• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

imho the creator line offers the "purest" lego experience.
and there are some awesome sets out there

they are excellent value for money (compared to other lines)

anyway tell us more, whats the aim of your club, whats the age group you want to get involved? how many etc...

The club will be open to grade levels 4 and above with a cutoff at grade 12. We expect around 40-50 kids to show at each meeting, based on prior programs at other locations. We'll probably hold two meetings a month with a specific theme in mind (Sustainable cities, The Wild West, Spaceships, picking a Dewey number and build from there, etc.) We'll see how successful the themes are, if not we'll probably just go with create anything approach. Storage is already covered thankfully.

rataven

I'm developing a LEGO club here at my library and I have a $600 budget to start it. Do you guys have any suggestions on some great starter sets? I also want a good mix of wheels/windows/characters/etc. as well. I've seen some on LEGO's website but I figured everyone here might have some great suggestions, thanks!

Definitely second the Creator line! It'll get you started with a nice variety of basic pieces, and each set comes with three different construction plans, so there's a lot of re-buildability. There are quite a few sets to chose from, and new sets for 2013 will be out soon. $600 will go a long way with Creator.

Rxjwel.jpg

The only thing the line is short on is minifigs, though you can always dive into the Collectable series to add to your population.

The club sounds fun. Best of luck with it!

The Creator sets are really awesome. Amazon has some good pricing on educational minifigs like community workers that will help us fill that minifig gap.

neonglow

I'm developing a LEGO club here at my library and I have a $600 budget to start it. Do you guys have any suggestions on some great starter sets? I also want a good mix of wheels/windows/characters/etc. as well. I've seen some on LEGO's website but I figured everyone here might have some great suggestions, thanks!

You might want to consider the Medieval Market Village. It's 1600 pieces for $90 so about 5.5 cents a piece.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001USHRCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ToysRUs seem so scammy with their Lego prices/deals.

They have a $25 off $100 purchase of regularly priced sets.

Technic and NinjaGo excluded.

Seems reasonable except that most of the decent sets seem to have a $2 - $5 discount currently.

There is also a 25% discount for TRU credit card holders. No Lego exclusions. Would have been perfect for my Unimog but I don't have a card. :(

I.....have a son too.....who was trying to save up for Cafe Corner.....for 5 years.....

I should email Lego about it.

That's the thing. I thinks that's a shitty story. It wasn't a poor family, the kid seemed really normal on the video, they had the money but choose not to buy it, etc.

The are giving a prize but what's the achievement? what are they encouraging?

Tomodachi

So I finally added all of my pieces to rebrickable, it took much less than expected (they were only about 1000 pieces though). Thanks to this amazing website I could retrieve the sets I had as a kid that I didn't even remember about until I saw the images on the web. I tried to rebuild three of them:

This lacks the rubber band, the cord and more importantly the hook, so the two pieces aren't really linked and the wheel does nothing, but maybe I can fix it with some random pieces and a random string, I'll try later.

This lacks the computer in the gas tank so I used some pieces that fitted to cover the middle hole left by it. Still looks a bit hollow but whatever.

The last one was the most difficult since I missed a lot of the original pieces, so I had to use different colors and the final build isn't as nice as the original one :( I even used a POLICE panel from a police motorbike I had (I think). Maybe I'll try to get the missing pieces from some store.

Here are some photos:

Been home sick the last two days, but finally felt well enough to at least sit up on the couch today and do some building. Finishing up my rebuild of all the modulars, so I decided to treat myself to Fire Brigade tonight. I got as far as finishing "dat second floor." Now it is time for bed. After I finish the roof tomorrow, all I have is the Town House half of Pet Shop.

Let's just say it was not a good idea to leave the two sets with dark red and dark brown as the main colors for the end. In the poor lighting here they both look so similar.

And after rebuilding it all, I am thinking of seeing what white pieces I have in my back stock and maybe winterizing the modulars.

Rootbeer

Banned
Apparently Winter Bakery looks pretty good with Toy Shop.

zVLAJ.jpg

I wish I could set my LEGO out like that...

Sadly... very frisky cats.

Placing a big order on lego.com tonight... would have done it today but left my wallet at work :p (thankfully I have a job where that's not a worry)

ghostmind

It's kind of hard to tell during this season, but it looks like the Dino theme is in the process of going OOP, which isn't surprising.

Also rumor is 10231 (Shuttle Expedition) is on the way out.

Monster Fighters sets are showing a restock on S@H in late December and January, so I'm not convinced that this theme is going OOP soon. What I wouldn't be surprised to see would be the MF sets being lightly stocked until the fall, when it would pick up again, hopefully with additional sets.

wetwired

So I finally added all of my pieces to rebrickable, it took much less than expected (they were only about 1000 pieces though). Thanks to this amazing website I could retrieve the sets I had as a kid that I didn't even remember about until I saw the images on the web. I tried to rebuild three of them:

This lacks the rubber band, the cord and more importantly the hook, so the two pieces aren't really linked and the wheel does nothing, but maybe I can fix it with some random pieces and a random string, I'll try later.

This lacks the computer in the gas tank so I used some pieces that fitted to cover the middle hole left by it. Still looks a bit hollow but whatever.

The last one was the most difficult since I missed a lot of the original pieces, so I had to use different colors and the final build isn't as nice as the original one :( I even used a POLICE panel from a police motorbike I had (I think). Maybe I'll try to get the missing pieces from some store.

Here are some photos:

I have both of those trucks. They're some of the last sets I got as I kid before I grew out of lego. I think I actually paid for them myself as my parents thought I was too old for lego at the time. I must have been 13 or 14.

