• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Deefuzz

I think I may have asked this before but I'm not sure.

Have any of you attended a grand opening, and if so do you have any idea how the promotion with the LEGO store kit actually works? Do the stores get a limited quantity?

I've got a local (the fourth one!) LEGO store holding the grand opening next month and I'm thinking about taking the morning off to line up. Yes, I know how bad that sounds.

Limited to 300 pieces.

Store set only offered on Saturday and you need to spend $75 to get it.

Deefuzz

Awesome thank you! The grand opening is Friday / Saturday...so they'll only have it on Saturday?

Should actually be an entire weekend event. I believe at ours it's a shirt on Friday, the Store set on Saturday, and a 3 minifigure set on Sunday. I believe you need to spend $50 to get the minifigure set.

I kind of figured that the Stagecoach would be around $40 CDN. We're used to the higher pricing here. Just got back from the TRU in St.Catharines, Ontario and they didn't have any of the Lone Ranger sets at all. I'll probably just wait until May the 4th to pick it up from the LEGO store when I pick up whatever they're going to have on sale for the Star Wars promotion. It's SO disappointing to come back from a trip to TRU completely empty handed. I am not used to this feeling.

I kind of figured that the Stagecoach would be around $40 CDN. We're used to the higher pricing here. Just got back from the TRU in St.Catharines, Ontario and they didn't have any of the Lone Ranger sets at all. I'll probably just wait until May the 4th to pick it up from the LEGO store when I pick up whatever they're going to have on sale for the Star Wars promotion. It's SO disappointing to come back from a trip to TRU completely empty handed. I am not used to this feeling.

I fly out of Buffalo pretty regularly and usually stop off at that very TRU...it has never yielded any good finds for me. Apparently there is a TRU Express in some place called Niagara Square Mall. I've heard that it is not frequently visited so you may have better luck.

Anyone looking to get a box of Series 10 should hit up Bricklink right now.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=ChromeBricks&itemID=43458009

Seller with tons of positive feedback is selling sealed boxes of 60 for about $150USD shipped from Germany.

However, it was brought up to me earlier that these sellers may be weighing the boxes to ensure any they send out do not have Mr. Gold, so caveat emptor.

That's brilliant to weight them. Thanks for the heads up on that scheme. Not too interested in a lot of multiples for this series. Only time I ordered a box was from Amazon France and I don't think they'll be doing the weighing thing. $150 if that includes shipping costs is a great price ($2.50 per minifigure).

EDIT: Just checked the link. They have 245 boxes at this time! Wonder how many gold minifigures they will get.

ghostmind

That's brilliant to weight them. Thanks for the heads up on that scheme. Not too interested in a lot of multiples for this series. Only time I ordered a box was from Amazon France and I don't think they'll be doing the weighing thing. $150 if that includes shipping costs is a great price ($2.50 per minifigure).

EDIT: Just checked the link. They have 245 boxes at this time! Wonder how many gold minifigures they will get.

Credit goes to Ironmask for the weighing idea.

Should actually be an entire weekend event. I believe at ours it's a shirt on Friday, the Store set on Saturday, and a 3 minifigure set on Sunday. I believe you need to spend $50 to get the minifigure set.

So you've worked at/been to one? I'm wondering how early I'll need to get there on Saturday to get a set. I imaging those 300 would go pretty quickly.

Deefuzz

So you've worked at/been to one? I'm wondering how early I'll need to get there on Saturday to get a set. I imaging those 300 would go pretty quickly.

I work at one that is getting ready to have it's opening. Not sure how early to be there, but I would assume the 300 will go quickly as well. Its a real nice set.

Looks like the next seasonal polybag, "Summer Scene", is a bit of a disappointment compared to the exceptional "Springtime Scene":

http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=6268
8656897083_b8bd3d301d.jpg

Maybe it's a disappointment if you're a crazy person and aren't in love with that awesome shirt!

Ironmask

you need to add 19% on VAT, read closely

I like the look of the set myself (and that shirt is great - I think it was used in the last Airport set, if I recall correctly).

also on a reading book for children, wich includes a fireman (and a really cool camera)

If they don't already. This is like finding gold needle in golden hay stacks.

evH0zFNl.jpg

Series 10 at Fred Myers. My local Bricks & Minifigs got Mr. Gold. The store owner sold it for $500.00.

