wanted this set so we're going that route. I can't wait to see the finish product. Looks so damn good on the box.

You guys weren't kidding. I broke the bags into their own individual Gladware containers (mainly for kitty protection since I know this build will take a little longer than others that we've done) This is a team build with my wife and she's the one that really wanted this set so we're going that route. I can't wait to see the finish product. Looks so damn good on the box.
This is the perfect team build project. You and your wife each get a tower. :)

And kitty protection is why I use the containers too. Easy to stack and put away to continue later.

This is the perfect team build project. You and your wife each get a tower. :)

And kitty protection is why I use the containers too. Easy to stack and put away to continue later.

Haha ya, I mentioned that but she didn't seem to go for it. She likes the whole "you take the left page, I'll take the right". I'll work on her again tomorrow :)

On the subject of kitty protection...exactly. When we are in the middle of a build I get to leave the unfinished set on the mantle along with the containers and usually everything stays safe but during our FB build, Sloane, got her paws on the tree out front. Took me an hour to find that flippin thing.

On the subject of kitty protection...exactly. When we are in the middle of a build I get to leave the unfinished set on the mantle along with the containers and usually everything stays safe but during our FB build, Sloane, got her paws on the tree out front. Took me an hour to find that flippin thing.

That tree falls off for literally no reason at all. So often.

Haha ya, I mentioned that but she didn't seem to go for it. She likes the whole "you take the left page, I'll take the right". I'll work on her again tomorrow :)

If this thread has any weight at all with your wife (which I doubt it does), tell her that building both towers simultaneously is the way to go. Once you get to the point of joining them, you can each take a page.

Explain it one of these ways:
1) You each alternate pages. Then, somewhere through book 2, you go all the way back to near the beginning of book one and do it all over again.
2) If you build both towers together, you both get to experience the same thing. You both share in the joy of completing each step together. It will bring you together as a couple. No one misses out on anything.

That tree falls off for literally no reason at all. So often.

I hate that tree, it's so meh. I've thought about replacing it with another lamp post.

If this thread has any weight at all with your wife (which I doubt it does), tell her that building both towers simultaneously is the way to go. Once you get to the point of joining them, you can each take a page.

Explain it one of these ways:
1) You each alternate pages. Then, somewhere through book 2, you go all the way back to near the beginning of book one and do it all over again.
2) If you build both towers together, you both get to experience the same thing. You both share in the joy of completing each step together. It will bring you together as a couple. No one misses out on anything.

All good points. She's working tonight. We'll talk tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes ;)

I hate that tree, it's so meh. I've thought about replacing it with another lamp post.

All good points. She's working tonight. We'll talk tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Also, if you alternate pages, one of you will get to place a few SNOT bricks down. The other gets to use like 50 cheese slopes in one step. Ain't exactly fair that way.

the windsurfing set features a white shark, looks great, unfortunately it is the same (small) size as the others so it won't stand out as a great white...

Now that i think about it, great whites are only white from underneath so it's not accurate in any way :(

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Weird they'd introduce the bigger sharks for the Pirate theme and then revert back to the classic guys for the summer City sets.

No shark deaths in Lego City confirmed.

Nitemare1

Great midi cinema :)

On a sidenote, i literally just finished the first Level of "Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes" (lttp i know) and it was GREAT!!! it dumped me in some kind of open world scenario now... you guys gotta try it if you haven't yet! :)

It's next on my list. Got to finish LEGO LOTR first! :D

Serious, serious vintage here, as in older than me. I got my first Lego on my fourth birthday, and all of it was used stuff that I've now found to be from around 1970. Along with this was a few more sets, most of them smaller.

I'm surprised that so much still remains. In fact, I'm pretty sure some of the missing pieces weren't around to begin with. Nice going, young me.

q7XwwX3.jpg

Ironmask

Serious, serious vintage here, as in older than me. I got my first Lego on my fourth birthday, and all of it was used stuff that I've now found to be from around 1970. Along with this was a few more sets, most of them smaller.

I'm surprised that so much still remains. In fact, I'm pretty sure some of the missing pieces weren't around to begin with. Nice going, young me.

q7XwwX3.jpg

Oh what the fantasy of a child can create!

hmmblah

I forgot about VW not having numbered bags.

But glad you are loving Horizon so far. The last two cars are cool as well, and I am curious if you have the same issue with the roofs that I and I think it was mrklaw had.

Finally finished last night. On the first car I went with the instructions, didn't have too much trouble getting the roof on, but it was awkward. On the second car I built the roof and the sides above the windows together as one, then put them on the car...much easier. Added the power functions as well, Kind of sad to see the engine go, but the lights add a nice touch.

