• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

suaveric

I got my R2 from amazon today and it didn't do very well in shipping. The box was crushed a bit on all six sides. I know Amazon will ship me a new one, but I wonder if I could just ask for some money back. Something like 10 or 20% off. Anyone ever made that deal with amazon?

I got my R2 from amazon today and it didn't do very well in shipping. The box was crushed a bit on all six sides. I know Amazon will ship me a new one, but I wonder if I could just ask for some money back. Something like 10 or 20% off. Anyone ever made that deal with amazon?

Amazon does not do deals like that since every other person would simply crush their order and ask for a discount every time.

My R2 showed up in perfect shape. I was worried at first because the shipping box was the exact size of the R2 box. No packing material or anything like the TRU and Lego shipping boxes use.

rataven

I don't think they'll issue a discount since they'd have to do it without any idea about how bad the damage really is, but like you said, they'll definitely ship you another set. And they usually ship it out pretty quickly, so I'd let them know right away and you'll probably have the new set before the weekend.

Warhammer 40,000 LEGO would be the end of me...

And I kinda wish MegaBlocks didn't have the Blizzard license :( They just don't pop different kits out as fast as LEGO (I don't care who makes the blocks, blocks are blocks to me :p )

I think they are basically doing a DIY with all those recent minifigs.

MrDaravon

I've only ever seen people post that they got them to do that when the item was OOS and Amazon couldn't just directly replace it.

suaveric

I guess anyone who is interested should be on the lookout for a damaged R2D2 next week at the Amazon Warehouse. Its box is a bit crushed but the contents should be fine.

How tall can a Lego tower get?

_64536435_croppedgetty151505749.jpg
_64534347_lego624x310.gif

jus the sort of thing scientist should be working on... -.-*

*says me as a scientist ;)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
KsIlb.png

Anyone know what part they used for the mouth of the Pirana Plant? I see the lips are two white bananas.

The only real major Lego pick up I want is the haunted house. After that, I'll hang back and wait on more super hero sets. I just bought a new house and I want to redo all the flooring (carpet to laminate), so that is going to eat into my various (expensive) hobbies for awhile.

I really want that haunted house though!

Yeah. I was hoping that eventually Lego S@H would have it on sale and then I could use a bunch of banked points.

That is my hope at least. It should still be around next May, so I might wait until then for the sale and then use the big bank of points I should have by then to crush it.

Or just buy it during double VIP and use the pool of points that gives me for something else :)

My backlog is now:

Helms Deep (my second, was going to mod my first with MMV but ran out of space and time)
Mines of Moria
Imperial Shuttle
Haunted House
Monster Fighter Swamp Creature (ya, it's like 70 pieces, I'm busy!)

My backlog is now:

Helms Deep (my second, was going to mod my first with MMV but ran out of space and time)
Mines of Moria
Imperial Shuttle
Haunted House
Monster Fighter Swamp Creature (ya, it's like 70 pieces, I'm busy!)

You could knock out the Swamp Creature set during a coffee break easily. At least that is how I assembled Gandalf Arrives. :)

I'm in a cubicle farm with 50 people. Coworkers have candy and other small personal items stolen. No way I'd bring my Lego. Although I guess I could lock it up in my desk when I'm not around.

R-User!

What is the small brown box on the second floor above the cash register in the Winter Village Bakery supposed to store?

All my money that I'm raking in from selling my sweet and delicious pastries?! Or my hopes and dreams of a Minas Tirith with Pelanor Fields battle set including Oliphants and The Witch King of Agmar? 10,000 piece Limited Edition set! Limited to 1000 produced. MSRP: $1499

ghostmind

Rumor time... City Summer 2013 sets to include a "City Square". This would likely be taken from the results of a LEGO fan vote from back in 2009:

pFIZI.jpg

The Public Transportation Center was actually released in 2010 as set 8404:

iy8aR.jpg

ghostmind

Got my son 8404 for a birthday. Nice set and goes well with the modulars. A square would be really nice

Yep, 8404 is an excellent complement to the modulars - once I have mine all rebuilt, the City bus and Street Sweeper will definitely be in use. If I had enough space in front of the modulars, it would be cool to lay down some road baseplates and have transport stations and train track on either side of the roadway - but then I lead down the dark path of starting to build a proper city...

Yep, 8404 is an excellent complement to the modulars - once I have mine all rebuilt, the City bus and Street Sweeper will definitely be in use. If I had enough space in front of the modulars, it would be cool to lay down some road baseplates and have transport stations and train track on either side of the roadway - but then I lead down the dark path of starting to build a proper city...
If I had the room, I would love to build a whole city.

ghostmind

If I had the room, I would love to build a whole city.

It is certainly tempting, and I do have a lot of "in-the-box" sets which could fill up a town (Modulars, Police Station, Airport, train station, bank, uhhh Space Center, etc), but I don't think I'm ready to take over the dining room table yet.