It's kind of hard to tell during this season, but it looks like the Dino theme is in the process of going OOP, which isn't surprising.

Monster Fighters sets are showing a restock on S@H in late December and January, so I'm not convinced that this theme is going OOP soon. What I wouldn't be surprised to see would be the MF sets being lightly stocked until the fall, when it would pick up again, hopefully with additional sets.

I will lose my motherfucking mind if we get more monster fighter sets. Modularityyyyy! A crypt that can sit under vampire castle or haunted house. Have any other buildings clip on as castle extentions. Some giant forest scene with a baseplate.... I know! bridge, river, baseplate, creepy forest- headless horseman set.

edit: I'd be MOCing some shit up right now if I didn't have an imminent final. college:( :) :(

ghostmind

The Advent sets for the 5th really showed the disparity between the City and Star Wars calendars. The City one was simple in concept, but a bunch of nice pieces. The SW one was atrocious (again).

Ironmask

I will lose my motherfucking mind if we get more monster fighter sets. Modularityyyyy! A crypt that can sit under vampire castle or haunted house. Have any other buildings clip on as castle extentions. Some giant forest scene with a baseplate.... I know! bridge, river, baseplate, creepy forest- headless horseman set.

Monster Fighters is my favourite set so far, as you've already said i hope the next set will bring contiguity between the sets released so far and a more steampunk vibe

neonglow

Sad to hear Dino is going away. It just came out in March. I've noticed that Dino Defense HQ is harder to find now. I was waiting for a deal on it, but it looks like I'll have to pay retail for it if I can still find it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep.

Need to get round to setting my Winter sets up.

thanks. Looks pretty simple to build but I don't think I have that many green plates.

whats the base piece, a ships wheel or something? Can probably replace it with something else.

Milamber

Sudden thought! There can't be that many unique KRE-O pieces for the transformers line, right?

*looks at Hasbro site*

EDIT: Deja vu?

Rootbeer

Banned
My Unexpected Gathering should arrive... Monday? Maybe Sat if I'm lucky. Then I just need the Wargs set and the Goblin King set to have every LotR + Hobbit set. Just waiting on sales.

A little pre-TMNT order for myself:

Swarm Interceptor
Space Swarmer
Vermin Vaporizer
Spider-Man Doc Ock Ambush (needed those minifigs for Superhero completion!)
Fierce Flyer
Power Mech
2 baseplates (1 green, 1 blue -- I didn't have any of these yet :| and they are 4.99 right now, not bad)
Staphanie's Outdoor Bakery (what!? yeah, lego.com giving away a freebie polybag if you buy a friends set, this was a 5.99 set so yeah)

That'll probably be all of Galaxy Squad that I order, I'm more interested in Chima (and TMNT, mostly for the minifigs though)

nny

Happy holidays!

Took its time, but the local TRU received the LEGO Winter Village Post Office, allowing me to complete my Winter/Holiday display:

_DSC08112.jpg

(Illumination detail)
_DSC08106.jpg

Happy holidays!

Took its time, but the local TRU received the LEGO Winter Village Post Office, allowing me to complete my Winter/Holiday display:

_DSC08112.jpg

(Illumination detail)
_DSC08106.jpg

thats very nice nny :)

*I have to resist the temptation of the winter village theme...

Do they still make all these sets? I'd like some for christmas decorations.

Toy Shop is out of production and goes for about $150 used. You can still buy Winter Bakery on lego.com although I suspect they will also go out of production after this holiday season. They're a bit like the modulars and I'm trying to collect all of them before their prices skyrocket.

If anyone gets the BN emails, there was an email sent out this morning for 25% off one item. But it is one of those unique code ones, so you have to receive it yourself since the code dies once you use it.

And many stores have Dino HQ in my area, so it is a good place to look.

Just how much do I love Galaxy Squad? Last night I started writing up rules for a board game using Galaxy Squad ships. It's tentatively called LEGO Star Charts. Yup, I've got it bad.

If it turns out to be reasonably fun, I'll post the rules here when I'm done. I believe the line is particularly well suited to this task, and I have some mechanic ideas which take advantage of certain specific features, but you should be able to play it with other ships, too.

ghostmind

Just how much do I love Galaxy Squad? Last night I started writing up rules for a board game using Galaxy Squad ships. It's tentatively called LEGO Star Charts. Yup, I've got it bad.

If it turns out to be reasonably fun, I'll post the rules here when I'm done. I believe the line is particularly well suited to this task, and I have some mechanic ideas which take advantage of certain specific features, but you should be able to play it with other ships, too.

Very cool - looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. Galaxy Squad fever has hit my household hard as well, as my son now thinks its the coolest theme since Ninjago.

I hope this theme has some legs and stays around for a while.

ghostmind

Large grains of salt rumor time!

Summer Star Wars sets:

Jabba's Sail Barge, with Jabba, Max Rebo and at least a few more minifigs.

AT-TE from Episode 2 with around 5 minifigs (hope it is compatible with my LAAT/c)

LAAT/i (Republic Gunship) from Episode 2

Cyrillus

holy frick...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SvL/Podrace/boonta_eve_classic_-_starting_grid_004.jpg[img]

More here...
[url]http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76499[/url][/QUOTE]
So awesome. I would totally buy more podracers if they made them.

Large grains of salt rumor time!

Summer Star Wars sets:

Jabba's Sail Barge, with Jabba, Max Rebo and at least a few more minifigs.

Oh man, I hope this is true. I've had my fingers crossed for this set since Jabba's Palace first hit. A proper Sarlacc would be nice, too.

Top Bottom