• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So I drew out £20 to go out for drinks last night and then ended up staying at home. Technically that makes the money in my wallet already spent, so I may as well hand it in somewhere in exchange for LEGO on the way home from work. That makes sense, right?

Makes sense. As a matter of fact, you should reward yourself for saving the money on something that only lasts a day. Spend £20 + reward on something that will last a lifetime or more such as LEGO.

Definitely on my non-license non-CMF fave list.
yM3iRbT.png

Classic space minifigs also have a special place on my fave list.

Like this guy mainly for the head. Wish it didn't have the markings on the back of the head.

atl004.jpg

Galaxy Squad minifigs are high on my list. Not sure if they make my fave list yet.

Loving that Summer set actually... provided it IS cheaper than Spring scene because it's also smaller hmm, when will it be out again?

Also: On May 4th when i take my trip to the Lego store and they have the Friends Yacht available, i am not sure i can resist lol ;)

Someone tell me it's crazy expensive so i have a reason to not get it pls!

It is crazy cool and there has NEVER EVER been a boat piece like that in WHITE. Oh yeah, it's probably crazy expensive, but probably totally worth it. Does this help? :)

Ironmask

I'll add this as an edit, but a fairly random discussion question! What are everyone's favourite minifigs outside of the collectible series? You can name ones from licensed sets, but I could probably list so many Star Wars/Super Hero ones and it's more interesting thinking of ones that aren't tied to an existing franchise but still look great.

this badass

lego.jpg

Edit: I'll add this as an edit, but a fairly random discussion question! What are everyone's favourite minifigs outside of the collectible series? You can name ones from licensed sets, but I could probably list so many Star Wars/Super Hero ones and it's more interesting thinking of ones that aren't tied to an existing franchise but still look great.

I love this question. I'm going to break out the camera when I get home tonight.

Anyone been to the Lego Store at Disneyworld? What's it like? Does it have a good PAB wall?

The one at Downtown Disney in Orlando?

I go there every time I'm in Florida on business. It's a great store-much bigger than most. There are a couple of exclusive items there such as a mini model of the big Sea Serpent, and the PAB wall is pretty standard. The staff is really friendly.

The rules for the PAB wall are pretty well defined which is why you so often see the same pieces across LEGO stores. They have a limited number of plates & tiles which is why you so rarely see the oft-coveted non decorated 1x2 tiles. The stores are apparently encouraged to order "odd" pieces to encourage creativity and play.

Anyone been to the Lego Store at Disneyworld? What's it like? Does it have a good PAB wall?

I went last December. It is a very big store but I honestly didn't pay attention to the PAB wall then because I was still in LEGO dark age. It's when I got back from my vacation that I start digging up my son old LEGO set because of what I saw at the store pique my interest.

Blacktron. So badass even the visor is opaque. Like a boss.

Daft Punk: The Lego.

I like the original Captain Redbeard, the first generation Space Police and Blacktron as well as Futuron. Another random favourite is the transparent green stuff, like many early Space canopies. I just love that deep shade of green. Does any newer stuff have that color scheme?

Daft Punk: The Lego.

I like the original Captain Redbeard, the first generation Space Police and Blacktron as well as Futuron. Another random favourite is the transparent green stuff, like many early Space canopies. I just love that deep shade of green. Does any newer stuff have that color scheme?

Hydronauts?

Draxal

Edit: I'll add this as an edit, but a fairly random discussion question! What are everyone's favourite minifigs outside of the collectible series? You can name ones from licensed sets, but I could probably list so many Star Wars/Super Hero ones and it's more interesting thinking of ones that aren't tied to an existing franchise but still look great.

Sith Trooper

All though if a proper Sith guy/Jedi heavy armor from old republic comes out and is done well, I'd be ecstatic.

Flix knows what's up with that Blacktron fig. No idea where I got mine but I love it too. Sorry for the dark photos.

From the CMF series I'm a really big fan of the gorilla suit man. The fact that his eyes line up perfectly and he is sweating make this a big winner.

This dude's face is killing it.

I have to say I'm a huge fan of this figure. I think he's the highlight of the A-Wing set...even better than Ackbar's coffee cup.

Not a minifig...but in retrospect they're so fucked up looking. Keeeeel meeeee.