I like the look of the set myself (and that shirt is great - I think it was used in the last Airport set, if I recall correctly).

Ah, I didn't realize it was a recycled shirt. I think the sandcastle is very well done for its limited piece count. Agreed that it's not as impressive overall as the Spring set though.

Ironmask

If they don't already. This is like finding gold needle in golden hay stacks.

evH0zFNl.jpg

Series 10 at Fred Myers. My local Bricks & Minifigs got Mr. Gold. The store owner sold it for $500.00.

it's the one in Canby? i'm fan of his FB page, i wish to have a shop like that here in italy too :(

chimster

I feel lego really dropped the ball on Mr. Gold. It would have been probably better if they did a voucher mail in thing where you couldn't "feel" for it. Like how every bag has a chance to get it to prevent all the scalpers or whatever getting to it first

Ironmask

I feel lego really dropped the ball on Mr. Gold. It would have been probably better if they did a voucher mail in thing where you couldn't "feel" for it. Like how every bag has a chance to get it to prevent all the scalpers or whatever getting to it first

it doesn't get the same amount of money.

on the other hand, a complete serie 10 will be really cheap to buy... so many unwantend non-gold minifig to sell :)

Yeah, I won't even bother to look. There's at least two more AFOL in this town (I know one and saw another feeling bags) so someone is probably gonna feel them out even if the store people aren't savvy enough.

They should have added him in the last wave instead, then at least it would have been some sport finding the difference with Mr Hyde.

Oh, and I built the three smaller Pirate 1989 sets. Probably won't bother with the part packs, so that's one collection done.

Yeah, I won't even bother to look. There's at least two more AFOL in this town (I know one and saw another feeling bags) so someone is probably gonna feel them out even if the store people aren't savvy enough.

They should have added him in the last wave instead, then at least it would have been some sport finding the difference with Mr Hyde.

Oh, and I built the three smaller Pirate 1989 sets. Probably won't bother with the part packs, so that's one collection done.

imho its highly optimistic to think you will find one in your town.
5k worldwide really isn't all that much...

it's the one in Canby? i'm fan of his FB page, i wish to have a shop like that here in italy too :(

Yeah Canby Oregon I think that's where their main HQ is, he has a store here in my town, Vancouver (Washington). Shop is nice because people go in and trade stuff and he buy so many LOT off eBay I find cheap deal there all the time. He is closing the store in my town though and moving to adjacent city with bigger space. I think he plan to make it into LEGO theme party place.

People there are really nice, I am going to miss them when they move. : (

chimster

on the other hand, a complete serie 10 will be really cheap to buy... so many unwantend non-gold minifig to sell :)

maybe I didn't word it properly, something like finding the golden ticket. I.e. replacing the checklist with a YOU WIN or something. Closer to a lotto

Maybe they will learn if we get something similar for series 11

I take it there's a chance of getting Mr.Gold when buying directly from the LEGO store online? This isn't some kind of retail only thing is it?

Truth! Series 10 will probably mark the top of the market for how many LEGO makes. Can't imagine the demand for CMFs getting much higher.

I will wait for getting duplicates that I want to see how cheap they become in the after market. Should be super cheap if you don't care about accessories.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So it seems my VW has been sitting in a depot for a week. :(

The tracking site says they tried to deliver it but no one left a note so I'm guessing that's a lie. And there's been no attempts since. :mad:

If any of our European LEGO-GAF'ers want to pick up the new Town Square or Friends yacht, they are now available via LEGO S@H!

I want that yacht. Like, yesterday.

So it seems my VW has been sitting in a depot for a week. :(

The tracking site says they tried to deliver it but no one left a note so I'm guessing that's a lie. And there's been no attempts since. :mad:

Bastards! Holding such a magnificent set hostage. Who is the carrier?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bastards! Holding such a magnificent set hostage. Who is the carrier?
TNT. Since it seemed to be taking so long I decided to check my order has now shipped email and noticed the tracking number. However the TNT website is terrible and seems to be designed for the companies sending stuff out rather than consumer waiting for their delivery.