Nitemare1

how is that one for you right now? I want to grab it on Steam someday, provided the port is a decent one...

I'm playing it on Steam. It looks and plays great. They didn't really do anything above and beyond the console versions I don't think, but those games look best at really high res anyway IMHO. I haven't seen any strange out of the ordinary bugs so its as good or better than the console versions. They should know what they are doing. They have been porting those games to PC for a long while haven't they?

dang, I didn't know Batman 2 was on steam yet. I kind of stopped looking for it after the initial release window. Maybe I'll get really lucky and it will go on sale between now and the time I finish LOTR!

Edit: its kind of pissing me off that I won't get a chance to play City Undercover. I keep hoping for rumors it will get ported to other consoles or PC but it doesn't look good. Not sure I can justify a wiiU for a couple of games.

rallaren

Was surprisingly tedious to disassemble one of the Sith Fury wings, they're heavy and not so intact, but also surprisingly pleasant to build again. I don't remember if I rebuilt my Lego as a kid.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice, I was going to start building this one today as well:

Now where to start... I usually don't sort, but this is really intimidating.

Pre filter the bags. Other than a few bags, most of them divide into two piles, one for each tower. And within each tower, there are quite a few duplicate bags, so you can pair them up and open one at a time. That can minimise how many bags you need open at once, but its still a lot.

Other than that, I'd keep them in their presorted state - maybe move them to tubs if you have some. No need to sort further

I'm playing it on Steam. It looks and plays great. They didn't really do anything above and beyond the console versions I don't think, but those games look best at really high res anyway IMHO. I haven't seen any strange out of the ordinary bugs so its as good or better than the console versions. They should know what they are doing. They have been porting those games to PC for a long while haven't they?

dang, I didn't know Batman 2 was on steam yet. I kind of stopped looking for it after the initial release window. Maybe I'll get really lucky and it will go on sale between now and the time I finish LOTR!

Edit: its kind of pissing me off that I won't get a chance to play City Undercover. I keep hoping for rumors it will get ported to other consoles or PC but it doesn't look good. Not sure I can justify a wiiU for a couple of games.

Thanks, that means i will get LOTR for SURE once it's on sale :))) i just love those Lego games!

Batman 2 WILL go on sale again, count on it, i bought it for under 10 bucks, worth every penny so far, but i liked the first one as well and this one is supposedly LOTS better!

Same here for City Undercover, but man, a Wii U is gonna be a must have either way down the line, this game + whatever EAD Tokyo is cooking up (Mario Galaxy 3 or whatever) will be dope anyways!!

Enough Off topic for now, back on track: in the mood for a small build, i might crack open either the Batman vs Catwoman chase set OR a smaller Spongebob set soon :)

Marko723

Neo Member

WOW! Can't wait till I get to building mine. Going to be a while yet. Still have to put up the new shelf and finish the Fire Brigade. First floor is nearly done. My 8 year old has been putting in about 50% of the building effort. When he went to bed last night, I had to promise to stop building until we could start up again this afternoon. We're about 75% through the first floor. Taking a break while I complete some chores around the house.

This is one awesome build! LEGO sure evolved since the 70s!

WOW! Can't wait till I get to building mine. Going to be a while yet. Still have to put up the new shelf and finish the Fire Brigade. First floor is nearly done. My 8 year old has been putting in about 50% of the building effort. When he went to bed last night, I had to promise to stop building until we could start up again this afternoon. We're about 75% through the first floor. Taking a break while I complete some chores around the house.

This is one awesome build! LEGO sure evolved since the 70s!

Save Tower Bridge for last. Just for how long it will take to finish it and how huge it is.

But you are almost to "dat second floor" of Fire Brigade. I know it is a joke here how much I gush about it, but it truly is a thing of beauty as you build it. Others can attest to the power that second floor holds. The less you know about what goes on in it, the better.

ghostmind

The majority of superhero sets feels like they are made by the B or C-team. Seems they're hampered trying to make a scene fit into each specific price points.

Yes, I think it is all based around the contracts that LEGO signs for each product. They seem to be working around very specific limitations.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Really happy to see the LEGO City sets move away from crime and cops 'n' robbers stuff. I know it's probably not true, but it seems like ages since a set like Town Square, which looks pretty great.

Should I buy the Friends' ship...hmmm

And more pizza? Boy the people of Lego City sure are hella unhealthy, pizzerias on every corner! City Square looks nice, I like it better than the older older version at least...=D

Top Bottom