Still have a bunch of these guys. Loved them as a kid. I think there must have been some figure-focused sets because I sure don't have a lot of castle sets.

....and my choice for the greatest minifig of all, hands down. Classic Blue Space Man owns. Yellow is a close second but it's still second.

Bonus pic! Don't trust him.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lego+minifigure+stand

A bunch on eBay. I search under Minifigures stand. I don't know if 60 for $20 is a good deal or not but this one guy have a bunch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-BULK-L...ding_Toys_US&hash=item43b30f4966#ht_162wt_985

Thanks to both of you, much appreciated.

Going to grab a bunch of them as I've just bought a new glass cabinet and will have plenty of display room for minifigs :)

Katoki

Maybe this self control thing will kick in when I can't find any more room to put unopened sets. Clicking and buying is much easier than finding the time to start a build.

I went last December. It is a very big store but I honestly didn't pay attention to the PAB wall then because I was still in LEGO dark age. It's when I got back from my vacation that I start digging up my son old LEGO set because of what I saw at the store pique my interest.

The one at Downtown Disney in Orlando?

I go there every time I'm in Florida on business. It's a great store-much bigger than most. There are a couple of exclusive items there such as a mini model of the big Sea Serpent, and the PAB wall is pretty standard. The staff is really friendly.

The rules for the PAB wall are pretty well defined which is why you so often see the same pieces across LEGO stores. They have a limited number of plates & tiles which is why you so rarely see the oft-coveted non decorated 1x2 tiles. The stores are apparently encouraged to order "odd" pieces to encourage creativity and play.

Thanks, you two! That helps. Yeah it is the one in Downtown Disney. I don't plan on buying much, as that means I need to pack it up go the flight home, but it's nice to know they have at least one exclusive item.

The Master Builders get a bunch of different headgear in the various Master Builder Academy sets. The helmet is from one of those, but I can't specifically recall which one.

Your minifig in the green outfit helmet is different. That's the one I'm curious about. It's a cool helmet.

http://www.bricklink.com/browseList.asp?itemType=M&catString=764

The green one also carries a hefty price tag on it. It'd be cool to have those minifigs, but it's not something I'd pay much for.

Kryten

Finally got around to collecting my friend's Technic sets that he no longer wanted/needed as he's vacating the country and moving to Tokyo. I'm stoked that he took the time to pull the sets apart, but damn if this doesn't look like a lot of fun work coming up (the bags are sorted by set and labelled with the set number, thank god!).

technic.jpg

Unimog, Excavator and Super Car, for the price of the Unimog alone. On top of the Helicopter which I'm getting for my birthday and the swing wing jet I assembled earlier in the month, this is truly The Month Of Technic.

Here is my favorite ... Chicken-man

4KfaNwzl.jpg

He goes with everything, even that Jedi Shuttle looks like it was custom made for him with giant wings and red and white color scheme. :)

I fly out of Buffalo pretty regularly and usually stop off at that very TRU...it has never yielded any good finds for me. Apparently there is a TRU Express in some place called Niagara Square Mall. I've heard that it is not frequently visited so you may have better luck.
Yeah, I've only been to that TRU Express once before, and that was before I seriously got into LEGO again. I've completely forgotten that it's there, which is unusual because my family goes to the Cineplex theatre there all the time. I should check it out every now and then if I'm going to be right there anyway.

Niagara Square Mall is a pretty quiet mall with lots of empty stores in it. People in the region generally frequent the Pen Centre in St.Catharines as their mall of choice. I remember that the TRU Express was sparsely stocked, which probably explains why I had forgotten all about it. And yes, the regular TRU store just off the Lake Street exit is pretty standard and rarely has any great deals on LEGO aside from the usual 20% off sales. If they ever have any good deals, I'll be sure to post it here.

flyingpig

Neo Member
Finally got around to collecting my friend's Technic sets that he no longer wanted/needed as he's vacating the country and moving to Tokyo. I'm stoked that he took the time to pull the sets apart, but damn if this doesn't look like a lot of fun work coming up (the bags are sorted by set and labelled with the set number, thank god!).

technic.jpg

Unimog, Excavator and Super Car, for the price of the Unimog alone. On top of the Helicopter which I'm getting for my birthday and the swing wing jet I assembled earlier in the month, this is truly The Month Of Technic.