And since I have no card to say they called I have no idea who to phone or what depot it's at. I can't even find a phone number!

TNT. Since it seemed to be taking so long I decided to check my order has now shipped email and noticed the tracking number. However the TNT website is terrible and seems to be designed for the companies sending stuff out rather than consumer waiting for their delivery.

And since I have no card to say they called I have no idea who to phone or what depot it's at. I can't even find a phone number!

I have no idea who TNT is. :(

But sorry to hear all the bullshit. I went through a bunch of bullshit of deliveries not being attempted and whatnot back in December with my Super Star Destroyer.

sharbhund

Bricks & Minifigs is nice for finding bulk pieces that aren't at the Pick-A-Brick wall, but they also piss me off sometimes. They have a tendency to buy all of the hard-to-find polybags in the Portland area on the day they're released (like the Ghost polybag, which was a Target exclusive), and then mark them up 300%.

Bricks & Minifigs is nice for finding bulk pieces that aren't at the Pick-A-Brick wall, but they also piss me off sometimes. They have a tendency to buy all of the hard-to-find polybags in the Portland area on the day they're released (like the Ghost polybag, which was a Target exclusive), and then mark them up 300%.

That's too bad that they do that. Hey, fellow Pacific Northwest LEGO addict.

Milamber

Great! Now you know how us none US LEGO Gaffers feel like for all LEGO we purchase.

Katoki

Thankful for the 19th being pay day. Just snagged a $49.50 Unexpected Gathering set and the Republic Striker for $31.

There's another Unexpected Gathering for ~$53 in better condition for anyone up right now that still hasn't picked this set up yet.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I drew out £20 to go out for drinks last night and then ended up staying at home. Technically that makes the money in my wallet already spent, so I may as well hand it in somewhere in exchange for LEGO on the way home from work. That makes sense, right?

I know this might not work, but can you give a VIP card to someone to buy something for you? Since I'm working a 501st event on May the 4th, a friend is going to pick up the new UCS X-Wing and would pick one up for me too. Kind of want to make sure to get my points though, don't know if I could just give him my card. Issue is also that he has his own VIP card and would use his as well for his X-Wing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I know this might not work, but can you give a VIP card to someone to buy something for you? Since I'm working a 501st event on May the 4th, a friend is going to pick up the new UCS X-Wing and would pick one up for me too. Kind of want to make sure to get my points though, don't know if I could just give him my card. Issue is also that he has his own VIP card and would use his as well for his X-Wing.

Yeah - it's not tied to your name or anything (in terms of using it). They'll just swipe it when they make the purchase.

ruxtpin

Banned
So I drew out £20 to go out for drinks last night and then ended up staying at home. Technically that makes the money in my wallet already spent, so I may as well hand it in somewhere in exchange for LEGO on the way home from work. That makes sense, right?

You... I like way you think.

What money? All I see is in your wallet is a bank note themed gift card with LEGO written all over it.

You figuratively couldn't spend it on anything else.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
What money? All I see is in your wallet is a bank note themed gift card with LEGO written all over it.

You figuratively couldn't spend it on anything else.

Exactly! I mean, that money is essentially already gone. And LEGO lasts longer than drinks do anyway, so I'm really getting something for nothing!

Edit: I'll add this as an edit, but a fairly random discussion question! What are everyone's favourite minifigs outside of the collectible series? You can name ones from licensed sets, but I could probably list so many Star Wars/Super Hero ones and it's more interesting thinking of ones that aren't tied to an existing franchise but still look great.

Personally I love these guys:

5nac4lg.png
yM3iRbT.png
RShRwn8.png

Obviously the spooky theme is great, which is why I've got the skeleton and ghosts in there (love that the ghosts glow in the dark too), but there's something about Captain Brickbeard that makes me feel like a kid again. So great.

Loving that Summer set actually... provided it IS cheaper than Spring scene because it's also smaller hmm, when will it be out again?

Also: On May 4th when i take my trip to the Lego store and they have the Friends Yacht available, i am not sure i can resist lol ;)

Someone tell me it's crazy expensive so i have a reason to not get it pls!

Top Bottom