• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ainaurdur

How come it says 16+ on that Lego R2D2 box? Is the age restriction an indicator for the difficulty of the project or what?

The age ranges on LEGO boxes have always served as guidelines for the difficulty and detail of the build. Since as far as I know, TLG will never do any sets that are truly inappropriate for children. Several of the CUUSOO projects that got enough votes for official review were turned down because of the content or property attached.

The age ranges on LEGO boxes have always served as guidelines for the difficulty and detail of the build. Since as far as I know, TLG will never do any sets that are truly inappropriate for children. Several of the CUUSOO projects that got enough votes for official review were turned down because of the content or property attached.

lol @ the third leg comment ;)

Oh ok thanks... just wondering since i rarely saw a 16+ one around here i guess, then again i haven't done Legos in a while so what do i know. Is it bad that i struggled with a set that said 8+ or something last year while helping a nephew of mine with his building? ;(

Damn, the holiday shopping season has demolished the LEGO section on Amazon Warehouse. There was constantly 100+ sets, with new sets added daily, before Thanksgiving. Now there is barely 20.

Toys 'R' Us Canada has some sets on sale right now. I just picked up the Malevolence for 20% off. I've been eyeing that one for a while now, that blue colour looks amazing. I don't recall anyone else here really talking much about this ship though. I'm not a big fan of the Clone Wars TV series, but the design and colour of the Malevolence are truly unique in my opinion. Plus I'm a sucker for the bigger Star Wars ships. I'll give my impressions of the build in the near future...

itsgreen

L7208_mi1_detail_1.jpg

Nice! Was able to get 7208 for 30 euro. The first time I bought a lego box, in I guess 15 years or so :)

ghostmind

Toys 'R' Us Canada has some sets on sale right now. I just picked up the Malevolence for 20% off. I've been eyeing that one for a while now, that blue colour looks amazing. I don't recall anyone else here really talking much about this ship though. I'm not a big fan of the Clone Wars TV series, but the design and colour of the Malevolence are truly unique in my opinion. Plus I'm a sucker for the bigger Star Wars ships. I'll give my impressions of the build in the near future...

The Malevolence may be the closest we ever get to the Invisible Hand (from SW3), so I grabbed it back when it first came out. I'm also a sucker for SW cap ships.

I have eyed the Malevolence a few times. The larger ships like that entice me, and the color scheme is quite cool.

Eventually, but it is way down the list.

Rootbeer

Banned
TMNT now up at S@H. I want the minifigs of course but the sets dont interest me at all.

Does S@H mean shop.lego.com ? I don't understand how that translates... but google tells me it does mean that.

This was already mentioned unless you meant they are available for shipping... but upon double checking they aren't >.<

Thanks for getting my hopes up!!!

However some other cool sets, like the Eagle (Fierce Flier), are now on there for shipping! I don't remember that from before.

Has there ever been a series of sets based on Greek/Roman mythology? I know there are Cyclops and Poseidon mini-figs, but I mean full sets. Trojan horse, Siege of Troy, Odysseus fighting Scylla, Labours of Hercules, Theseus and the labyrinth, etc.

Does S@H mean shop.lego.com ? I don't understand how that translates... but google tells me it does mean that.

I think the byline for the store is Lego Shop at Home.

neonglow

Has there ever been a series of sets based on Greek/Roman mythology? I know there are Cyclops and Poseidon mini-figs, but I mean full sets. Trojan horse, Siege of Troy, Odysseus fighting Scylla, Labours of Hercules, Theseus and the labyrinth, etc.

I think the byline for the store is Lego Shop at Home.

The closest is probably a couple sets from the Atlantis theme.

7985-1.jpg

Something occurred...

Question: why isn't this thread in Offtopic Community? What would qualify it to go there?

I like this thread where it is. I feel this thread is constantly filled with updates and images of upcoming sets rather than discussion of an old topic.

Chuckie

I like this thread where it is. I feel this thread is constantly filled with updates and images of upcoming sets rather than discussion of an old topic.

While I agree with you that I like where it is, your argument of updates doesn't really hold up because that goes for most topics in Community, be it new matches, new anime's, new little pony stuff etc.

ruxtpin

Banned
Plus, if it's in the main OT forum, there's a better chance that our goings-on will convert others to our cause.

*rubs hands together* All according to keikaku...

Ainaurdur

Plus, if it's in the main OT forum, there's a better chance that our goings-on will convert others to our cause.