City sets I want from LEGO:

- a new service station (last one was 2007, and the new 2012 Parking Garage is disappointing)
- a better harbour set than the one from 2011 (more like the 2007 one)
- another City Corner a bit more advanced than set 7641
- shopping center, museum, zoo, convenience store, a proper hospital, etc, etc

DJ_Lae

I've got the room in the basement to set up something like that, but I only have the Fire Brigade and a bunch of older city sets (police, fire, airport). I do have a ton of road plates, though.

But I won't set up anything like that now as our second daughter is on the brink of crawling and having a ton of tiny pieces for her to stick in her mouth would be bad. There's already Lego scattered around by our oldest but it's only a few sets at a time and easily cleaned up.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO has updated the listings for the TMNT sets on their site, revising the release date from Dec 31st to Dec 17th.

They have also now marked the Baxter Robot Rampage set as "Hard to Find." This is the only set which contains April, Baxter and a mouser (not a real minifig). It also has two face variants, one for Don and one for Raph.

ghostmind

LEGO has updated the listings for the TMNT sets on their site, revising the release date from Dec 31st to Dec 17th.

They have also now marked the Baxter Robot Rampage set as "Hard to Find." This is the only set which contains April, Baxter and a mouser (not a real minifig). It also has two face variants, one for Don and one for Raph.

Probably means that the Baxter set is a retailer-exclusive.

Rootbeer

Banned
Probably means that the Baxter set is a retailer-exclusive.

I've been collecting LEGO long enough to know that! But usually when this happen I'm forced to just order it from shop.lego.com because I can't be bothered to track it down elsewhere :p I'm sure that's just how they like it.

The figures are pretty meh in the set TBH, more cusual fans won't have trouble skipping out on this set. It has a pretty cool mech suit, but LEGO has several of those in its 2013 lineup already, no shortage of those.

If you, like me, have a little girl in your life who has wanted the Friends Summer Riding Camp for Christmas since it first hit shelves, you are going to want to hit the pavement right now. The online store is sold out until the 22nd and it's already up to $175 on Amazon. I got the last one from my local store and they had to scrounge for it in the back. They got a big shipment in earlier in the week and they burned right through 'em.

Rootbeer

Banned
If you, like me, have a little girl in your life who has wanted the Friends Summer Riding Camp for Christmas since it first hit shelves, you are going to want to hit the pavement right now. The online store is sold out until the 22nd and it's already up to $175 on Amazon. I got the last one from my local store and they had to scrounge for it in the back. They got a big shipment in earlier in the week and they burned right through 'em.

Yeah those seem really popular, all of those Friends sets are constantly burning up the charts on amazon. It's great to finally see a line of Girl-themed LEGO sets that are making a big splash. (I still wish they'd make some boy-oriented sets with those style of minifigure)

My daughter is only 9 months old, but I'm already considering buying some of the Friends sets and saving then for when she's older. My wife already digs them.

My daughter is only 9 months old, but I'm already considering buying some of the Friends sets and saving then for when she's older. My wife already digs them.

Do it and you'll be glad you did. Best money I've ever spent on toys for my daughter by far...by far...and that includes other LEGO and DUPLO. The new ones coming later in the month look like another upgrade. I liked the first wave of sets, but they've definitely been getting better over time. I have learned to look forward to working on them with her! I'm itching to dig in to the riding camp.

At the very least, consider snagging the RV. That's my favorite and it's only thirty bucks.

I'm developing a LEGO club here at my library and I have a $600 budget to start it. Do you guys have any suggestions on some great starter sets? I also want a good mix of wheels/windows/characters/etc. as well. I've seen some on LEGO's website but I figured everyone here might have some great suggestions, thanks!

I'm developing a LEGO club here at my library and I have a $600 budget to start it. Do you guys have any suggestions on some great starter sets? I also want a good mix of wheels/windows/characters/etc. as well. I've seen some on LEGO's website but I figured everyone here might have some great suggestions, thanks!

imho the creator line offers the "purest" lego experience.
and there are some awesome sets out there

they are excellent value for money (compared to other lines)

anyway tell us more, whats the aim of your club, whats the age group you want to get involved? how many etc...

Rootbeer

Banned

Yes please do tell us more about your plans for the club so we can better suggest things.

$600 is a good budget to start with, you can get quite a lot with that.

Some very basic sets to consider, these sets are high in pieces for the money, especially the last one:

LEGO Bricks & More Deluxe Brick Box #5508 (704 pieces)

LEGO Ultimate Building Set - 405 Pieces (6166)

LEGO Bricks & More Builders of Tomorrow Set - 650 pieces

Here are the creator sets, you can see the great variety of colors and piece selection in these. You can build a well-rounded starter set from these alone by mixing and matching. Many of the creator sets come with schematics to build 3 different things from the pieces inside each box. The new Fierce Flyer and Power Mech creator sets are particularly cool IMO, I just ordered 1 of each for myself.

Top Bottom