Nice sets! The latest Supercar is a personal fave. Also goes for an easy two bills used (!!!)

Chuck

Still without luck
Our friends at Tested.com found a little experiment and wrote a little story.

Many people build LEGO sets just once and then put them on display, but these building blocks are meant to be taken apart and reassembled into different forms. Phillipe Cantin wanted to find out how many times a piece of LEGO could be used before the connections wear out, and built an Arduino-based machine to automate that test. A servo-motor controlled arm connected and disconnected two pieces of LEGO (standard six-stud connection), and an infrared sensor checked to see if the LEGO piece was sticking. The test--which Cantin says was noisy--took 102 hours to perform, and confirmed 37,112 actions before the LEGO bricks no longer connected. The more you know!

http://www.tested.com/art/lego/454947-lifespan-lego/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tnb-LUM0yd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TNj5kqwFNM0#!

Dragoshi1

Bought "The Lego Book" book today at Target, seems like a good read! Covers up until near the end of 2012, so no 2013 sets like Lone Ranger and Chima. Maybe for this year they'll do another book.

Inspired by the minifig favorite thing, i shuffled through my old Lego box and found these guys:

Actually pisses me off that not ONE of those is "complete" they all have either a cracked helmet or like the BlackTron crew to the left is missing a visor etc. :( Tempted to order an opaque visor on BrickLink so i can have at least one complete BlackTron fig :(

By the way what space sub theme is the front zippered guy from exactly?

Also found this guy:

Is he just some old ass generic Pirate captain or does he have a name as well?

Zipper guy is Futuron, the first successor to Space. Generally the same as the old ones, but zippers and new helmets with blue visors. It went Space -> Futuron -> Blacktron/Space Police -> M:Tron -> Blacktron/Space Police 2 and then Ice Planet I believe.

Oh, and Futuron guy should have yellow legs and yellow air tanks.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Yellow_Futuron_Astronaut

Pirate guy is Redbeard, although he should have a two-pointed hat with a pirate skull. That hat is for the second-in-command of the soldiers. I think I used to have four of him, but only two are complete now.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Redbeard

Zipper guy is Futuron, the first successor to Space. Generally the same as the old ones, but zippers and new helmets with blue visors. It went Space -> Futuron -> Blacktron/Space Police -> M:Tron -> Blacktron/Space Police 2 and then Ice Planet I believe.

Oh, and Futuron guy should have yellow legs and yellow air tanks.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Yellow_Futuron_Astronaut

Pirate guy is Redbeard, although he should have a two-pointed hat with a pirate skull. That hat is for the second-in-command of the soldiers. I think I used to have four of him, but only two are complete now.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Redbeard
Zipper guys of all colors replaced the classic space figures. They cam in black, red, blue, yellow, and I think green. I don't have any green ones so not sure. The next year was the black with white helmet and red visor...Space Police!

Thanks for the infos...

Yeah i never had a Blue Spaceman i think...

So that's who that Pirate Capn was then... well shit, in that case i don't even have HIM complete either with that hat missing :((((

The regular spacemen did NOT have visors though correct?

edit: just checked, they do not luckily. Oh and Phon, they make no mention of a green one although i bet he woulda looked awesome! http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Classic_Spaceman

I find it a bit strange that the old Space helmets have dimples in them for the visors, even though they weren't designed for Futuron visors (they don't sit tightly on the helmets). Were the helmets used for some Castle set first?

Actually pisses me off that not ONE of those is "complete" they all have either a cracked helmet or like the BlackTron crew to the left is missing a visor etc. :( Tempted to order an opaque visor on BrickLink so i can have at least one complete BlackTron fig :(

Great pic! It highlights one of the real reasons Classic Blue Space dude is my favorite...probably because I treated him with ridiculous care. Amazing to me that after 27 years he still has his golden emblem!

Got him with this horrid set:

6940-1.jpg

I find it a bit strange that the old Space helmets have dimples in them for the visors, even though they weren't designed for Futuron visors (they don't sit tightly on the helmets). Were the helmets used for some Castle set first?

Not that I remember and the castle helmets all had a different mold than the space ones.

I miss those sets...=(

Man, I swear I have one of those blue space men and I know for sure I have the Ice Planet guy from that pic. Looks like I'm gonna have to dig up my childhood Legos this weekend.

Top Bottom