*rubs hands together* All according to keikaku...

I have noticed at least 5 new victims prodigals in the past couple weeks.

So it is working, but we must redouble our efforts!

ruxtpin

Banned
lol - That reminds me. I was at my local Lego store a few week backs (when I was purchased my Haunted House). Before I went to the register I wanted to see if I could feel out a couple of S9 minifigs I was missing. My g/f and I found some that I needed, so I set them on a shelf above the main display box.

These two young kids came by (couldn't have been more than 10 or 11) and one of them started to pick up the minifig bags I had set aside. I quickly grabbed them back and was like, "Nope, those are mine." I think my g/f was almost in tears from laughing so hard, "Here's my almost 30 y/o boyfriend taking Lego packages from a kid in the Lego store."

mjc

So the Unexpected Gathering set is a great piece...but the bottom is super unstable. It's definitely meant for a stationary display piece.

DJ_Lae

I found one of my battery packs when I was last home at my parents digging through Lego with my daughter. I also found a couple of electrical plates (2x8 ones with the metal ribbing to carry a current) and one cord with 2x2 plates on each end. There was also one of those little sirens that you can crank between two positions depending on which sound you want.

Battery still worked after 15-odd years in storage. It was obviously near dead as the siren wasn't as fast or as loud as it was before, but it still worked.

Unfortunately I didn't see either of my lights that worked with the battery box, but I did find some of the coloured covers that fit over them.

My cousins and I used to build cars with those things built into the frame somewhere, affix a string to the front, and then race them around in a figure 8 in the basement. Though we had to modify the rules on car creation after my little cousin decided to build a solid 12x8 inch block that resulted in the destruction of our cars and a handful of cracked and broken Lego pieces.

lol - That reminds me. I was at my local Lego store a few week backs (when I was purchased my Haunted House). Before I went to the register I wanted to see if I could feel out a couple of S9 minifigs I was missing. My g/f and I found some that I needed, so I set them on a shelf above the main display box.

These two young kids came by (couldn't have been more than 10 or 11) and one of them started to pick up the minifig bags I had set aside. I quickly grabbed them back and was like, "Nope, those are mine." I think my g/f was almost in tears from laughing so hard, "Here's my almost 30 y/o boyfriend taking Lego packages from a kid in the Lego store."

Wut???

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any place besides Rebrickable that has easy-to-replicate smaller builds for pick-a-brick boxes? Not sure what to stuff into my LEGO Store holiday box after Christmas.

I know the official LEGO site has the monthly mini builds, but I would like something meatier. The custom Mario and Luigi mini models looks cool, but I'm not sure my LEGO Store has all the parts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got a few Hobbit sets...

Escape From Mirkwood Spiders: Small, cheap set. The spiders are clever for how small they are, and the tree is alright. Good set, for a cheap price (and it crosses 2 more Dwarves off the list).

An Unexpected Gathering:

Overall a pretty standard build, though the front window was clever in how it was put together, and it looks nice. Feels like I should buy two or three more of them and expand Bag End though.

While I'm not a fan of stickers I do love the red book, and the maps.

Big negative is the lack of a light piece. Even the box makes it look like it's been lit from the inside.

Both these sets do tell me one thing, they put a lot into the Dwarves, all 6 of the ones I got look fantastic.

Also, screw you LEGO and your light green/dark Green and light brown/dark brown pieces in the same step!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I want to buy the Lego Star Wars Super Star Destroyer. Is it worth it?

Yes, very much so! Epic build. I highly recommend it for anyone that can afford it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
speaking of which, I cannot find an export option for my wanted list on bricklink... import no problem but no export...

You can definitely do it, because I thnk that's what I emailed the rebrickable guy for - to get them to import from a bricklink file. Pretty sure you can download a wanted list as comma delimited or excel or XML (XML is what rebrickable supports)

Edit: try this http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=35945556

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Stay classy LEGO

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2012...one-little-boy-got-the-toy-of-his-dreams?lite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4xGU-5KVS_g

James Groccia has loved LEGO since he was about 4 years old.

But when the little boy told his parents a couple of years ago that he wanted the $100, more than 1,000-piece Emerald Night Train set, they hesitated before making the big purchase.

After all, the set was meant for 14-year-olds and they worried that James, who was 8 or 9 at the time, wouldn&#8217;t be able to put it together.

&#8220;We didn&#8217;t want to just go out and get him something that could have been too complex for him,&#8221; James&#8217;s dad, Jay Groccia, told TODAY.

The couple, who live in Boylston, Mass., also saw one of those golden parenting opportunities to teach their oldest child about responsibility.

&#8220;My wife just basically said, &#8216;If it&#8217;s something you really want, save up for it,&#8221; Groccia said.

James, who has a form of autism called Asperger&#8217;s syndrome, did just that. It took him about two years to save up the $100.

And then, disaster struck. LEGO had stopped making the train set.

&#8220;All of a sudden there were none,&#8221; Groccia said. &#8220;The only ones we found were basically through the collector marketplace.&#8221;

The collector items were pricey &#8211; around $250 in some cases &#8211; and Groccia also worried that the used sets they could find online would have missing pieces. Still, the couple felt so bad for their little boy that they were even considering purchasing the pricey sets, or buying the hundreds of pieces individually.

James, who was by then 10, couldn&#8217;t get the Emerald Night Train set out of his head. Finally, with his mother&#8217;s help, he wrote a letter to LEGO explaining his situation.

It was the kind of letter that would break any parent&#8217;s heart, and yet also make them so proud. In it, he told the LEGO company about how much he loves their toys, and how he even uses them in a play group designed to help kids with autism build social skills.

And he told them how much the Emerald Night set meant to him.

&#8220;I got another Lego set, thinking I could forget about the Emerald Night, but every time I see it anywhere on line I get very sad and disappointed,&#8221; he wrote. &#8220;I still want the Emerald Night so badly, but there are none to be found.&#8221;

At first, LEGO said they could not help James. But then a package showed up at the family's door. It happened to be right around James&#8217; 11th birthday.

Jay Groccia, James&#8217;s dad, is a professional photographer. He set up a couple of cameras, and captured the moment that his son opened up the box to find the train set he so badly wanted.

In an e-mail to TODAY, LEGO confirmed that they had sent the Emerald Night Train set to James. Michael McNally, the company&#8217;s brand relations director, said in the email that the company was humbled by the family&#8217;s decision to share the company&#8217;s gesture, which he noted is not a regular company practice.

As for James, his dad says that after he opened the box he still had to do his regular chores before dinner. He was able to work on the train that night, and he was up at 5:30 a.m. the next morning to work on it again.

For Christmas this year, James is asking for the train track to go with the Emerald Night set. His dad expects it&#8217;s far from the last LEGO set his son will ask for.

&#8220;That&#8217;s never-ending,&#8221; Groccia said.

So, I'm looking to sell my Arkham MOC. Wanted to see if any takers may pop their heads up here before I try other outlets. Longshot, but figured it can't hurt.

Woorloog

Banned
What's wrong with Halo lego? Am I not allowed to play with you guys ;_;

It is not lego but Megablocks. Bloks. Whatever..

Learn the difference *evil grin*

EDIT speaking of Halo, uh, space legos, the Space Marine Cuusoo gained 10k votes. Would like to see it pass through, very well presented idea. Though the name should be something else than Space Marines.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Ah yes you're right. I just looked over at the box. It's what he wanted, I don't really care.

I think he's getting me a tie fighter for xmas. Is this acceptable?

Woorloog

Banned
Ah yes you're right. I just looked over at the box. It's what he wanted, I don't really care.

Acceptable how? To talk about? Good buy?

*googles lego tie fighter* Tie Fighter looks always so cool. Wonder if i should get myself one.

Chris R

Warhammer 40,000 LEGO would be the end of me...

And I kinda wish MegaBlocks didn't have the Blizzard license :( They just don't pop different kits out as fast as LEGO (I don't care who makes the blocks, blocks are blocks to me :p )

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Acceptable as in the correct blocks. I don't really have anything to discuss over it other than when we buy our house it's most likely gonna have lego things as decorations.

ghostmind

Yep, the LEGO TIE Fighter is a great set, and the start of a very slippery slope, as next you'll want the X-wing, Y-wing, etc, etc.

It's a fun slope though.

And having a house is "good" for the LEGO habit, as two of the biggest issues soon become display and storage. I'm currently thinking of a LEGO room to showcase some of my sets...

I had a pretty crummy 2-3 hour stretch today after work so I popped in Lego Batman 2.

Cheered me up so much. The universe, look,

City, Batman, and Star Wars legos are so damn hard to resist. I don't think I'll be able to hold off much longer.

Top Bottom